Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All!

62F @ 52% and partly

Kitchen is put back together. Gained just over a foot of wall space where the chimney was.

Now for the newest burning question for you auto aficionado's after some beginning info. Have an 89 F150 with 15" rims - don't remember the tire circumference and want to replace with 17" rims with circumference unknown as I haven't bought anything yet but not gonna use low profile tires. The idea here is to lower the engine rpm at hiway speed. How close will the gas mileage be considering that the thing will run less rpm but will have a larger circumference?

Later!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 64°, radar is showing light showers nearby but not here. Might be 2 miles east and moving away. Thundershowers have been in the forecast for tomorrow for about a week now, maybe it will happen. Meanwhile daytime temperatures in the low-80's and nighttime in the low 60's for most of the ten day outlook.

In the garden, I picked broccoli yesterday and need to pick at least 6 more heads today. I'll preserve it by freezing it tomorrow while it's raining. Broccoli cannot be pressure-canned and must be blanched and frozen, even though it loses some of it's crispness. It completely disintegrates when pressure-canned. Don't ask how I know this.
I did the usual household tasks yesterday, a load of laundry, burned a barrel load of burn trash (no wind yesterday), and made Shrimp and Broccoli Lo Mein for supper. In the yard, I tidied up after the grandsons workaday Sunday and mowed some areas that they removed the brush piles from. Today needs to be weedeater day around the pool and the train shed. House still looks good from last week.

Nothing special out in the train shed yesterday. Ran some trains that I had previously staged and planted a few more trees. Sprayed about a dozen more rehabbed ones with matte finish to preclude shedding. Still haven't decided on my next project, a big one or some smaller ones from the pending projects list.
How about some random rail-served industries in Gainesville.
View attachment 168953
View attachment 168954
View attachment 168955

Todd - Seems like you are making the right decision on the Propane. I've been fortunate to never have had an issue with our company; 46 years now, 42 here and 4 more at the previous rent house.
Christian -

I believe that constant re-registering from the same IP address triggers the forum software into thinking that you're a spammer.

Everybody have a wonderful day.
Willie, need a traffic report please. Just how bad is it on I35 coming across the border to Fort Worth? Today there was a rather large RED line right around Denton on I35.

Asking for the wife. I put alternate routes in Maps and they are all longer by at least an hour. We will not travel through Dallas as we have done that very, very unenjoyable drive. Never again…

thank you

Afternoon All,

Started out this morning with the repair guy showing up on time 😲. He was done within an hour and the rest of the day was for working on trees. I have used all the material from the Super Trees box and have made 168 trees from it. The last 15 need the last coat of foliage to be done. Of course you have to provide the foliage that is separate from the box. The initial outlay is expensive but the foliage I have I could probably do another 2 boxes, and I would be surprised if a tree was much more than 75 cents completed. A new box shows up tomorrow, but I think I'll take a couple of days off since I'm a little burnt out.

Karl- It's good to be busy MRR'ing.

Willie- Nice scenes.

TomO- Enjoy your vacation.

Christian- Welcome back.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt, the plan is to enjoy and relax…

Willie, need a traffic report please. Just how bad is it on I35 coming across the border to Fort Worth? Today there was a rather large RED line right around Denton on I35.

Asking for the wife. I put alternate routes in Maps and they are all longer by at least an hour. We will not travel through Dallas as we have done that very, very unenjoyable drive. Never again…

thank you
Tom: Not Willie as you can see, but. Believe the construction is done so you should not have to worry about that. Have a look at 35W as it is *usually* not as busy as 35E. There are *always* slow downs on I35, always. There will be problems at the E/W split but you could have clear sailing into Ft Worth; time you go through depending.

Good Luck!

Later

Tom: Not Willie as you can see, but. Believe the construction is done so you should not have to worry about that. Have a look at 35W as it is *usually* not as busy as 35E. There are *always* slow downs on I35, always. There will be problems at the E/W split but you could have clear sailing into Ft Worth; time you go through depending.

Good Luck!

Later
Forgot ... If you go out up the 30 towards Little Rock, remember to stop at the original Soul Man's BBQ x67B. You will be happy. We used to stop and buy POUNDS of the stuff and eat it for the next couple days!

Later

Now for the newest burning question for you auto aficionado's after some beginning info. Have an 89 F150 with 15" rims - don't remember the tire circumference and want to replace with 17" rims with circumference unknown as I haven't bought anything yet but not gonna use low profile tires. The idea here is to lower the engine rpm at hiway speed. How close will the gas mileage be considering that the thing will run less rpm but will have a larger circumference?

Later!
Would that also affect your speedometer as well?

Good Afternoon All!

62F @ 52% and partly

Kitchen is put back together. Gained just over a foot of wall space where the chimney was.

Later!

Try this on for size. I use this a lot

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Forgot ... If you go out up the 30 towards Little Rock, remember to stop at the original Soul Man's BBQ x67B. You will be happy. We used to stop and buy POUNDS of the stuff and eat it for the next couple days!

Later
My return trip will lead me to Bentonville to see the museums

85D0A318-3364-469B-B1C0-14BA34737B95.png

one of the Walton kids built.

Then Independence, Mo. for MidwestmodelRR,

2B740664-AEAE-46DB-B461-40D8CF8828FC.png

then head for Minneapolis

0D2AC992-DACC-4A18-89A5-5D656E9E0BFE.png

from there I head home

I would try for SpringCreek in Deshler, Nebraska but its way to far off of I35, like way far. That’s a trip when we are on I80

Last edited:

I recommend you stay as close to the overall diameter of the original as possible. When I was a tire salesman, I always told my customers, "I'm not an automotive engineer" I don't recommend changing overall tire size."

Caution: changing the geometry of your suspension can have unforeseen negative effects on the suspension parts. And unforeseen effects on the drivetrain.

The only way to be sure about MPG is to calculate it the old-fashioned way. Like we did before we had onboard computers.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All!

62F @ 52% and partly

Later!

Your truck should have come equipped with P235/75R15B or XL tires. Some models did have smaller diameter tires, but they were in the minority. Those would be the ones with the 3.8 V6 or 300 (4.9) L6.

Try this on for size. I use this a lot

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Your truck should have come equipped with P235/75R15B or XL tires. Some models did have smaller diameter tires, but they were in the minority. Those would be the ones with the 3.8 V6 or 300 (4.9) L6.
A better calculator!

Evening all,

I went through the tire size change when I bought the last set of tires.

Original tire for my Colorado was a 215/70r16. Dealer put 8" wide rims and a 225\65r16 tire on it. The newer rims are too wide for the 215 tires. The tires the dealer used were 1/2" shorter in diameter than the factory one. That made my Speedo about show about 2 miles per hour faster than my actual speed and odometer showing more miles. The new set I put on in March are 235\65r16 and are .1" taller than the factory spec set and actually have my speedo and odometer exactly correct. A larger tire will have your speedo showing slower than actual speed, unless you modify the speedometer gearing in the transmission (I know that's how we reset the speedo in older GM's). A larger tire also has the problem of being heavier (usually) which will reduce your fuel mileage. Smaller, narrower tires will get better mileage. You would also need to figure how much off your odometer is in the fuel mileage calculation. I had to do that for the older tires as I had to remove about 10 miles traveled per tank.

Karl: I like that track setup. Would have made mine a lot easier to deal with. Maybe next time....

Today there were some issues, although I do not know the specifics. As I traveled under, I noted traffic in the northbound direction moving slowly. Southbound looked OK. Normally on the Texas side, they keep two lanes open at all times. There is nothing permanently closed. They are working on some bridges in Gainesville and Sanger, but all of the work is off the highway. However there is frequently a "moving work detail" that is working at various places in Denton County, between Valley View and Denton itself. They pull over between 11:30 and 1:00 for lunch and everything is open.
That is all that I know at the present time.
IH35W on the north side of Ft Worth near the Texas Motor Speedway has major construction, but whenever I go through, I use the "Texpress" lane and pay the toll.

Karl: Not for nothing, the more I see, the more I like spline construction. Guess you can say I'm following your build with interest.

Today was a sunny but cool day. 51° and clear, right now. today's high topped out at 65°. I have a feeling it's suddenly going to get real hot next week. Tomorrow's supposed to be sunny with a high of 75°.

My day started early, with a 0730 visit to the lab for blood draw, in preparation for my physical, next week. Home for breakfast, then food shopping at BJ's. After lunch, we went for a walk, approximately ½ mile or so...

Yesterday, a package containing three Walthers tank cars from Kliens arrived, followed today by three Rapido 40' trailers from Trainworld. The wife then reminded me I said I wasn't buying anything new right now :oops::oops::oops:.

Vegas Golden Knights have jumped to a 3-0 lead over the Dallas Stars in the first period of Game 3 of the Western Conference playoff. If this trend continues, it looks like it the Stanley Cup will be between Vegas and Florida. Meanwhile, O's and Yanks are tied 4-4, in the 6th., and Cubs are beating up on the Mets 5 - 1 in the 5th, in Chicago.

CR 22137 Repaint 05_21_23 Metuchen.jpg - Final.jpg

Final repaint completed at Metuchen, 05/21/23...Rich Carl photo. This one conforms with the diagram for Conrail Cabin Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back