Replacment detail parts

computernerd

I have a few old HO scale locomotives that I wish to restore, but they are missing quite a few detail parts like handrails and grab irons.

The Proto 2000 GP18, E8A, BL2, FA2, and an SD7 drives all work but a lot of work may be necessary on the shells. Does anyone know where to get spare parts (official or unofficial) to replace them? I don't mind getting a replacement shell either. I tried contacting Walthers but they said they didn't have any in stock for any of the locomotives. I also check Ebay, but not much shows up.

I also have a Kato GP35 that needs the front and back handrails.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get these parts that would be awesome. I like to build models too, and installation doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks

Original replacement parts that are available directly from the manufacturer of the items is increasingly an almost hopeless situation. In most instances only a very small amount of such items are available at the time of production and no further examples are ever made thereafter. It would appear that the manufacturers feel that the window for repairs on their latest models amounts to a year, perhaps two, or until the parts supply runs out, which ever comes first. After that those seeking replacement parts are essentially on their own. This has been going on now for perhaps half a dozen years.

Thus, with rare exceptions where the model(s) might be some sort of a popular semi-collectible type (i.e. Tyco/Mantua), very few independent suppliers have evolved to provide replacement parts. The hobbyist must rely on old shells, or non-functioning models, that may occasionally be found on sites such as eBay to fill the need for parts.

Smokey Valley, Yard Bird and a few other cottage industries do offer certain "exact replacement parts", but these are the exceptions. While parts companies like Details West do offer various types of scale model parts, few if any are intended as true "replacement parts" identical to the ones found on the original models.

NYW&B

Back