Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I wish to say Thank You to everyone who gave me advice on my Mantua 4-6-2. You made the best decision with the information you had. I hope and pray that this will give you more information.
I am 88 years old, have lazy eye syndrome, I Goggled and found no information on how to remove that specific decoder. I have never installed or removed a decoder and before I do that I would I would set it on a track somewhere on my layout just to look at. I really like the way it looks is one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place. Of course if it could head up a consist I would have more happiness. Mantua engines with a die cast boilers and diesels with 8 wheel drive/pick up really pull good!!
Do you have the original box by any chance? It may solve the problem as if it's a factory fitted or DCC Ready loco, you should be able to pull the decoder and insert a blanking plate, which will convert it to DC with no problem, and simple to do.

Good afternoon from a breezey So. Central Wisconsin. The winds of Winter especially the end of December and all of January are back. Steady breeze is 30-40mph with gusts moving items on the deck at 50-60mph. I finally gave up when my diet Dr Pepper moved 4’ on the table away from me but didn’t spill. It is 80f degrees per the WeatherChannel app.

This morning went much easier then I thought it would. Both techs knew I was going to be mostly sedated and were prepared for me. The chauffeur did ask as we were walking out if I was hungry. Well yeah! We tried a new to me place for brunch. Terry had been there last year with the daughter, granddaughter and a couple friends. Food was great, plentiful and when I say expensive it was. Not sure how this place makes it but $49 for BananaFoster brioche French toast with candy roasted pecans and 3 strips of thick cut bacon is not good. Heck the diet Dr Pepper was $4 and only 1 refill was complimentary. The service was impeccable but with tip the bill for 2 was $135.00 and no alcohol. It was full but not suffocating and dinner has full daily reservations for 30 days out. I looked at the dinner menu online and I told Terry we wouldn’t be going for dinner there. She chuckled. Ambiance is upscale diner. We were asked and then reminded a few times by the servers that they were taking reservations only for dinner for the openings in June.

I was trying to relax on the decks outside but all 3 decks here at home are getting pounded by the breezes. Inside now and down in my chair in the cave. Very quiet and peaceful down here. Maybe a nap.

TomO

OK... I'm impressed that
- you're shooting Canon! Which one? EOS Rebel T3/1100D
- you're shooting tethered. That's one of the few things I haven't tried. I assume the larger screen on the laptop helps with focus and DOF? Yes - See below...

I pre-set the camera to Aperture Priority mode and Manual Focus before plugging-in the camera, then click the Live View Shoot button to open the Remote Live View window

CanonEOS_CameraControlPanel.jpg
CanonEOS_RemoteLiveViewWindow.jpg

Since I can't see the viewfinder very clearly on the camera itself while wearing my reading glasses, I really need this remote capability to get a larger thru-the-lens view. (I had to plug-in my camera on the dining room table to get screen captures of the control windows)

Good Afternoon!
Going full bore on the fence job now, so won't be around so much until the project is done. A shed reno was added to the project, and I want to get it all completed and out of my hair. For some reason, I'd rather be working on my layout.
I am going to guess that Guy is getting or got overnight snow.
No snow today, but there is the threat of a storm tonight and in the morning. Weather people don't seem to have a handle on it, so I just wait until I open my eyes in the morning and see what's happening. While working today, my coat was off at noon, and then I was putting it back on at 3:00pm. Snowflakes falling by 3:30. Mostly, it's just squalls.

Willie - I don't go on carnival rides with the kids, lest I throw-up on them.

Trying to build that 52 Ford whenever I have a few moments. Think I have all the repairs and filling done. Tonight I hope to decant and brush on some primer. Primer usually tells me if I'm successful with the repairs or not.
Here it is ready for primer:
52 Ford_05-09-2022.JPG

Dave - That Arkansas rock cabin is purely sweet. What a nice place to visit.

IBKen - That camera set-up is something else; wonderful. Suppose we'll be seeing extra photos from you now. That will be great!!

She's hollering for supper. See you another day!

MedImpact, the Pharmaceutical Benefit Manager that runs the Teamsters Part D Prescription Plan relented, and re-authorized the wife's RINVOQ, for another 12 months. Now, she has to call the Pharmacy and re-order the prescription. The decision was effective 04/29/2022, but we were not notified until today, by snail mail. Wife lost about 14 days of medication, due to the BS. Her Rheumatologist gave her some samples, so she really missed only about 7 days. Totally unnecessary when they knew they would renew the authorization...

I really wasn't ready to jump in, but there are numerous stores in the Columbus area that do RC cars and trucks! Lester, are you able to drive? Get on the phone and contact them, or go in person.
If I knew anything about DCC or circuit boards - I would do it for you. I am sure there are others who would do the same?

Crazy weather here. We had a freeze last week and Thursday supposed to hit 87.
Steve J- welcome to spring in the Upper Midwest.
I do not eat eggs prepared as "eggs" - which is true if one gets the semantics correct:

How you want your eggs, Sunny side up?
Nope
Scrambled?
Nope
Over Easy?
Nope
Omelet
Nope
Boiled?
Nope
Devilled?
Nope
Eggnog?
Oh, heck the Firetruck-in NO! Blech!
(I know I'm forgetting some types, but I don't eat them)

Now, if the eggs are the "binder" in the recipe involving some sort of flour etc, I'm interested. Cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc.
Troy- how about with a fox in red socks?
Here or there?
On a plane or on a train?
Would you, could you in a boat or with a goat?
Have you tried them with a mouse or in a house?

I really wasn't ready to jump in, but there are numerous stores in the Columbus area that do RC cars and trucks! Lester, are you able to drive? Get on the phone and contact them, or go in person.
If I knew anything about DCC or circuit boards - I would do it for you. I am sure there are others who would do the same?
Please give me the names of those stores. Thank You in advance.

First of all I wish to say Thank You to everyone who gave me advice on my Mantua 4-6-2. You made the best decision with the information you had. I hope and pray that this will give you more information.
I am 88 years old, have lazy eye syndrome, I Goggled and found no information on how to remove that specific decoder. I have never installed or removed a decoder and before I do that I would I would set it on a track somewhere on my layout just to look at. I really like the way it looks is one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place. Of course if it could head up a consist I would have more happiness. Mantua engines with a die cast boilers and diesels with 8 wheel drive/pick up really pull good!!
Not sure if it was a Tyco or Mantua or Tyco-Mantua, but as a kid this HO low-nose GP20 was the one locomotive Dad would let me look at, but not touch:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yzY7deENLOA/maxresdefault.jpg

Of course many Grande Fans would say "the Rio Grande didn't have any GP20's," and they would be right...
...but I know a way to get around it. Not tellin' though...yet. :D

So I spent some time on Ebay earlier this evening looking for a N scale low-nose GP20 (any paint--obviously a repaint is in its future), and...well...you can guess some of the rest....

Thanks, Dad, for the inspiration. This is a small, but important part of "the visioN."

[P.S. I kinda like the way it looks too]

Last edited:
Morning all,

On before work again. Currently clear and 75° going for a high of 95+ today. Gotta work on the sprinkler system this next weekend as the leak is going to drive me bats. Appears the plumber who wanted the job didn't come back, so I guess I gotta do it

BBL

Good morning all! Long time, no see! Sorry for my absence the last couple days. Just been busy and haven't been on the computer a lot. Currently overcast and 67 on the way to mostly sunny and 86. Supposed to be up near 90 for at least the next few days.

We were finally able to work in the garden some yesterday evening now that it's dried out mostly from all the rain. I got the tiller attachment hooked up on my tractor and did one row 4 feet wide and about 50 feet or so long just getting things set up, etc. Planning to till up the whole thing over the next day or two after work. While I was doing that, my wife worked in the raised bed garden I built a couple years ago. She planted strawberries in it which we've never done before. Hoping they turn out. raised be I build is 12 feet long and 4 feet wide if memory serves.

Still having issues with the wasps. I know people say not to kill them but it's gotten to the point it's necessary in some areas. They refuse to peacefully co-exist around important areas. They built nests under the hood of my tractor as well as inside one of the flashing light housings on the tractor. They also seem to think they own our new patio, around the house and inside/outside the garage.

Busy week at work. Graduation is Friday so there's a lot going on to prepare. I spent the afternoon working with a couple other employees setting up the equipment to live stream the graduation on YouTube. Looks like everything is working but we're going to do a practice run during graduation practice just to make sure.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning from my world on Wisconsin. The winds of yesterday are gone but not forgotten. The SIL reported already this morning we have a few trees on the trails and all of the ones leading from the house are blocked. We switch off daily who flies the drones for checking the property. We also have a about 30’ of fence line crumbled by a tree. That will be first thing this morning. We must keep the horses within the property.

68f degrees now heading to a possible 88 and could see the 90’s per the weather guesser last night on TV. The WeatherChannel app says a high of 88. The current winds are at 9mph. It will be warm but a calm day, especially compared to the winds (50-60 mph gusts) I posted here yesterday.

The Cardinals, there are 4 that are flying into the window outside Terry’s office and only get stunned. They land on a branch about 4-5’ away and one by one decide to fly into the window. It is annoying at this time of the day.

I have a video conference with my Endocrinologist at 9. I did read my biopsy results online on MyChart yesterday afternoon but since they are written in extreme medical I am waiting for her to translate. It is a bit tougher to read Medical compared to Legal but if I read slowly I usually can figure both out. Terry read it and said “Wait for her”, meaning the doc!

So on the internet for awhile. I cannot help in the property tree clean up. Since I can’t even pick up a gallon a milk moving tree logs and branches is definitely a no-no.

TomO

I have been monitoring the county board of supervisors here for the past couple of months concerning the increase in property taxes. If nothing is adjusted, my property taxes will go up 48% this June.
I've been talking to the neighbors in my small community here but none of them have contacted our district supervisor concerning the taxes. Same with people at church I have talked to. None of the supervisors have received any email, phone call, letter or personal visit from any of the 30,000 residents of the county on this issue. I am absolutely stunned by this; an impending huge increase in property taxes and not a single word out of anybody. One of the common things I've heard from those I have talked to is, what could I possibly influence. Apparently, we have been beaten down so badly that there is no hope of having a voice in government. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back