Recent content by scoobydo

1. scoobydo

Removing Paint Lettering Like a Boss!

Thanks. I'm going to try it again on another engine and will definitely take pics this time.
  2. scoobydo

Removing Paint Lettering Like a Boss!

So I have a Pere Marquette that I have been wanting to re-letter. (Bachmann) The lettering is paint and slightly raised. I heard about the denatured alcohol trick, but wondered how I would get it to stay put while it soaked-in without getting everywhere and also drying-up on me. Well at work...
  3. scoobydo

Removing Paint Lettering from Black Plastic

Its a Pere Marquette 1225. Anybody know if the shell is painted or just plastic? Also, anybody know what that yellow is so I can match the color? The lettering looks raised and feels it too. I wonder of I could get an xacto in the raised bits to get as much off as possible.
  4. scoobydo

Its a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire. My concern are the ones addresses. Bubbling paint and warping plastic.
  5. scoobydo

I have a steam engine and the tender looks to just be black molded plastic with gold lettering for the rail name. I want to rename it and was wondering about removing the lettering. I don't want to use anything harsh as I don't want the plastic to discolor causing me to re-paint it. Any...
  6. scoobydo

Rivarossi Performance/Details Info

Great Stuff, Thank You Selector. Sounds like they are a good engine all around. I have never dealt with LokSound decoders, but I am sure I can find some youtube videos to hear what they are all about. I'm glad to hear about the detailing as that was a concern of mine. The only Rivarossi's I...
  7. scoobydo

Rivarossi Performance/Details Info

Hey all. I just ordered the new Rivarossi UP Big Boy with sound. (HR2358) I have plenty of Steamers from Athearn Genesis, MTH and Bachmann Spectrum, but I have never picked up or run a Rivarossi? What is the performance/features compared to the other three that I have? How would it rate...
  8. scoobydo

N Scale Power setup: Same as HO?

Thanks! I just set up the daylight train and track this morning for my son and it looks pretty nice. I bought an assortment of cars from Atlas, Bachmann to Intermountain. Definitely have to say the intermountain refrigerator cars are nice. As you can see my son is not into keeping cars in...
  9. scoobydo

So then is the power/voltage is exactly the same as in HO? I know the power to the track is constant and the decoder only allows what is needed via your throttle commands, but I wasn't sure if N scale decoders were different. If this is true, I could just leave the power setup intact for...
  10. scoobydo

Hey guys, quick question. I have just purchased a KATO GS-4 Steamer with the EM-13 Decoder and plan on letting my son try N scale. We currently only run HO and some O. I have an MRC 200 power supply with an MRC Blackbox to get the DCC functions from our HO fleet. Simple setup. My son is 6...
  11. scoobydo

Replacment detail parts

Have you tried Details West? http://www.detailswest.com/
  12. scoobydo

Port of Oakland, CA

The Port of Oakland is only about 40 minutes away as I live in San Jose. I wanted to take my son down to check out the trains and all the freight and inter-modal equipment. And of course, those cranes. Anybody know where regular folk can hang out to just check out the action? From Google...
  13. scoobydo

MTH 8 Car Passenger Set

Great, Thanks. I was actually thinking of painting them black as well. My son is into MTH. When he was three, he would make us play that informational DVD that came with his starter daylight bantam set. To this day he still watches it. It reminds me of a cheesy 1980's informative video. It just...
  14. scoobydo

Are the E-Z track turnouts really that bad?

My son went the same route! Its a natural progression from Thomas to the real stuff. His interests turned when he saw that "Extreme Trains" episode with the UP 844. Ever since then it has been real trains all the way! Its been such a great hobby for my son and I. I started out with True...
  15. scoobydo

MTH 8 Car Passenger Set

Well I finally gave my son his new train set. An MTH SP Daylight and the Southern Pacific Lines Version of the 8 car Passenger set also from MTH. I have had both of these ever since they came out, but have been waiting to give to my son. (I have a ton of trains I buy and then gift to him on...

Back