Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, again.
Guy - you are probably talking about me here...
Dave - I wasn't picking on you specifically, although I did suspect you would be one who would like the photos as much as I do.

Any narrow gauge rr as far as you know?
mara - No, there was no narrow gauge here. Canadian National Railway has served this area for all my life, and in the early days it was probably Grand Trunk. Whitecourt is on what's known as the Sangudo spur, which comes off mainline Edmonton to Vancouver.
I suspect lumber in the ol' days was trucked into Whitecourt and loaded onto the train in the Whitecourt yard. The local yard was more extensive back then than it is today. Here's a photo from 1949, that shows a Dutch war bride and her child waiting for someone after arriving by train.
Depot_WtCrt_1949.jpg

One can see lots of track in the background that isn't there anymore today.

Anybody overseas can give me some good pictures
It's not uncommon to find old trucks in the bush somewhere around here.
This one was dragged out of the forest and put into the heritage center yard. I visit it quite often to take photos from different angles in different light. It is a Chevrolet product, as far as I know:
FarmTruck_08-18-2022.JPG

FarmTruck_08-18-2022 (2).JPG

FarmTruck_08-18-2022 (3).JPG

There's no doubt that you should find better photos via Google.

Have a good evening!

Just remembered that last night, as wife and I were coming home from Trader Joe's we almost got rear ended.

Driving about 45mph on a stretch of city road I drive a lot. Residential area built in in the 1960s. The other side slowly giving way to commercial development. Two different sections have professional plazas going in. Road has a bit of a curve. And the guy behind me didn't appreciate me slamming on the brakes hard.

The deer that charged out in front of me, hell-bent to get to the wooded area on the other side of the 4-lane, divided road did appreciate my sudden braking. I really didn't want to give him a ride on my hood and windshield.

Drivers behind me made the stop. No one honked in anger. Deer are deer. Our city is the second largest in the state of Indiana, and we were about two miles from the edge of it. Deer are deer.

Now if we could just get them to cross where the deer crossing signs are posted!

Here's a look at our appetizer from the good, gooey pizza place. Our order of Garlic Knots. Yes, we have pizza aand knots left over for dinner tomorrow.
garlic knots.jpg

Should we send for a priest to give last rites?
No, keep the priest at the rectory. But thanks anyway. Even my brother called but thankfully sent no flowers. Since no one got me the Exactrail coil car on sale today I purchased it myself.

I am sore, but already getting better except for the knee. The right knee is scraped badly but really hurts on the inside left to the touch. The swelling is way down. Once I get moving it actually is ok. But, my Endocrinologist and Terry’s good friend stopped in at 4 and looked me over. She is the head of her department and made a call to her cohort in the orthopedic department and I have an appointment at 7AM tomorrow morning.

The grandson’s birthday dinner at 5Guys (his choice) instead of a Hiabachi dinner was fine. Also, it was a good $200 cheaper but since it was our treat no one cared about what I would have paid. It just amazes me that 5 burgers, 1 hot dog, 2 large fries, sodas and 2 shakes can cost $126.00. They do make awesome fries! Came back to our place for cake and his presents from us. His actual party is Friday and I was told where he and 6 buddies are going but since I am not going, I wasn’t really listening. His sister will be with us, either in the pool with me or riding with grandma and the doctor, depending on weather.

So unless I write in early tomorrow will be much later for me then normal.

Thanks for the good wishes

Hello. I am sore but very happy to be home. I went to sleep just after I wrote up about my fall, at 11pm. Slept good till 4 and then tossed and turned which was pretty hard to do. It was more like a very slow roll into a new position. Everything hurts now that I am up and the meds from the ER have worn off. Now it’s normal 200mg of Ibuprofen because I can’t handle anything with oxycodone in it. I have 2 Tylenol with codiene but unless the pain is unmanageable I won’t take them. I have no plans to fill the Prescription.

I do remember starting to slip, screaming when I hit the ground, seeing the cop and EMS but much of it is fuzzy and being put in the ambulance and noticing all the vehicles. Terry explained what happened and what the doctors and staff were telling me. She asked If I remembered the Cat scan and I said no. Good thing because I freak out for cat scans, MRI and anything else where they put me in a tube. There will be no coffin for me, just a box of ashes to be scattered.

2nd time I have fallen in this spot, 1st time though with injuries. The right knee is bandaged and very swollen. Terry said the instructions say ice! I am cold now, I’ll be chilled very soon.

Thanks to those who checked in and wished me good things, prayers and thoughts.
Thank God, it could have been much worse!

Regular strength acetaminophen works pretty good for me.

So glad to hear you are feeling better.

Yesterday we laid my mom 1932-2022 and Grand Daughter 2010-2010 to rest in the family plot. My daughter and son-in-law had been unable to let go of my granddaughter's cremains for all these years. It was my mom's hope they could be buried together. My mom had been talking to my daughter about it off and on for years. My mom never pushed only gently and briefly informed my daughter. In death my mom is still doing her best for our family. I hope and pray I can follow my mom's examples in many things she did.

Life goes on.

Today I hope to have two Christmas trees set up with lights working. After the trees are up and lit, I will put our two "Elf on the Shelf" "Oriole" and "Smiley" (you must name them!) one on each tree.

My grandsons are too old, 13 and 14 for Santa. But they do play it coy for me. I asked, "are you nervous?", one asked why. I said, "If the elves don't show up you are off Santa's list, no naughty, no nice, nothing!" I added "can you still hear the bell? (Polar Express Bell) Santa does not bring gifts to those who don't believe." Since they were babies, I have always signed their gifts "from Santa" The truth is Santa always brings the best gifts and they know it!

I doubt I will get to the trains to go under the Trees. With a little luck maybe one train. The trains and decorations can follow later. If I am done by December 6th, I will be happy. Truth is I will be happy either way. I'm always happy, with a few exceptions.

Beginning with yesterday we are taking three days off from work. No Amazon, no working from home. I am not even going to answer business phone calls! I can't remember the last time we did that. October, we took two full days off and this month, yesterday was the first day off.

I love to work. But thinking of the words I said at the funeral "The people in our lives are our true gifts. Enjoy each day with them". I need to make my family my priority more often. That does not mean I won't work! Santa needs money to buy great gifts!

Ok first pot of 100% Columbian coffee is half gone. Time to "rock n roll"!

Have a great day Everybody.

Troy, I capitalize Everybody because my train buddies are all capital people. I got two words for that German review. I bet you only need one guess to know what they are. Keep "wording the words" and pay no attention to the haters.

Jeff, great videos!

God Bless Us Everyone! Troy and many others know the guy who worded those words!

Good Morning Louis. No decaf this morning???;)
Good morning to you, my friend!

Decaf? ... Decaf?...

I do half some half-caf from my mom's apartment. My wife makes that for our second or third pot. It's not bad. I prefer 100% Columbian because I like the taste. The half-caf does remind me of all the days we sat having coffee with my mom.
I drink coffee right up to bedtime and I sleep like a baby. No matter what kind I drink. My Mom was the same, coffee all day and night. She drank half-calf because strong coffee sometimes gave her heartburn.

I wish coffee gave me energy! I wish I could be more productive like you, Patrick, and others.

I used to be a "high motor" guy. How I feel determines my energy level now. Even when I feel good my back and hips limit how long I can spend on my feet. I'm not complaining, thank God I can do the little I can do. I may not be productive all day. I am, however, productive almost every day regardless of how I feel. That production might be limited to only a few hours. Something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
A blonde had just gotten a new sports car and was out for a drive when she accidentally cut off a truck driver. He motioned for her to pull over. When she did, he got out of his truck and pulled a piece of chalk from his pocket.
He drew a circle on the side of the road and gruffly commanded the blonde, "Stand in that circle and DON'T MOVE!".
He then went to her car and cut up her leather seats. When he turned around she had a slight grin on her face, so he said "Oh, you think that's funny? Watch this!" He got a baseball bat out of his truck and broke every window in her car. When he turned and looked at her, she had a smile on her face. He was getting really mad.
He got his knife back out and sliced all her tires. Then she was laughing. The truck driver was really starting to lose it. He went back to his truck and got a can of gas, then poured it on her car and set it on fire. He turned around, and she was laughing so hard she was about to fall down.
"WHAT'S SO FUNNY?!" the truck driver hollered to the blonde.
She replied, fighting back her giggling, "Every time you weren't looking, I stepped outside the circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back