Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Crew from the moist south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. The deck and side of the house along with all the vegetation have a heavy coating of dew. 69f degrees now and heading to 89.

The son is still entertaining who I thought was a cousin but isn’t really. She, per Terry, is a step cousin so actually no relationship by blood. She is going to fly with him when he leaves tomorrow back home to Austin. She has an interview at Dell’s Children’s Hospital this week on Austin’s east side just a few miles from the son’s place. She was telling us among other things last night at dinner how lucrative hospital management can be. She claims to have reached her ceiling in the healthcare system she is in here in Wisconsin. She says she needs to finish up her MBA but not sure she will.

We went to a Art fair/craft/foodie festival yesterday and it got hot quick. Then Terry and I dropped everyone off at home and hit up a couple of the grocery stores. We are generally not Sunday shoppers but we were yesterday. Deals for the shopping list were yesterday. Got $.82 per gallon of gas off for what we purchased so now we have almost $3.00 per gallon off. Gas pricing at the 3 Verona stations are for regular unleaded $3.89, $3.94 and $3.99 per gallon and 2 of the 3 stations take the HYVee gas discount. Problem is none of the cars need any gas.

Terry and her friend are out riding the horses who really were thrilled yesterday to see Terry after being gone over 2 weeks. Dinner tonight on the deck I was told. The son and step-cousin, Terry’s friend and her deceased hubby‘s cousin who was more like a brother, my 2 shadows from last weekend’s Urgent Care adventure and their wife’s who also were with Terry in Hawaii. The coach’s so who is our son’s age and a guest. I am sure as always Terry will pick up a couple more folks to join us. The emails said no politics and no stock market talk. The menu is pork chops, grilled potatoes and an assortment of veggies fresh from Terry’s garden. The son and coach’s son are handling the grills. The prep started last night around 8!

The son in law texted me last night asking that I check on his vineyard. The vines are watered automatically but have not notified him they worked Saturday or Sunday morning. Without any rain since Friday they should have kicked in. So I have that today. The bank of the parents opens around noon today and the son and his zoom in sister will make the case to mom and me why we should finance but not invest in their air taxi adventure.

I put 3 weathered freight cars for sale in the Sales forum

enjoy the dayView attachment 148871
Tom- is that Rib Mountain in the backdrop?

Gas prices around here have been going down. The "high" for unleaded regular reached about $5.29 at most stations. Then it dropped to $5.13 for a week and then to $5.04 for a day or three and then on Saturday was $4.93 (Murphy was $4.91 -- usually a few pennies cheaper than the average). I'd die to get some of the "cheap" prices some of you are mentioning. While my car is a PHEV and most of my driving is in EV mode, with cheap electricity -- I only slip into gasoline mode on some trips and then just the last bit to get home. Only once a week do I have a longer trip that is mostly gas mode (abut 85 miles round trip). However, the wife's car and the son's car are gasoline and put on a fair amount of miles. I hate filling them up and spending $45 for the son's Fit to $60-$65 for the wife's Jetta when it is on empty.
$4.29-$4.35 here in North Central WI.

I post here in the sales forums.

I post on Facebook at:

HO scale Shelf Modelers shop
Weathered trains Only Buy and Sell
Ditch light Era HO Model Railroading
HO Scale Premium Quality Display and Sale

I post under my name Tom OConnell

I was posting at 8 other FB sites and a couple places at group.io

I have found 3 of the above sites are where 75% of my sales came from over the last 4 years. So I have dropped the others and added the Shelf Modelers Shop. My wife loves analytics so the 75% is an accurate number
View attachment 148912
More sales coming next week
Thanks! If the MT&W doesn't sell let me know! I like the Conrail one too....

Welcome to my world, LOUIS

Baseball game tomorrow - you gonna watch - or be there?
I'll be watching, well probably watching a replay the next day. I go to bed by 6:30pm.
I love watching games from Dodger Stadium!
The all star game has and still is very special to me. I can remember as a kid running home to watch the game with the man who raised me. We watched on a 19" black and white TV.
In those days there might have been as many as a half dozen or so Orioles on the American league team.
For the first 35 years of the Orioles in Baltimore they had the best record in all of baseball.

I have not seen a MLB game in over 20 years. I can't walk far enough to make if from the parking lot to the seats.

Now I will see it on my 75" Samsung TV my son gave me a few Christmases ago. With all the angles and replays I like it better than being there.

Morning all,

Too hot this morning, so a big glass of iced tea this morning...Thanks Flo!

106° with heat index to 112° later today. Been a few years since we last had this many 100+ degree days.

Gas down another dime...after I filled yesterday morning...that's why I know I'll never win the lottery. I don't play always or often, but the wife won a gift to a local convenience store from work, so that's what we're paying with.

Found an estate sale happening next week that is advertising train stuff. 3 pictures of blue box and other building kits. First one in 10 years...and I'm off part of next week.

Happy belated anniversary Troy and Mrs. Troy.

Good morning all! 65 degrees with 100% humidity heading for 88. The hot weather is creeping back in a little at a time. Supposed to start being "very" hot again soon. With the high humidity, 88 seems very hot so I'm just thrilled for it to get worse ;-)

Since our garden isn't doing well, my wife stopped and bought some fresh produce from others yesterday. She bought 10 dozen ears of corn along with a bunch of cucumbers. She enlisted the step-son and two grandkids to help shuck the corn. She got all the corn ready to freeze before the end of the day and is planning to make pickles with a lot of the cucumbers and can them. No idea why our garden just isn't doing anything much this year. I feel like we've done a fairly good job of keeping up with the weeds and watering. Just a weird year.

Nothing much else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning gang!

73° and sunny, looking for a high of 91°. Not so bad considering what some of you are getting weatherwise. I understand we're gonna get it soon enough. Everyone, stay cool and hydrate!

It is primary election day here so there is that to deal with later, frankly I am more concerned with the county school board elections that with the state level posts. Our school board is the biggest assembly of racist uniformed homophobic clowns that I have ever seen, save 1 person. Then for a real cranial exercise we have puppy training tonight also.

L8ter!

Good morning all,

Woke up to 75° which is our warmest overnight this summer. Headed for 95 then cooler tomorrow. The AC will be on all day, I expect.

Apple vs Samsung: I have one of each. Love the "close all" button on Samsung. I guess Apple has way more bells and whistles (like lots of sounds for notifications)("there is an app for that"). Samsung is the one I carry around. Correct about it is a bit of a brain twist to go back and forth, no other way to explain it. Sucks about big corporate with record profits and homelessness at record levels as well.

First run video of new layout, train runs over the lift out section without barely a hitch - check it out:

I got the shelves done and placed in the train room, also run the little switcher around both inner loop and outer loop.

IMG_2371 resize.JPG

Feels good to do the major cleanup. The organizer was definitely a brain storm and works perfect to hold those small things then easy to take the drawer out and place on the desk when working on that project.

Also took this movie of one loop around the track, looks like I have to put it on youtube then add a link?

Havent done the movie in a long time.

Back later, Dave LASM

Last edited:
Good Morning All. It's now 83° and clear, expecting 111° today. Yesterday's high officially broke a record at 108.5°, today's record is 108° so we may break that one as well. Clouds moving in tomorrow night so cooling off on Thursday with an expected high of just 101°.
1658232136347.png

However with the longer nights, the pool cooled down to 87° this morning!:)

The heat isn't affecting the garden much just yet. I am keeping it watered and those nights about two weeks ago when the temperature dipped into the upper 60's allowed many more tomato blossoms to pollinate. I presently have about 55 lbs of tomatoes in varying stages of ripeness waiting for processing or eating. I am going to try freezing some Yellow Squash today. It's something that I never tried before but I have too much this year. In addition to making 6 more pints of tomato sauce yesterday, I chopped and froze two quart Ziplocs of bell peppers.

This is not meant to be political: I see that the politicians in Washington DC are beginning to realize the issues that they have been putting us Texans and other border states through for the past year and a half. They're complaining about 4,000 illegal immigrants that showed up in the past six weeks, we're getting 6,000 a day in Texas.

Thanks to all who commented or liked my progress report from yesterday; Smudge, Tom O, Troy, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Hughie, Karl, Louis, Tom, Curt, OB Ken, Joe, Mikey, Rick, Gary, Dave B.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I tackled some of the loose and unorganized dangling wiring under the upper deck.
IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

I attached the two unattached feeders and I am temporarily using tape to affix them in place because I ran out of staples!:(
IMG_1330.JPG

I also added the missing new roadway.
IMG_1331.JPG

The fire station headquarters that normally resides on the blank corner in the upper center, is over on the workbench being cleaned and having the already installed lights hooked up to a proper feeder.

Guy - Good luck with the fishing expedition.
Tom O - My Roma tomatoes are the only variety that hasn't done well this year. I am not sure why? However quite by accident, I discovered the Juliette variety which while smaller than Romas, is much easier to process into tomato products.
The boxcars look real nice but are a little pricey for me. I already have too many freight cars anyway.
Curt - Good news about the truck.
Troy - Food looked really good.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Crew from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. It was 71f degrees at the wake up call of 5AM. It is 75 now and heading up to 90. Thankfully there is a nice breeze and in the shade it feels great. I went riding with the wife and her friend this morning, a quick shower and a few laps in the pool. I am ready for this day! I have not felt this good in months.

Some work done a neglected part of the layout yesterday. The transload area was added in 2015 and became a gathering places for different things. Hopefully over the next few weeks it will be completed. Started off by removing everything from the area. The Transload spot sits at an area where the shelf expands from 10” wide to 24”. The transload’s facility track is 50” long.
CC9DCF92-E264-457D-8080-D152AEC7866F.jpeg
F06481B0-695C-409A-912F-4D1B3CD689FD.jpeg
86C04AD7-F91A-4A37-A652-738CE7EC7293.jpeg
C62B534F-9A7D-41B0-BBA2-93E7E36E627F.jpeg
0DA36EFC-1F02-4675-A53B-4E9D10C862CF.jpeg
FE1906E3-F802-4072-8C6E-A54ABF61EBE0.jpeg
B4F744A1-D36D-4CD2-9534-D130DDF8CE31.jpeg
4FE32FFD-5F16-41D2-93CC-6A0F6DFBC6A1.jpeg

That blue flat building is just a stand in for the Biomass plant that serves the paper mill. Thanks to foam board still cheap at $1.50 from the dollar store every few months I seem to try something different.

The folk lift and its driver are creating this newly found energy to complete this area. Gabriel the driver, aka Gabby was laid of from the Paper Mill during Covid and his unemployment ends Monday 7/25. WILLIE, you may be seeing an influx of unclothed Wisconsinites to your train shed. Giving Gabby new clothes ended up being done under the magnifying lamp. That is a first for me. If I can find him he will get another coat of clothes today. I was on a zoom meeting before dinner at my paint bench and stupidity playing with the tweezer he was attached to. I will get on my hands and knees today to locate him. I have no idea what direction he flew off in.

Enjoy your day

Next

Welp... after babying the foot yesterday, I broke out the Birkenstock sandals. They have just the right support in exactly the right places for my feet.

I'll be taking it easy this week, and skipping all walking except for minor shopping excursions

birkenstocks.jpg

Book is off to the editor (she takes about two weeks), so I'll be writing my exploratory short story set in the little Canadian town of Erie falls... Been watching Letterkenny clips on youtube to get a feel for the Canadian slang. Their accent and speech patterns (especially when you hear the main actor interviewed as himself) sounds very similar to what I think of as a Yupper into N-Wisconsin/Minn dialect. Not sure what any of the natives think??? I don't travel those regions enough to understand the nuances.

Paying the price for the good food yesterday with a morning of fasting, then a salad for lunch. Need to work on dropping some of the celebratory weight gain from three weeks of special days.

DAVE: to post a vid, get the link from youtube, then here on the forum, look two icons to the right of the ADD IMAGES icon. That's the media one. Put the link in the field, and your video will preview on the page.

Good Morning All. It's now 83° and clear, expecting 111° today. Yesterday's high officially broke a record at 108.5°, today's record is 108° so we may break that one as well. Clouds moving in tomorrow night so cooling off on Thursday with an expected high of just 101°.
View attachment 148913
However with the longer nights, the pool cooled down to 87° this morning!:)

The heat isn't affecting the garden much just yet. I am keeping it watered and those nights about two weeks ago when the temperature dipped into the upper 60's allowed many more tomato blossoms to pollinate. I presently have about 55 lbs of tomatoes in varying stages of ripeness waiting for processing or eating. I am going to try freezing some Yellow Squash today. It's something that I never tried before but I have too much this year. In addition to making 6 more pints of tomato sauce yesterday, I chopped and froze two quart Ziplocs of bell peppers.

This is not meant to be political: I see that the politicians in Washington DC are beginning to realize the issues that they have been putting us Texans and other border states through for the past year and a half. They're complaining about 4,000 illegal immigrants that showed up in the past six weeks, we're getting 6,000 a day in Texas.

Thanks to all who commented or liked my progress report from yesterday; Smudge, Tom O, Troy, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Hughie, Karl, Louis, Tom, Curt, OB Ken, Joe, Mikey, Rick, Gary, Dave B.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I tackled some of the loose and unorganized dangling wiring under the upper deck.
View attachment 148914
View attachment 148915
I attached the two unattached feeders and I am temporarily using tape to affix them in place because I ran out of staples!:(
View attachment 148916
I also added the missing new roadway.
View attachment 148917
The fire station headquarters that normally resides on the blank corner in the upper center, is over on the workbench being cleaned and having the already installed lights hooked up to a proper feeder.

Guy - Good luck with the fishing expedition.
Tom O - My Roma tomatoes are the only variety that hasn't done well this year. I am not sure why? However quite by accident, I discovered the Juliette variety which while smaller than Romas, is much easier to process into tomato products.
The boxcars look real nice but are a little pricey for me. I already have too many freight cars anyway.
Curt - Good news about the truck.
Troy - Food looked really good.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a great day.
Thanks for looking at the freight cars. I thought I’d try to sell them as 1 lot as that seems to be a trend lately at the sites I sell. It is not working for me. All my sell prices include shipping.

Too bad on your Roma tomatoes but it sounds like you definitely don’t need them this season. Do you think moving your garden this year is helping the harvest?

Terry was picking snap peas, snow peas and green beans last night with the dinner guests. She will be cleaning and freezing many pounds today. She grows peas that use 6’ trellis that I built that she can easily pick them from.

Good morning all,

Steve J here, and man, y'all write a bunch. Miss a couple of days and I feel like I am reading for a post-grad philosophy class!

Where to start? Sunday was nice. We had an outdoor worship service and "Blessing of the Animals." Not in the strictest of Lutheran traditions, but remember I was Episcopalian until well into my adult life. Wife and daugther spent the day together Saturday and then she stayed the night so as to go with us to church in the morning so that her guide dog could be blessed. was a nice service, if I do say so myself. Had planned to go for a bike ride that afternoon, but quite warm and humid here, so we worked on projects in the finished basement all afternoon. Meaning - - I got some layout time in while she worked on knitting!! Added some more unpowered Caboose ground throws. Finished the install of the one frog powered throw. And did some painting. I had almost forgotten how enjoyable painting is!

Not finished, but here is progress so far:
20220719_092516.jpg

Thinking white for the handrails. Touch up the aluminum roof of the operators cabin, some more grime for the tracks and then something for that tower thingy (not shown). Whatever was that for anyways?

Yesterday was a day off for the wife so we could get some bigger jobs done. First we tackled the yard and gardens for mowing and weeding. Then a cold barley-pop and lunch. Next was to get her office/spare bedroom decluttered. She is in line for a promotion which could have her working from home much more, so she wanted her space prepped. We took five boxes of mostly clothes the Wash DC kids left behind to the Post office for mailing (that was far too close to $300!). Then general cleaning and organizing. Trip to Home Despot for lights and sundries. Then I installed a new room overhead light (LED and adjustable) as well as a LED shop light we bought a year ago for over her sewing table. A true multi-purpose room.

Finished about 1730 so was perfect timing for a celebratory whisky! Then cooked burgers and watched TV. Was too pooped to pop and fell asleep reading (after only about ten minutes) about 2145. Burger and fries were too heavy on the tum-tum, so awoke about 0030 and read downstairs until 0300.

Still didn't sleep well and neither did wifey. Her alarm was set for 0530. She got up; I did not.

9-hole golf later with the VFW and then work. Evening meeting tonight and tomorrow, so little layout time in store until Thursday.

Cheers to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back