Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. From a wicked snow storm of over 12” in the morning to 47f degrees and clear sunny skies yesterday afternoon. Yesterday was weird in So. Central Wisconsin.

Today, is mostly cloudy with a high of 38 around 3PM. BUT at 11AM we might get hit with a quick moving snow “event”. I can’t wait.

Nothing is planned for today but Monday is a different story. My sister’s deceased hubby’s sister is a financial planner and is coming by tomorrow for a discussion at 10AM. She is my age as she was born at 2 AM versus my 5AM in the same hospital in Evergreen Park, Il back in 9/29/1952. I met her as a blind date at 16, we dated 4 months until she dropped me because as the teacher I planned to be I would be broke my whole life. Met her again 7 years later at the rehearsal dinner the day before my sister’s wedding to her brother. Neither of us had connected the names. One of the most beautiful people I have ever met but she also knew it. All I know is at 70 she is still working and I’m not. One of her son’s is a big time Hollywood producer and director. Terry is fully aware of our story and until my BIL passed he would occasionally kid her about his sister and me hooking up back in the day. Later Monday for dinner Coach and his wife will join us out somewhere. Normally Monday dinner is just us without the wives but we will be celebrating his 7th NCAA Championship. I am not sure who picks the place. The 3 cars Monday are scheduled for a cleaning, inside and out. I scheduled a 11AM appointment for a service that comes to us. This is new to us and only $15 more for each car then the full car wash I have been using for years but lately has been disappointing.

Today, some weathering at the bench. 2 Centerbeam cars and a locomotive have been clear coated to join the 6 High cube 60 footers I am already working on.

here’s an oldie but still a good one
E325D44A-99F3-4E9E-8B78-BDB8F9A95AD4.jpeg

I almost never follow the talking heads on the tv news or the weather, just follow the radar on the computer. Dont need someone telling me what to think about the mess we are in. It really makes no difference in my daily life. Besides all that they just tell you what to think not the news,
Mike

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° on the back porch with a relatively nice day coming up. Temperature expected in the mid-70's with uninterrupted sunshine, basically a repeat of yesterday. Spring in North Central Texas lasts a lot longer than the two weeks down near Houston where Hughie is located. I usually see about two months of it before daily highs stay in the 90's.

I spent a little more time out in the train shed yesterday than I normally would, since it was so wet outside. I started with some road detailing with a pair of guardrails installed at the corner.
IMG_3264.JPG

I see now that maybe I didn't need to continue the center stripe all of the way to the pavement edge.
Then I returned to ground cover, first completing the blank area that I had skipped between the Cafe and the drugstore.
IMG_3265.JPG

Then on to the area north of the auto parts store that extends to the existing salvage place that's around the corner in the backdrop.
The ground cover is now complete in this section from here to the middle of the refinery property.
IMG_3266.JPG

It needs just a bit of vacuuming and other tidying up still. That chain link fence that's lying there will be next to install. Then there will be tree planting and figure placement.

Tom O - Seeing that picture yesterday of the snowfall really made me appreciate the 100°+ days that I will get in another 3 months. i will never see that much snow in March, let alone any other time of year. I was in shorts and tee shirt yesterday when I saw that picture.
Hughie - Really fine view of the layout.
Tony - No woodchucks here. The Hummingbirds arrive soon, but they get here about three weeks after spring really starts; weather-wise, not calendar-wise. The snakes roll out of bed to tell us its Mayday (May 1) after things really warm up and they get hungry.

Musical birthday's today include Dianna Ross (79), and Steven Tyler from Aerosmith (75), and one of Sherrel's favorite home state politicians, Nancy Pelosi (83). And to our members across the pond, British Summer Time started today. Move those clocks forward.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° on the back porch with a relatively nice day coming up. Temperature expected in the mid-70's with uninterrupted sunshine, basically a repeat of yesterday. Spring in North Central Texas lasts a lot longer than the two weeks down near Houston where Hughie is located. I usually see about two months of it before daily highs stay in the 90's.

I spent a little more time out in the train shed yesterday than I normally would, since it was so wet outside. I started with some road detailing with a pair of guardrails installed at the corner.
View attachment 165464
I see now that maybe I didn't need to continue the center stripe all of the way to the pavement edge.
Then I returned to ground cover, first completing the blank area that I had skipped between the Cafe and the drugstore.
View attachment 165465
Then on to the area north of the auto parts store that extends to the existing salvage place that's around the corner in the backdrop.
The ground cover is now complete in this section from here to the middle of the refinery property.
View attachment 165466
It needs just a bit of vacuuming and other tidying up still. That chain link fence that's lying there will be next to install. Then there will be tree planting and figure placement.

Tom O - Seeing that picture yesterday of the snowfall really made me appreciate the 100°+ days that I will get in another 3 months. i will never see that much snow in March, let alone any other time of year. I was in shorts and tee shirt yesterday when I saw that picture.
Hughie - Really fine view of the layout.
Tony - No woodchucks here. The Hummingbirds arrive soon, but they get here about three weeks after spring really starts; weather-wise, not calendar-wise. The snakes roll out of bed to tell us its Mayday (May 1) after things really warm up and they get hungry.

Musical birthday's today include Dianna Ross (79), and Steven Tyler from Aerosmith (75), and one of Sherrel's favorite home state politicians, Nancy Pelosi (83). And to our members across the pond, British Summer Time started today. Move those clocks forward.

Everybody have a great day.
Fence looks good Willie.

Good evening all. A mix of cloud and rain in the land of the former North British Railway. In fact it is something like this at times.

IMG_2597 (2).JPG

I got these three buildings on Ebay. They were all cream in colour.. A repaint to Leeds Brick red.

IMG_2576.JPG

Renamed two of them and are now on the layout.

IMG_2581.JPG

David

Good evening all. A mix of cloud and rain in the land of the former North British Railway. In fact it is something like this at times.

View attachment 165469

I got these three buildings on Ebay. They were all cream in colour.. A repaint to Leeds Brick red.

View attachment 165470

Renamed two of them and are now on the layout.

View attachment 165471

David

What a transformation! That looks spectacular.

That fellow standing at the doorway to the left. He better duck going through that door.🤣

That fellow standing at the doorway to the left. He better duck going through that door.🤣
Funny you should mention that Mike. There is a Pub in Torquay that dates well and truely back to the Pirate days. The front door and steps leading down to the "bar area" isn't too bad but once down there you definitely have to be careful. I am only 6' .0" and I had to stoop quite a bit so I didn't take my head off :) Wish I could remember the name of the Pub .......... 🤔🤔

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 71F and it's supposed to get to 92F. At least the humidity is still low. Started out with some chores then in the train room I soldered extension wires to the signals and tested them. After that I mounted the 4 signals on the layout, and I will hook them up tomorrow or Tuesday. Other than that, I'm not sure what's on the agenda.

Joe- Great 1:1 photos.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Hughie
- Nice lighting on your layout.

Tom- I hope your cars sold.

Swal- Nice details and scene.

NorthBrit- Nice B&W photo. Nice buildings and scene.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back