A question on wheels

QRR Fan

Engine Collector
I have a few Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars that have some major derailment issues. I read somewhere to clean up the molding flash around the top of the truck, so I did, and I still had a problem. I decided to check the gauge on all of the wheels. Almost all of the plastic axles are either bent or cracked, causing the wheels to wobble as they roll. No wonder they derailed all the time. I hear that a lot of people have this problem but I can't find an adequate replacement for them. I need the wheels to have the insulating axle for the lights. Intermountain style will not work. Anyone replace their wheelsets with something that works?

I wonder if Atlas wheels would work?

195100.jpg

I need the wheels to have the insulating axle for the lights. Intermountain style will not work.
All wheel sets would be insulating so they don't short out the track.

How are the pick-ups done on those Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars?
Is there a wiper on the axials or on the back of the wheels?

Next is the length the the axials, there are several 'standard' lengths.

I have a few Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars that have some major derailment issues. I read somewhere to clean up the molding flash around the top of the truck, so I did, and I still had a problem. I decided to check the gauge on all of the wheels. Almost all of the plastic axles are either bent or cracked, causing the wheels to wobble as they roll. No wonder they derailed all the time. I hear that a lot of people have this problem but I can't find an adequate replacement for them. I need the wheels to have the insulating axle for the lights. Intermountain style will not work. Anyone replace their wheelsets with something that works?
Hmmm, my first set of BLI California Zephyr cars (the first run) had many out-of-gauge wheel sets. But all I had to do was take them out of the truck, twist them in our out to the right gauge, and re-insert them into the truck. I don't think any were wobbley or cracked. The 2nd half of the first run, and the second run didn't cause me any problems either. Out of 41 cars I cannot claim a single broken or wobbley axle set. Which run are yours from?

Some of the smoothest wheelsets and the ones that run the furthest along a level track, I've got, have been Bachman "silver series". The worst and roughest are on 3 Rapido "super continental line" cars. They're so bad the roughness on the treads is visible.

Fun you should mention Rapido, Ray. My super contientals aren't the best rollers either. That is one set of cars that I'm looking to replace the wheelsets.

Fun you should mention Rapido, Ray. My super contientals aren't the best rollers either. That is one set of cars that I'm looking to replace the wheelsets.

As we say here, "they're shockers, mate". They won't run along the track more than a foot when given a push and if you roll them with your hand resting lightly on them you can actually feel the roughness, like a ball bearing race when it's worn out. I don't know whether we got the rejects out here or an early production run or what. I love the detail of the cars, mind you I've had to CA every step, handrail etc.

Why won't Intermountain wheelsets work in BLI pax cars? Have you given any thought to Reboxx wheelsets as they probably make them for BLIs. Also have you reamed out the axle point holes.

The BLI cars have pickup plates in the truck sideframes via the axle points. Intermountain wheelsets only insulate one wheel from the whole axle. The axle stubs look to be shorter than any other axle I've worked with.

Those atlas wheels look like they'll work. Are they reliable?

The BLI cars have pickup plates in the truck sideframes via the axle points. Intermountain wheelsets only insulate one wheel from the whole axle. The axle stubs look to be shorter than any other axle I've worked with.

Those atlas wheels look like they'll work. Are they reliable?

Wheelsets w/ metal axles like Intermountain only insulate one wheel. Why is that a problem w the BLI pickup? The problem w/ Atlas wheelsets is they also have plastic axles. Here's the Reboxx website link but they don't list BLI: http://www.reboxx.com/products.htm
Try contacting them to see if they can help you:
http://www.reboxx.com/contact_us.htm

Neither axle point is insulated from the other.
I have a couple Walthers cars with plastic axles and they seem fine. I think the BLI axles are just poor construction. The plastic axles may be my only option.

Neither axle point is insulated from the other.
I have a couple Walthers cars with plastic axles and they seem fine. I think the BLI axles are just poor construction. The plastic axles may be my only option.

Have you checked out Reboxx?

QRR fan, my understanding is that the axles need to be half axle type insulation (as per split axle locos). Is that the case?

If so, take a look at this webpage:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn1/ExtraPickUps.htm

Scroll down to the bit where the old style Kadee coupler pocket brass springs are used to create a wheel back wiping pick up. Very nifty idea, I must say. I'm going to do this on my rapido coaches for track powered lighting. I also intend to do the same thing to some snowplows to power their headlights.

Making your old pick ups and using Intermountain wheels might be the solution to your problem. Reboxx (Cajon, are they still avaliable?) have the added advantage of being avaliable with different axles lengths so to get a nice fit on any brand bogie.

Wait, there's another idea. Covert your cars using walthers bogies.

Otherwise, you'll have to get the BLI wheels with split axles. Though NWSL do make split axle wheelsets. I'll just check....

Seems NWSL split axle wheels have blunt ends:

http://www.nwsl.com/uploads/cat_chap3_for_web.pdf

Gee, they look nice though.

So there are a few ideas. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
To paraphrase the old Castrol oil ad "Wheels ain't (just) wheels".

and I thought buying wheels and tyres for my 88 honda CRX was bad enough.

Back