Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Totally cloudy and 63°, which is supposed to be the high today. Cold front coming through but the high winds will only last for 8-10 hours. Supposed to rain today, the local radar shows that it's already raining here, but my weather rock is dry. Must not be hitting the ground. While it's only supposed to rain today, the temperature won't get any warmer for at least another week. Nights in the mid-40's.

Weekly grocery trek day today, it will be a big one, as the last one was 11 days ago when we returned from vacation. Other than that, I have no plans for tasks or chores. Wood burning heater and stovepipe is cleaned and ready to go, 2 days of dry firewood is inside, although we may not use it yet. We're weaning ourselves from using it at times like these because it occasionally makes the house too hot. Using the electric space heaters is more effective instead, especially since we keep several rooms closed off now.

Out in the train shed yesterday, work on Garner's Market continued. First I had to brace the sides of the roof, since they wanted to rise when I tried to flatten the center.
IMG_0924.JPG

I then ran a train or two while waiting for the glue to dry. Then the longer brace.
IMG_0925.JPG

Problem resolved.
IMG_0926.JPG

I reattached the structure to the base using Scenics Accent re-positionable glue, in case I choose to make use of the already installed second floor.
Then it was time for the figures that I had already chosen.
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

I stopped there but I may add a couple more. I also intend to add a fire hydrant and maybe a mailbox. Whether to add more figures will depend on the final orientation of the building on the layout. While I have a spot ready, I have been known to change my mind.

Chris - I've been meaning to comment that I like those short snippets of railway action. Keep them coming if you can.
Chad -
For some reason our voting day this year is Nov 21. Not sure why.
I read about this a few months ago. Here's a recent article explaining why.
Utah's late election
Hughie - I didn't realize how much I would appreciate the walk-in shower until after it was installed a few years ago. Still have the bathtub in the other bathroom if needed...washing the granddog when she gets too close to a skunk or rolls around in cow manure.
Joe - I am part-time Public Works around here. I occasionally carry a plastic bag with me when I go walking and pick up the roadside litter (really not much). Since I have a 3 yard dumpster, it's no problem to dispose of. The aluminum nets me about two dollars a week. I don't need that money, but I like the clean roadside and I go to the recycling yard about 3-4 times a year anyway. A neighbor mows the roadside with his tractor 3-4 times a year, so he helps. Everyone brings their trees for me to cut up and eventually burn.
Tom O -
The daughter texted that I received 15 freight cars in a Scale Trains bag on the front porch today. I texted the one client who comes to the house and he says it’s not his stuff. Strange, but someone will let me know
Maybe it's a thank you gift from ScaleTrains.

OK Karl, this one's for you. Today is National Scrapple Day.
Since I started this post, my weather rock has gotten a few drops on it. Radar still shows complete coverage which just isn't happening right now.

Everyone have a great day.

Okay, rather than just posting here about something nobody can really advise on, I had sent a message to the company regarding the purchase.
Basically, I need to take the total amount, including tax, divide it by 24, and pay that every month. Interest charges accrue, but are deferred until the end of the 24 months. If I have paid the thing off by then, the accrued interest goes away. If not, I have to pay all the accrued interest.
By JOVE, Terry - You've done it again! 😊

Good morning from San Antonio. Definitely a different weather pattern than what Willie has in his portion of Texas as it’s 71f degrees just before 8am. Heading to a sunless 75 and calm winds, a good day to golf. The chances of rain are showing but none are above 40%. Means it most likely will rain while I am on the course. I just looked, 35 heading to 41 at home. We do enjoy Texas anytime but in October and November we can handle the temperatures.

Still not sure who dropped off the bag but it’s in the train room and inventoried per the daughter.

enjoy the day

Good morning, Everybody!

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving Day!
Green Bay @ Detroit at 12:30. I'm hoping for an old school "black and blue" division game.
Washington @ Dallas at 4:30. It will be the tenth time these teams have played on Thanksgiving Day.
The 49ers play the Seahawks at 8:00, but I'll be asleep.

On Black Friday the Dolphins visit the NY Jets at 3:00pm!

Have a great day Everybody!
Don't forget the most important part of the day, the huge meal! :D

That will help you fall asleep way before 8:00.

The three models of gunpowder vans. Two In Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway livery. My layout is based around L&Y territory.
The third wagon is in North British Railway livery. As I live in the land of the former NBR I had to have such a wagon. How come it has made its way to Yorkshire? I don't know, but there is a war on (timeframe 1914 - 1919). Anyway, modellers license and its my railway. 🤣

IMG_2867.JPG

MIKE is right - I even drop the figuring to 22 payments -- just to be sure!
My wife, and I had this happen on a furniture purchase when we bought our house.

We broke it down into 24 equal payments. The last one somehow didn't get processed in time, and they tried to hit us with 2 years of interest. This was before autopay, and we had to send checks in the mail (anyone remember those days). Luckily my wife checked with the bank, and it was cashed before the due date, so we had the firepower to get the interest taken back off. They apologized for the error. Don't know if it was done by design, or if it was indeed an error. They did the right thing, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

To this day we pay it off a month or two early just to avoid the hassle.

Good evening. It's clear and 75.
I'm not 100% sure, since the language in the agreement is about as clear as 6 feet of mud, but I may or may not have made a purchase for 0% interest for 24 months. It was "supposed" to be any purchase $699 or more would get 24 interest-free payments using their store credit card.
Okay.
I made a purchase of $800, deciding to take advantage of the free interest.
Now that I have the statement for the purchase, it appears I must first make my minimum monthly payment of $30, then anything over that is applied to the promotion. Again, if I'm reading this correctly, I have to pay $30, on which interest is charged, and anything over that is applied to the zero interest promotion, advertised as $35 a month. So, I pay $30, which gets charged interest somehow, then the additional $5 doesn't get interest charged on it. Or something. And this is a national electronics chain, using a huge banking/credit card institution, so I may be reading more into it than it seems. I guess time will tell me, since I intend to pay the $35, and I'll see if everything has interest charged on it, if it really is zero interest for the entire thing, or something meant to slide hidden charges and fees in after the fact.
Confused? I am. It should have been pretty clear, like I thought it was when I made the purchase.

Usually those deals require you to pay a minimum monthly amount to keep the deal. The whole thing is interest free as long as you make the minimum monthly payments AND you pay it off by the end of the promotion period. They will often show you how much deferred interest there is that will be retroactively applied if it is not paid off completely by the end of the promotion.

At least that is how all the deals I've taken advantage of for 0% for 6 / 12 / 24 months have worked. You can tell as long as you're paying the minimum every month by what the new balance is. If it is exactly the amount of the payment less, no actual interest is being charged and they are showing you the deferred interest that will be charged (retroactively) if you don't clear the balance by the end date.

I just did a 6 month 0% interest on tires from Discount Tires. I made the minimum or close to the minimum (slightly higher) for 6 months and then paid off the balance in the last month and never was charged the deferred interest or anything.

Hello gang!

Hanging at home today, went to the Dr. this morning because of a 2-3 day headache, as I guessed it, a sinus infection! Antibiotics and Steroids on tap. What fun.

Last weekends run session I attended the host has passed along some pics. This pic was lunch. If you need this many people to run a railroad,, its BIG!
Kens crew.jpg

Our host has his back to the camera, extra points if you can find 2 forum members in the crowd!

I recently came into a lot of small parts in a box, I'll be sorting them today and finding homes for them.

BBL

I am back again. The joys of research.

Since my last post - number 348 I have found out through North British Railway Historical Trust that some NBR gunpowder vans were hired out to other companies, but they did not know which ones.
Whether the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway was one of them they did not know. The fact that the L&Y had their own gunpowder wagons I doubt they would hire more from NBR.

No matter. It's my railway. Rule 1 is a wonderful one.

It’s the time of the year to watch that again. 🤣

Yes, sir it is!

My wife and I watch Christmas Vacation several times over the holidays. Along with the Polar Express.

Karl, that reminds me. Our youngest grandson spent last weekend with us. We always watch a movie together. I suggested the Polar Express. He said "I'll wait until December to watch that with you" I thought of you!

The three models of gunpowder vans. Two In Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway livery. My layout is based around L&Y territory.
The third wagon is in North British Railway livery. As I live in the land of the former NBR I had to have such a wagon. How come it has made its way to Yorkshire? I don't know, but there is a war on (timeframe 1914 - 1919). Anyway, modellers license and its my railway. 🤣
Some nice looking wagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back