Recent content by mavrick0

1. M

MTH o scale BNSF SD70 ACE question please help

Well to put an extra point in my favour I worked for a company that use to make the cabs for EMD in london ontario. I worked on cabs for UP and BNSF SD70Ace's and CN SD70M-2's and this was one item of many we installed before shipping them out.
  2. M

MTH o scale BNSF SD70 ACE question please help

Actually they are part of the satellite and radio communication system used on the engines. Nothing to do with a/c.
  3. M

Question about Kato N scale

Here's a good referance chart for you. http://www.katousa.com/N/Unitrack/g-single.html I would suggest p/n 20-132 which is a 13 3/4" radius.
  4. M

Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

I help and run at a friends layout and I'm the only one that can effectively run long trains up to 100 cars because they are only MTL couplers. Now this isn't on a level layout, it's 2 levels with a 4 track helix at a 2% grade. We've had too many issues with accumates breaking, loosing pins...
  5. M

Thoughts on Walthers 5 Car Double Stack Set

I have every one of the Kato's that have been released as well as everyone of the Walthers 5-unit that has been released plus doubles. The Walthers aren't bad out of the box but with a little help can be made great. First is using gold medal detail parts to make them look better from there it...
  6. M

How do I troubleshoot a new Kato?

I wouldn't worry about Kato charging you. A friend had issues with a one truck on the SD40-2 mid and Kato sent him a new pair free of charge.
  7. M

Out of the 100 plus Kato's I have none that have this issue. It is either a bad motor or simply the contact between the frame and board. There might be enough contact for the LED's to light but not enough for power to get to the motor. The easiest way is clip to the motor contacts with the...
  8. M

N-scale Kato's were never hardwired to the trucks, this was done in HO only. First thing I would do it slide the light board back and forth a bit to see if it's a contact issue. Also make sure that the motor contacts are under the wings of the light board. Was this engine new or used, also is...
  9. M

Converting couplers

And just to make it easy this is the site you want to look at and check out their conversion charts as they may help you as well. http://www.micro-trains.com/ Kadee = HO-scale Micro Trains = N-scale
  10. M

N Scale specific magazines.

I don't subscribe to any mags but pick up MR as well as N-scale and N-Scale Railroading(NSR) which are the two N-scale specific mags that I get from a local train shop and they both have good articles and are well worth the money. The only complaint that a lot of people have is it would be...
  11. M

DCC, DC, and Maybe BS

In one of your posts you mentioned you hadn't hooked up the new transformer. If this is the case what transformer have you been using. One thing I haven't seen anyone mentioned is while running in DC you can not use a transformer that pulses the output, which is common for momentum and slow...
  12. M

Santa Fe engine ID please

I would agree and say it's the latest run of the Athearn FP45's, but all I can say is good luck finding them. Any place I know that ordered them sold out very quickly. There are more runs coming out plus the DCC/sound units still haven't arrived so you could get lucky enough to get a couple of...
  13. M

Computer and Digitrax PR3

Actually the PR3 can provide power to the track if you are using the suggested 12v power supply. However it won't supply enough to run a layout. I know this because after I program a decoder with the PR3 I open up the throttle on JMRI and use it to test the decoders functions and make sure...
  14. M

Grain Hopper

Roads mean the railroad company that own or lease the equipment. ie: Canadian National, BNSF, CSX, etc. MT couplers and trucks mean they are equipped with Micro-Train line trucks and couplers.
  15. M

Grain Hopper

Check here: http://www.imrcmodels.com/n/nhoppers.htm

Back