Recent content by Prime12

1. P

Ways to get an Amtrak P42 in phase V?

hey now you are talking to someone who can barely avoid running paint with a rattle can :p:(
  2. P

Ways to get an Amtrak P42 in phase V?

I want one in phase V scheme but as I know it hasn't been available since a brief limited run last year. They do pop on ebay from time to time but more often than not they fetch ridiculous prices or I don't get to win the bid. Any tips on obtaining these? Can I get an earlier scheme and order...
  3. P

What glue for gluing foam to plywood?

I am trying to glue a 4x8 insulation foam to my plywood tabletop. The bond doesn't need to be strong but I'd like the foam board to be able to stay put when I move the table or what not. What can I use? I am thinking about elmers glue / water mix. Would that be too weak?
  4. P

Not your average 4x8

Full link here I didn't even imagine that such configuration even existed :eek:.
  5. P

Tracks laid - what's 'next'?

I am working on my very first layout (a HO 4x8), and just finished tracklaying and wiring stuff (plywood - 1 1/2 foam - cork roadbed - track). My next objective: How do I make my foam layer look like, well, a real ground layer? I tried to look around but 99% of guides out there seem to be...
  6. P

Generic boxcar brown paint?

I guess it's more complicated than I thought. This is only my second 'brown' boxcar and I assumed they were all same colors. Thanks for the help guys.:)
  7. P

Generic boxcar brown paint?

I need to install and paint grab irons on a walthers boxcar I just got. Is there a specific paint that is the 'generic' boxcar brown color? This is the car I'm working on:
  8. P

Very tight radius curve...

Oh wow. Now I don't feel so bad about my 22'' curves anymore..:)
  9. P

My new loco needs a 'warm up' time?

Thanks for the responses guys. You guys were dead on. I turned the bemf off, and although it doesn't creep at 1 scale mph anymore, it is very very smooth :D. Since it can still move at slower than walking pace, I have no problem with it. I'm going to read up on yahoo group archives and at...
  10. P

My new loco needs a 'warm up' time?

I am in process of putting a Tsunami sound decoder into a P2K GP38-2, and am having this strange problem. This is on my new 4x8 layout (meaning clean rails) powered by a Digitrax Zephyr. Although the loco will start moving at a very slow pace, it does so in a 'jerky' kind of way, as if...
  11. P

Vibrations only in reverse

I got started in the hobby not too long ago, so I only have two locos, Athearn RTR SD40-2 and Athearn Genesis MP15AC. Both exhibit minute vibrations when running, but only in reverse. I don't find the vibration itself offensive; I can barely see it or hear it when the loco is running alone...
  12. P

How old are YOU?

I see a lot of 25 yrs olds here! I just turned 25 last month myself :).
  13. P

4x8 HO layout... recommendations?

Thanks for the opinions guys. Most of the time I'll be doing switching but at the same time I do want to see a short amtrak train run on it from time to time :o. It'll only be doing outer ovals though; I won't be forcing it through #4 switches or anything. Is even that going to be too much? I...
  14. P

4x8 HO layout... recommendations?

hey guys, I just got into trains last winter and am still planning my (real) first layout. This is what I have right now on my train table: I assembled the layout temporarily so I can learn how the trains worked and try out magnetic decoupling. The rails aren't even being held down...
  15. P

Layout base alternatives?

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I was expecting maybe 3 replies at most. It just shows how close-knit the community is :eek:. Irongrave, that's a very generous offer, but it's almost too generous for me to accept (no other meanings intended or implied). After thinking about this for a few...

Back