Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tad over half an hour, but very worth watching this vid.

Adam Savage of Mythbusters, and former ILM Model maker (Star Wars ep 2/3, Matrix 2/3, etc) visit
the Smithsonian and sees the real shooting model of the Enterprise from Star Trek TOS.

The curator for the Science Fiction section is there, along with real life Shuttle astronaut Cady Coleman, and they discuss the model, Trek, and etc in detail.

Extremely interesting, especially for modelers. Adam has some great painting insights.

Afternoon All,

I did manage to test run 3 locos today and sidelined a 0-8-0 that Dad owns. It has pizza cutter wheels and constantly stalls on the ballasted Code 83 track (now in my display case). Most of the day was spent helping do things for MOH. Tomorrow will be all the last minute things before the family shows up.

Thank you all for the photo likes.

Dave- Thank you.

Guy- I actually think that photo is kind of sad with the lady and daughter sitting by themselves in the middle of nowhere. Love the truck photos.

TomO- Glad you're feeling better.

Louis- We did the same thing with our kids...in fact we still do!

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Good afternoon. Thanksgiving. Can’t think of a bad one.

I was seen by the Orthopedic doctor and his intern shadow this morning. Without saying hello he launched into, you need surgery on the knee. You are too old not to get it done ASAP. We don’t wait the normal 6-8 weeks to see if it gets better… My response was hi, I’m Tom. He looked at me and said, sorry I have to stop doing that! Turned out he is a nice guy.

At 9:00AM I was given a sedative and a few locals and the intern with the official Doctor looking over his shoulder scoped my knee. Talked to me the whole time as they repaired the Medial Collateral Ligament, the MCL. The intern joked he thought by saying though my football days are over. The whole room went silent.

While coming home, my phone rang. It was Social Services wanting to set up an appointment to come to the house to, discuss the “incident”, check out the house if it’s adequate for my recovery and go over safety ideas. 7:30 tonight is a good time I joked, the women said that’s great, we can do that. Then read off the office address and I told her no that is not where I fell. But, that’s where all the information is noted. It’s not where I fell, I fell at home. Geez, that took too long to explain. Because, I am a “senior” and incidents that lead to the ER or hospital are reviewed is what she said as to why Social Services is now involved. I am going to have so much fun tonight with her.

Anyway, I am sore but recovering in all aspects from falling on ice. Therapy starts Friday.

Stop by, I'll lend you my DVD.
I'll be there in about 36 hours.. Takes me longer to drive as I have to work my knees to keep them from locking up! ;)

Wife asked me to download some pictures from email and there was one with a 14 month old young man sitting on a chair watching (a 25") TV.
Cut to anytime you go there there is a much larger young man sitting on a much larger chair watching a much larger (60") TV. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I texted the photo to his parents and him and said after nearly 12 years the kid hasn't moved...

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Today is the birthday of the man who raised me. John James Timmerman was born November 24th, 1898. Happy Birthday!!!

Football (American style) Turkey and Pies!!! I thank God I was born in the USA!

1669277097929.png

Happy turkey days to all you turkeys in the USA 😜 :cool:

Up to word some words.

Wonder whodunnit?

Question for my Canadian friends: (Esp Ontario): Jackets/coats
If stocking caps are toques, is there a term for a parka/heavy winter jacket? Most often in the US, we just say "get your coat" no matter how thick or thin it is.

Have a good Thanksgiving tomorrow folks if you celebrate it, or a good Thursday if you don't.

And just survive Friday if you have to go out and go shopping.
Snowman, with all the online deals I wonder how many people still go out shopping on black Friday.

I used to like to go shopping early on black Friday morning. I liked to go to the grocery stores and load up on frozen turkey marked down to 15-20cents a pound. I don't see those deals anymore.

Good Morning All. Foggy and 51°. It's raining on the other side of IH35, about 7 miles east of here. And it's raining down south in Dallas where I am heading in a few hours; however it should stop there before I hit the road.

I don't remember a bad Thanksgiving in my lifetime. They have all been good to excellent. Well, I did cut my finger carving a turkey about 8 years ago, nothing a band-aid couldn't fix. We always have a Thanksgiving (and Christmas as well), with the entire family descended from my parents. Mom always had a great feast, although Martini's sometimes played havoc with the timing; both the meal timing and the turkey carving. After Mom passed away in '94, we still had them at Dad's house, although my #1 sister and 2-SIL's did all of the cooking. I was handed the carving knife around '99 when Dad turned 70, and it was my job until recently. After he passed in '04, we started rotating between several of my siblings homes. Eventually my #1 brother took over carving when the event was at his house. My #2 brother started a few years later when he was up for rotation. It has actually gotten close to unwieldy now with anywhere from 40-54 people attending. This year is down to 40 overall with 36 for dinner. In addition, after Mom passed, others started to bring side dishes, appetizers and desserts. Through it all, we have never spent Thanksgiving at home except for the last two Covid years.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday.

I made some progress on the antique tractor seat, out in the train shed yesterday, however the pictures suck but I'll post them anyway
IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

I made the seat itself from a piece of clear styrene packaging that was on some Woodland Scenics figures. I cut it out and trimmed it up. This was the only way to get the curvature that I needed.
IMG_2512.JPG

I painted it black and made a crude mount.
IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

Still have to get some trees, figures and vehicles into the scene. I have some detail parts over on the workbench that I am also painting, that I posted a few weeks ago.
No more work out there until Friday.

Louis - Your trees reminds me of an incident earlier this week. A guest on Fox News was berating the White House for putting up a tree on the same day that the President was pardoning the turkeys. Fact: Fox had erected their tree outside the building the night before!

Today is the 51st anniversary of DB Cooper's infamous parachuting into the wilderness over Washington state, America's only unsolved skyjacking.

Everybody have a great Thanksgiving Day. Be safe, don't walk on ice.

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA. I remember waking at 6am and mom having been up a few hours to put the 20-30 pound turkey in the oven. Terry is out with her horses and the 10# turkey she said will go in around 10AM and it will be on the grill on the south deck.

I broke my self imposed rolling stock purchase moratorium this week. Hey, it lasted almost 15 days! The deals have been really great from the online stores I buy from. There have been some super pre-black Friday deals. I may just make my list in the Summer and hold off till T-giving week to buy ( not likely). Some of the guys selling on the FB sites however think they are selling on EBay. Many are selling stuff (especially locomotives) that are cheaper even with taxes and shipping at Lombards, Hiawatha or MidwestModelRailroad. I am kind of shocked the Scaletrains has an authorized sale this year, this week.

As usual today for me will be staying out of Terry’s way in the kitchen. No swimming for me until Monday but rehab on the knee starts tomorrow at one of the UWHealth facilities. Looks like per Maps it is 5 miles away but I have never noticed it before, so new to me. Coach is picking me up and will work out while I find out what my rehab entails. No driving for me for a couple weeks.

Tonight I will flip on the outside Xmas display. It’s been up a couple weeks and tested, today it gets to show off until 1/2/2023. The indoor stuff that Terry has cut back greatly, because of my fall will get cut back even more I am afraid. She has been for years not wanting me to put up our big tree, this year she will get her wish.

Today will be watching football on my big screen and occasionally going over to the train room. Since I have all the paper mill buildings but 2 off the layout, I may paint. I have for a few months been thinking of changing the colors. I like the blue and white scheme of the biomass building, but it might be too much for the other buildings. The only exception is the shipping building because that is brick.

blue and white Biomass building
A41BCCDB-B329-475D-AFEB-AA1778CF5FBC.jpeg

or the burnt umber machine #1 building
A24C2AA7-9483-402A-AE77-2916A66B4A5E.jpeg

Enjoy today however you do or don’t celebrate. If you travel, always be careful but today be extra safe.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Foggy and 51°. It's raining on the other side of IH35, about 7 miles east of here. And it's raining down south in Dallas where I am heading in a few hours; however it should stop there before I hit the road.

I don't remember a bad Thanksgiving in my lifetime. They have all been good to excellent. Well, I did cut my finger carving a turkey about 8 years ago, nothing a band-aid couldn't fix. We always have a Thanksgiving (and Christmas as well), with the entire family descended from my parents. Mom always had a great feast, although Martini's sometimes played havoc with the timing; both the meal timing and the turkey carving. After Mom passed away in '94, we still had them at Dad's house, although my #1 sister and 2-SIL's did all of the cooking. I was handed the carving knife around '99 when Dad turned 70, and it was my job until recently. After he passed in '04, we started rotating between several of my siblings homes. Eventually my #1 brother took over carving when the event was at his house. My #2 brother started a few years later when he was up for rotation. It has actually gotten close to unwieldy now with anywhere from 40-54 people attending. This year is down to 40 overall with 36 for dinner. In addition, after Mom passed, others started to bring side dishes, appetizers and desserts. Through it all, we have never spent Thanksgiving at home except for the last two Covid years.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday.

I made some progress on the antique tractor seat, out in the train shed yesterday, however the pictures suck but I'll post them anyway
View attachment 156586
View attachment 156587
I made the seat itself from a piece of clear styrene packaging that was on some Woodland Scenics figures. I cut it out and trimmed it up. This was the only way to get the curvature that I needed.
View attachment 156588
I painted it black and made a crude mount.
View attachment 156589
View attachment 156590View attachment 156591
View attachment 156592
View attachment 156593
Still have to get some trees, figures and vehicles into the scene. I have some detail parts over on the workbench that I am also painting, that I posted a few weeks ago.
No more work out there until Friday.

Louis - Your trees reminds me of an incident earlier this week. A guest on Fox News was berating the White House for putting up a tree on the same day that the President was pardoning the turkeys. Fact: Fox had erected their tree outside the building the night before!

Today is the 51st anniversary of DB Cooper's infamous parachuting into the wilderness over Washington state, America's only unsolved skyjacking.

Everybody have a great Thanksgiving Day. Be safe, don't walk on ice.
Willie, Willie, Willie.... You would never have had that little accident with the Turkey if you had just followed the example set by the experts:

:D :D :D

Love the road signs on the door and the collection of license plates too. There is a house not far away has a similar collection, albeit all Colorado plates.

Time for me to go make pumpkin pies*, which I should have done yesterday. Ah well. "Coffee, Flo. Better make it espresso too...in a big mug. I'll need a full pot too...to go."

[* I do this every year. Libby's Pumpkin original recipe, but then double the cinnamon]

----------

Anyway...make it a good day, whatever you do.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

Temp at 31 and "freezing fog", this is what it looks like doesn't bother the chickadees:

IMG_2882 r.JPG

There is a couple inches on the ground still, a little more in the woods, it melted some yesterday

Hughie - the motel fits in there fine, looks very good

Willie - I like the tractor, it looks great in front of the antique building

THANKS to those who shared some thanksgiving memories!

We are having some company today, Wifes sister and some nieces and nephews. Will be seeing her daughter Sunday, I have Monday off as well will be recovering.

Started on a fence I will be adding to the layout, something I purchased years ago finally getting around to installing it, maybe start this morning also need to tidy up the train room for guests...

TomO - looking like you are heading for a speady recovery!

A pic from my layout I have been adding details

IMG_2873r.JPG

back later I believe, Dave LASM

The year I left my first wife I spent Thanksgiving alone with my Dalmatian, Mickey. I dropped my daughter off at her grandmothers (wife's mother) to have dinner. Mick and I had turkey hotdogs and I had sauerkraut. After dinner we took a long walk. When we returned we sat on the floor watching football and we had a great day!

Once again, Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back