Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHAD - When I read this, I spit my coffee out my nose, but it's true!

Yesterday, I had to make a run to the Kaiser Pharmacy because I left the Dr office without filling a "new" prescription .. dumb? Anyway, called the wife and said how bout I grab a sandwich on way home? She said, "anything would be nice".
Now as ARBY'S is on the other side of town from us and we hardly ever go there - I had saw a new hamburger they had and wanted to try it. -- frickin thing was $9.00 - but have to say that it was worth it.

As you may have prob read this far - the bun was fantastic and is what really set off the burger which had almose 1/2 inch of meat - not greasy but good meat - with all sort of garnish. Also picked up a Reuben for the Spouse - but we each shared.
All good!
Thanks for listening ..... I am still several pages behind for the week!
Ya, Mickey'D is crap. Well, unless you need cleaned out then the fry's are the best. I did notice a couple weeks ago the McD in Ohio we stopped at did not have those supposed super burgers anymore. Needed something and it happened to be where our fuel stop was so....
Arby's is getting better and better and it always seems to work although we do get tired of roast beef. Wendy's is usually good with soft buns and such. Carl's Jr ( Hardy's East of Mississippi ) are almost always good. Maybe the East/West is backwards. Sometimes the buns are old, but the chicken strips always work. Iron Skillet ( Petro ) and Country Kitchen ( TA ) are pretty much crap. They need to get somebody in that can plan new recipes instead of the same old same old.

I see a future where we harness solar power to use electrolysis to separate water into H and O2 gasses. Hydrogen is captured for fuel, O2 is captured as the oxidizer. The 2 are then used in a hydrogen burning motor, where the bi-product is water vapor. I figure why burn "local" O2... This would create water "locally" without necessarily consuming any O2 from the "local" environment.

But.. I'm sure there are many things about that vision are unrealistic. But I would think we could come up with a "passive" electrolysis method where all you would need to do is pour a water source into a "Mr. Electrolysis" machine in your garage. Wake up the next day with a fully charged hydrogen fuel cell. You have a combination of solar panels, a windmill or even a small nearby stream turning water wheel, to to produce the electricity to split the water molecules.

If a windmill can run a pond aerator, it should have plenty of power to split water molecules.

My neighbor is a genius scientist with a patented process of creating nano particles that is about 10x less expensive than the industry norm. Yes, they get a lot of business :). They also explore all sorts of new ways to use nano particles. One thing they were testing was with fuel cells and also with hydrogen electrolysis for creating fuel for hydrogen cars. Pour water in the tank and run. They were able to greatly increase the efficiency of the process though it was still inefficient. But it got efficient enough that it was worth further development. I'll have to ask him what happened to that research. This was a couple years ago he was telling me about it.

(They also used nano particles in geothermal systems [heat pump with water water in ground system] and increased the efficiency there a good amount too. Also coated bullets in particles and eliminated the sonic crack of super sonic bullets. And created a covid medicine that the FDA doesn't know what to do with since it blows by all their tests with 0 side effects etc -- FDA can't believe the test results as it goes against what they expect from normal medicines).

So you go out and by a $60K Tesla knowing the battery will be kaput in 5 to 10 years.

Not so much kaputt, but less storage. My about 6 year old battery in my Audi PHEV is about 85% of original I think. (And not that expensive to replace as it is only around 8 or 9 kwh). Good thing about a PHEV is that it has an ICE engine for when the battery is not charged so even if I am only getting 50% out of the battery, I can still get use of it and the car still works fine...

-----

Speaking of Hydrogen engines. Cummins just announced a new heavy duty 15l engine for big trucks that runs on Hydrogen, Supposedly equal to a diesel and can refuel in 15 min. Full production expected in 2027.

Ya, Mickey'D is crap. Well, unless you need cleaned out then the fry's are the best. I did notice a couple weeks ago the McD in Ohio we stopped at did not have those supposed super burgers anymore. Needed something and it happened to be where our fuel stop was so....

Arbys has the new super burger, not McD. As fas as I know McD still has their crap burgers only. They got rid of the experiment 5 or so years ago of their gourmet burgers, which weren't bad

You are right: Carl's Jr in the west.

Cummins... I went to High School at Culver Military Academy with Jim, John and Jeff Henderson. Their Father is the Jim Henderson, former Chairman of the board and CEO of Cummins Diesel. Lots of wealthy kids went there, but the Hendersons were all really cool kids, who were well liked by most everyone. Great family!!

I also had friends whose parents were big wigs at Caterpillar, who, you guessed it, used Cummins motors.

Cummins... I went to High School at Culver Military Academy with Jim, John and Jeff Henderson. Their Father is the Jim Henderson, former Chairman of the board and CEO of Cummins Diesel. Lots of wealthy kids went there, but the Hendersons were all really cool kids, who were well liked by most everyone. Great family!!

I also had friends whose parents were big wigs at Caterpillar, who, you guessed it, used Cummins motors.

When I had a truck, I bought the truck that had the Cummins. Which means I had a RAM. I didn't buy a RAM and happen to get a Cummins. It was the other way around. Sadly, I am not a truck guy now as it was not supportable financially (I was not needing a truck or using it like a truck very often). Maybe again some day.

Arbys has the new super burger, not McD. As fas as I know McD still has their crap burgers only. They got rid of the experiment 5 or so years ago of their gourmet burgers, which weren't bad

Just to underscore the importance of the bun. I like McD burgers.... In Japan. They have a better bun at their Japan locations and their double cheeseburger is actually pretty good for a fast food grab while wandering around town. (They also use better beef there I think as well but that is harder to tell),

My fur babies are always together doing everything together......I rescued them 3 years ago from the shelter. One of the best thing I ever did!
Doc Holiday (white n grey) and Wyatt Earp (grey tomcat)! 22 lbs each.....they are like dogs they follow me where ever I go and always have to be in the same room with me. Only exception is the train room. they lay on the floor outside the door until I come out lol.....
They are also very good "Watch Cats" they actually let me know if there is something or someone outside and alert me. It is amazing. It's like they know I cannot hear well etc. (I wear heaing aids I only have 17% hearing in each ear.) They're my boys!

20200523_140733.jpg20200523_140841.jpg20200523_161134.jpg20200523_165014.jpg20201006_181425.jpg20201122_214933.jpg20201124_222320.jpg20201228_013302.jpg20210112_200154.jpg20210112_200234.jpg

The Volt has a small battery as it is a plugin hybrid. Teslas stories you hear for their battery replacements are a little less than you quoted for the Volt. Why is Chevy charging 4x the price of tesla on a per kwh basis?

(1st Gen Volt was 16 kwh battery. Later models 18.4 kwh. Teslas start at 60kwh and go up from there)

Simple economics. Limited production of the Volt vs Tesla,,, volume = less expensive

Plus GM thinks all their stuff is gold 🙄

Simple economics. Limited production of the Volt vs Tesla,,, volume = less expensive

Plus GM thinks all their stuff is gold 🙄

According to this article the Volt battery should cost no where near that much

Unless they are charging $20k + in labor.

A Volt is a PHEV so even if the battery is reduced in capacity to 60-70% or whatever the car still works fine. It still has its gas engine, though I am not sure exactly how their system works (vs my Audi).

Battery EV (BEV) are not the future. The costs, the ecological damage from battery construction (let alone charging, which is mostly done with fossil fuels as society won't take the logical nuclear path). etc are not sustainable. BEV are a stepping stone to whatever comes after and is sustainable. I am betting something to do with hydrogen -- either fuel cell or actual combustion... But what do I know.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a BEV. I just wouldn't bet on a resale value and would drive it until it doesn't move any longer on its own. The process to the next phase after BEV may take a while to get to and to mature the technology and set up the infrastructure...

Hi, again!

What did you use for the 'concrete' pour? Also, did you paint the concrete while it was still wet? Thanks.

With today's concerns with charging, fire hazard, range, cold weather operation, and cost of a new Tesla, perhaps we'll all be revisiting another vehicle in the future. Like this sports model:
View attachment 147777

How about a-bit on modelling.

I've nearly completed the 52 Ford COE. All that's left is some weathering (perhaps), and carving out a windshield. I've left the cab body removable for that purpose:
View attachment 147778
View attachment 147779

I believe I've done ok with modelling vehicles this past month. I've increased my vehicle count somewhat:
View attachment 147781

Oh, I forgot. These all need mirrors. - I'm a wee bit afraid of the tiny work that's involved there.

DaveB - I was talking about layout photos concerning the gravel operation. Thanks for posting the photos. Wonderful work!

Willie - I know you were only kidding with the wife comment. Made me smile, though. I'm sure she is a joy to travel with, so I'll just send a prayer that you have safe travels.

Dave in Penn - I'm looking forward to seeing you're photos of no.205. You're a lucky man, arn't you.

Have a great afternoon!
Well, I had some of that patching plaster stuff. It’s pre mixed, light weight and fluffy. It works great when used in thin layers. But the area between the two code 83 tracks was deep. After a few days it was still a little soft but firm enough to paint. I used woodland scenics concrete paint. Nature did the rest.

Suck it up boys (sorry actually it is hurting people A LOT especially if you travel for a low pay job but your fuel bill is going up at rocket speed) but suck it up boys, sunny sunny sunny freeeeeeee solar into my Tesla, oh yeah….dances
I love VWs remember the Jetta
Besides the beetles, we owned a variant, and a big orange Passat (that thing saved my life in an accident)

Jaz- EVs are not practical for those of us who live in rural areas & do not have access to charge-at-home of fast chargers. I never had a VW, but a neighbor down the street was a VW mechanic, both at the dealership level, as well as as turning wrenches at home. I did, however own a Fiat X1/9, which was a blast drive, especially on nice days when I could go topless & drive thru the countryside.
View attachment 147758
SMS crew switching the Pureland Industrial complex in Bridgeport, South Jersey on 06/22/2022. What is unusual about this photo, by David Paul, is that SMS normally uses switchers from their collection of Baldwin Switchers...Maybe they are finally wearing out? Replacement B-23-7 is itself becoming scarce.
Joe- a longtime buddy of mine(he was my best man for my wedding to my ex) drives for National Freight out of Pureland. He’s got a contract with Kimberly-Clark.
I only made 2nd Class...

What I feel bad about is my son made it to Star and was originally going fir Eagle but then he kind of lost interest/gave up when it came to the wire and his birthday when it no longer mattered... But it was his decision and not mine so I keep it to myself.
Chad- I only made it to 2nd Class, but all 4 of my oldest sister’s sons made Eagle. The 2 twins in the middle, it really helped them when they enlisted in the Army. It automatically bumped them up a couple pay grades after BCT.

Good Morning all!
44F in Libby and clear

You know how you fill up a cart at the store, then empty your wallet of $200 ( or more ). Well, we went to USFoods and filled up the Santa Fe about 3/4 of the way to the roof and emptied about $1200 from the wallet. We now have 0 room in the 3 freezers which was the plan. Decided we need another refer for the big bottle/box stuff as the kitchen one is usually packed. Gawd, what a PITA. Get to cut meat today/tomorra, vacuum bag meat, frozen veggies and stuff like that. Should help with the impending doom. Butter has doubled in price, Milk not quite. $6.90 for strip steak, $2.80 for Pork Tenderloin, $1.90 for Pork ribs and $9.25 for Beef Rib. Note that I do not buy cut meat when doing stuff like this, but whole rib, strip and pork. 20Lb hamburger chubs were $35; got 2. Also got a couple bags of shrimp $15.something for 16 - 20 count, and a $85 bag of scallops about 1 inch square-ish; these need split up and vacuumed. 50Lbs of flour and sugar, 15Lbs of muffin mix. They did not have elbow macaroni so we will watch for that in the local store and buy when it is under $1.00 Lb; usually get a 25Lb box which just fits in a 5 gallon bucket. Then we went to CostCo - more stuff and pretty much got food. Chicken, sausage, bagels and muffins; plus other stuff I don't remember just now. Chicken and sausage is a no brainer, cut the packages apart and toss in the freezer as they are already vacuumed. Wife did buy some sheets and I found a heck of a deal on storage bins. 4 2x8x11 with compartments and see through; $13.

Onward -> we started looking into a generator, batteries and solar panels. BOY the don't give this stuff away. So our though is to take baby steps getting the generator and associated magic widgets the power company requires to get us started. They won't let me install anything connected to the grid, has to be done by a power company certified electrician. Guess that I really don't have a problem with that. After that is done, then everything on my side of that box is mine and I can do what I please. By my head scratching calc's, we need almost 40KW to duplicate what we are currently using. That is gonna change as we have too many call home devices and all of us leave stuff on at any given time. For now, we want to be able to hold up the freezers and refers and will turn down the temp on the hot water. Actually, for summer we could do a roof water heater with PVC - more on that later.

Batteries - Tesla and Generac are the most expensive; both have a 10 year ( 4000 cycle ) warranty and cost more than all of my vehicles combined. With my quick seat of the pants number crunching, we would have a net savings of about 100.00 per month using the lessor power bill ( $220 per month ). ROI probably will never happen or really be out there beyond my sun orbits. I am gonna have to setup a spreadsheet and compare to deep cycle marine batteries to see what shakes out.

One thing I do like is now you can get small inverters. Used to be that a solar array was plugged into one honker inverter that was spendy. The little guys are made for 2 - 5 panels ( power depending ) and cheaper. That in itself lends to easier maintenance as you can take down one array and not the whole nine yards.

I have not looked at PV yet, but know that they are better and cheaper than when I looked 5ish years ago.

Anybody else going down this road?

Later
We have 29.6kwp, with the grid setting a 25kwp invertor limit, we keep cruncgtenumbers but to date none of the battery options are economical as their life time is just not enogo take the risk, we would like an. Off grid option as well, but we got the lasts of the governments fits payments which pays us to
produce power
and use power ourselves
as well as send power to the grid
fits=feed in tarif
we have a so 7th facing array, plus an east west array, technical the east west array gets less sun,but we get it earlier in the morning and later at night when we use it, the most power from the south is okay for higher numbers but all comes in at high noon time, the stretch gives us better coverage for ourselves.
we original had a 12 year payback set of figures,the first year came in better than the calculations so reduced the payback,that was 2019 origination and we are continuing to produce more than predicted, and the higher bills are making our payback faster, I think we’re down to 8 years when I last ran the figures,the Fits is for 20 years - if the government do not welch, the income is quarterly and offsets our bilings. but cone autumn winter the solar is pitiful. The wood burner stove is due to be fitted soon and we can dry wood from our trees with the solar power anhave room to store, so winter cooking and heating cabe reduced as well.
Wegavetwatch each wood we use, confers are best avoided because of the resin and potential chimney fires, the willows are not the best wood but grow fastest and dry ok, sone better wood grows slower, there will of course be ash and dust in the kitchen, but the room is the end of the bungalow, we have 2 additional open fires with chimneys for wood or coal burning if bills get silly,we just need to store the wood and keep the moisture below 20 percent or risk carbon monoxide poisoning! FYI our alarm wentfavouple ofwinters ago and the fire brigade turned up! they said we were w percent from being kicked out if the house, they were there a couple of hours all windows open despite cold and asked for all fans to be turned on to push the art.
Have considered the older japanese Nissan technology as you. Can to car and back from car, but their vehicles have very limited range so not great. Tesla could add the technology apparently it’s capable but he would undercut his own other sales and seriously p off the electricity companies so is not; likely o ‘turn it on’.
Our array had one spare panel not connected as it would have exceeded the 29.6. we were never convinced over the hot water options and stuck tio straight electricity.
The boat style batteries seem the most versatile, and as smaller if one goes bang less loss cost wise, he Tesla wall is likely to exceed the expected lifetime, but we hesitated and then the grid refused permission for us to add one, thereby forcing us to export to them at low cost and then make a profit selling it on, doh! we may let wise have fitted 3 but we’re still dithering over the cost against the potential return and if any failure on tthe equipment. If your going off grid, and we may yet do this as well, then they are go f…. Themselves.

Jaz- EVs are not practical for those of us who live in rural areas & do not have access to charge-at-home of fast chargers. I never had a VW, but a neighbor down the street was a VW mechanic, both at the dealership level, as well as as turning wrenches at home. I did, however own a Fiat X1/9, which was a blast drive, especially on nice days when I could go topless & drive thru the countryside.

Joe- a longtime buddy of mine(he was my best man for my wedding to my ex) drives for National Freight out of Pureland. He’s got a contract with Kimberly-Clark.

Chad- I only made it to 2nd Class, but all 4 of my oldest sister’s sons made Eagle. The 2 twins in the middle, it really helped them when they enlisted in the Army. It automatically bumped them up a couple pay grades after BCT.
There are not many chargers near us,and no supers chargers for over an hour, we are far from a city, bu the Tesla gives us 300 or so so loads of options if we trave,, a local Tesco supermarket had freecharger when you shop, not super fast but free! we rarely struggle when we trave, b the distances here are not like the US ones. I want a cybertruck without a stupid eu tear den of the model, plus the solar panel to limp home with,although I understand it’s like 15 miles a day, lol but Bette then nothing,and a lot of tow trucks do not get Eva’s so one needs to be wary.
The fiat sounds fun….ooh I just looked it up I saw several a sharp lime coloured one with the flip up lights is right down my alley

I agree, tom. I usually get more done before 9:00AM than I do the rest of the day. Whenever I try to work from home, I end up going out with the dog, or stopping by the fridge out of boredom, just to see what I might want to snack on. But the biggest distraction for me is the view from the window. My home office windows open up to our back yard (which is something like 5 acres), and I find myself watching animals rather than working.

I have a recliner in there where I like to sit with the dog on my lap. He enjoys the view as much as I do.

Edit to add obligatory video of Winston pestering our cat, Oliver.
Lol oliver has atttude..

I second that! Hydrogen is the way to go. 8 years ago GM did multiple contracts with the military creating hydrogen powered vehicles and they are still in service today. It is a huge success BUT the problem is how do they make money off hydrogen? Like they do with petroleum? It is always about how to make money no matter what. If the companies cannot make money they will scrap it unless the govt. forces the issue.

Batteries is as dumb as it gets.....all these battery power tools and such will end up in land fills no one will recycle it. It is a shame and a waste. Car batteries they are making today with electric cars.....ya......... who will recycle those? and the cars?

My 2 cents.
Problem is hydrogen has been around for donkeys and they still cannot get a commercial version, and meantime the greenhouse effect (I am not certain how much humans are to blame by the way,one good volcano can do way more harm, but there’s a lot of illegal deforestation, but anyways a whole other argument)I expect to have had my Tesla for years, my rangerover Is 20 yrs now, I plan to use the battery after the car is dead,and use it as storage 75 kw thank you very much. I would love it if hydrogen came out to play, but a good number of us will be dead before it gets off the ground. Hopefully I will be proved wrong,but I wouldn’t hold my breath (then I would be dead!)

Good afternoon, everyone! Need I say it, another hot one here in H-Town. We have tied and broke temp records the last few days. Third day in a row over 100.

Jaz - some nice looking autos
Willie - safe trip. My wife holds on for dear life when I drive.
Rgeiter - Nice concrete
Guy - Some really nice looking trucks

Electric cars - I drive a Tacoma. Love it. Not the best mpg, 24 if I drive nice. I figure I'll be long gone before electric is one's only choice. Just think what the grid updating is going to cost us.

Boy Scouts - I stayed involved until I joined the Coast Guard. (17 yr. old) I have so many great memories of my time in the Scouts. You never realize till later the skills you had learned.

Cats - No cats here. I am a dog person through and through. I would never intentionally hurt a cat, but give me a dog any day.

Do you cook? Tomorrow I have to cook. I'm doing a variation of Outback's Alice Springs Chicken. There was a time I really enjoyed cooking, maybe tomorrow will bring that back.

Trains - Today I just rail fanned. I had 2, 20 car plus trains running at scale speed, while sipping a 12 year old scotch. Can you say relaxed.
1656107286643.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Arby's is getting better and better and it always seems to work although we do get tired of roast beef. Wendy's is usually good with soft buns and such. Carl's Jr ( Hardy's East of Mississippi ) are almost always good. Maybe the East/West is backwards. Sometimes the buns are old, but the chicken strips always work. Iron Skillet ( Petro ) and Country Kitchen ( TA ) are pretty much crap. They need to get somebody in that can plan new recipes instead of the same old same old.
They want something inherently cheap will will over pay for, the amount of fries we get are pathetic, the burger rolls are gross,Australia is short of lettuce apparently and using cabbage! Chicken is fine as long as there is not rats in the vats,hotdogs and mechanically stripped left overs - why we love them so (me included) I have no idea as they really are gross,the soft drinks are also gross never anything like their cousin bottles/cans, and the milkshakes are often off the menu because they are full of mold and need to be cleaned out to get rid of the mold often black that is too easy to spot, if you see one that often has their machine down I would question their hygiene.they use iffy flavour enhancers as well. The rolls are often full of sugarG1 Sugar in a bun gross,but you guys lie maple syrup on your eggs and bacon so I guess…..
I love kebab but the other half often gets a bad tummy, me I have cast iron guts very rarely get any tummy 🐜 🐛 🐞 bugs, home.made is best, and sone of the food you guys show from home cooked bbq is superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back