Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from about 100 miles south and a shade west of MikeinHubcity. It is 41f degrees feeling like 36 but warming hopefully per the weather app to 60. So. Central Wisconsin is also breezy this morning at 10mph. A good indoor day.

I again have the granddaughter to maybe 1 today. Dad is coaching 2 games this morning. The grandson, daughter, niece and Terry were at Disneyland yesterday in California. Terry texted they got to the park at 11 am local time and were walking to the parking lot after the parade at 9:30pm, local time, 11:30 here. I am so glad I had to miss that trip. She thinks that maybe the daughter and niece had a greater time then the 8 year old grandso.

mikeinhubcity, I was fortunate as a kid in the 60’s that dad was able to get $5.00 standing room only tickets to the Chicago BlackHawk games. That was great, top row standing in the old Chicago Stadium, maybe 5-10 games a year. I still have a ticket stub from every pro game I ever attended in a rather big wooden chest. Later in college a neighbor had season tickets via the company he owned and I could get maybe 3-5 games a year. Then after college for the 2 years I returned to Chicago after graduation and before I woke up to how much I hated Chicagoland I would drive a few minutes and buy Mezzanine seats, have a hot dog and pretzel and be in heaven. I love to this day the NHL game. In the late 80’s to 2016, we had season tickets and would drive down, grab the sister and BIL for about 20 games and all the playoff games for years. The other 20 games a year, the sales teams would take clients when that was still deductible. Those were fun except the Hawks were terrible in the 2000’s till 2 years before the 3 cups in 6 seasons.

pressed post too early

Not sure about trains today but the desire is there

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 57° and dry. It appears that the rain predicted here for yesterday jumped further east and is now soaking parts of Arkansas, Louisiana and Southeast Texas. I am glad that I took advantage of an hour of no wind yesterday morning and irrigated the garden which was on the verge of dehydration. The rain which used to be in the forecast for Monday, and then was removed, is now back in there again. The high yesterday was 82°, however that was reached at 10:00 am and it dropped from there. We won't see the sun or the wind again until Thursday. The cloud cover will keep the pool from warming up, but at the same time will keep it from losing much warmth overnight.

Wondering out loud what to fix for supper tonight? It looks to be an excellent evening for grilling something, but what will it be???

Thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding the layout overviews yesterday; Patrick, Smudge, Tom O, Rick, OB Ken, Sherrel, Karl, Troy, Joe, Hughie, Louis, Guy, Curt, Chad, IB Ken, Mikey.

While I was in the train shed yesterday, I didn't really accomplish much. I did add some more window treatments to the bank building, but really didn't feel like doing much. So I just ran some trains around on the layout. Here's a few shots of the area on the lower level of the turn-around loop.
IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

Smudge - You're correct about the Branchline instructions, but I still like their kits. I think that you did an acceptable job on the structure.
Sherrel - Sad to read that you will not be able to keep the "ranch house" in the family. It always seemed to be a great place for family gatherings. Good luck with the termites.
And get well soon.
Hughie - Good progress.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 68.
I just got an email from the company that made my wife's cpap machine. I got it for her last May, in June I was sent a "stop use" order for the machine. The email I just got says she should receive her replacement machine within the next 6 months. I guess I can wait--it's not like she needs it any more, or that it's a necessary medical device...
Terry, You unfortunately are going to get a lot of untimely mailings in the future. Companies are quick to add you to a list for notifications but sure are slow to remove a person. My mom who never lived with us and passed 15 years ago, we still get stuff addressed to her. She never even lived in the Madison area.

Terry, how are you doing? How is the job? I kept putting off that question but …

TomO

Good morning. It's cloudy and 68.
I just got an email from the company that made my wife's cpap machine. I got it for her last May, in June I was sent a "stop use" order for the machine. The email I just got says she should receive her replacement machine within the next 6 months. I guess I can wait--it's not like she needs it any more, or that it's a necessary medical device...
Heck, I still get stuff addresses to my late wife who died in 2001, and that was at my previous address. I never filed a change of address for her name.

Good morning. 80° and sunny, going to 91. O's, Nationals, Phils all lost on Saturday. Yankees doubleheader, two games one at 3 the other at 8. Mets at 3 on PIX 11 . All kinds of choices.

Terry: That is quite a disconnect, considering...

Not sure what i might do today, yesterday, I mostly napped....hopefully today is more productive.

Mid Morning to all you RRoaders back there! It was solid overcast all day yesterday and starting out that was this morning. Scratching my head trying to remember the last overcast day- does not happen very often here. It is still very cool (cold to me) and only supposed to reach 68 today.

The Spousal Unit has decided that we are too old now to take care of the "ranch home", but now she wants a lap pool added here. I told her that I have no objections as long as I don't have to take care of it! I came to hate the pool we had years back as neighbors trees-and our own- were a nightmare along with a massive real stone waterfall that I never could stop leaking.!!

The local daughter is involved with a yard sale for the entire block where they live. Last night I had to help her and hubby load several things from our garage to place in her sale. I would like to go and see how they are doing this morning; however, ....

I discovered two different places inside the house of termites! I just hope they have not done too much damage to date: I would hate to have to torch the place? I knew about the first place, but the second has me a little concerned as it is upstairs in the master bedroom!
I have Terminix coming this morning to check it all out. I know, I know - It's just money!!

I've been feeling a very little bit better - at least yesterday? Last night was pretty lousy sleeping - so, I will see what this day brings.

LOVE everyone's pictures and posts. Great work folks!

BBL
Sherrel, tough deal on the termites. Nasty, damaging little things.

The lap pool. I had one added in 1995 after 15 years in the house in No. Cenral Wisconsin and before solar power was economical. I swam in it every day the wind chill was above 0f degrees as it was gas heated. 9’ wide and 75’ long and 4’ deep right above the lake.

No pool of any sort in the 1st place we purchased in 2014 in So. Central Wisconsin. Missed it greatly and added 20# in that 14 month time. 2nd and 3rd houses have had them and when medically cleared at least 1/2 hour a day swimming laps. Unfortunately they are not medically deductible but solar powering the heating source is a wonderful thing.

You will enjoy it

My books are published under a nom de plume. DM me if you want the link

They are technically Cozy Mysteries. As in Agatha Christie

But, they have paranormal elements. As if Ms Christie was a fan of Harry Potter's world (the first few books). I rarely venture into the darkness of the latter couple of the HP books. One series (Mystic Brews) has a sleuth who sees and hears ghosts. The other series is a SoCal town built on top of a magical toxic-waste site (magical faerock). The sleuth is a pixie realtor with a gimpy leg and wing. No ghosts, but a couple of mini-dragons who appear as cats, in case a mundane is around.

The rules for Cozy Mysteries
-No Gore. I can show a dead body on the page. Graphic details are left out. For instance, in the Pixie Twist book 1 plot, the victim was killed with her own antique sword. She's found face down on her desk, sword sticking out of her back. That's almost all the details you get. No coroner's reports... but details from such can be discussed by characters if needed to advance the mystery.

-No Sexy bits. In that same book, Sleuth and her new boyfriend share a kiss at the very end of the book. So far, that's the only kiss in the 5-book series. If there are sexy times beyond flirting or a smooch, it goes off-page (fade to black, close the door, that sort of thing.) So far, I'm not writing romance, though both series have couples dating in them.

-No Cussing. In the aforementioned Pixie series, the explicative is "Faerocks!" in the other series, it's usually "Coffee Beans!" I think I've used a couple of "Crap!"s across 13 books. Those were saved for very serious needs to swear.

Now, if you take offense at snarky, talking, magical cats... there is a ton of snarky cat antics in every book.

Also, these books talk about Fae Magic. A la Harry Potter style. Not a direct copy, but that's how you get snarky talking cats.

Hope that helps.

Troy, Sounds worth reading for me. I will have to google nom de plume not up on the fancy words.

THANKS for the reply!!!!!

Dave LASM

Tom: Just got one fron 'Zon - - hope it works okay for my limited use:

Kids got off - - - - the missus has been teary all the rest of the day. Me, too, truth be told. Decided that good therapy would be to spend time with the other daughter. She is doing very well with her guide dog. The two becoming quite the team.

Church this am - - and then quiet day. May try to run trains for a bit. Haven't in almost two weeks.

Good morning all,

Flo - Coffee and Rice Crispies today, not too hungry this morning. Thanks

Mike - 38° here in east Central Minnesota as well. Wife put plants away expecting freeze.

Willie - Nice layout pic s

Hughie - practicing to be a comedian, are we? BTW New build does look great

Smudge - I like the new build, honestly not sure what was added that doesn't belong

Curt - new area with lights especially nice

Louis - I have a 1987 Twins key chain from when they won the world series. Thats my extent of baseball knowledge. I think I have been to 3 twins games in my life, never been to the new Stadium even though now going on two decades old, I think.

Ken DJ - see you made it safely home from yesterdays ride

Probally it for the day, will be working on bridge project a little this afternoon

Dave LASM

Good Morning!

Finally, we are getting shorts weather! Only 35F right now, but, it's going up to 60F. That's about the temperature I like for summer. Anything more than 60, I need to start hiding in the shade.

Smudge - I like the colours you chose for the building. The structure looks wonderful, even though there are a couple of parts mixed up.

Hughie - I figure you are a speed builder. The transfer building is really coming along and looks great. It's going to be another fine addition to your outstanding layout.

Willie - Please don't think I was being critical of the glue-film windshield technique. It's a very beneficial bit of knowledge, and a useful tool to use under the right circumstances. As it happens, I simply prefer the use of acetate, even though it's a more difficult process to fit properly.
Thank you for educating us on the window glue technique.

Curt - Ambivalent!?! You used a hard word that made me consult my Hillbilly Pocket Dictionary. I like the road, and the scene looks super all lite-up in an evening environment.

Yesterday, I mowed the lawn and then the G-kids came over to play. So, that all took some hours.

I did get some time to butcher up a couple of Chinese figures, and turn them into truck drivers. Arms and feet came off, and parts were altered and glued to make them more suitable for they're new job. Here's the photos:
52 Ford COE_05-22-2022 (1).JPG

52 Ford COE_05-22-2022 (2).JPG

52 Ford COE_05-22-2022 (3).JPG

I'll use the short guy in the COE truck. Might get them cleaned up and painted today.

Sherrel - I think termites might be a warmer climate bug. Don't believe they come up this far north. I'm glad about that, but at the same time, sad that you are experiencing problems with the critters. I suppose there's a price to pay for escaping the snows.

I'm going to have one more coffee, then walk the dog. I'm painting figures and trucks after that.
Have a good one!

Morning all,

Fishing clinic was not too bad, sun popped out and made it feel warmer. Granddaughter had a good time. She caught 2 fish, so she was happy.

Currently 48° and partly cloudy going for a high of 70°. That's about 10° below average.

Got to go to the boys house again this morning, He was having an issue with his year old dryer. Took me an hour to clean the machine of lint. Same machine we have but apparently never considered cleaning the lint trap. Surprised he didn't burn the place down. He has an ant problem I have to help him with.

BBL

Last edited:
Terry, You unfortunately are going to get a lot of untimely mailings in the future. Companies are quick to add you to a list for notifications but sure are slow to remove a person. My mom who never lived with us and passed 15 years ago, we still get stuff addressed to her. She never even lived in the Madison area.

Terry, how are you doing? How is the job? I kept putting off that question but …

TomO
The job is--a job. The working conditions are better than the last place, though I really hate that I was promoted out of the position I applied, and was hired for, a week after I started. I am really tired of fixing stuff that should never have been allowed to leave the factory in the condition it is, and fixing things the entitled RV owners break due to their abuse or negligence, and think should be taken care of for free. I'm pretty sure what the response would be if I tried not paying my electric bill, because it should be free...

As for untimely mailing, I still get mail addressed to the man that used to own this house, including offers from one political party, offering to fill out and submit votes in his name.
He died in 1975...

Good morning all! 57 and overcast heading for 66.

Went with my wife to pick strawberries yesterday and it was quite an experience. Just as we were getting there the dark clouds started rolling in. It started to sprinkle a bit when we got out of the car but we went ahead to start picking. Hadn't been in the field but a couple minutes when the sprinkles turned to torrential rain and high wind. We stuck it out and kept picking until the lightning showed up. At that point it was just us and two other people out there. We all grabbed what we could and headed back to pay. It let up a little as we paid but then it hit hard again.

Our power was out when we got home and it stayed out for a while. Finally came back on and stayed on for a good while and then went off again. The second outage didn't last too long. Once the power was back on again my wife got to work and made around 10 small jars of strawberry freezer jam and two strawberry pies (one for us, one for the kids).

Nothing much planned for today as of now. Hope you all have a great day!

Thinking of "clean cut" baseball players... Maybe some of you remember the American league championship series of 1971, 73 & 74. Some in the press played the angle of the establishment versus counter culture. The clean cut Baltimore Orioles vs the long hair, bearded Oakland A's.

Last edited:
Tom: Just got one fron 'Zon - - hope it works okay for my limited use:

Kids got off - - - - the missus has been teary all the rest of the day. Me, too, truth be told. Decided that good therapy would be to spend time with the other daughter. She is doing very well with her guide dog. The two becoming quite the team.

Church this am - - and then quiet day. May try to run trains for a bit. Haven't in almost two weeks.
Good you have a spare daughter around. Just kidding. It was tough when the kids each headed off to college. Then never moved back after to No.Central Wisconsin and seemed to miss them more. The son did Arizona, New York City, Steam Boat Springs, back to Mesa, Arizona and finally Austin, Texas.

I looked at the one you purchased and it’s a good choice. I purchased the one I did because it does have the Continous run switch.
58A2DCF6-5308-4A2E-A584-02C74FB86FF4.png

You will love the better paint mixing.

I would be like sooooo turning that in to the authorities!
The authorities Karl are the USPS in my case. Told them about getting the mail for mom and they said there is nothing they can do to stop it. Basically they can in todays era of computers. But, it’s mail that gets paid for and by stopping it they get less money. No incentive for them to stop delivering

TomO

Good morning all! 57 and overcast heading for 66.

Went with my wife to pick strawberries yesterday and it was quite an experience. Just as we were getting there the dark clouds started rolling in. It started to sprinkle a bit when we got out of the car but we went ahead to start picking. Hadn't been in the field but a couple minutes when the sprinkles turned to torrential rain and high wind. We stuck it out and kept picking until the lightning showed up. At that point it was just us and two other people out there. We all grabbed what we could and headed back to pay. It let up a little as we paid but then it hit hard again.

Our power was out when we got home and it stayed out for a while. Finally came back on and stayed on for a good while and then went off again. The second outage didn't last too long. Once the power was back on again my wife got to work and made around 10 small jars of strawberry freezer jam and two strawberry pies (one for us, one for the kids).

Nothing much planned for today as of now. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken, it is amazing the amount of baking Terry does that never see our freezers or refrigerato. She’ll bake a superb chocolate chip cookie, say six dozen, 72 cookies. She’ll save 8 for us and the rest to the daughter’s family. Zucchini cakes or breads, 1 mini loaf for us 5 regular for the daughter and her neighbors. It’s fine and I shouldn’t eat the stuff anyway but she makes me pistachio muffins. I will get 12 minis but the daughter and her neighbors will get 3.5 dozen full size. It’s not fair.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then I've basically sat on my back side most of the day. Tomorrow, I need to do the last of the mainline track cleaning.

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday.

Hughie- Nice job on the build.

Joe- Thank you.

Terry- I guess a patient is supposed to wait 6 months without a CPAP?

Willie- Nice looking city.

Dave- Thank you.

Guy- Thank you. Looking at your figures I thought about one that I have that is missing a stretched out arm. Looks like something from the Walking Dead :D

Patrick- Interesting to note that I seem to be the only one here that knows to clean the lint trap.

Ken (IL)- Strawberry pie is yummy :).

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back