Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang
Been absent of late, life has been trying.
Last Friday afternoon, (7/22) I got off of work early anticipating a good weekend. I get home a little after 1 and was informed that the cat has not moved in 12 hours, and wont move to stand up if prodded, and he's just panting. Oh, and the central air is not cooling. Went down to check on the cat, not looking good, wife takes him to the vet while I try to fix the a/c. No joy there.
Called the company that installed it 6-7 years ago, they are more than happy to set up a service call, on August the 8th. I set it up then called a buddy of mine who owns an HVAC business outside of D.C. He can help, but it's way out of his area and he refers a local guy. I call him and he says they will be out tomorrow. (7/23) Great!
Then I go and put a window unit from the garage into our bedroom window. 1 small victory. Finally I hook up the trailer which is loaded with limbs and debris left over from the recent storms, to take to the dump Saturday. Drat, lights on the trailer aren't working!
Vet calls, cat needs IV fluids and 24 hr monitoring , testing reveals possible pancreatitis. They do not offer overnight care. Called Baltimore Pet hospital, full. Frederick MD, full, North Baltimore falls Road, full. Shrewsberry Pa, says bring him right up! So I disconnect the trailer, grab the wife and the cat and head north. Over an hour later we get there and stay for the next 3+hours waiting for them to run more tests and x-rays and they tell us he's staying put and is stable. We get home around 11 p.m. and I know my weekend is shot.
Saturday dawns and around 10 a.m. the HVAC guy calls and says he's on the way. He arrives 30 minutes later and gets to work. meanwhile its already 90 outside, I say no to the trailer rewire/repair. After an hour or so he gets the a/c running, only to have it quit 20 minutes later. More diag, more effort, another burnt fuse but no additional amp load. He finally traces it to a poor internal connection in the outside fused cut out switch. The one place that only HVAC guys disconnect before they service it. Where the connection was bad was red hot! OK, more repairs there and this time it's fixed.
Called the vet, cat seems to be improving but he also has had no BMs in 24 hrs, plus he's not eating. They want to give the cat an enema. I say better you than me. I'll call back in the morning.
I did get the yard cut Saturday while the wife enjoyed the neighbors pool. We are cat sitting for them while they are in Key West for the week. So I am still scooping a litter box daily, even if may cat is in another state! Meanwhile the new Husky has been finding every weak spot in the fence and probing it. I may look into electrifying the fence. It kept the cows in at home.
Sunday afternoon the vet called and said we can come take our cat home, he is feeling better and eating. So we trek north again to retrieve our little bundle of fur and med to administer for the next week.
Weekends total expenditure. AC repair $475.00 1st vet $375.00 2nd vet/hospital, $1,415.78 or $2,265.78
I thought I might get some rest during the work week, but Monday and Tuesday my post-menopausal co-worker must have been having flashbacks and after a screaming match we were both sent to our corners. I honestly was so pissed I borrowed a cig from a co-worker and smoked it clean to the butt. 1st one I had in 11 years.
Yesterday was a normal day, but the rest of the week caught up to me, I had to sleep.
TO cap it all off, today I find out that a friend I have known since I was 15, a former next door neighbor ,high school classmate, for years we had people thinking he was my younger brother, was killed in a wreck caused by an impaired driver, so now I have memorial services this weekend and a funeral to attend this coming week.
I just wanna play with my trains, but it's not allowed.

Good evening. Dropped in after a long absence.

Getting settled in the new place. I still have boxes that haven't been opened. My train goodies are in them. I have some items that Willie wanted all boxed up but the movers packed that box into a larger box that I haven't opened (or found yet).

Talked to Sherrel and he mentioned that ctclibby from Libby, MT was on the forum. I will try to get in touch with him.

I am so glad to be out of the Bozeman area. When I moved back to montana over 45 years ago, it had a nice small town feeling similar to what Libby had, but in recent tears, the new crop of newbies seem to have some really rude people moving into the area, thinking that they are better than the locals. Speaking of the locals, they have driven up the home prices to the point that people born and raised there, like my son and his wife, can't afford to live there. When I sold the house, my daughter was wondering why I didn't rent a place in the area. She didn't realize that the rent for a decent place was over $2,000 a month and that most places will not allow pets.

I guess that one reason that I haven't been coming in for coffee is that I am sad to see layout photos, wishing that I still had a layout.

I have my age catching up with me. Having my right shoulder replaced a couple of years ago, I now have to get my left shoulder done. It is a bit of a pain because the closest place I can have it done is in Kalispell, which is 90 miles to the east. Saw the surgeon after an MRI which I was able to get here and he said that the shoulder was way past rotator surgery. It sounds like a box of Rice Krispies with all of the snap, crackle and pop noises.

Guess I'll reach into the archives for a few photos.

20180211_132140.jpg
20180211_135743.jpg
thumbnail_20190824_171933.jpg
thumbnail_20191014_050800.jpg
thumbnail_20190622_130123.jpg
thumbnail_20200128_164349.jpg
006.jpg

Gotta run. The dogs are indicating that they need to go out.

Later

I finally heard back from Customer Service about the bag fee law.
It's a corporate revenue enhancement policy for the one that called me, and I managed to dig up on the other place that it's the same thing. Not a law, a cash grab to further drain my dwindling finances.
So, Walmart and Best Buy, so far, are now no-fly zones for me.

Since I can find exactly zero about this "law", I wonder if it's simply the places I do business with finding a new way to make up $$$.
It could be just the local ordinance. We have traveled all over the USA and environmental laws are different everywhere and different from county to county and sometimes just in a city. Austin, Texas allows no plastic bags if I remember correctly and if you don’t have your own bag they charge for each paper one. Here at home they give you a choice of plastic or paper but the plastic ones have already been recycled from other plastic. That part is in the liberal state of Dane County Wisconsin. Up in North Central, definitely not a liberal area I know plastic was available but I don’t remember it having to already been recycled.

Edit::

Terry,
I see you got an answer from a customer service. That one seems strange that it is a corporate man date

Last edited:
Good evening gang
Been absent of late, life has been trying.
Last Friday afternoon, (7/22) I got off of work early anticipating a good weekend. I get home a little after 1 and was informed that the cat has not moved in 12 hours, and wont move to stand up if prodded, and he's just panting. Oh, and the central air is not cooling. Went down to check on the cat, not looking good, wife takes him to the vet while I try to fix the a/c. No joy there.
Called the company that installed it 6-7 years ago, they are more than happy to set up a service call, on August the 8th. I set it up then called a buddy of mine who owns an HVAC business outside of D.C. He can help, but it's way out of his area and he refers a local guy. I call him and he says they will be out tomorrow. (7/23) Great!
Then I go and put a window unit from the garage into our bedroom window. 1 small victory. Finally I hook up the trailer which is loaded with limbs and debris left over from the recent storms, to take to the dump Saturday. Drat, lights on the trailer aren't working!
Vet calls, cat needs IV fluids and 24 hr monitoring , testing reveals possible pancreatitis. They do not offer overnight care. Called Baltimore Pet hospital, full. Frederick MD, full, North Baltimore falls Road, full. Shrewsberry Pa, says bring him right up! So I disconnect the trailer, grab the wife and the cat and head north. Over an hour later we get there and stay for the next 3+hours waiting for them to run more tests and x-rays and they tell us he's staying put and is stable. We get home around 11 p.m. and I know my weekend is shot.
Saturday dawns and around 10 a.m. the HVAC guy calls and says he's on the way. He arrives 30 minutes later and gets to work. meanwhile its already 90 outside, I say no to the trailer rewire/repair. After an hour or so he gets the a/c running, only to have it quit 20 minutes later. More diag, more effort, another burnt fuse but no additional amp load. He finally traces it to a poor internal connection in the outside fused cut out switch. The one place that only HVAC guys disconnect before they service it. Where the connection was bad was red hot! OK, more repairs there and this time it's fixed.
Called the vet, cat seems to be improving but he also has had no BMs in 24 hrs, plus he's not eating. They want to give the cat an enema. I say better you than me. I'll call back in the morning.
I did get the yard cut Saturday while the wife enjoyed the neighbors pool. We are cat sitting for them while they are in Key West for the week. So I am still scooping a litter box daily, even if may cat is in another state! Meanwhile the new Husky has been finding every weak spot in the fence and probing it. I may look into electrifying the fence. It kept the cows in at home.
Sunday afternoon the vet called and said we can come take our cat home, he is feeling better and eating. So we trek north again to retrieve our little bundle of fur and med to administer for the next week.
Weekends total expenditure. AC repair $475.00 1st vet $375.00 2nd vet/hospital, $1,415.78 or $2,265.78
I thought I might get some rest during the work week, but Monday and Tuesday my post-menopausal co-worker must have been having flashbacks and after a screaming match we were both sent to our corners. I honestly was so pissed I borrowed a cig from a co-worker and smoked it clean to the butt. 1st one I had in 11 years.
Yesterday was a normal day, but the rest of the week caught up to me, I had to sleep.
TO cap it all off, today I find out that a friend I have known since I was 15, a former next door neighbor ,high school classmate, for years we had people thinking he was my younger brother, was killed in a wreck caused by an impaired driver, so now I have memorial services this weekend and a funeral to attend this coming week.
I just wanna play with my trains, but it's not allowed.
Karl, I'm so sorry.

Things can only get better, I hope.

I hope the cat is ok.

Maybe you could look into those perimeter fences that work with the dogs collar. I don't like the idea of shocking the dog, but it could save his life. Not to mention save you from hunting him down.

May God be with you my friend.

Last edited:
Good evening. Dropped in after a long absence.

Getting settled in the new place. I still have boxes that haven't been opened. My train goodies are in them. I have some items that Willie wanted all boxed up but the movers packed that box into a larger box that I haven't opened (or found yet).

Talked to Sherrel and he mentioned that ctclibby from Libby, MT was on the forum. I will try to get in touch with him.

I am so glad to be out of the Bozeman area. When I moved back to montana over 45 years ago, it had a nice small town feeling similar to what Libby had, but in recent tears, the new crop of newbies seem to have some really rude people moving into the area, thinking that they are better than the locals. Speaking of the locals, they have driven up the home prices to the point that people born and raised there, like my son and his wife, can't afford to live there. When I sold the house, my daughter was wondering why I didn't rent a place in the area. She didn't realize that the rent for a decent place was over $2,000 a month and that most places will not allow pets.

I guess that one reason that I haven't been coming in for coffee is that I am sad to see layout photos, wishing that I still had a layout.

I have my age catching up with me. Having my right shoulder replaced a couple of years ago, I now have to get my left shoulder done. It is a bit of a pain because the closest place I can have it done is in Kalispell, which is 90 miles to the east. Saw the surgeon after an MRI which I was able to get here and he said that the shoulder was way past rotator surgery. It sounds like a box of Rice Krispies with all of the snap, crackle and pop noises.

Guess I'll reach into the archives for a few photos.

View attachment 149366View attachment 149367View attachment 149368View attachment 149369View attachment 149370View attachment 149371View attachment 149372

Gotta run. The dogs are indicating that they need to go out.

Later
Hey Chet! I'm so very glad to see your post!

I always love seeing photos of your masterpiece. Building something like that is like pitching a no hitter. Nobody can ever take that away from you.

Orioles win again, 3-0 (50-49) I only hope they stand pat or they are sellers at the trade deadline. They are loaded with young talent and prospects, but history shows injuries can come in bunches. Look at the Rays, over 15 injured players this season! Earl Weaver use to say "you need deep depth"

Besides, can anybody beat the Yankees this year? Maybe Houston in a short series.The baby birds may yet surprise people, even the Yankees! I just don't want to see the Orioles give away the future.

We are in Galena, Il. just sight seeing. Getting ready to head back but eating ice cream 1st. Its a old Riverboat town and mining center that in 1845 had 12,000 residents, 2000 more then Chicago had at the time. Now, the City sign says 2712 folks live there. The 320’ wide river in 1850 is now maybe 30’ wide and 2’ deep. It is an interesting history. A very hilly town as it is in the Driftless region of NW Illinois and the SW portions of Wisconsin. 12 miles from emptying into the Mississippi River near Dubuque, Iowa. The picture of the steps, that is called the old High School steps. Students climbed those 250 steps everyday to get to HS Until the 1960’s. Just some other pictures of many taken.
View attachment 149359View attachment 149360View attachment 149361View attachment 149362
That lower left building looks a lot like the walthers city scene kits of today

Good morning all! Gonna be another busy day at work and I won't have any help. As I previously mentioned, yesterday was one part-timer's last day and the other one starts vacation today. It's going to be a busy week ahead trying to get everything done by myself. Hoping I don't get more stuff piled on top of what I already need to do but probably will.

Karl: Hope things start getting better for you very soon. Glad to hear the cat is doing better.

Hope you all have a great day!

Well howdy there, plastic bag hoarders and those who do cloth

It's Troy again.

Seems the woodpeckers have moved on down to the next few units. We've got 10 in our row, so they're just past half done with the front side. The back will take longer.

Here's what it looks like for now. Gutter guys are coming out next week?

Condo1.jpg

Condo2.jpg

The installation included replacing the old soffit and fascia boards. The fascia "boards" were pre-painted by the crew, stacked, then slide out of the truck. So the marring. Waiting to see if it's just dust that washes off, or if we'll need to paint it again.

condo3.jpg
The chimney and two-light window to the right of it are part of the neighbor's unit. there will be a gutter installed on the fascia above our three-light window.

Of to shower, then get laundry and writing done. Got 2800+ words yesterday. If I do that today, story will be almost done.

Good Morning All. Clear and 78° and it may not reach triple digits today or tomorrow. Close though after 102° yesterday. NWS has reinstated the rain chance in our forecast for late this afternoon, 40% chance of less than a quarter inch. We'll see.

The weekly grocery trek went as planned yesterday except we skipped the pharmacy. Due to construction on the freeway, and a traffic backup of over 7 miles, we took an alternate route home and didn't pass through the town where the pharmacy is. The alternate route is just as good and is only a half mile further. Wife will be going through town on Monday and will pick up the prescriptions then. Grocery prices seem to have stabilized in the grocery store, but there are a few oddities. Quality steak is cheaper than ground beef and chuck roasts are less than half the price. I regularly buy chuck roasts and make my own ground beef anyway. I'm probably not as accurate on the lean/fat % as they are! Bacon was really cheap as well. Gas prices are staying in the $3.35-$3.40 /gallon as well.
Got back from the trip early enough that I actually split some wood from the tree that I had taken down last fall. I have been having some minor issues with Sciatica for the last few weeks, and I am now upping the exercise level gradually. The "little blue pills" to me are Aleve.

The county crew did a great job on the ditch out front. They'll be back today to do the east side of the road. The ditch has not looked this good in the 41 years that I have lived here. The grass/weeds on the left extended all of the way to the road edge marked by arrow; and were 3.5' high. Hence my comment yesterday regarding the mower.
IMG_1388 (2).jpg

Just from my 1000' of frontage, they hauled eight dump trucks of debris. I won't see this type of work again in my lifetime!

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding my slow progress on the layout; Joe, Guy, Troy, Steve J, Chad, Smudge, Sherrel, Hughie, Dave B, Patrick, Mikey, Gary, Curt, Rick, Tom O, Louis, Tom, OB Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I touched up some of the previous days paint. I also started painting the previously described backdrop. I got about half of it done, enough to proceed in the area that I am upgrading right now.
IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Tom O - That's one heck of a set of stairs!
Sherrel - Good luck with the house whichever way that y'all choose to go.
Hughie - That's a real drag about the kit parts.
Karl - I was wondering about you yesterday, and then you popped up. Tough week, but you and kitty survived.
Chet - Great that all is still going well. Knowing you as I do, that was a great decision to move on to Libby, although losing the layout was really tough. I hope to resurrect parts of it whenever you are able to find the box. It will be an honor to do so.
Good luck on the left shoulder. My wife recently had to have her left knee completely redone after the original replacement in 2019.

No bag fee here yet. I always choose paper myself. Wife always gets plastic which we reuse 2-3 times until they disintegrate. the paper is used to accumulate the "burn" trash and is eventually burned.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning!
Canadian style heat wave passing through for the next little while. Hit a high of 89.6F yesterday, which pretty well immobilizes me.
I'll be doing a rain dance today!

All I could bare yesterday, was to hide in the cool of the basement. Did get a-lot done on the layout, though. Worked on some detail stuff and built a berm around the oil storage tanks. I also caulked the entire corner edge around the layout, where the table meets the back-board. Also, I built and painted a sidewalk section.
I decaled up a half dozen of each colour of 55gal. oil drum. I'm still debating whether or not I like those Shell decals on them. It is what it is, though. Here's a flash washed out photo :
OilDeal_07-28-2022 (2).JPG

It is supposed to be a couple degree's cooler today, but, still hot. So, I plan on being in the basement again, getting more done on the layout.
I think I'll throw down some sand base today. I've already experimented with the sand, and it looks like it will work for me. Should of taken a photo of the sanding experiments. I'll do that today, as I'm going along.

As far as I know, we don't have Amish in Alberta. We have Hudderites and Mennonites. I don't care for the Mennonite working attitude; the way they hog all the work for their own group. It's like, if you let one Mennonite in; you let them all in. Just don't care for that type of selfish attitude.
I like the Hudderites, though. They're good people, and very helpful to others.

Chet - Great to hear from you. I hope you'll consider a small layout in the new digs. I have a belief; if you give up, then you die. A person needs to believe they are 18yrs forever, and keep building things.

Troy - The renovated digs are looking good!

Karl - Very sorry to hear about you're friend. That's a tough, unnecessary way to go. I do hope things improve for you.

Hughie - Bummer about the new kit contents. Hope the company treats you good, and corrects the issues.

Well, the cups empty again. Time to get moving.
Have a great day, everyone!

Good morning all,

55° and sunshine. Headed for low 70's. Dumped off the freight cars on a siding and cleaned the wheels on the Varney 10 wheeler. Then watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke with the wife. She doesn't like me spending all evening on the train, so I get some time in here and there, also much of the day Saturday.

Tom O - those pics of Galena, particularly the steps, remind me of Alma, Wis, where my Great uncles had a fishing float in the 50's and late 60's.

Bags - we have been using cloth for years. Wife keeps them in our car, under the seat. Some of them are from merchants no longer in business around here, like Pamida.

Chet - Great to hear from you !!!!!! We moved out rural last year and got out of the Cities while everything was going to downhill. You probably hear about Minneapolis on the news, we lived there during the riots, not many blocks from the destruction. Our post office and library were burned down. No special investigation for that nightmare, however.

Karl - WOW, my blood pressure is up just reading about your ordeals. I hope the cat has a full recovery.

Here is a pic of the clouds out our bedroom window last night. We had a few quick showers. The pond we call the Grand pond is barely visible, actually spreads out to 20 acres, much more can be seen when leaves are off

IMG_2436.JPG

Those big clouds are over west central, probably Webster, Wisconsin

more later, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back