Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of y'all may remember that I used to work a local out of Linden, NJ, symboled WJLI-26, and that for a long while on this forum I used that symbol as my Identifier, until I had Bob change it to Boris. I left Conrail, a few months before the transaction closed, back in 1998, and retired in 2008. My last Conrail assignment, was WPLI26, which reflected the pre transaction consolidation of the New Jersey and Philadelphia Divisions. Since then Linden yard has closed, and crew ME2 now handles the remaining LI26 work.
Now that I set the stage, back around 1995, WPLI26 received a extended cab cabin car CR 22137, painted in the Philadelphia Division Quality Scheme, which was so unique, Atlas produced an HO model of the Cabin car. (Pictured is a Lionel Hi-rail version).
View attachment 168642View attachment 168643
The cabin is still in service, and over the years, has accumulated multiple layers of graffiti.

Finally, Conrail (Shared Assets) decided enough was enough, and repainted the cabin.

View attachment 168644
This is the finished product, photo courtesy current ME2 engineer Rich Carl. Maybe Atlas can get another model out, before the cabin is visited by "artists" again. Keep in mind the cabin has been assigned to shoving platform service since it was first repainted in the 1990s, about 28 years ago. The cabin was originally a Reading Company Caboose, before Conrail, so it is at least 50 years old and still in use.
Very interesting Boris, thank you for the post!

JUST FOR FUN!

US Government Notice

To help save the economy, the Government will announce next month that the Immigration Department will start deporting seniors (instead of illegals) in order to lower Social Security and Medicare costs.
Older people are easier to catch and will not remember how to get back home. Be sure to send this notice to your relatives and friends so they'll know what happened to you.

I started to cry when I thought of you. Then it dawned on me…

I'll see you on the bus.

Gosh! Do not let the Politicians here in the U.K. see that.

David

Good morning all. A day of rain and more rain.
A minor family challenge, so the grandchildren will be here over the weekend.

On the model railway front I have been 'freshening up the scenery'. Some old trackwork has been replaced. I have a troublesome turnout causing problems. A trip to the local model shop is required (soon). I am looking at replacing some old (around 25 years old) buildings that are looking 'tatty'. They have served well through four layouts.

David

T.G.I.F. Gang for all you working stiffs out there! This is also a PSA for all the retirees who don’t know or care what day it is. When I grow up I wanna be like you!

Last night my hole saw drilled 25 1 inch holes in the benchwork for wiring before the battery died. Some dummy failed to put the other battery in the charger. Tonight more holes, and time allowing cutting 36 more risers.

Dang, this hobby fells like work at times!

BBL

Morning all,

I need to retire just to catch up on all the stuff around the house....

Currently 65° and raining, temp supposed to drop a little before the rain stops and then back to the low 60's the rest of the day.

Doll house construction stalled due to other things taking precedent. Won't be a birthday gift, but will get done. Wife said we timed it too close to her birthday to start, which we did, and she's pulled me away for other things.

Oh well, back in the office and heading home in 4 hours!!!!

BBL

Dang, this hobby fells like work at times!
Karl: Ya, working more now than when I was working. Good/bad things: Good, can do what I want when I want. Bad, the boss is sometimes a jerk! A.D.D. for me comes into play big time so it seems I have a flurry of stuff going on with nothing getting done. Then, all of a sudden there is nothing to do in the current stream of things. Note that 'the stream' gets overflowing again as soon as it is low; and that is from my list of stuff wanted done, not the HoneyDu list.

Later

We have a train show here in Central Ohio this weekend. The Central Ohio N-Trak club is sponsoring their annual show. I didn't get to go last year, because it was the weekend before our daughter got married.

Debating if I should go first thing Saturday, or wait to go until mid-show on Sunday... hoping for last minute "closeouts"

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 70° on this Friday morning. Supposedly we're in for some thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening. Could be severe with the conditions being what they will be. Current radar is showing widely scattered rain all over, but I doubt that any is actually hitting the ground at this time. After a high near 90° today, things will cool off for a few days.

We did decide to do the weekly grocery trek today instead of yesterday, things just weren't coming together right. I finished up planting the Mother's Day planter box yesterday, with begonias, petunias, and some other "cascading" plants that my wife bought, to go with the Coleus that I had already put there. Me, I have Parsley, Sage, Oregano and Thyme planted. All of the herbs but the Parsley are perennials. Rosemary, chives and Basil have their own dedicated pots.
I put my new cordless mini chain saw to test yesterday, cutting between 75 and 80 1"-3" low-hanging branches from the double row of Hackberry trees along the east side next to the road. That was the limit before the battery ran out. I have a second battery, but I was not interested in doing more. I'm paying my two grandsons to come by Sunday to clear them all out, plus many many more that I need to cut by then. I'll also be cutting down two dead trees for them to pick up and haul while I have the help here.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly rehabbed some of the trees that Chet sent me. Various bits and pieces of foliage had fallen off some of them during the 1800 mile trip with UPS. Didn't plant any more yet but it's coming.
I did take some new pictures of some old scenes to post today.
IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG

Mikey - Thanks for the insight on the electric substation.
Nice looking shelves. Great way to recycle old fences.
John -
In some cases, the USPS has "standards" for style and size of address numbers. I hope you get to keep what you want but it might be a good idea to check with USPS just to make sure you are OK.
In most cases, they are more concerned that the style, size, setback and especially the height fit into their standard requirements. At least with our Post Office. Where I live, the mailbox is over a mile away, and there were 11 separate mailboxes in a motley row along the side of the road, but all fit their standards. The homeowner who lived behind this collection, didn't like the slipshod appearance of them in front of his house. So he built a large brick and mortar structure to house them, and also bought new boxes for all 11 users. Everything is still fine, except the stick-on numbers have long since faded and are no longer visible. Hasn't bothered our long-time mail lady, as she knows which ones are which. I did notice a few years ago, that she or maybe the substitute guy, had used a felt tip marker and put the individual numbers on the inside of the door. A side advantage of this brick structure is that we and the other patrons no longer have to replace our mailboxes periodically due to damage from vandalism.
Hughie I mean Guy - I have been reading with some interest about something called "Alberta 51 Project". Without getting political here, I was just wondering if it has widespread support, or is it just a fringe thing??? Heck! Have you even heard about it???

Well, I need to eat my words, as it sprinkled for about 10 minutes as I was posting these words.
Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Gosh, I haven't done anything in weeks to my layout. I sure hope I get to it this weekend, I'm kind of caught up on yard work.

Retirement? I'm reconsidering it since I have a job that I like and pretty soon I'll be double dipping a pay check plus SS. I'll finally be able to afford this hobby. I have dreams of 3D printing and using my SIL laser cutter but after playing with various software for creating things, I'm considering letting that go. I'm beginning to think I don't want to do PC work at home.

I had so much fun doing this,
it's plaster time.

Gosh, I haven't done anything in weeks to my layout. I sure hope I get to it this weekend, I'm kind of caught up on yard work.

Retirement? I'm reconsidering it since I have a job that I like and pretty soon I'll be double dipping a pay check plus SS. I'll finally be able to afford this hobby. I have dreams of 3D printing and using my SIL laser cutter but after playing with various software for creating things, I'm considering letting that go. I'm beginning to think I don't want to do PC work at home.

it's plaster time.
Another CGW Fan! Nice Locos I have one if those and a ton of funits Maroon dip.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with chainsaws, and all of their limbs still attached. ;)

It's Troy again...

Patio sitting while I wait on the AC tech to show and do the spring clean and maintenance on the system.

patiosittin.jpg

Taking advantage of the time to get my paperbacks refreshed on Amazon and the other sites. They've been on Amazon, but the store named after the longest river is raising their printing charges. Since I have to raise the end-user price, I might as well make sure insides and covers are up to date.

And that server is taking FOREVER to do updates. It's like everyone else has the same idea at the same time. Imagine that.:p

Time to go look at the page and see if Zon got anything updated while I went on my 45 minute walk this morning.

That's exactly why I intentionally limit myself to 2-3 hours a day in the train shed. As a retiree, I could spend 10-12 hours out there if I wanted!

I limit myself to 2 hour work sessions. I could at times work 8-10 hours straight through. When I have many things going on I will plan 2 sessions and at times 3. Always though with a couple hours or more in between. Like today. 10 to noon in the train room. Then not back until 7 tonight for 2 hours.

For the last couple years I wasn’t working in the train room after dinner. The last couple months though I have been drifting back in there. I drop the phone in a holder by the entrance, set for 2 hours. Even if during a 2 hour session I drift in and out of the room, I don’t adjust the timer.

I tend to lose track of time since I retired. Both my Eye doctor and Endocrinologist were concerned about my extreme focus at the work bench. My blood glucose numbers will start rising the longer I concentrate at the bench. Of course then the eyes start straining. This was proven to me by my Endocrinologist after I started wearing a Continous Glucose Monitor. Reviewing the 15 minute readings over a 2 hour period my BG starts rising 5-10 points. It was interesting.

JUST FOR FUN!

US Government Notice

To help save the economy, the Government will announce next month that the Immigration Department will start deporting seniors (instead of illegals) in order to lower Social Security and Medicare costs.
Older people are easier to catch and will not remember how to get back home. Be sure to send this notice to your relatives and friends so they'll know what happened to you.

I started to cry when I thought of you. Then it dawned on me…

I'll see you on the bus.
Wouldn't Suprise me in the least!

it's plaster time.
If you are happy at the job and have no travel plans, no reason to retire. I absolutely loved going into work except for the last 2 years and that drove me out at age 62.

We have a train show here in Central Ohio this weekend. The Central Ohio N-Trak club is sponsoring their annual show. I didn't get to go last year, because it was the weekend before our daughter got married.

Debating if I should go first thing Saturday, or wait to go until mid-show on Sunday... hoping for last minute "closeouts"
Jeff: How far away is it? If fairly close, do what I do - go in and grab the 'must have' stuff, then go back an hour or so before closing and make offers on what you need. Remember, do not be afraid to walk away if you can't get your price ( or close to it ).

Later

Well - 10 out of control fires here. My lady friend has been out of her home for a wk . My son probably has lost his home & shop (mowing & spraying for oilfield) in Drayton Valley. Another town (Fox Creek) being evaced just now. They are heading to Guys town. (Whitecourt) So many road closures its getting hard to get to where evacuees are sposed to get to. The main culprit has been the wind - 15-20 mph day & night for 5 days
What a week!
update: sons house still intact minus vinyl siding on 2 walls. Shop gone, along with 3 F350 flat decks & spray pumps.
Lady friends house still standing. Fire was steered north of her place by about 400 yards.
I took the photos of the water train in her town, the photo of it working was via YCFD face book page. I also saw, but couldnt get a pic of a trestle being sprinklered day & night.
google shot of sons yard : house bottom left, shop in center

Attachments

• train water.jpg
    train water.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    840.6 KB · Views: 37
  • stock-photo-train-bridge--entwistle-alberta-canada-7985.jpg
    stock-photo-train-bridge--entwistle-alberta-canada-7985.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 45
Good morning to all that visit. A decent looking morning in WIsconsin. But the smoke haze has created some health warnings this week and today is supposed to be really bad. Even though yesterday was clear skies I guess the haze was still around. Terry because of her breathing issues is walking the treadmill today and was down in the stables to let the brood out in the fields but no riding.

Travel plans are set. We leave for Austin on Wednesday, on the 30th we fly to Pasadena and on the 3rd fly to Maui. I return directly home to WIsconsin on the 16th as a flurry of medical begins the 19th. I will return to Paradise for 10 days in August. We will fly then to Austin and take a week or so driving the car home. Since it’s Terry’s SUV we will leave in Austin I won’t need it in WIsconsin while she stays in Hawaii.

We have house sitters and they will also work out her horses. Never have we done the house sitter thing before but everything worked out. They are 2 UW students needing temporary Summer housing that are vet students who have worked here in past Summers. They will stay in the house while I am gone. There is an “apartment“ above the stables that they will move into when I come back. They are staying at least until school starts back up.

I was asked to come out to the house today. I sure hope there are no more issues than what we had last week. I think the supply chain issues now are just a crutch for hiding other issues. Employee retention is what my neighbor said eaROI er in the week when he stopped by the front porch to rest on his nightly walk. He manages the big cold storage warehouse outside of Madison. He says they are starting workers at $18.00 per hour on 1st shift 7- 3:30, $18.50 from 3:30 to 11 and $20 on 11 to 7. 2nd and 3rd shifts are no problem staffing. 1st shift is a mess for laborers and floor management staff what we used to call foremen. Says people just stop showing up and then a week later come in for the paycheck for when they worked. They are thinking of going to a pay at the end of shift scheme. Not sure how that would help but not my issue.

later

update: sons house still intact minus vinyl siding on 2 walls. Shop gone, along with 3 F350 flat decks & spray pumps.
Lady friends house still standing. Fire was steered north of her place by about 400 yards.
I took the photos of the water train in her town, the photo of it working was via YCFD face book page. I also saw, but couldnt get a pic of a trestle being sprinklered day & night.
google shot of sons yard : house bottom left, shop in center
Wow! That is to close for comfort. We have been getting smoke from BC fires for the last couple of days. Pretty clear this am, will see what the winds bring. Have not heard of any North of us up to the border or West in Idaho. Haven't looked at the weather radar either. I will just plod along blissful.

Later

Good Morning All!

61F @ 79% and clear. Still a tad of smoke coming in from the Canooks.

Willie: Looks like the wife and you had the same thoughts. This showed up yesterday.

IMGP0677.JPG

More on the Demo today, then the chimney can come down. Well, to the top of the 1st floor anywho.

Track plan is progressing and I think I have figured out why the plot is small. I am up against aspect ratio. ARCH D is 36x24 where the ratio is 1.5% while the track plan is 362x468 with a 1.29% ratio. Means that the track plan will *always* be smaller on one edge. Can't make the layout room bigger - drat the luck. Have some 36" x 150' roll paper coming in so I will be able to plot ARCH E where the ratio is 1.33% and since from what I have read, the plotter will not care about the length and the plan will be from top to bottom and ear to ear.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back