Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn -- I'm just too far away!

I'm in "sticker shock" today!
Took the CRV in to have the electrical tow connection repaired where I had bumped it in a high curb,
oil change, radiator flush, new antifreeze, belt replaced, new battery, tires rotated -- bill was $649.00.
Frigging battery was $187 of that and I had furnished my own antifreeze, oil and filter. I only use percolator filter and Quaker State 0W-5w20. My BIL ran his CRV 400,000 plus miles before the engine finally gave up!

WILLIE - You are going to paint eyebrows on each figure - aren't you?
Car batteries have gotten stupid in the last few years. 10 years ago I could replace the battery in either of the S10s for less then 100 bucks. Maybe $125.00 with labor if I paid to get it done. Now the same battery is close to $200.00 and $49.95 to install. And that is a cheap battery! AGM or glass mat batteries are almost double that. To make matters worse some manufacturers bury the battery in the car. My Wife's Equinox the battery lives under the main ECM (computer). Gotta move that 1st. Some trucks, gotta move a fender brace, some cars, gotta take the front tire and inner fender out to access the battery. Some cars it's under the seat or floor. Or the trunk. Oh and that 48 month battery you bought 5 years ago, it's replacement is only warranted for 40 months now. We've been spoiled by older cars where the battery was front and slightly off center under the hood.
They call it progress, I call it bovine excrement.

I guess nobody's had to buy lithium batteries for their vehicles yet. RV owners love them because you can run them through 1000 charge cycles before you have to replace them.
Of course, a standard group 24 Lithium battery can top $2000. No, I got the number of zeroes right.

As everyone seems to be on a foodie stage - I will add that the Spousal Unit made a HUGE pot of vegetable soup today, must be a gallon and a half - plus, all are welcome!
I will add that is is really tasty. She put just the right amount of red pepper flakes and chipotle in it - just a pinch.
P.S. There just are a very few things that I don't like and mincemeat pie happens to be one of them. I'm still hung up on the first guy who opened an oyster and said, "That looks yummy - I'm going to eat that", but I do love them.

She is off to Huntington Beach for #1 GS's final drum marching band competition. I'm not going for several reasons as much as I wish I could. First, she gets there so she can witness the whole shebang, 5-7 hours. Second, It's a long walk from parking and my hip plays out after 200 yards. Third. I would like to see his final performance, however, I an;t gonna sit through all that time - and it is supposed to rain anyway. She may be making the trip for nothing?

Car batteries have gotten stupid in the last few years. 10 years ago I could replace the battery in either of the S10s for less then 100 bucks. Maybe $125.00 with labor if I paid to get it done. Now the same battery is close to $200.00 and $49.95 to install. And that is a cheap battery! AGM or glass mat batteries are almost double that. To make matters worse some manufacturers bury the battery in the car. My Wife's Equinox the battery lives under the main ECM (computer). Gotta move that 1st. Some trucks, gotta move a fender brace, some cars, gotta take the front tire and inner fender out to access the battery. Some cars it's under the seat or floor. Or the trunk. Oh and that 48 month battery you bought 5 years ago, it's replacement is only warranted for 40 months now. We've been spoiled by older cars where the battery was front and slightly off center under the hood.
They call it progress, I call it bovine excrement.
I know that all too well. My Dodge Journey I had to remove the L/F tire and plastic wheel well cover to remove and replace a battery.

My Jeep took less than 5 minutes thankfully.

I believe that I heard that story (similar) a couple times before.
I stay away from dealers unless it is a warranty item!
I think might be apply called Highway Robbery!
Mike: Spend 50 to 60 dollars and get yourself a code reader. Most likely you could have reset the code yourself.
Yea you’re right. I didn’t think that one through well enough. Autozone probably would have done it for me since that’s where I bought the battery.

Yo Sherrel:

1700352600869.jpeg

747SP - 1978 - was this your ride?

I guess nobody's had to buy lithium batteries for their vehicles yet. RV owners love them because you can run them through 1000 charge cycles before you have to replace them.
Of course, a standard group 24 Lithium battery can top $2000. No, I got the number of zeroes right.
I priced a new battery for a clients Chevy Volt......the total estimate was $26000.00 Did he save that much in fuel over 100,000 miles, I doubt it.

My Home Depot order came yesterday, and they screwed that all up. The stove came broke I'm not sure when that happened because I wasn't watching them unpack it. Then when I went to install the dishwasher, I noticed the power cord and water installation kit I ordered wasn't there. I called them about both issues, and they told me the stove would have to be reordered. They just forgot to put the installation kits on the truck. I guess they don't have a check list to make sure everything gets on the truck. My carpenter golf friend told me don't order anything from them that has to be delivered because they'll screw it up. They told me they'll get the installation kits to me Wednesday and the stove they don't know about that one yet.
Swal

Morning all,

Been up a while, just couldn't sleep.

Currently raining and 50°. We need it. Supposed to rain most of the day and into tomorrow.

Got the leaves gone from my yard, bagged and dumped into the garden space on Friday. Also got them tilled in, so they should hopefully beak down a bit by spring. This rain will help. Spent several hours yesterday at the kids houses, getting their yards mowed and leaf free, until their neighbors trees finally drop their leaves.

Overdid it Friday and then again yesterday. Inside stuff to do today.

David: Mince pie is one of my favorites. I don't get it very often as the rest of the family doesn't care for it, and I don't need a whole pie. Not can't eat the whole thing, just don't need it.

Swal: Sorry to hear your stuff was messed up. I usually don't do delivery for that reason. Last appliance I ordered for what ever reason Sears cancelled the order and didn't tell me until I went to pick up the other appliance I ordered with it. In my case, they were supposed to hold them as we were rebuilding the whole house after a flood. Got a better and more expensive refrigerator than I ordered. Still have that unit 25 years later. Still working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back