Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since Willie asked for updates:

Here are some more Crusader Military Knights. This go, Knights of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem

Been pushing to get these done quick, but I'd never painted that much white cloth. Trying to "weather" it for the desert was challenging, and I repainted the horses twice.

View attachment 163898

View attachment 163899
You keep showing the armies to entice us to another hobby. I was in Noble Knights Game retail store and corporate HQ last week and had an Army of Orcs in my hands. The cute little thing behind the counter said, oh you don’t want that, that’s a beginner set. I put it back and told HIM, I am a orc virgin. He damn near died laughing. Then tried to sell it to me

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 46° here. No rain in the last 24 hours. Fair weather predicted for the next week or so.
We're leaving for Memphis in a couple of hours, looks like that storm system that hit here yesterday is going to be just SE of us all of the way, and moving that way towards Mississippi and Alabama.

Grocery trip was OK yesterday, no food outages and prices have stabilized, at least for this week. Gasoline has gone up with all stations over $3/gal again.
One sign of getting old is that it took longer to pack medications for this trip than to pack clothes!:confused:

Since I'll be away for a few days, I spent all of my time out in the train shed yesterday just running various trains. A few staging to staging unit trains interspersed with a couple of local out and back switching runs. Switching is still done randomly depending on which town I am headed for, but I do line up cars for efficient switching. I have a switching program that I have not activated yet. While my car inventory and shippers/receivers/frequencies information is all in the database, the car locations for 800 freight cars is not entered yet. Program doesn't work without that, and once set up is tough to correct if I deviate. For it to really work well, I need to install a wifi extender and get a laptop or tablet for the train shed. I could transfer everything to a laptop and operate that way, but I prefer to maintain the database on the desktop.

Tom O -

????
Troy - That's good news about no disk collapse.
Mikey - Yeah! We're going to start hearing and reading about every train derailment in the whole country now. Fact is that there historically have been over 1000 per year for years now. Bu it's something for the media to get excited about for a while. Remember spy balloons???
Tom -

One of the things that sucks about the wake tonight is that steak is one menu option, but I'll have to take the fish option. Maybe I could get the steak to go and have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Today is International Bagpipe Day. What a mostly obnoxious instrument. Short spurts are OK, but have you ever had to listen to a bagpipe solo - the pits!
I hear my wife stirring back in the bedroom/bathroom so it's time to get ready. I'm taking the laptop and camera so there may be trip updates coming up. I'll definitely check in every morning if able.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.
Willie, Have a safe trip.

Here is the warning. According to the brother they release when they want, no schedule. So the warning is issued and mostly ignored. He thinks in the 30 years he has had places in Arizona this is the 3rd or 4th flood warning because of dam releases. He says though if it drizzles here they have flood warnings because the streams just wash over the road as flash floods.
1D07A679-A84A-4FF0-92AF-7FF632DE05ED.png

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 46° here. No rain in the last 24 hours. Fair weather predicted for the next week or so.
We're leaving for Memphis in a couple of hours, looks like that storm system that hit here yesterday is going to be just SE of us all of the way, and moving that way towards Mississippi and Alabama.

Grocery trip was OK yesterday, no food outages and prices have stabilized, at least for this week. Gasoline has gone up with all stations over $3/gal again.
One sign of getting old is that it took longer to pack medications for this trip than to pack clothes!:confused:

Since I'll be away for a few days, I spent all of my time out in the train shed yesterday just running various trains. A few staging to staging unit trains interspersed with a couple of local out and back switching runs. Switching is still done randomly depending on which town I am headed for, but I do line up cars for efficient switching. I have a switching program that I have not activated yet. While my car inventory and shippers/receivers/frequencies information is all in the database, the car locations for 800 freight cars is not entered yet. Program doesn't work without that, and once set up is tough to correct if I deviate. For it to really work well, I need to install a wifi extender and get a laptop or tablet for the train shed. I could transfer everything to a laptop and operate that way, but I prefer to maintain the database on the desktop.

Tom O -

????
Troy - That's good news about no disk collapse.
Mikey - Yeah! We're going to start hearing and reading about every train derailment in the whole country now. Fact is that there historically have been over 1000 per year for years now. Bu it's something for the media to get excited about for a while. Remember spy balloons???
Tom -

One of the things that sucks about the wake tonight is that steak is one menu option, but I'll have to take the fish option. Maybe I could get the steak to go and have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Today is International Bagpipe Day. What a mostly obnoxious instrument. Short spurts are OK, but have you ever had to listen to a bagpipe solo - the pits!
I hear my wife stirring back in the bedroom/bathroom so it's time to get ready. I'm taking the laptop and camera so there may be trip updates coming up. I'll definitely check in every morning if able.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.
Willie: Are you able to stop by Mid-South Hobbies? Might be worth a little time. 4862 Summer Ave, Memphis

Later

You keep showing the armies to entice us to another hobby. I was in Noble Knights Game retail store and corporate HQ last week and had an Army of Orcs in my hands. The cute little thing behind the counter said, oh you don’t want that, that’s a beginner set. I put it back and told HIM, I am a orc virgin. He damn near died laughing. Then tried to sell it to me
next up after the Knights of St Lazarus are Orc's little cousins: Goblins!

A podcast for one of the games I'm getting into is having a slow-grow painting "league" this year. One unit a month.

Goblins are a "horde" army, meaning a lot of little bodies on one base. And lots and lots of bases full of them. There are a LOT of greenskins to be painted in my future.

Good luck with the resisting new hobbies.

Good morning from the last day in the desert. We leave for the islands this afternoon. At dinner last night the brother asked if Terry and my sister would be ready to leave today instead of Sunday. Heck, they didn’t want to stop in the desert in the 1st place. With just carry on bags none of us have issues getting packed to go. As Willie said, the meds might take the longest. He was bored, misses his g/f who stayed in Hawaii and says he is able to trade credits to fly us over early.

Terry had some conversations yesterday with the “new” to us CPA firm for our business taxes. They asked if “we” wanted an extension and she said we have had 1 since 1990 so if possible, no. They said they don’t see an issue. That made her happy. What made her unhappy is the old owner of the firm she fired this week called her, begging for the business back. This just after she had one of the the conversations with the new firm. She explained what happened and he was under the impression that Terry was being unreasonable. That ticked her off, as he has known her since the 1980’s and has she ever been unreasonable. Anyway, his pay back is contingent on how many customers stay on with the firm. She asked if he knew the new firm she is working with, he said no why? There are at least 3 partners and many staff from the old firm who started this one. He was unaware…

The son in law texted. They have at least 8” of the white stuff but still coming down till about noon. Wanted to know how many neighbor driveways I do. Normally mine and 1 other but sometimes 3. But 7-8 sidewalks, he said he will take the blower on the tractor and knows which houses I do. Told him though one of the other neighbors might have done the sidewalks.

Smudge617, Chris. I tried Chrome and Firefox browsers last night on the Enginehouse Services website. The missing search box when I use Safari showed up making finding things a lot easier. I then deleted both after placing an order to have it sent to the islands for free. Made sure the order did show up on Safari before I deleted the other 2 browsers. I am not a fan of Google and try to avoid their products. I will add back Firefox whenever I search Enginehouse. Thanks for the info.

Enjoy the day

next up after the Knights of St Lazarus are Orc's little cousins: Goblins!

A podcast for one of the games I'm getting into is having a slow-grow painting "league" this year. One unit a month.

Goblins are a "horde" army, meaning a lot of little bodies on one base. And lots and lots of bases full of them. There are a LOT of greenskins to be painted in my future.

Good luck with the resisting new hobbies.
I think if I bring some home to paint I could get Terry involved. 1/87” little people are just too small for her but these might work out

Morning Sports Fans and those who are counting train derailments!
53 degrees here at this moment going up to 59 with mostly cloudy and a chance of rain? MAYBe up north a ways, but I doubt here. I happened to walk around to the east side of the house (used for storing yard workings) - it is an area about 10 feet wide between the house and a 7 foot block wall where I had sat down an empty HD orange bucket. It was completely full of water, so I know that here I received considerably more water than was reported at the "official" gauging site - which I was happy to see.

Managed to get the firewood unloaded from the P/U and hauled around to the back. Today, barring no rain, I will try and get it stacked. Laughingly, I knew that once I had bought more wood that it would start to warm up. I really don't mind that - if I knew that would happen - I would have bought it much earlier. :rolleyes:

TOM - Safe travels!

WILLIE - Safe travels!

TERRY - Exit tax???

TROY - Better news on the back - better get someone else to move/lift the dryer!

FLO - As I am lat5te to the party today - a BLT with avocado, fries, and a diet DP -please!

I was just thinking, imagine you are the CEO of Norfolk Southern and you are walking up the Capitol steps to be grilled by the Senate, when one of you aides comes racing up the steps, catches you at the door and says, " we derailed another this morning in Alabama".

Willie & Tom - safe trip.
Troy - good news on the disks

Bagpipes - My mom was born in Scotland, need I say more. In my humble opinion, solo is dependent on the selected tune. Dark Island is a beautiful piece is played by a good piper. In groups, most fire departments suck. Look at some of the bands that perform at the Edinburgh Tatoo. Also check out the Black Watch. I'll give you it's not for everyone, but then neither is rap, jazz, heavy metal, or Frank Sinatra.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back