Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good late Morning All. It has not been a good morning actually. Shortly after I awoke around 0400, I began to feel a shortness of breath. I laid down on the couch and 45 minutes later, I started shivering? I took my blood pressure medication as usual and took my blood pressure, 180/117! Wow! Not good. Then I felt discomfort in the left shoulder and across the top of my chest, not pain, but just discomfort. I immediately popped a nitroglycerine pill, followed by another about ten minutes later and woke up my wife. The discomfort subsided mostly and the other symptoms abated a bit. After a 30 minute drive to the Emergency Room and a bunch of tests and blood draws, they decided that they could find nothing wrong and I was felling better. I was actually felling better about halfway through the trip there.
So the good news is that they released me and sent me home. I already had an appointment tomorrow with the cardiologist, so we'll see what he says. I was already going to schedule an angioplasty with him, hopefully before the end of the month.

I'll catch up with you guys later today.
Willie - rest and take it easy! A little prayer to boost ya coming your way! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

@santafewillie be sure the cardiologist doesn't just look fro enzymes in your blood. It can take a pretty good Myocardial infarction before the enzymes show up.

I remember mowing the grass one October day.. It was unusually cold, and I was mowing with a push mower in a hurry to get done before sundown. I started to get a pain at the base of my throat area, which I thought was just that feeling you get when you exercise heavily in cold air... like the cold air is burning your esophagus. a month or so later, I noticed the same burning sensation when going up a few floors in a stairwell. Then another couple weeks pass, and I start getting them in the middle of the night and decide to go to the ER.

Long story short... I was having mild heart attacks without really any serious pains or otherwise... more like just an acid reflux type pain. And I eat a ton of spicy foods, so I didn't really pay attention until one night the pains got bad enough to go. It took the doctors about 36 hours to decide to do an angiogram. It wasn't until they shot in the dye while watching the blood vessels around my heart that they actually saw the blockage in teh old "widow maker"... My Lower Anterior Descending Artery was 90% blocked. They put in a couple of stents and I have felt like a million bucks ever since. That was 12 years ago.

On a side note.. I was taking HEAVY doses of ibuprofen at the time.. had been for a couple of years. I believe it was the Ibuprofen that led to my heart attack. I was taking 5 Advil at least 3 times a day.

FB_IMG_1652807414503.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started out with Roxie the skunk missing for about 18 hours. We were afraid she got outside which would be a death sentence. I searched the house and garage last night but couldn't find her. This morning I did another search and found her sleeping behind a storage box in the laundry room closet (inside house). I know it was open for a while yesterday, she must of went in and went to sleep behind the storage box then the door got closed. I had to move the box to see her. :D

In other events I fixed Dad's electric chariot (4-wheel scooter) by cleaning the contacts. He couldn't get it to work at VA yesterday. On the train front I put down ground cover and clump foliage to cover the open edges of the painted plaster and a little outward from that. I finalized the buildings positions (penciled them in), drew the road and parking areas and finally put down WS Fine gravel on the road areas. I'll touch it up tomorrow and post a pic then.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

TomO- That is very cool. Congratulations.

Dave- Sounds good. I wasn't trying to tell you what to do, just curious (read nosy). My buddy that lives in Orlando has a 3-level layout so had to do it 3 times in the same physical area.

Karl- Nice looking layout picture.

Chad- Your Dad sounds like mine (89) when it comes to computers. Be careful on ladders and I hope you feel better soon.

Guy- That is really nice.

James- Sounds like fun times coming up. That meme is hilarious. I laughed when I read it.

Willie- That must have been scary. I'm glad they didn't find anything life threatening. Good luck with the cardiologist.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Joe - sometimes blue sky and maybe a distant shaded hillside is the best option
Dave: My overall theme is Fall, and it worked rather well on the Essington module on the opposite side of the layout. This time I overdid the blazing red - orange tree color. I already know that there is no quick fix here, and I already have a solution. Paint it over and continue with the backgrounds of the adjacent modules.

Willie: That's not good. Take care of yourself.

Chad- Your Dad sounds like mine (89) when it comes to computers. Be careful on ladders and I hope you feel better soon.

I am headed over there in about 15-20 minutes to see what his problem is.

He was a software engineer most of his professional life (started out with analog EE in the 60s but quickly moved to SW by the early 70s at latest). But with advanced age, he is not as sharp as he was...

I'm avoiding the ladders today. I'll be back tomorrow on it as I need to get that bit done. I've hated ladders my whole life -- especially extension ladders (vs step/s-frame). But have been up on them a ton this past year :) This is the first real mishap. A few times I thought I was on the last step on a 6' step and stepped down two steps at once. That was fun... But this was the first mishap.

CHAD - Those "2step" ladders are dangerous. I mistakenly bought a couple of them in the past. Certainly glad that you weren't hurt too bad .. I say that because sometimes it takes a while for things to show up. It wouldn't do to have you sidetracked while under construction at this time!

CURT - I like what you have done with the layout - looking really great!
So happy you found Roxy - I had a dachshund, almost 18 YO, die from a heat stroke while I lived in Laughlin, NV. She had a pretty good case of dementia and wandered outside (dog door) not able to find her way back in. Temp was 110 outside! I still think about that all the time.

DAVE - LASM. Haven't said much, but your layout looking reallym great!
You can slow down the setting a little by mixing some dish soap in the mix- just a little because too much will weaken the hydrocal strength.

TomO. Nice article on the mill.

Funny - James !

WILLIE -- I am holding my breath - literally!

CHAD - Those "2step" ladders are dangerous. I mistakenly bought a couple of them in the past. Certainly glad that you weren't hurt too bad .. I say that because sometimes it takes a while for things to show up. It wouldn't do to have you sidetracked while under construction at this time!

CURT - I like what you have done with the layout - looking really great!
So happy you found Roxy - I had a dachshund, almost 18 YO, die from a heat stroke while I lived in Laughlin, NV. She had a pretty good case of dementia and wandered outside (dog door) not able to find her way back in. Temp was 110 outside! I still think about that all the time.

DAVE - LASM. Haven't said much, but your layout looking reallym great!
You can slow down the setting a little by mixing some dish soap in the mix- just a little because too much will weaken the hydrocal strength.

TomO. Nice article on the mill.

Funny - James !

WILLIE -- I am holding my breath - literally!
Sounds good, l will have to try that!

Thank you all very much for all of the well wishes. I think what I experienced this morning was either a false attack, or a real one that I caught with the nitroglycerine just in time. Maybe both. I scoffed when the doctor prescribed the nitro about two weeks ago, but I filled it anyway and I am glad that I had it on hand. I'll never know.

Jeff - I trust my cardiologist quite well. He has been copied on the test results. Thank you for relating your experiences with the burning throat. I had brought that up with two other different doctors who both just said not to miss taking my acid reflux doses, despite me telling them that it was too high in my body. The cardiologist immediately identified it for what it really was, which I later confirmed on the Mayo Clinic website - the only medical website that I fully trust.

I am headed over there in about 15-20 minutes to see what his problem is.

So I did not get his computer fixed. It just ws hung up with slowness no matter what I did until I had to leave. I am going back tonight to spend more time. He said he had "disk full" messages which would lead to this so I am trying to get it responsive enough to clean out downloads folders and all the normal suspects.

SO WHAT IS WRONG AMERICANS OUT THERE???
I had the opportunity to watch a TV in the Emergency Room this morning, I had it tuned to C-Span watching a Congressional hearing. Amidst the backdrop of no baby formula for mothers to use, inflation that is rampant, gas and food prices escalating daily, runaway violent crime in some cities, vehicles that are unobtainable and super expensive, a Southern border that's so open that the Russians could drive a whole army through and a stalled supply chain; I watched a congressional House Committee investigating UFO's?!?!?!?!o_Oo_Oo_O
Is this what we have come to???

I had the opportunity to watch a TV in the Emergency Room this morning, I had it tuned to C-Span watching a Congressional hearing. Amidst the backdrop of no baby formula for mothers to use, inflation that is rampant, gas and food prices escalating daily, runaway violent crime in some cities, vehicles that are unobtainable and super expensive, a Southern border that's so open that the Russians could drive a whole army through and a stalled supply chain; I watched a congressional House Committee investigating UFO's?!?!?!?!o_Oo_Oo_O
I think the occupants of any UFOs would probably lock their doors as they fly by Earth…

aliens.jpg

couldn't resist

Vehicle prices are ridiculous. I was on a web page and an ad on the side was for a local Ford dealer. They have a used (14750 miles) Ford F-350 diesel 4wd 4 door crew cab truck. $97950. Used. That is ridiculous. For something that will depreciate and be worth next to nothing in 10 years or less.

I got my Dodge 2500 Mega Cab with Cummins diesel, brand new, in 2006 for around $38k. That is around $55.4K today according to an inflation calculator. I traded it in 2013 for $28.5k and got a brand new VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and had about $1k in credit left over that the wife wanted to put towards the VW extended warranty (which we later cancelled after the TDI scandal came out). VW later paid me about $25k plus $1k in incentives (visa cash card and vw dealer cash card each of $500) to buy the car back with their diesel scandal.

Almost $100k for a used truck ("2022 pre-owned")????

Anyway

Oh heck yeah. If there's money to be doled out for the study, I'm sure they could budget a few billion $ or so.

Vehicle prices are ridiculous. I was on a web page and an ad on the side was for a local Ford dealer. They have a used (14750 miles) Ford F-350 diesel 4wd 4 door crew cab truck. $97950. Used. That is ridiculous. For something that will depreciate and be worth next to nothing in 10 years or less.

I got my Dodge 2500 Mega Cab with Cummins diesel, brand new, in 2006 for around $38k. That is around $55.4K today according to an inflation calculator. I traded it in 2013 for $28.5k and got a brand new VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and had about $1k in credit left over that the wife wanted to put towards the VW extended warranty (which we later cancelled after the TDI scandal came out). VW later paid me about $25k plus $1k in incentives (visa cash card and vw dealer cash card each of $500) to buy the car back with their diesel scandal.

Almost $100k for a used truck ("2022 pre-owned")????

Anyway
Someone is buying them at that price, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back