Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.
Our favorite Frenchman has once again run afoul of the anti-spam program, and his 14 current user id's have been blocked.

In other news, I've asked Bob to look into recruiting some help, since I seem to be the only active moderator.

pain is gradually coming back to my back. Morning walk didn't really help it much. Might be from digging the hole yesterday to uncover the septic tank lid.
Main event today is cigar lounge. Always look forward to that. Yeah, we talk politics there too but nobody gets hit or besmirched, well at least with intent to cause pain.
I'll hook up a few more chains to the loco flatcar load and pour a little more ballast this morning before getting cleaned up.
I'm waiting on a response from Azatrax and another technical reference before buying the grade crossing equipment. I think I'll pass on the "Wehonest" vendor. Yeah, they may be reputable Willie, but even at $45 or so, it would still gripe me if things went nuts. Sorta the, wearing your reputation on your sleeve thing.

back from a 2 wk hiatus, just due to no www access. skimmed/scanned thru quickly
So, to not get into areas non-gratis I submit the following:
Mid 20's (C) at end of sept is bonus time in this neck of the woods.
I think (hope) my Jays will be in playoffs. Be nice if they could pull off a win today.

Attachments

• duhamel.JPG
    duhamel.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 49
  • fabyan steve young.jpg
    fabyan steve young.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 52
  • bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 48
  • viaduct.JPG
    viaduct.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 56
Hello Terry.welcome back!

Good morning from the cold side of the country.
946178C3-1062-4458-BE3D-018563B3F507.png

The book release of Pete Souza former White House Chief photographer under President OBama and assistant Chief Photographer under President Reagan was a great event last night for Terry (the wife ) and 4 invited friends and my sister. Some of the audience tried during the Q/A portion to turn it political but he never bit into that. Made it pleasurable for me as you could See the attempts coming. He alone in the OBama administration took and they are stored in the US Archives as public records 1.89 million photos in 8 years. Including the blurry ones! There are over 2.5 million total from all of the White House Photographers during MR. OBama’s term. Under Reagan because it was not yet digital he said all the public record WH photos totaled about 700,000. It was under President Bush’s chief photographer that they went digital and there are over a million for Mr Bush #43.

Today is a try to stay warm while working out day. Treadmill for me. Some work to be done at the weathering bench.

I lost access to my pictures stored on the external hard drive yesterday, they went poof! I have only 30 pictures in my IPadPro library. My son is working on my access to the Apple Cloud that I have never intentionally used but there might be some there as it is free for me to use. Since I never disabled it, some of my photos should be there. He has contacts at Apple in Austin! If he had no success overnight, the friend who coaches at the University will take it to the IT group on campus. He and his wife joined us for Terry’s B-day dinner last night. He generally does not go out during hockey season but had a good time and was very relaxed his wife said especially since the season did start last weekend.

The granddaughter has a softball game at 6 tonight and then afterwards we will have a combined birthday cake for Terry’s birthday yesterday and for mine tomorrow. She is 1 year and 2 days older then MR. Loveable (that’s me). Tomorrow we head north to Ashland, Wi. and we have been told the color changes are spectacular. We will head north to Chippewa Falls on I94, stop at the Leinenkugel brewery for a tour and sampling. Then drive up US Hwy 53 to Cable for a late lunch at a place that was on Drive Ins, Diners and Dives. We try to eat at one of these places that have appeared on the show each trip. Need to call if they are still open!
FB3360BA-899C-44AB-BDB3-2A39BA415959.png

For this adventure, if they are still open since their showtime appearance we might hit 4 possibly 6. We have learned to call. Many though have stopped serving the featured foods on the show to non-locals.

I filled the vehicles yesterday. Regular for my VW was $3.99, Premium for Terry’s machines was $4.59. Local TV said it’s because of refinery issues in California. Strange for the Midwest as our refineries are in Indiana and supposely going full bore! Greed by The Oil Companies

That’s it, enjoy the day

Good morning,

A frosty 29° and clear, had to scrape the windshield this morning!

RANT:
Chet - (not political) You gotta love the term "haters", anyone can apply it to anyone. My 'favorite ' (most ironic) yard sign that frequented the Minneapolis rich and poor peoples sidewalks, the "UNITE "and a big fist. Does that mean we fight to unite, or we unite to fight, and we are fighting, none other than, HATERS!!!!

you gotta laugh!

On other news, got a pic from my layout last night, added barrels and a truck to the Wyoming area

(I added people but lo and behold, they did not make the picture!!)

IMG_2713.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

The book release of Pete Souza former White House Chief photographer under President OBama and assistant Chief Photographer under President Reagan was a great event last night for Terry (the wife ) and 4 invited friends and my sister. Some of the audience tried during the Q/A portion to turn it political but he never bit into that. Made it pleasurable for me as you could See the attempts coming. He alone in the OBama administration took and they are stored in the US Archives as public records 1.89 million photos in 8 years. Including the blurry ones! There are over 2.5 million total from all of the White House Photographers during MR. OBama’s term. Under Reagan because it was not yet digital he said all the public record WH photos totaled about 700,000. It was under President Bush’s chief photographer that they went digital and there are over a million for Mr Bush #43.
There is a great 1 hour or so documentary on being a White House photographer, and following Pete through a few months of photographing the Obama White House.

I showed it to my Photo Classes at university as a way to showcase the mindset and methods for getting photos in a journalistic setting. If I can find the link to it, I'll post it.

Hi all,

I can tell it is fall and winter is coming - - - - because my golf game is finally peaking and becoming quite enjoyable. A sure sign the end of the season is near! That said, however, I think we will be playing golf here in 'snow-ta pretty deep into November. This morning was the first frost here in the cities and almost October!

Please excuse my absence - - been busy with a house project as well as work which ramps up with the school year. Also took a quickie trip to Wash DC to see my daughter and her husband. Nice trip and good fun. Purpose was to offer support for her. She had her 'annual' check at the NIH to evaluate the extent of her vision loss. We were expecting significant degradation, esp since she has not been seen since 2019 because of the 'vid. But actually, not bad at all. Some loss of peripheral, and a few central 'holes,' but no where near legal blindness ... yet. They did tell her, or at least she first heard, that she will become legally blind. No longer an 'if.' Watching TV with her, amazing that she oftentimes cannot see writing on the screen. Say if a show does a flashback and puts up text stating time and place - she often misses that. <sigh>

Dave - we too are looking forward to the train ride! Should be great fun. I wish I was making layout progress like you are, but too much going on, right now. But winter is coming! I do try to take a few minutes every now and then and run trains. I made up an express reefer train and run it down the main - - but I fear that produce will have rotten as I have not yet taken it into its destination!

Steve J

Local TV said it’s because of refinery issues in California. Strange for the Midwest as our refineries are in Indiana and supposely going full bore!

And probably shipping the special blends California requires there to make up for their refineries being off-line. Most of the rest of the nation can get by on "normal" blends but California has a whole raft of special blends for special times, seasons, purposes, and refineries have to adjust just for California.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and a chilly 64° here in Gulf Shores. Still on hurricane watch, but it will most likely track east of it's original projection and just send some rain here. Curt and Phil will get extremely wet. It's windy here, about 20 mph from the north. The waves are much higher today than the last three days and are breaking about 75' off shore, where there were no breakers until last night.

We were treated to a dolphin show last evening just before leaving for supper, at least a half dozen or more about 100' away frolicking in the calm Gulf waters. One of the advantages of a fifth floor balcony. Yesterday we traveled 10 miles north to Foley AL to visit their train museum. It is in a rebuilt L&N depot.
IMG_1997[1].JPG

IMG_1998[1].JPG

There's miscellaneous RR related stuff in the front part of the museum including this wood burning stove in the waiting room.
IMG_1954[1].JPG

How about a potato sorter from days gone by.
IMG_1958[1].JPG

In the back, there is a very large 60'x20' O scale layout that was donated to the museum. The donor, whose name I cannot remember, donated it with the stipulation that it be open to the public free of charge.
A couple of shots.
IMG_1959[1].JPG
IMG_1961[1].JPG
IMG_1962[1].JPG

I have many more pictures that I will post after I get home and download them on the PC and sort them.
Meanwhile across the road from the railroad museum is the Holmes Medical Museum. A Doctor Holmes established the first hospital in Foley on the second floor of a bunch of shops. It was pretty neat, and the museum is still in the original hospital over a bunch of shops. My overview shot didn't work out, but here's a picture of the place on the wall inside.
IMG_2005[1].JPG

They don't use the original hospital entrance, but use an old store next door that still has some of that memorabilia mixed with hospital stuff.
IMG_2002[1].JPG

I'll post more pictures soon, along with more model rr shots from the two museums and maybe a few from the zoo.

Gotta go right now, I'll be back later.
Everybody have a great day.

Hello Terry.welcome back!

Good morning from the cold side of the country.
View attachment 152428

Today is a try to stay warm while working out day. Treadmill for me. Some work to be done at the weathering bench.

I lost access to my pictures stored on the external hard drive yesterday, they went poof! I have only 30 pictures in my IPadPro library. My son is working on my access to the Apple Cloud that I have never intentionally used but there might be some there as it is free for me to use. Since I never disabled it, some of my photos should be there. He has contacts at Apple in Austin! If he had no success overnight, the friend who coaches at the University will take it to the IT group on campus. He and his wife joined us for Terry’s B-day dinner last night. He generally does not go out during hockey season but had a good time and was very relaxed his wife said especially since the season did start last weekend.

The granddaughter has a softball game at 6 tonight and then afterwards we will have a combined birthday cake for Terry’s birthday yesterday and for mine tomorrow. She is 1 year and 2 days older then MR. Loveable (that’s me). Tomorrow we head north to Ashland, Wi. and we have been told the color changes are spectacular. We will head north to Chippewa Falls on I94, stop at the Leinenkugel brewery for a tour and sampling. Then drive up US Hwy 53 to Cable for a late lunch at a place that was on Drive Ins, Diners and Dives. We try to eat at one of these places that have appeared on the show each trip. Need to call if they are still open!
View attachment 152429

For this adventure, if they are still open since their showtime appearance we might hit 4 possibly 6. We have learned to call. Many though have stopped serving the featured foods on the show to non-locals.

I filled the vehicles yesterday. Regular for my VW was $3.99, Premium for Terry’s machines was $4.59. Local TV said it’s because of refinery issues in California. Strange for the Midwest as our refineries are in Indiana and supposely going full bore! Greed by The Oil Companies

That’s it, enjoy the day

Are your external hard drives SSD or other? I went through this 4 years ago and switched everything to SSD. I am not an Apple user I use Android Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G. It has 128 GB internal storage and 250 GB micro SD card storage. I can use the cloud but I have a Wifi system at home for my own "cloud" a 'closed circuit' encrypted that my phone backs up to on to SDD by Seagate 8 TB and WD 6 TB. I do not use google or any other proprietary cloud system. This system is not connected to the outside world as I do not have internet service at home or cable. I use my phone if I need internet etc. The world wide web doesn't need my info or pics. I do a back up once a month with the phone and laptop. I will never fill those drives but it's nice to have them.

There is a great 1 hour or so documentary on being a White House photographer, and following Pete through a few months of photographing the Obama White House.

I showed it to my Photo Classes at university as a way to showcase the mindset and methods for getting photos in a journalistic setting. If I can find the link to it, I'll post it.
He now lives in Madison, Wi. and we have run into him at events. Very down to earth and compassionate person. Terry follows him on Instagram. His current book only has a few Obama included pictures. It’s about the rest of the White House.

Terry says she has watched the documentary and enjoyed it.

Are your external hard drives SSD or other? I went through this 4 years ago and switched everything to SSD. I am not an Apple user I use Android Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G. It has 128 GB internal storage and 250 GB micro SD card storage. I can use the cloud but I have a Wifi system at home for my own "cloud" a 'closed circuit' encrypted that my phone backs up to on to SDD by Seagate 8 TB and WD 6 TB. I do not use google or any other proprietary cloud system. This system is not connected to the outside world as I do not have internet service at home or cable. I use my phone if I need internet etc. The world wide web doesn't need my info or pics. I do a back up once a month with the phone and laptop. I will never fill those drives but it's nice to have them.
It is a LaCie Raid 8tb external hard drive. The local networking company where the son purchased it for us will come out this afternoon.

I have recovered some pictures off of the Apple Cloud storage thing I guess we have. But the external hard drive does not back up to it. We also have a secure internal home network mesh system that saves everything to the Raid system. In 4 years no issues with it.

Beyond my expertise. Off to the weathering bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back