Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of OPCs referred to as "Condensed Tannins." Grape seed, ground cinnamon and Sorghum meal are all high in OPC. There are lots of others too, but I've heard those are the "big three" food based sources and also a certain type of pine bark that is native to the Mediterranean area.

I've heard of OPCs referred to as "Condensed Tannins." Grape seed, ground cinnamon and Sorghum meal are all high in OPC. There are lots of others too, but I've heard those are the "big three" food based sources and also a certain type of pine bark that is native to the Mediterranean area.

The pine bark is the pycnogenol I mentioned (I may have mispelled it earlier). Also called French Maritime Pine bark.

the OPC-3 product I take is isotonically capable (meaning it is liquid of similar density and Ph to your body which helps with absorption) and is composed of 3 sources of OPCs -- the pine bark, grape seed, and grape skin/fruit.

Pycnogenol was "discovered", I believe it was, in the 1950s when someone found an account of some stranded French explorers from hundreds of years ago who had to over-winter in the St Laurence seaway/gulf area of Canada and were about to die of malnutrition and scurvy in middle of winter -- being stranded and running out of supplies. Some friendly neighborhood Indians took them and showed them how to brew a "tea" using pine needles or bark, I don't remember which, and which cured them of their scurvy and they all made it. When this report was found after the war it set off research which honed in on the French Maritime Pine being the best source. That is the story as I remember it but most likely it can be looked up online in case I missed on the details.

Greetings all,

Golf today - was fun. In order to lose weight, cutting way back on the alcohol. So the beer I had with the burger post-golf really made me sleepy. Naps upon arrival home - didn't even change out of the kilt!

Lazy evening and all. All your talk re the LBP - - - pretty sure momma is 'in the mood.' Should be a fun night!

CHores about the homestead tomorrow, and then a community festival event at the church all afternoon. Will be pooped when that is over.

Played a new course today, Rum River Hills just about due north of me. Fun. Had some real strategy holes, which I like. Driver-iron-chip/putt gets kind of monotonous at times. Nice to have to think your opening shot. I had one beauty. Shortish par 4 with a goodly bend to the left. Other guys hit mid-irons at the 150 yard marker. WOrked well for them. Me? Thinking I can bend it with an intentional draw. Worked perfect! Hit down the middle and then bent left. Ended up middle of the fairway 115 yards to the center with the other guys all back of me about 30 yards. But of course, I hit the approach long and still went down in 5! But a fun hole.

One double bogey I credit to my caddy, meaning the guy I was riding with who had played the course many times. A blind 2d shot, he gave me the line and said I was good for 180 yards. Which I hit. Splishy-splashy - - - argh! Nice ball, too. Oh well. Exploded on a few holes, so a 98 was a good score on a brand new course. I'd play it again, especially as the senior/vet rate was only $31 with cart!

ENjoy the weekend!

Red ones tend to have Lycopene (Tomatoes for sure) which is another strong antioxidant. Also good for you. Supposedly one of those "good for prostate" type things. Not sure how well studied it is. I take a Lycopene supplement as well.

Most of the red things have it to a certain extent. Not sure about the cabbage but probably. Though isn't red cabbage more purple?

Even if I pass/pee out 95% of my supplements, the other 5% is better than 0% is how I look at it, and some of these like pycogenol and OPC have been studied to a certain degree with positive results.
Yes sir, a very good head of red cabbage should be purple. Not sure why they call it red. I love cabbage of any kind.
I like to make my own sauerkraut. I read that unpasteurized sauerkraut is loaded with good bacteria. I don't know, but it is good!

I read Tom Brady does not eat tomatoes for some health reason. I can't imagine why and I would have a hard time giving up tomatoes.

I drink a lot of coffee, 10-14 cups a day. I read coffee also has lots antioxidants as well.

Good afternoon to all of my fellow Lasix users. 83° degrees at the Jersey Shore, down from 88° degrees earlier. I was out earlier, and I can attest that the sun was hot. Forecast is for rain, tonight and tomorrow. That might delay my completing April's chores...Yeah, I'm that far behind.

Tuesday, I think, I watched that marathon baseball game, between Texas and the Orioles. Seemed like no one could hold a lead. Since then, I have been working on household projects. Last Night I watched the NHL Draft. Anyone notice how pissed Shane Wright was when Montreal took the Slovak kid first overall. He wasn't too pleased that he couldn't walk to the stage until pick 4 over all. (Seattle). The Devils filled a major need, taking another Slovak 2nd over all. Right Handed Defensemen are at a premium. The Capitals, with a late pick, took a Russian Kid.

Today, was grocery day. We have somewhat adjusted to bringing my own bags for groceries...Then we went to pet smart and picked up doggie poop bags, to use when cleaning kitty's litter box. The unintended consequences of banning plastic bags. :mad::rolleyes:

Maybe tomorrow, I'll return to the train room, and make some progress there, considering the weather forecast.

Troy: Belated Happy Birthday.

That was an interesting discussion about Lasix, Blue and other Pills.

SA-31 cuts away from C&D traffic at Red Bank, (NJ),  Yard. 7_5_22.jpg

SA-31 on 7/5/22 cutting away from C&D engine, and cars at the South End of Red Bank Yard.
Chesapeakeand Delawarepower at Jamesburg 7-1-2022.jpeg

7/5/22 - C&D power and shoving platform, (Cabin Car), on the West Leg of the Wye at Jamesburg, NJ. This engine and cab, will handle traffic for the Freehold Secondary. Jamesburg will be the C&D's primary interchange point and base of operations.

Afternoon all,

Ran some quick errands after work picking up a couple of "scripts" after work and picked up a couple of things at Wally world. Got home and had to order a 3rd script with no refills. Next business day, so 2 hours later wife gets a text that her script is ready. Went back to the pharmacy to get it. 3 hours after I ordered thinking it would be Monday.

Didn't mow as it was already 93° and humidity was about walking through the lake high. Hopefully I can get it early enough in the morning as I have to get the oil changed in the Equinox at 11 tomorrow. Fortunately wife could get her hair cut this afternoon, which reduces the errands we needed to run tomorrow. Still have a hallmark ornament run to make, so time will be tight.

Shingrex - I'm not an expert, I was all set to get the shingles vax in December 2020. The wife had to as a condition of using Rinvoq for her RA. Rinvoq works well, but suppresses immunity. Shortly after her second dose, she reacted with what could be describes as a body rash, that vaguely resembled chicken pox. It made her very uncomfortable, and it hurt. I decided at that point, that I would take my chances...a decision I might regret...but I have no clue how it would react with my bronco dilator.
I have submitted to pneumonia shots (2 types), annual flu shots, all the stuff the Army injected into my system, and covid (2 and 2), so I'm not anti-VAX. I'm just not comfortable with Shingrex.

Alcohol:
Back in the day, I could put it away, but now, I only buy beer during the summer months, usually I max out at 4 12 Packs. Hard Liquor, Maybe two 1.5 Liter bottles of Jack, a year. We use a Fifth of Brandy for Christmas baking and medicinal purposes over the course of a year. Not a big factor any longer.

Baseball is back to normal...Mets, Orioles and nationals all losing as I write this, no score in the Phillies game.

The Jays seem to be losing on occasion as well, I think

As for today, I suspect I will go strawberry picking, farmers market, then lunch at Halls Harbour for a nice lobster roll.

View attachment 148369
Nice pic of the harbor. I miss being able to look at the ocean. Too bad someone put their dinner in front of all those boats. ;)

Almost wants to make me move to NS.

I'm not one for seafood, though.

Here are some pics of my happy place out in smoggy Los Angeles:

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.25.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.23.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.23.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.24.39 AM.png

Above is the same happy bay, just a different side of the pier

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.25.19 AM.png

Above: Had to get the food in before I sat at the railing. Cin Roll was too gooey to eat with fingers from a lawn chair.

Next: guess who this is?

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 7.29.55 AM.png

And your friendly tour guide/history docent, hanging out with the Real Life Gidget! (Kathy Kohner) who's father wrote the semi-fictional book based on his teenage daughter's exploits as one of the earliest female surfers in that bay. "Gidget" was her surfer nickname. Based of her being shorter than the guys, and some girls G(irl)(m)idget = Gidget. While not considered a polite term now, "midget" was in common use in 1957 when the book was written, and a few years later when the TV show was produced.

She can still surf better than I can.

Good morning I think from So. Central Wisconsin. Last night around 11 I all of a sudden found myself in the cave in my favorite spot shivering under a blanket. Took a Covid test (negative). My temperature was at 101.6 which is very high for me, took 2 Ibuprofen and shivered in bed for maybe 30-40 minutes and then slept. Up at 5 boiling and sweating, changed shirts, a sip of water and then it was 5:39 and I remember nothing again till 8:09 when I got up with a headache and a urge to go. Now I am on the north deck feeling pretty decent but with a temperature of 99.4 which is still high for me. Generally at the medical appointments my normal temp is around 97. No clue what brought this on but the uncontrollable shivering shook me up last night, especially being home alone.

The plans for today are now, no plans. I think I will stay around the house. No use tempting fate!

Good Morning!

Another storm cell passed through here at supper yesterday. It presented another fine light show and thunderous noise, along with pounding us with a summers worth of rain. It's the wettest summer in memory.

TomO - I hope you're going to go get checked out by a doctor. Dosen't sound like you had a good evening, and sounds like cause for concern. Be safe, and take good care of yourself.

Personally, I'm going to be modelling some today. That is, in-between doing some chores. I have a 'get-things-done' wife, and I like to keep her happy.
Thought I'd prime paint more small parts for the oil dealership, and make a containment berm around the oil tanks on the layout. I'm thinking a bead of paintable caulking might form a nice berm.
It will be too repetitive and boring if I share photos of the dealership at this point, so I'll share more photos when it's nearly done.

For now, I'll share a photo of the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker nest I've been photographing on our dog walks. So called the Yellow-bellied due to the yellowish tinge on the breast plate. - This is the only totally migratory woodpecker we have in this area. So in my opinion, it's the only smart one.
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker_07-08-2022 (1).JPG
I like taking photos of birds, but, it's hard to hold the camera steady in telephoto mode. I should use a tripod, but, carrying it is an annoyance.

That's all I have for today. Have a great one.

TomO - Please get checked out. I'd hate for something to get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back