Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all!
61F in Libby
79F in Syracuse NY and dark.
Everyone seemed to be interested in my blowout, thanks for the comments.
No, did not clean up anything. I70 is 3 lanes wide where bang happened and I ain't gonna even try. I looked and there were only small pieces of rubber no big 'gator, all of the steel belt was still on what was left of the tire. The blast did take out some cosmetic stuff, mostly plastic for the ground effect package. The chain carrier top is now bright and shiny from the steel belt hitting it and ya can not open it to get chains out. Lots of power spinning steel at 65Mph!
Speaking of scaring the crap outa ya... Guy in the little car to my right did a pretty good swerve but got straightened back out without rubbing something. Which brings up:
Never, NEVER ever travel next to a big truck for any amount of time. Get by it and go on with your business!
Oh, and the little guy went past me on the right before I had a chance to get to the shoulder... didn't see any marking on his car. He wasn't smiling either..
No, blowing a drive does not wiggle the steering, although a rear tire on the trailer while going around a curve does. Don't ask me how I know. Funny thing is we check our tires ( and the rest of the truck for that matter ) multiple times a day. Dang recaps have a mind of their own.
Just happy you are ok.

TomO

Good Morning!
There's a very nice fog laying over the land this morning. I can tell the sun is trying to draw the moisture from all that rain out of the ground. 48F right off the top, headed up to the mid-sixties. It's going to be a very nice day.

I like building Sylvan trucks, but, they are very delicate. First thing I did this morning, was break off a part of the front axle from the 52 Ford I'm working on:
52 Ford COE_06-17-2022.JPG

Now, I need to fix it up with brass. I'm thinking I should do that right from the start, while building these resin trucks. Resin dosen't seem to make a stable axle for anything more than a display under glass.

Did you ask them.
Yes, I've asked. The answer is that they are working to beautify the town.
Other than having a curb a-bit more gentle, the new sidewalk looks just like the old one. It's the same width.
Here's more photos. It's the first time I've ever seen a Sterling truck:
SterlingTruck_06-08-2022 (1).JPG

InlandWtCrt_06-16-2022 (2).JPG

It's possible that Willie is correct in saying there is some connection between Inland and the town councillors. It's a very small town after all.
Now, I suppose, they'll need to pave the road again. That should have been done in the first place, instead of wasting money on a new sidewalk.

Nice car, James. Sadly, around here it would only be a yard ornament. Our highways would beat the bottom of that thing to death.

Have a great day, everyone!

Good morning everyone with or without power, A/C or not, and those who have actually experienced the Covid themselves. Wow, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday at this time it was 77f degrees and quite nice on the deck. Today it’s 65 and very humid only climbing to 81.

My weathering adventures I am not into it for the money. Thankfully I don’t need it unless the stock market crashes to ZERO and the Senate minority leader said when they gain the majority Social Security cuts are coming. Seniors will need to live without. Sometimes I wonder…

Weathering does consume me when I do it and having deadlines since I retired from my daily gig is definitely a no go for me. The friend and I spoke last night. I will do 16 cars from the membership and one car for his commission, so 17 total. No rust buckets at this time and there must be a picture of a similar weathered prototype.

Cars, my brother collects and still has over 60 Corvettes amongst many others. I have ridden in and driven quite a few of them. My wife drives her main car which is a 2022 Mercedes AMG Roadster. I am 5’10” currently at 190# and like in a Corvette I feel like I am riding on the floor. She is 5’4” and finally at 70 weighs over 100#, I think. Cars are funny, my dad was in sales and then owned a Chevy/Buick dealership in Illinois. My sister, brother and daughter all received the I love cars gene. It definitely passed me by. While I do like the look of sports cars for the most part but could care less about the high performance part. I drive a 2022 VW Jetta R series and occasionally a restored 2004 Chevy SSR. Terry used to drive the 2 club road courses outside of Joilet, Illinois. Terry and I have both driven her cars on the Elkhart Lake Race course here in Wisconsin. I have never driven over 120 but she has been up to 160. That thrill is not there for me. She, the daughter, son and SIL were at a Arizona driving school recently as the daughter got a vehicle from her Uncle that she didn’t really know how to drive.

My wife will be here around noon. The daughter and granddaughter were coming home and because I have Covid Terry thought she might stay on the island. She is not. I missed the Monday and Wednesday vacuuming chores, (hey I was sick) but now feeling better I need to at least vacuum and run the 1/2 empty dish washer. Last night heading to bed it sounded like the kitchen refrigerator was preparing to take off for the moon. I checked it was still cooling. I better check this morning.

I do feel better this morning. The cough is not as much and feels different, not as dry as before. But, I have felt better a few times in the last 10 days so we shall see. I feel some model train retail therapy coming on.

Good morning everyone with or without power, A/C or not, and those who have actually experienced the Covid themselves. Wow, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday at this time it was 77f degrees and quite nice on the deck. Today it’s 65 and very humid only climbing to 81.

My weathering adventures I am not into it for the money. Thankfully I don’t need it unless the stock market crashes to ZERO and the Senate minority leader said when they gain the majority Social Security cuts are coming. Seniors will need to live without. Sometimes I wonder…

Weathering does consume me when I do it and having deadlines since I retired from my daily gig is definitely a no go for me. The friend and I spoke last night. I will do 16 cars from the membership and one car for his commission, so 17 total. No rust buckets at this time and there must be a picture of a similar weathered prototype.

Cars, my brother collects and still has over 60 Corvettes amongst many others. I have ridden in and driven quite a few of them. My wife drives her main car which is a 2022 Mercedes AMG Roadster. I am 5’10” currently at 190# and like in a Corvette I feel like I am riding on the floor. She is 5’4” and finally at 70 weighs over 100#, I think. Cars are funny, my dad was in sales and then owned a Chevy/Buick dealership in Illinois. My sister, brother and daughter all received the I love cars gene. It definitely passed me by. While I do like the look of sports cars for the most part but could care less about the high performance part. I drive a 2022 VW Jetta R series and occasionally a restored 2004 Chevy SSR. Terry used to drive the 2 club road courses outside of Joilet, Illinois. Terry and I have both driven her cars on the Elkhart Lake Race course here in Wisconsin. I have never driven over 120 but she has been up to 160. That thrill is not there for me. She, the daughter, son and SIL were at a Arizona driving school recently as the daughter got a vehicle from her Uncle that she didn’t really know how to drive.

My wife will be here around noon. The daughter and granddaughter were coming home and because I have Covid Terry thought she might stay on the island. She is not. I missed the Monday and Wednesday vacuuming chores, (hey I was sick) but now feeling better I need to at least vacuum and run the 1/2 empty dish washer. Last night heading to bed it sounded like the kitchen refrigerator was preparing to take off for the moon. I checked it was still cooling. I better check this morning.

I do feel better this morning. The cough is not as much and feels different, not as dry as before. But, I have felt better a few times in the last 10 days so we shall see. I feel some model train retail therapy coming on.
Recovering from it slowly here as well TLOC, it’s a pain in the butt !

Well, howdy there internet peeps.

Thanks for all the well wishes on the power situation. Things have settled back to (abby) normal around here.

Sitting out on the patio, sans the canopy overhead. With one of the connection points gone, I won't be able to get it up. Our maintenance guy won't be replacing the trim board that busted, since we're about two weeks from getting the siding guys out to tackle our building. That will be a multi-week endeavor.

Wife decided to use some of my surveyor string to wrap her vegetable cages. And I got the solar clothes dryers working.

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 10.25.21 AM.png

Last evening was the Real Estate Auction for wife's mother's home:

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 10.24.30 AM.png

Not quite a proposal, but I did tell wife's mother that I was going to marry her daughter, while sitting around the kitchen table in that home. We had a ton of family gatherings in her large kitchen over the past 35 years.

A nice single mom from the nearby town purchased it. She beat out a local couple who are living with their parents down the road, and another couple. One of the latter is known as a TikTok "viral" personality. He makes stupid videos of he and his buddy breaking stuff. Like going to WalMart, purchasing a crow bar, and then recording themselves busting the window on his car with it. Evidently being a TikTok viral personality generates enough income to replace a car window. 🤪

Dehumidifier has been running almost nonstop since I plugged it back in. Right now, the reservoir fills in about 5-6 hours. Normally, it's a dump it twice a day. Now I dump it about 4 times a day.

Oh, well, back to laundry. Then a grocery run. Despite getting the ice-chests, and covering our frozen foods with ice, we had too much thawing, and too much water infiltration into bags and storage containers. All of the food hit the rubbish bin. I'm slowly restocking, and need to go get some meat for grilling out this weekend.

Confession time. I can be very stupid at times and I just experienced another one of those.

I feel better. My grass hasn’t been cut since last Friday. It is wavy height which is too high in my book. Took the garden tractor and cut for 20 minutes and I can barely move and really accomplished very little. Now i am on the deck trying to get my breath back and my weary bones relaxed. Dumb dumb dumb.

The house will stay unvacuumed today

This was posted on the JNS Forum (the Japan N-scale forum) in their "other railroads" -- "prototype for anything" topic.

French TGV being street-run in BRNO Czechia. (Based on comments it is not a tram track but a normal street run of standard track that goes to an expo or something).

This "engine sound" business in an electric car is just stupid. You're not fooling anyone and it just makes you look like a tool.
If you drive electric -- embrace it, don't hide it.
I don't think the noise is for the driver, more for the ever growing number of people not paying attention to what's going on around them, can you imagine the number of people sueing the driver because they couldn't hear the car, so it's the drivers fault.

Last edited:
I don't think the noise is for the driver, more further ever growing number of people not paying attention to what's going on around them, can you imagine the number of people sueing the driver because they couldn't hear the car, so it's the drivers fault.
In the US, any new electric or hybrid vehicle must have a pedestrian warning system, similar to a back-up alarm, whenever they are backing up or going forward below 12-15 mph, or a similar speed.

I don't think the noise is for the driver, more further ever growing number of people not paying attention to what's going on around them, can you imagine the number of people sueing the driver because they couldn't hear the car, so it's the drivers fault.

yeah but it doesn't need to sound like a 72 Mustang or whatever. I read a supposed interview with some GM execs who were bragging about all the various classic sounds you could get from some future un-announced EV SUV with a Corvette name on it. THAT feature (meaning the classic sounds) is for the driver. Even if making a sound at all is a (perhaps required) safety feature. That is why I said embrace it -- make some cool EV sound.

My PHEV just makes some random "white noise" that kind of sounds like road noise at low speeds (until you are going fast enough to make real road noise) so that people can hear the car coming.

Good Morning All. A pleasantly cool 71° with hazy skies out there this morning. This Saharan dust storm is not only producing hazy conditions and interesting sunsets, but is making breathing a bit more difficult. I'm not sure when it will pass. It's a normal phenomenon this time of year, but this current one seems to be heavier than normal. Being an optimist, it does leave phosphorus and iron behind in the dust to fertilize the ground. I am sure that Curt and Hughie are affected, but I don't know how widespread across the rest of the country it is. Only chance of any upcoming rain is a 15% chance Saturday evening.

I have been posting about the hotter than average temperatures in the last month playing havoc with some of the vegetable crops in my garden, specifically spinach, lettuce and broccoli, well it looks like a new record was set this year with 20 days of above 90° during May. This has also affected the pollination of my green beans, lots of flowers that just fall off and don't produce a bean. Will this year be like 1980 when every day in July was 100° or over? It actually ran from June 23 until August 3! Or 2011 when we had 40 days in a row from July 2 until August 10?

Busy day yesterday with the grocery trek, clothes shopping and several other errands. Post office was a bust as their internet was down and they could not accept the barcode for a return package. We could have gone to another post office in a different town, but we had to get the groceries home and into the fridge/freezer. The cooler with it's ice pack can only do so much good! Eye candy was amazing yesterday. Shopping for the clothes was a bummer, but it's over. What a waste of time (and money) for something that I will only wear once.

Thanks for all of the comments and reactions to Dottie's pictures yesterday; Patrick, Karl, Joe, Guy, Tom O, James, Sherrel, Chad, Dave B, Louis, Hughie, Steve J, Mikey, Jeff, Jaz, Gary, Smudge, Tom, OB Ken.

With all of the activity earlier in the day including picking a bunch of tomatoes, I didn't really have much time out in the train shed. When I did get there, the battery in the camera needed charging. About all that I did layout-wise was to give Dottie a place to lay out in the sun.
View attachment 147453
There she is working on her tan while her hubby plants a tree. This may be temporary until I get a pool for her to float in. That may or may no be in the future.

James - A little late, but nice fishes you caught here in Texas. Great looking car as well. Where do you have to go to hit 156 mph?
Ken (D&J) - For some reason, I just don't believe that we will see the pictures.;)
Dave B - Sorry to read of your wife's vaccine issue. I hope that it isn't permanent. SIRVA usually heals itself, but not always.
Difference between a string bikini and a thong bikini is thongs usually have a small triangle at the waistband connection. Not a lot of difference.
Both are sweet to the eyes on the right ladies.
Troy - Good news finally.
Jaz -

I have no experience painting toenails...or fingernails for that matter.

Well, you asked.
View attachment 147452
Note that I do have clothes on...at least a shirt.
Tom O - That is a nice ego boost regarding all of the club guys wanting you to weather their cars. Think it through like you are doing. I could spend eight hours a day in the train shed if I wanted, but then it would be like having a job all over again. I retired from that life!!!
Patrick - While I can still get into and out of my Honda Civic, and thus a Corvette or Camaro, and I can now afford either; I would have to build a garage to keep it in. My wife wouldn't be able to get into either of them. Knees!
Guy - I am sure that the Inland Cement owner has a relative in city government.

OK, it's Friday. Get ready for the weekend if that applies to you. Y'all have a great day.

Willie - This Vette does 0 to 60 mph under 3 seconds. With this 6.2 liter LT4 Supercharged 650 hp/650 ftlbs of torque to reach that speed it just a matter of seconds. It does a quarter mile under 11 seconds to high 10s due to all of the Z06 and Z67 options so at that point I am moving just around 130 mph. At the half mile mark I am hitting 156 mph at ease. No problem. I may of gone a tad higher but I was watching the road at those speeds. This car has a built in data recorder for personal use that takes a SD card and records up to 6 hours of performance running as well as videos. The car has cameras all around (6). Also this car weighs under @ 3500 lbs lots of carbon fiber everywhere! This car seems to have no end on the top end lol. I was in a secluded area yesterday with plenty of room up to 5 miles of straightaway. I cannot say the location for obvious reason. We have an o'l joke that we went to Mexico lol!

The fish were solid but I wished the conditions were better. With the lake drawn down 15 below normal ugh that changes things. I was hoping to find a double digit one oh well maybe next time!

Good morning all

72 headed for 78 and full sun. Forecast moderated quite a bit. Looks like a pleasant weekend for east central Minnesota.

I heard on the news yesterday that the wealthy consume most of the energy. I guess it had to be spelled out for who?

Looking forward to some wiring, scenery, and painting on the layout tomorrow!

Troy- good to hear power is on

Tom- Gary - hope your symptoms subside quickly

Guy- enjoy the new sidewalk, most of the ones I have been on should have been replaced.

James - I think you need a few more cars😜

Back later, Dave LASM

Good morning all

72 headed for 78 and full sun. Forecast moderated quite a bit. Looks like a pleasant weekend for east central Minnesota.

I heard on the news yesterday that the wealthy consume most of the energy. I guess it had to be spelled out for who?

Looking forward to some wiring, scenery, and painting on the layout tomorrow!

Troy- good to hear power is on

Tom- Gary - hope your symptoms subside quickly

Guy- enjoy the new sidewalk, most of the ones I have been on should have been replaced.

James - I think you need a few more cars😜

Back later, Dave LASM

A few more cars? Like sports cars? Nope well maybe 1 more. Cars as in model train cars? that never ends lol :p😆😂🤣

Being single and no kids has it's advantages.

EDIT: I have tried over the years and have been unsuccessful at finding a soul mate that understood me or rather put up with me. I am just as happy by myself as I would be with someone else. Even if you're with someone.....that person is NOT responsible for your happiness although can definitely make you unhappy. I believe you have to be happy with yourself no matter what you do or who you are with etc.

Last edited:
Good morning. It's Friday, and our shopping is finished before the usual crowd was there. 84°, and sunny, going to 92°. Cooler tomorrow.

Digital over the air TV has been goofy of late. Two nights ago, I got all kinds of stations, clearly...last two nights, even some of the NYC stations were not coming in. 👎:mad:. over all, over the air is better, (cheaper), than cable or satellite, but it has its days.

Humorous marketing Department: Received a large envelope in the mail today, that contained three 14"x17"sheets of bright white paper,printed in very large typeface, from a Financial Advisory Firm that advertises nationally, congratulating me on my success and for being at the top of the heap wealth wise...:rolleyes:...Proceeded to offer me a Free book of retirement tips, and another Free publication, if I was to call their toll-free number, and have a Free consultation with one of their representatives...(Broker salesperson)...with no obligation....:rolleyes:

Yeah, right! Like if I'm so freakin wealthy, why do I need Free stuff? Business must be bad, for a supposedly "reputable" company to resort to such bull crap fishin. According to my current Financial Advisor, YTD, my self directed investment account is out performing the S&P. (Of course, that ain't saying much, considering how poorly the S&P and the Broader Market are performing at present, but I have no doubt, my picks are performing better than some of the proprietory products offered by various brokerage houses.

I think, what bothers me the most, is the notion, that all retired people are stupid or gullible. Marketing that is condescending really annoys me.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back