Recent content by Joe G

1. J

Six Units To Sycamore. CGW Project

Great job, beautiful looking units, especially the spacing between the units. Joe
  2. J

BLI vs MTH K4s

Thanks for everyones input. I was looking for the "Post War" version which BLI offers in the 5000 number series. That would fit in with my thoughts of modeling the PRR in the pre PC, pre Amtrak, pre NJT days. Of course the K4 would be a strretch, but whose to say that in my world they didn't...
  3. J

BLI vs MTH K4s

Was intending to purchase an HO BLI PRR K4, which just hit the market recently, but noticed that MTH is advertising a K4 in their 2013 HO catalog. Would anyone care to comment on these two units or the general pros and cons of BLI vs MTH steamers. Thanks
  4. J

New York and Long Branch in HO

Jerry, I have been following your progress and I must say that your layout is amazing. I am 62, grew up in Brooklyn and currently live in Morganville NJ. When I was old enough to travel on my own in the mid 60s, I spent some quality time railfanning at South Amboy. Great to see your...
  5. J

BLI PRR K4 Project

A heads up to all you PRR fans, seems that BLI has announced Tsunami equipped PRR K4s with an msrp of $499 and a winter 2012 delivery date. LHS is offering a 20% discount, Factory Direct Trains is advertising $399, but can BLI deliver in 2012, 13, 14. Joe
  6. J

Let's Talk Mth

Not to rehash old issues, but; I have never had a problem running my MTH GG1 for two reasons. 1) Prior to the Christmas holidays layout construction was halted and hasn't resumed. 2) MTH has never delivered the GG1 which was promised for the fall of 2011. Here's hoping that other...
  7. J

How much do you spend on this a month?

As a recent returnee, I have at times, well all the time, been overwhelmed by the prices. I have been purchasing pre PC PRR pieces when the budget permits. What gets me is the manufacturers tactic of pre-ordering. I have some money tied up in the pre ordered MTH GG1 and the ConCor MP54 MUs, with...
  8. J

BLI PRR K4 Project

Is that the big date on the Mayan Calendar or when MTH may deliver their GG1 or are the two dates the same.
  9. J

BLI PRR K4 Project

Thanks, is there an estimated delivery date for the K4? I think that the K4 will be my first steamer. Also, are the PRR NW2 and SW7 the second runs of this model. In the case of BLI products, do you believe that the second runs of these models will be an improvement over the first. Joe:)
  10. J

BLI PRR K4 Project

Any idea as to how much the BLI K4s will be? I am interested in the BLI Paragon2 PRR NW2 and SW7, any feedback on those. Joe:)
  11. J

double stack ?

Modellers Gold Bars work well also. Pick some up at the Federal Reserve Hobby Supply store. Joe:p
  12. J

First steps

The way your tracks are configred looks more like a subway car storage yard. If you brought the mainline tracks inside the yard tracks, you could have a riverside yard similar to anyone of the pre Penn Central/Conrail harborside operations. Stub yard tracks that end in either a car float or...
  13. J

proposed layout

Nice looking layout. I don't have one of my own, since my kids have yet to move their stuff out of the basement. I have started to buy PRR stuff and have 5 cars of the Broadway Limited. Will be happy to make a passenger stop, once I have all the pieces and MTH ships the GG1. Good Luck Joe:)
  14. J

What do you do for a living?

That's also why I wasn't involved until I retired. The 1hr+commute on NJT & NYCT, 8 to 10 hrs overseeing train operations, then the 1hr+commute back, satisfied my thirst. Hey Jim, when you can you explain the operations of yard switches with "remote control point operation" Thanks Joe
  15. J

What do you do for a living?

Post Office 68-69, USN 69-73, NYC Transit 73-2011, retired after 37yrs.

Back