Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all. Busy day today, train show up in Antracite country, not far from Palmerton, Pennsylvania and right by former Central of New Jersey mainline to Scranton. Picked up a pair of these classic tank cars:
IMG_20240317_201335045.jpg
IMG_20240317_201349329.jpg
IMG_20240317_201402443.jpg

They will deffinitely add some color to my mixed manifest and the only thing i need to do to them is to put my favorite metal wheelsets in.
IMG_20240317_201442513.jpg

Besides spending wonderfull time at the show and chatting with like minded crazys...oops railfans, i drove west from Palmerton along the old grade of L&NE:
IMG_20240317_143151967_HDR.jpg

Concrete bridge from 1912 and their Tamaqua extention over Lizard Creek. Next abandoned station in Andreas:
IMG_20240317_152534977.jpg
IMG_20240317_152358004.jpg
IMG_20240317_152619146_HDR.jpg

Inside strap iron rails for their inspection car.
IMG_20240317_152510618.jpg
IMG_20240317_152709908.jpg

This building has real slate tile roof, of which there were many more in the area, as slate was one of the resources dug in the area.

Good morning all. Tea and toast please, Flo.

I do not know what you are hearing over the pond, but here very little news is coming from Buckingham Palace. Rumours are flying.
In the news Princess of Wales is named as Kate Middleton and not P.o.W. ???
No word on King Charles' treatment for cancer.?
Queen Camilla has stopped her Royal Engagements.?
Prince William is evasive on any questions.???

That's just a few strange things going on. Now we are hearing the 'world's media' are in London expecting some kind of announcement from Buckingham Palace this week.!!!

In other news; it's Monday and I take younger granddaughter to Brownies. 😀
Dawn had a bad night, so still in bed.
I doubt I shall see the train room.

That is the 9.00am news.

Back later.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those like me, wondering why "Catherine" is short-formed down to "Kate"????

Where the bloody hells did the K come from? It's Catherine... not Katherine! But I digress... ;)

FLO: coffee, donut, and a bottle of Advil please.

Yesterday the herniated disk decided to go on walkabout and see the world again, peeping out from between the vertebrae.

Don't forget that Celestial Spring arrives this Wednesday. Weather will be wonky. We've got a few chilly/mild days, then wintry mix this weekend. Looks like one more go at making CHILI my way. Yes, I'll put pasta in it to keep the peace with the spousal unit. But my first bowl will be without. Yes, it will have bell peppers, Tomatos and some green chilis mixed in (chilis = why it's called chili)

(Figured I'd goose the "Chili/Not Chili" discussion for the new kids on the block who missed it last month.) :eek: :cool:

OK, time to start writing again. These words are the wrong words to make a book with.

PS: I'm not sure what Chef Punkin is making, but it might be Chili????
ChefPunkin1.jpg

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those like me, wondering why "Catherine" is short-formed down to "Kate"????

Where the bloody hells did the K come from? It's Catherine... not Katherine! But I digress... ;)

And why do the Press now call her Kate Middleton? Her title is Princess of Wales. Off course the title of Prince or Princess of Wales is 'unlucky' say some.

FLO: coffee, donut, and a bottle of Advil please.

Yesterday the herniated disk decided to go on walkabout and see the world again, peeping out from between the vertebrae.

Don't forget that Celestial Spring arrives this Wednesday. Weather will be wonky. We've got a few chilly/mild days, then wintry mix this weekend. Looks like one more go at making CHILI my way. Yes, I'll put pasta in it to keep the peace with the spousal unit. But my first bowl will be without. Yes, it will have bell peppers, Tomatos and some green chilis mixed in (chilis = why it's called chili)

(Figured I'd goose the "Chili/Not Chili" discussion for the new kids on the block who missed it last month.) :eek: :cool:

OK, time to start writing again. These words are the wrong words to make a book with.

PS: I'm not sure what Chef Punkin is making, but it might be Chili????
View attachment 184382
It's actually supposed to be Katherine, it's not an American name. Most languages will have it properly; Katarina (Russian), Katarzyna (Polish). Americans tend to butcher proper names and they wonder why it comes out confusing😉😆.

It's actually supposed to be Katherine, it's not an American name. Most languages will have it properly; Katarina (Russian), Katarzyna (Polish). Americans tend to butcher proper names and they wonder why it comes out confusing😉😆.
I have always found the substitution of the letter "C" for the letter "K" when it is called for irritating. This is why solicitations received by mail here with the wrong spelling go straight in the trash bin, those spelled correctly at least get opened before they go in the trash. But then I am biased.

Hint about the Press.

They're aware of Royal Protocol.

They will usually use titles when speaking/writing of them in a Royal role. But after the first usage in a piece, the stylebooks say use proper nouns and names.

In the USA, it would be "President Joe Biden cut the ribbon on a new..." followed by instances of "Mr. Biden..." more often than not in the following paragraphs. I suspect that British press follows similar guidelines.

If they're talking about non-official capacity, such as "Princess Kate sent out a photo that was altered" that's probably not an official capacity role. But, I'm not British. I've only tried to learn when to use Lord Snufflybutt vs Jim, Lord of Snufflybutt. The system is screwy, but makes perfect sense to some. ;)

Morning all,

29° at home this morning, not sure how much lower it'll go before the sun pops up. Supposed to be 50 and sunny later.

Neighbor behind me planted a couple of peach trees last year. Things are not quite 3ft tall. They have 6ft+ sheets covering them to protect them. Sadly any peaches these trees have this year will be like the tree in "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Would be best for the trees to have them grow rather than try to reproduce. My trees were twice the size when I planted then and didn't allow them to have peaches the next spring after I planted
for that reason. Makes for a healthier tree.

Back at the office, so they are already hounding me...

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back