Recent content by QRR Fan

1. QRR Fan

Weekly Photo Fun 8-23 thru 8-30

Those Zephyr shots could almost be on Altamont Pass near Livermore, or the mouth of the Feather River Canyon just outside Oroville. I love it.
  2. QRR Fan

Weekly photo fun 6/21-6/28

It may not be a model, but I thought I'd share this one.
  3. QRR Fan

Loco Roster

Just updated mine.
  4. QRR Fan

Wpf 9/7 - 9/13

It's my turn to start this weeks thread! I just added WP 1503 to my fleet. This little SW1500 is one of the four I own which the prototype belongs to the Feather River Rail Society and is located at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, CA. I had to throw in my certificate from last...
  5. QRR Fan

Wpf 8/31 - 9/6

It was a BLAST! Two hours behind the throttle of two amazing locos. First hour in QRR 1100, a TR6-A (former SP 1100). It's so hard to see around the long hood on her, I see why Sierra Pacific Ind. runs their locos in reverse. Second hour was in SP 2873, a GP9E in faded Kodachrome paint. I love...
  6. QRR Fan

Wpf 8/31 - 9/6

Current state of my layout. More of a loco collection than anything. Going to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum tomorrow to participate in their "Run a Locomotive" program. I'll operate QRR 1100 and SP 2873. I'm so excited. I'll get some pics and videos up when I get the chance to.
  7. QRR Fan

First attempt with airbrush paints

That flaky rust on the roof corners looks amazing.
  8. QRR Fan

Stripping paint from plastic models

I mix about 5 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part brake fluid. Takes 5 to 15 minutes. You cant use synthetic brake fluid, it has to be the older "natural" stuff.
  9. QRR Fan

A question on wheels

Neither axle point is insulated from the other. I have a couple Walthers cars with plastic axles and they seem fine. I think the BLI axles are just poor construction. The plastic axles may be my only option.
  10. QRR Fan

A question on wheels

The BLI cars have pickup plates in the truck sideframes via the axle points. Intermountain wheelsets only insulate one wheel from the whole axle. The axle stubs look to be shorter than any other axle I've worked with. Those atlas wheels look like they'll work. Are they reliable?
  11. QRR Fan

A question on wheels

I have a few Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars that have some major derailment issues. I read somewhere to clean up the molding flash around the top of the truck, so I did, and I still had a problem. I decided to check the gauge on all of the wheels. Almost all of the plastic axles are...
  12. QRR Fan

Central Valley 150' Pratt Truss Bridge Abutments

The Chooch abutments are all cut stone. I'm looking for concrete.
  13. QRR Fan

Scalescenes Cargo Freighter

I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I get to a difficult part, or one that requires my full attention, I have to hit pause.
  14. QRR Fan

Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Jim, you'd better hurry up with that. There's a bear coming this way, and I don't think this shovel's gonna do any good.

Back