Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

50° and mostly cloudy, high of 60° later. I think eclipse watching will be a bust as it's supposed to remain cloudy most of the day ☹️.

Got work to get done and have to run some errands for the wife. Oldest granddaughter will be here shortly as her folks and brother have work and scout commitments. Probably take her with me unless she wants to stay with her grandmother.

Not much else for now...BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 49°, might hit 72° later today. Calm now, but the vicious NW wind from yesterday will return after sunrise. Same pattern for the next few days before returning to the 80's by Wednesday. May actually need the space heaters Sunday night for a few hours. They're already cleaned and tested. Despite the wind, yesterday was rather pleasant

Besides the usual household chores yesterday, I did have to spend some time picking up broken branch tips from under several trees in the yard. The drought has not been good for some of them. I think that I will ultimately lose two near the house, sad because they are the two that have hummingbird feeders in them.

Today I start to tidy up things outside, both for the upcoming winter months and a week from today, we'll be leaving for 8 days on our annual trip to Gulf Shores AL. While we're taking our usual route to get there, we're taking a different route for part of the return trip. Instead of heading north on IH49 at Lafayette LA to Shreveport, and then west to Dallas on IH20, we're going to head west on IH10 to the Houston/Texas City area and then go north on IH45 to Dallas.

Vaccines - I have ceased the Covid vaccines after three. No ill effects for me, but I just am unsure of it's safety and effectiveness. Never had a flu shot in my life and never had the flu. I got my first pneumonia shot 5 ears ago and have and pneumonia twice since then; never had it before in my life. That's now on the "never mind" list as well. I do still get the tetanus shot every few years because of the farm environment that I live and work in.

No visible work out in the train shed yesterday. I did finish the other two gates and got some more horizontal poles mounted, but that project is just slowly moving along. I did start two days ago on the regular quarterly layout cleaning project, getting to the last part of the upper level. There is nothing significant in this section, just track and a staging yard; no scenery or structures yet. Track isn't even ballasted in this section yet, so I am just vacuuming and using the "gentle" cleaning pads on the rails. Not even sure that is needed but it's a preventative measure. Looking for loose and dropped parts on Thursday yielded nothing, yesterday was moving freight cars and vacuuming.
An unusual day today, as I am not even going to the archives for pictures, as I have some pressing tasks inside this morning.

Joe - 14 & 20 AWG wiring is nothing to compare with the 10 AWG used to wire most of my house. The original owner who only lived here 8 months, was an electrician and used wire that he "borrowed" from a commercial job that he was working on at the time.
David - What's with the sunshine in your part of the world???

Everyone have a wonderful day and a great weekend.

Good morning to the modelers. Wanna be doctors and those who might be nominated for a open Speakers job.

It’s wet, windy and brisk outside beyond the windows and doors of the house. I am currently watching the rain drops pelting the windows and some tree drops trying to bend enough to touch the ground.

The son called last night at 11 and asked if we wanted to come see the eclipse or ring of fire whatever they are calling it. He has 2 spots opened on a flight from outside of Chicago to Llanos, Texas. They could pick us up at our Middleton airport. His broken clavicle prevents him from flying but his 3 planes and others are working full time ferrying in groups. He has a friend outside of Llanos that is holding a Elcipse viewing party, has a fully lit legal runway and cabins on his property for about 200 people. We could do it for free but the friend he went to high school with is only charging $4999 each or more including the airfare! Return is Monday or Tuesday. Told him that we are not that interested but that his mom is sick and cannot fly. He said ok and said had to make a couple more calls. About 20 minutes later he called back and asked if I said mom is sick…

Terry is feeling fine but has her moments

I am ready to walk about 200’ in a rain cover to get wet in the pool.

Have a great day

Last edited:
Good morning. Low this morning 47°, currently 57°, going to 64. It is sunny with light winds out of the North.

Today, Friday the Thirteenth came on a Friday...with appologys to Walt Kelly and Pogo.

Last couple of days have been busy, and I literally did not have the time to go through all of your posts. Tom O' and Terry O', hope the Chinese Influenza has not infected y'all. Also some great posts on trucks.

OK, since Tuesday, I have replaced a GFI outlet in the garage, (my fingers no longer like 20 AWG or even 14 AWG wire).

George: The Master Bath sink was backing up/not draining. I scrunched down to work inside the vanity, and took everything apart. Nothing that would cause a back-up. It's not the vent pipe, as everything else works as intended. So...I ran the snake through the PVC drain pipe from the vanity to the T. I was able to dislodge a huge hairball, the final pass was clear, so I reassembled it. No leaks, I'm going to run some Draino that will hopefully clear any residue...if not, time for a plumber.

My / our biggest mistake yesterday, was getting the "New" Covid - 19 vaccine, and the "2023 version" 65+ Flue shot. Today, we both have chills, (no fever), and cannot lift our arms. Last night, I had an increased heart rate, and breathing issues. The Point of injection hurts like hell. I'm also discounting muscle pain, which I attribute to scrunching down in the vanity, and related tugging.

I couldn't finish watching the Detroit vs Jersey Devils season opener at the Rock. Still 0-0 in the second, final was 4-3 Devils. :) 👍😺.
I'm still planning on getting the RSV immunization in two weeks, as recommended, but against my better judgment. I'm a lemming following advice of the authorities, although I'm very skeptical of the effect of the shots, after my experiences last year.

Yesterday, I had my sixth Covid 19 shot, and my umpteenth flu shot. I've now had three Pneumonia shots since I turned 65, (ten years), I have had Pneumonia in 2018, 2020, and 2023, and the flu in 2021 and 2022. No Covid though. Wonder if I'll catch something from the injections?

I also get a perverse pleasure when some egotistical ER Triage Nurse, snarkily remarks about people not getting recommended immunizations. Last November, I was able to be just as snarky, stating I had Flu/Covid/ and Pneumonia Vaccines, but Flu and Pneumonia failed to work. 😼😼😼

Granted, I have now six covid tests, but have never tested positive. Then again, I don't bother testing each time I sneeze. I imagine the false positive and false negative for covid tests is quite high. So either the vaccine does work, or the tests don't work all the time. I don't know which is the case.

In addition to all the National Days Willie mentioned, according to NY TV News, today is International Jihad Day. They were warning people to avoid malls, theaters and other places where people congregate. For what this is worth, considering the situation in the Mid-East, there is a possibility that some radical might want to make a statement at others expense.

Nothing on the model railroad since Monday. I doubt I'll get much done today.
Boris: Ditch the Drano. Get some of this stuff.

1014230836.jpg

Do read and follow the label considerations. I let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes before flushing. I have only had to do 'two coats' once.

Later

I just returned from our local lumber yard with 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood. I haven't followed the price of lumber, other than to read that it had gone thru the roof. Paid $26.99 a sheet, so I didn't think that was all that bad. I was kind of expecting double that from what I had read.

The best news was it fit in our Chrysler Pacifica, just as the salesman stated when we bought it. I was skeptical at that statement, but it turned out to be true.

I just returned from our local lumber yard with 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood. I haven't followed the price of lumber, other than to read that it had gone thru the roof. Paid $26.99 a sheet, so I didn't think that was all that bad. I was kind of expecting double that from what I had read.

The best news was it fit in our Chrysler Pacifica, just as the salesman stated when we bought it. I was skeptical at that statement, but it turned out to be true.
I see a lot of new benchwork in your future Mike.:D

Mike: Went and looked it up on the Chrysler site - Pretty car! Storage/Cargo area looks to be just a tad smaller than our Expedition EL and your seats look to go down further into the chassis. That cargo area is one of the reasons the Wife opted for it. We put 20 1/2 x 4 x 8 pieces of sheet rock in the back of ours with 15 or 20 2 x 4 x 8's. Could not tell that it had any weight in it, handled almost the same too. We did loose about 1/2 mile per gallon coming home so it did work a little extra. Pretty much a F150, and it does almost everything except open your pop.

Later

Mike: Went and looked it up on the Chrysler site - Pretty car! Storage/Cargo area looks to be just a tad smaller than our Expedition EL and your seats look to go down further into the chassis. That cargo area is one of the reasons the Wife opted for it. We put 20 1/2 x 4 x 8 pieces of sheet rock in the back of ours with 15 or 20 2 x 4 x 8's. Could not tell that it had any weight in it, handled almost the same too. We did loose about 1/2 mile per gallon coming home so it did work a little extra. Pretty much a F150, and it does almost everything except open your pop.

Later
My wife was after me for years to get a van. I drug my feet and resisted. I finally gave in in March when we purchased one. I have to say I should of gave in years ago. I love it! Especially now that I know it will haul 4x8 sheets of material. I had to pay delivery a delivery fee every time I needed plywood, or foam. Not no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back