Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon modelers and gas tax reviewers of the world. After hitting a high of 90f degrees about 60 minutes ago Wisconsin seems to be cooling off. It’s 88 now!

I think Terry and I surprised our 2 children with a ton of questions and what ifs in what they thought would be a quick easy meeting. That was after they 1st surprised us with the amount they asked for. When the son said you guys are asking more questions then the bank, Cirrus Financial and Uncle Dan did combined. Terry told them to go back to them for a better deal if they can get one if they have an issue with our questions. She was hot and pissed, usually my role in financial things. I did explain to them what they were asking for was twice what we had projected they might ask for and eats into our personal financial safety cushion. When they both replied that the collateral was there to back everything. I asked what are we going to do with 3 planes or will they add their houses as collateral. Interesting to see how 2 millennials look at financial transactions versus the Baby Boomers we generally have dealt with. It was interesting and Terry is doing a deep dive right now with her office door closed and the son is fretting. I ended the meeting by telling them that with what they are personally putting into this business cash wise they would earn more then enough interest to live on. I know what is going to happen. We will say yes if Terry is installed as company treasurer and sits on their board. We want to watch the books. Can’t wait tipi hear their counter. Should be an interesting couple days as she looks into things to be able to help them out. The bank of mom and dad provide much better rates then real places!

I am torn. I am selling 3 duplicate freight cars as 1 lot. I made that clear in the for sale postings. I have individual offers on 2 of the 3 cars. Both offers for more then I had thought of posting if sold separately plus now postage. Goofy to me! But I seriously am considering it.

Their (European) price is mostly tax. Their base material price shouldn't be that much different. Crude is an international market. Depending on regulatory costs, labor costs, etc. their refined product price could vary from the US since their refiners work under different regulations and labor markets. But that doesn't make up the biggest difference. But the tax does explain the difference.

They have a gas tax and also pay VAT at the sale and their VAT is much higher than US sales taxes (20% plus or minus a few percent depending on country IIRC).

This is a little dated (from 2020) but it talks about the tax on fuel in Europe

Really doesn't matter what is causing the higher price. The rational is: why should we have lower gas prices?

get a German Shepherd or a Rottweiler or a Dobby and walk down the same side walk. Your tormentors will move over then.
I personally recommend a female Doberman, they are family loyal,tolerant of annoying kids, I have had 5 dobbies and 4 females all ex cellent, male was a. Rescue unknown history and bit son, kept him but kids not allowed near him. Girls are perfect, train them young, make sure they pay attention to you. Short haired, so not lots of fur, Rottweilers have a tendency to be biters, even their own owners. Not my favourite dog. Alsatian / German shepherds can have hip problems, mold fur, although temperament as I understand is good.
Soft, protective, does not jump the gun, but if I was ever nervous she was on full alert, and bared teeth,raised hackles,and a check on mum to see if she thought we should attack, never bit anyone, made a few pretty nervous.

Attachments

• 606A4357-A320-4C63-AB0B-D0CEEEE91EEB.jpeg
    606A4357-A320-4C63-AB0B-D0CEEEE91EEB.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 459E91D5-4652-4533-B311-6CA6B94BBD7B.jpeg
    459E91D5-4652-4533-B311-6CA6B94BBD7B.jpeg
    874 KB · Views: 42
I suspect the tax rates on petrol in the UK account for much of the price difference.

Someone has to pay for all that marmalade she's got stashed in her purse for any wandering bear who ventures in looking to be PM.

Without Government subsidies, the average gas price in the US would be $12.75 per gallon.

Add on 20% VAT to the list below.

Fuel Duty rates​

The rate you pay depends on the type of fuel.

Type of fuelRate
Petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol52.95 pence per litre
Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)28.88 pence per kg
Natural gas used as fuel in vehicles, for example biogas22.57 pence per kg
‘Fuel oil’ burned in a furnace or used for heating9.78 pence per litre

Last edited:
Good afternoon modelers and gas tax reviewers of the world. After hitting a high of 90f degrees about 60 minutes ago Wisconsin seems to be cooling off. It’s 88 now!

I think Terry and I surprised our 2 children with a ton of questions and what ifs in what they thought would be a quick easy meeting. That was after they 1st surprised us with the amount they asked for. When the son said you guys are asking more questions then the bank, Cirrus Financial and Uncle Dan did combined. Terry told them to go back to them for a better deal if they can get one if they have an issue with our questions. She was hot and pissed, usually my role in financial things. I did explain to them what they were asking for was twice what we had projected they might ask for and eats into our personal financial safety cushion. When they both replied that the collateral was there to back everything. I asked what are we going to do with 3 planes or will they add their houses as collateral. Interesting to see how 2 millennials look at financial transactions versus the Baby Boomers we generally have dealt with. It was interesting and Terry is doing a deep dive right now with her office door closed and the son is fretting. I ended the meeting by telling them that with what they are personally putting into this business cash wise they would earn more then enough interest to live on. I know what is going to happen. We will say yes if Terry is installed as company treasurer and sits on their board. We want to watch the books. Can’t wait tipi hear their counter. Should be an interesting couple days as she looks into things to be able to help them out. The bank of mom and dad provide much better rates then real places!

I am torn. I am selling 3 duplicate freight cars as 1 lot. I made that clear in the for sale postings. I have individual offers on 2 of the 3 cars. Both offers for more then I had thought of posting if sold separately plus now postage. Goofy to me! But I seriously am considering it.
Good luck with the negotiations with your kids.

If you getting more than you thought selling the freight cars separately, what are you waiting for?

Thank you. Sadly what I expected already happened. My wife started trying to make plans with the "mother" for the visit when the "mother" decided it was going to be a paid visit, as in we better bring cash to make the visit happen. We're not going to do that so the visit is off now. Not that down about it because I already expected she'd pull something to keep us from coming. Hard to believe this person works for family services yet has no ability to see the harm she's doing.
Sympathies, unfortunately she likely knows how to play the system, and has you over a barrel, I agree with you to not fall into it, eventually the child will be able to choose for herself, hopefully that will give a better outcome, I don’t see my eldest sons two kids so I sympathise. Presents we sent were not sent to the home, and when we realised we were not being credited with supplying them we stopped. I too hope in time to see my grandkids.
Sympathies for you, and the wife, I know my husband does his best to not be effected, as do I, we can’t change it. apparently my daughter in law had a bad time with her family (what I heard I sympathise with her parents) but he apparently wanted to ‘touch her’ so lied about us, and won’t admit what he said, and does not want us to have the opportunity to call him on it, so no win. Is what it is. :( I rarely think on it, no point.

You need to keep your eye on it, good for her.
Ensure that any cheques over a certain size need her counter signature, end of.

Good luck with the negotiations with your kids.

If you getting more than you thought selling the freight cars separately, what are you waiting for?
I am in brain freeze right now, due to the kids.

More for 2 of the cars then what I would have listed at individual prices. I really want all 3 to go as I am purging the fleet. I thought I offered at a great enough price to have all 3 go in one lot. My fault for even engaging by saying if they (the 3) didn't sell by noon Tuesday I would accept the single offers.

But, I now am waiting for a PayPal payment for all 3.

Next up are gondolas and pulp cars.

You need to keep your eye on it, good for her.
Ensure that any cheques over a certain size need her counter signature, end of.
Jaz, this is something we have done a few times before, just not anywhere near this big or with family. Even with our own kids when it comes to our money we want to make sure things are done right. I can handle taking over a restaurant but not 3 planes.

No need for Terry to counter sign any checks. We will not interfere with daily business, just oversee the books.

I am in brain freeze right now, due to the kids.

More for 2 of the cars then what I would have listed at individual prices. I really want all 3 to go as I am purging the fleet. I thought I offered at a great enough price to have all 3 go in one lot. My fault for even engaging by saying if they (the 3) didn't sell by noon Tuesday I would accept the single offers.

But, I now am waiting for a PayPal payment for all 3.

Next up are gondolas and pulp cars.
Where are you posting these cars? I may be of interest in them as well......

Thanks to everyone for the anniversary wishes. We drove to the neighborhood upscale pub/restaurant I got the brisket, wife got the tenderloin

In the midwest, the Tenderloin sandwich is an art form unto itself. We take a pork tenderloin slice, pound it flatter than flat, so it's about the same size as a hat's brim, bread it, deep fry it, then put a little bun on it, like a beanie cap 15 sizes too small.

Wife said this one was smaller than the better ones, but still good.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 6.56.58 PM.png

And my brisket:
Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 6.56.47 PM.png

We also got ice cream from Culvers (no cheese curds, tho)

Where are you posting these cars? I may be of interest in them as well......
I post here in the sales forums.

I post on Facebook at:

HO scale Shelf Modelers shop
Weathered trains Only Buy and Sell
Ditch light Era HO Model Railroading
HO Scale Premium Quality Display and Sale

I post under my name Tom OConnell

I was posting at 8 other FB sites and a couple places at group.io

I have found 3 of the above sites are where 75% of my sales came from over the last 4 years. So I have dropped the others and added the Shelf Modelers Shop. My wife loves analytics so the 75% is an accurate number
A012784F-4CDC-411A-BEAA-D874E32A9BA3.jpeg

More sales coming next week

Thanks to everyone for the anniversary wishes. We drove to the neighborhood upscale pub/restaurant I got the brisket, wife got the tenderloin

In the midwest, the Tenderloin sandwich is an art form unto itself. We take a pork tenderloin slice, pound it flatter than flat, so it's about the same size as a hat's brim, bread it, deep fry it, then put a little bun on it, like a beanie cap 15 sizes too small.

Wife said this one was smaller than the better ones, but still good.

View attachment 148909

And my brisket:
View attachment 148910

We also got ice cream from Culvers (no cheese curds, tho)
Late Happy Anniversary

I grew up in Chicago till college in 1970 and went to school in Milwaukee and then stayed in Wisconsin. I have never seen a pork tenderloin sandwich like that. I am going into the freezer take out a pork tenderloin and make that Tuesday for dinner.

That ice cream you had at Culvers was actually frozen custard as a FYI. No matter it tastes great. The concrete mixers IMO are the best but destroy my blood glucose numbers for a couple days!

I've mentioned before, if you initially began using a phone with Android OS, the transition to Apple will be excruciating, and the opposite is true, as well. I've tried to move away from Apple, for several reasons, but Android has turned into an exercise in frustration, no matter how hard I wanted it to happen.
Terry- I have the same frustration with the tablet that we use to watch late night ballgames(9ish CT start). I've been using iOS products for a decade now. Started with the first gen iPod Touch & then switched to iPhone after I moved to WI(same time as iPhone became available with VZW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back