Recent content by Lionel fan

1. Lionel fan

Train display shelf and sunlight

I'm not sure about the dichroic lamps, but I use LED strip lighting for my Lionel display cases. I'm lucky enough to have my train room in the basement in a room with no windows. I don't have to worry much about sunlight damaging my large Lionel collection.
  2. Lionel fan

OO and HO Differences Where and Why?

O scale and O gauge are different. Lionel started mass producing O gauge trains in the late 20s to now. But these trains were not scale. They are now referred to as postwar scale trains. O scale, which Lionel produces some, as well as MTH and Atlas, is a bit bigger.
  3. Lionel fan

Is Interest In Model Railroading Dwindling?

Yes, the price can be a big factor. I can tell you right now that if my parents were not as successful as they are, I would not be as active in the hobby. I have several thousands of dollars in my HO layout, as well as the beautiful room that is "The Train Room", plus around 20-30 thousand...
  4. Lionel fan

Is Interest In Model Railroading Dwindling?

DJTrains, that's exaclty right about the work ethic in America. I'm 16, and at school, when I see the quality of my peers, I weep for the future. I like to think that my parents raised me right, because they have instilled in me a strong, good work ethic. I am in honors and AP classes, and I can...
  5. Lionel fan

tooter goes big time...

Oh great! Do you plan to spend more time on this project? I know how you feel, I have 5 other projects I am trying to work on in addidion to school.
  6. Lionel fan

What do you think?

Nice. But it looks like it's a little long to use bumpers?
  7. Lionel fan

Combining 2 favorite hobbies

Neat! Since it is your layout, you can add whatever you wish to it. I really love Walt Disney World, I think it's a great place. So, I have a Disney Transport bus on my layout, along with characters like Goofy, Donald, Minnie, and Mickey.
  8. Lionel fan

Our little HO 4X8....

This is something she will remember the rest of her life. Nice work, it's amazing what you can do in 4x8 feet of space
  9. Lionel fan

Layout Underway At Last

Very nice, I'm excited to see some progress.
  10. Lionel fan

Helix: A potentially stupid idea

Me too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of this. I have also thought that it would be cool to have a whole house, or warehouse, to build a gigantic layout. I was actually at a Home Furniture Warehouse and all I could think was "I could build a HUGE layout in here!"
  11. Lionel fan

Constucting my 1st walk around layout.

Wow nice work! I'm glad to see other people my age taking an interest in model trains. I'm only 16, and I've got a 4x12 layout, but I'm already thinking bigger! I'm excited to see more done with the layout.
  12. Lionel fan

Helix: A potentially stupid idea

Hey has anyone ever thought about building a bi-level layout. But by bi-level, I mean have the layout take two floors of your house. There would need to be an insanely huge helix to bring trains between levels. On the lower level, you can hide the helix in a huge mountain that goes to the...
  13. Lionel fan

How big would you go?

My plan for the future... Buy a ranch style house and FILL it with an O scale empire. Probably model the entire NYC and PRR. I would retire and spend all my time and social security on doing it entirely myself. That's my hope.
  14. Lionel fan

Interior lighting for ho scale styrene models

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/top-emitting/filter/Color,Warm_White,3,2: http://www.ecolightled.com/category/led_strip_light_tape/?r=b_ribbon These are like the lights I used. They are also handy for other uses, I used some to light up my Lionel display cases. They have all different...

Back