HP and Sackville Railroad

Gary - I think the layout is super interesting and I would be extremely anxious to get a train running around it, if not just temporarily. A couple more blocks of wood then connect the track. Sometimes just one locomotive with two boxcars or flatcars "play" carrying supplies around to get the rest of the stuff done.

I like it that you are showing the "mess" behind the scene (or in the scene) cause that is what layout building is really about.

Dave LASM

Gary - I think the layout is super interesting and I would be extremely anxious to get a train running around it, if not just temporarily. A couple more blocks of wood then connect the track. Sometimes just one locomotive with two boxcars or flatcars "play" carrying supplies around to get the rest of the stuff done.

I like it that you are showing the "mess" behind the scene (or in the scene) cause that is what layout building is really about.

Dave LASM
I have been running an engine every day, I have been very sick again over the last 10 days and that’s why I have been back in the room a little. My DCC engine with passenger cars is always working. Hooking up the other one to DC for now and just need some better track cutters to join that one up.

If it was me, i would place the roundhouse in the loop on the right. Two reasons; roundhouses are central theme on layouts and it will be a lot closer for easy building it, as well as seeing it. Second reason, since you have the ship where it is, i'm assuming that yard on the left is a port facility, it makes sense to locate other industry nearby.

Room is looking so much better, I am still debating whether I will crack fill myself or pay someone to do it. Parts and pieces to still tidy up but it looks so much better.

Would love anyone’s suggestions on how to tidy up my track plan. Anyrail file is available on request, it just looks off…..

IMG_9537.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-11-18 083327.png

Gary - Another crossover is needed between the inner and outer loops. I only see the one just to the right of the center aisle. Depending on the flow of traffic, you can either enter of exit the inner loop from the outer loop, but not both. It's the inner loop on the left that turns into the outer loop on the right.
I don't know if the posted plan is complete or if there is some elements missing, but that switch that's on the lowest left-center needs more tail track to make it useful.
I see a lot of running opportunities here.

I’m with Willie on the crossover thing, putting one in maybe on the right side would not only allow trains to git over but would also create an additional siding in the process.
As for the drywall I’ll do small areas but getting a taper in for larger areas is SO much quicker and better looking in the end. Your mileage may vary. 😆

OK, that looks good, I agree with Willie's suggestion about the extra crossover, and I'd also think about adding another track to the one at the top of the plan (that crosses left to right) that would give you two double tracks. You're not showing the river, which I assume you still intend to have, so that would also give you two double-track bridges (Northbound-Southbound???)

OK, that looks good, I agree with Willie's suggestion about the extra crossover, and I'd also think about adding another track to the one at the top of the plan (that crosses left to right) that would give you two double tracks. You're not showing the river, which I assume you still intend to have, so that would also give you two double-track bridges (Northbound-Southbound???)
Excellent idea on doubling up the upper track Smudge! Never even thought of it, I think I got tunnel vision (pardon the pun) trying to mimic the atlas gorge track plan.
Gary - Another crossover is needed between the inner and outer loops. I only see the one just to the right of the center aisle. Depending on the flow of traffic, you can either enter of exit the inner loop from the outer loop, but not both. It's the inner loop on the left that turns into the outer loop on the right.
I don't know if the posted plan is complete or if there is some elements missing, but that switch that's on the lowest left-center needs more tail track to make it useful.
I see a lot of running opportunities here.
Willie, yes that track will extend a bit where the switch is, I think that is the easy part to do for sure. It’s the extra crossover that I want and that you picked up on that is the hard part to fit in. The long straights going from left to right are my long bridge and I don’t want a crossover there. Any suggestion where one might fit?

Gary, the plan is looking good.

I'm with Rico, I would bite the bullet and pay someone to do the mudding and taping. Yes, It cost some, but they will do it so much faster leaving you more time to do other things. I used to do all my mudding and taping. Then we ran into a time crunch on our living room, and I got a quote for someone else to do that part. I found it wasn't only reasonable, but they were in and out in a couple of days. I have never taped or mudded again. I always hang my own, since I enjoy that aspect of it, but the finishing will always be done by someone else.

Just my experience I thought i would share.

I’m with Willie on the crossover thing, putting one in maybe on the right side would not only allow trains to git over but would also create an additional siding in the process.
As for the drywall I’ll do small areas but getting a taper in for larger areas is SO much quicker and better looking in the end. Your mileage may vary. 😆
I agree but don’t want to pay for it, my wife doesn’t even want to waste the money as the space will mainly be shop or utility room if I didn’t have my trains in there.

At first glance, immediately over to the right in what appears to be a 2' straightaway. Chris has a good suggestion regarding the double crossover, but I have read on this forum that folks have trouble with those. I have no experience myself.

I will measure tonight to see how much room I need for another crossover with shorter switches.

Back