Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, I need some real dirt. Don't know how I'm going to go down to the creek and get dirt in the winter.
Dirt will be used to edge the asphalt/sidewalk meet line, and I want the parking lot and alleys in real dirt. Dirt has suddenly become a valuable resource.
I suppose that until I can secure proper 'dirt', I'll put together buildings. Six or seven more are required for this module.
One of the best sources of HO layout dirt is a baseball field pitchers mound or at the home plate area. This dirt is usually a fine grain, sifted non-organic dirt. I am not sure where you can find it locally. You might check with a local high school baseball coach.

Not sure how those Proto Throttles are operated. Is it hand held or mounted on a stand?
Either way on the Protothrottles. I have 3 stands on the fascia around the layout. There is a finger wrap on the backside of the throttle. I always wear the lanyard in anticipation of dropping the PT. I like to move with the train so the fascia stands are used mainly as open storage.

tomo

WOW!!! Just seen the news this morning about the siege in Texas. Truly sorry, this guy does not represent the UK in any way. Any act such as this is against everything the UK stands for. Again truly sorry, and apologies to our friends across the pond. :(
The UK will always be our best friend in the world. I would never ever think what he did was representative of the people of the UK.
From all my reading, sounds like the guy had severe mental health issues. His brother made a statement of apology for what the guy did and said he (the hostage taker) had been having mental health problems for some time.

The UK will always be our best friend in the world. I would never ever think what he did was representative of the people of the UK.
From all my reading, sounds like the guy had severe mental health issues. His brother made a statement of apology for what the guy did and said he (the hostage taker) had been having mental health problems for some time.
Sounds like an excuse to me, so his family don't take any blame for his actions, he flew to the US two weeks ago, so where has he been, and there are plenty of synagogues here in the UK he could have targeted. Interestingly they have also arrested two people in the UK in connection with the attack, so I don't think his mental health is an issue as his brother is claiming.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow trainthusiasts! 25 chilly degrees here in SE Illinois with some surprise snow on the ground. The weather prognosticators failed to mention we might get some white stuff falling from the sky. Not much, maybe an inch or two. Supposed to get up to around 34 degrees today.

Super busy day at work yesterday. Seemed like I was constantly on the run from one aisle to the next all day long. My department was a mess when I left and it will be when I get back there this morning since once again we had no closer. I was the only electrical associate scheduled for the entire day, so no one was there to clean things up at closing time. The good news is I have a short day today, just 6 hours. It'll be nice getting home earlier than usual.

The new issue of Running Extra from MRH just came out, so I'll have some fresh reading material today. Haven't started my new Accurail model kit yet. What glue do you all recommend for model assembly? I've heard Gorilla gel glue, but wasn't sure if that was the best option.

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited:
Sounds like an excuse to me, so his family don't take any blame for his actions, he flew to the US two weeks ago, and there are plenty of synagogues here in the UK he could have targeted. Interestingly they have also arrested two people in the UK in connection with the attack
Very good possibility it was just an excuse. Hadn't heard about the two other people arrested. Could be a lot more to this than we've heard.

Greetings fellow train lovers! I have been absent a while - lurking occasionally, but been on a real downer for a while.
Finally finished, signed, and sent off the 2020 tax return and for the first time in 64 years of filing - I had to pay some late charges plus interest - my prior two tax preparers' would have "re-adjusted" things to ditch that, but Spousal Unit just wanted it over with as she thinks they are going to evict us any minute. (she listens to too many scare tactics on TV)
OK - I will fall on the sword for her! She received some CA Unemployment for having to close her salon and did not have ANY taxes withheld. The story she is sticking with is that "they're giving you money - why should you have to be taxed on it too" ...
I cannot fault her reasoning; anyway I had to cough up additional which usually I always have enough paid in ahead to cover the bill. Personally, I feel that anyone over 75 years old should not have to play their silly game - I paid all your Taxes, FICA, Medicare, Self Employment, Workmen Comp, etc. .. leave me alone!.
BEGS another question: What happens to people who are mentally impaired and cannot even remember a "tax return"?

OK - I'll get off my rant now! I have some serious catching up tp do from page 53 already.

COFFEE, FLO, please leave the pot!

TROY -
Sorry I have missed the pizza - looked pretty good. I have been boiling a couple 10 pound packages of chicken quarters to freeze for placing a little on the pups dry food. Of course, now they expect it. If I just place their dry down - they set there and look at me - like, HEY is that it!

Supposed to be 66F for a high today - we had several days of mid 70's which were nice. Threatening clouds, but they passed us by with no droppings?

Later, gang!

WOW!!! Just seen the news this morning about the siege in Texas. Truly sorry, this guy does not represent the UK in any way. Any act such as this is against everything the UK stands for. Again truly sorry, and apologies to our friends across the pond. :(
Interestingly they have also arrested two people in the UK in connection with the attack, so I don't think his mental health is an issue as his brother is claiming.
Very good possibility it was just an excuse. Hadn't heard about the two other people arrested. Could be a lot more to this than we've heard.
Colleyville TX is about 55 miles south of me and here's what the local news media is reporting. Not much! What is known is that all four hostages are safe and uninjured, the kidnapper is dead. It's also been reported that two teens in the UK have been detained. However that is all that is known. Authorities have not released any further information except the kidnappers name. They still have not released any information as to how he died, whether by his own hand or by the FBI swat team. While his brother has posted somewhere regarding his brother's mental health, there is no confirmation of this either.
We shouldn't expect to receive any further information until the FBI's investigation is completed. It had a happier ending than it could have been. The media is not pointing any fingers at the UK.

Good morning gang from the sloppy Northeast!

4-5 inches of snow yesterday, followed by torrential rain last night, followed by more snow this morning, and a very stiff breeze. Road snow/slush covered this morning, but passable.

Willie
it was reported this morning that the kidnappers 2 teenage sons were brought in for questioning by the Brits, not as suspects but as seeking info on their father's actions.

Note to self: Stop drinking that Twisted Tea when on eBay. Nuff said! :oops:

BBL

Colleyville TX is about 55 miles south of me and here's what the local news media is reporting. Not much! What is known is that all four hostages are safe and uninjured, the kidnapper is dead. It's also been reported that two teens in the UK have been detained. However that is all that is known. Authorities have not released any further information except the kidnappers name. They still have not released any information as to how he died, whether by his own hand or by the FBI swat team. While his brother has posted somewhere regarding his brother's mental health, there is no confirmation of this either.
We shouldn't expect to receive any further information until the FBI's investigation is completed. It had a happier ending than it could have been. The media is not pointing any fingers at the UK.
Apparently he was demanding the release of some Pakistani women sentenced to 86 yrs jailtime for planning and assaulting US troops in Afghan, Sadiq???

Morning all,

Made bacon and pancakes this morning with bacon. Did I ever mention I like bacon?

Pictures coming later when I have the internet exclusively. Wife uses the internet to get Amazon gift cards. So it's like she's working.
Weather supposed to be nice today, so we'll see what I get completed.

BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 34°, maybe. That's what my thermometer shows, Weather Underground station a mile away shows 35°. Another one three miles away shows 32° and Accuweather shows 28°. I'll go with my reading. Supposed to warm up to 63°, 75° tomorrow. Yesterday was beautiful at 55°, sunny and no wind. I don't mind shoveling sunshine out of the way to the train shed!;)

Another medical day today for my wife. Today is a follow-up laser session for her cataract surgery last September. It's an in-office visit for 11:30 am. I absolutely hate for her to schedule this kind of stuff for the middle of the day, which she always does. Mostly screws up my morning and shortens my afternoon. I always schedule my stuff for first thing in the morning. Wednesday she goes in for a crown at the dentist for a tooth that she broke in November, a week before she had her last knee surgery. They gave her a temporary filling back then, which was indeed temporary, lasting less than three weeks. At least her knee is improving very well and she should be able to drive herself to the dentist. Me, I believe that except for shortness of breath, I am fully recovered from whatever I was stricken with last week. I have suffered from shortness of breath for over 40 years now but it hasn't always been this bad. I hope to be able to get back to daily one mile walks in a few more days.

As I have posted here before, I don't watch TV except for about 30 minutes of Fox Business each morning. however I see brief glimpses of NFL football as I pass through the living room while games are on. Maybe it's just my timing, but over the last two days, I have seen some really lousy officiating in several games! I have also seen some really poor playing by several teams. No wonder I am hearing numerous expletives emanating from my wife! She can be as bad as a sailor when watching sports.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posting; OB Ken, Louis, Gary, Tom O, Karl, Smudge, George, Guy, Joe, Rick, Jaz, Hughie, Steve J, Tom, Curt, Patrick, Justin.

Anything with bacon this morning Flo. Double BLT with cheese sounds good.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I got those backyard junk detail parts placed.
IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

In the midst of completing the Antiques Barn, I decided that I was going to add lights to it. Since it was already assembled, I just lined the inside walls with black construction paper to keep the light from bleeding through.
IMG_0192.JPG

Then a LED was added.
IMG_0194.JPG

Here's the final product before dull coating and decals/signs.
IMG_0199.JPG

Steve J - Three weeks, yikes! I hope that she gets better soon.
Smudge - Cheese in a spray can I do not consider to be real food.
I have seen older pictures of that type of tanker at the end of steam driven trains from years ago. They used them to douse smoldering spots from ejected embers along the right of way in mostly mountainous regions.
Apparently he was demanding the release of some Pakistani women sentenced to 86 yrs jailtime for planning and assaulting US troops in Afghan, Sadiq???
While she was mentioned by the hostage taker, she has disavowed him.
Karl - I am leaving the barn yellow, simply because that's the predominant color of two antiques barns in this area. Real barns around here are all red or corrugated metal.
Terry -
If he has an issue remembering his logon credentials, all he (or anybody else) needs to do is click the "contact us" button at the bottom of any (every) page, and somebody can give him help. I'm the admin at the railroad forum, but here, I, and everybody except Bob, are moderators, and we can't do much to help.
Could it be that because he has re-registered so many times from the same IP address that the forum software considers him to be a spammer??

If you care, today's Michelle Obama's birthday.
Everybody have a great day otherwise. Stay warm and safe.

Good morning: 39°, and cloudy. Overnight, the temperature climbed to 48° before dropping back into the upper 30s. We had 1.52" of rain recorded at the Rutgers University weather station. No snow...that was good, the East wind...at one point, I thought it was going to push the wall in. One would think the neighbors house would have blocked some of that wind....but no...wind seemed worse tan "Sandy", although it wasn't anywhere near as bad. But when one awakens from a sound sleep to hear the wind banging on the side of the house...the mind thinks scary thoughts.

I have two priorities for today, 1. set up the permanent DCC program track, and 2. finish my preliminary 2021 income tax return. Purpose: to insure I have sent the Treasury enough money to cover my taxes. the 4th Quarter 1040 ES is due tomorrow. I don't like paying penalties for insufficient withholding and estimated taxes...
What happens to people who are mentally impaired and cannot even remember a "tax return"?
Sherrel: Good question...I guess the family, or POA is responsible on their behalf. OTOH, someone in that condition has few assets left to attach, and considering the cost of Long Term Care, no money to pay.

Willie: The "Antiques" Barn is coming along nicely. Like the back yard junk scene also. On my layout, the junk would be dumped along the RR ROW, to conform with the prototype.

Catch y'all later.

Good Morning All. Clear and 34°, maybe. That's what my thermometer shows, Weather Underground station a mile away shows 35°. Another one three miles away shows 32° and Accuweather shows 28°. I'll go with my reading. Supposed to warm up to 63°, 75° tomorrow. Yesterday was beautiful at 55°, sunny and no wind. I don't mind shoveling sunshine out of the way to the train shed!;)

Another medical day today for my wife. Today is a follow-up laser session for her cataract surgery last September. It's an in-office visit for 11:30 am. I absolutely hate for her to schedule this kind of stuff for the middle of the day, which she always does. Mostly screws up my morning and shortens my afternoon. I always schedule my stuff for first thing in the morning. Wednesday she goes in for a crown at the dentist for a tooth that she broke in November, a week before she had her last knee surgery. They gave her a temporary filling back then, which was indeed temporary, lasting less than three weeks. At least her knee is improving very well and she should be able to drive herself to the dentist. Me, I believe that except for shortness of breath, I am fully recovered from whatever I was stricken with last week. I have suffered from shortness of breath for over 40 years now but it hasn't always been this bad. I hope to be able to get back to daily one mile walks in a few more days.

As I have posted here before, I don't watch TV except for about 30 minutes of Fox Business each morning. however I see brief glimpses of NFL football as I pass through the living room while games are on. Maybe it's just my timing, but over the last two days, I have seen some really lousy officiating in several games! I have also seen some really poor playing by several teams. No wonder I am hearing numerous expletives emanating from my wife! She can be as bad as a sailor when watching sports.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posting; OB Ken, Louis, Gary, Tom O, Karl, Smudge, George, Guy, Joe, Rick, Jaz, Hughie, Steve J, Tom, Curt, Patrick, Justin.

View attachment 138925
View attachment 138926
In the midst of completing the Antiques Barn, I decided that I was going to add lights to it. Since it was already assembled, I just lined the inside walls with black construction paper to keep the light from bleeding through.
View attachment 138927
Then a LED was added.
View attachment 138928
View attachment 138929

I have seen older pictures of that type of tanker at the end of steam driven trains from years ago. They used them to douse smoldering spots from ejected embers along the right of way in mostly mountainous regions.

Karl - I am leaving the barn yellow, simply because that's the predominant color of two antiques barns in this area. Real barns around here are all red or corrugated metal.
Terry -

Could it be that because he has re-registered so many times from the same IP address that the forum software considers him to be a spammer??

Yes, I'm aware her lawyers have denied any connection between them, which is probably true, as a convicted terrorist all visit's and communications would be tightly monitored, so if there were a paper trail, it would be pointless to deny it.
Hope all goes well with your other half at the dentist
Good luck with the tax return too.
Programming track can be a pain, but I doubt it will take you long, depends how hot the coffee is. :)
As for the water tanker, if I see one up for sale in the UK I'll buy it, nice addition to my US freight, and unusual too.

Last edited:
Hi again, folks!
I'll be away on the childcare job all week, so I'm posting twice today!

Curt - Thankyou. The grit of the sandpaper is face-up. There is 3 coats of paint on it; spray-bomb primer and two coats finish brushed. With all that paint, I can't see the grit anymore. I can feel it, though.
The sandpaper asphalt is an experiment, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It looks ok, but, I believe it's going to be difficult to keep clean. It already attracts dog hairs that arn't easy to get off. The grit grabs onto stuff. I'm happy with it at this point, though.
Here's a photo of the glued down and final painted effect:
View attachment 138909
Not sure if I'm going to redo the front sidewalk with a different material. I'm taking a chance that the balsa wood sidewalk won't stand up. I'm going to think on that.
Anyway, those are the colours I'm using. Asphalt is 1 part charcoal and 3 parts rust-oleum country grey. Sidewalk is rust-oleum 'Aged Grey'. If I use that sidewalk, I intend to finish it with a light application of artist oils; probably green, yellow ocher and burn't sienna. - I'm a complicated person.

Plus, I need some real dirt. Don't know how I'm going to go down to the creek and get dirt in the winter.
Dirt will be used to edge the asphalt/sidewalk meet line, and I want the parking lot and alleys in real dirt. Dirt has suddenly become a valuable resource.
I suppose that until I can secure proper 'dirt', I'll put together buildings. Six or seven more are required for this module.

When I get talking, I can sure flap-on, eh! I'd better grab a coffee and do something else with my big mouth.
Have a great week! I'll be acting as a set of monkey-bars for toddlers to climb on.
Wouldn't Emery paper or wet and dry sandpaper work better, need less paint, and it's finer, but would give a similar effect, wouldn't attract the dirt or dog hairs so much.

View attachment 138925
View attachment 138926
View attachment 138927
Then a LED was added.
View attachment 138928
View attachment 138929

Terry -

What you say about christian could be correct, if he's made too many attempts to log on it's certainty possible. One of our more knowledgeable members will probably know the answer.

Good morning from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. The grandkids are coming down at 9 to spend the day with us. Dad and mom are in their offices working away feverously with the jobs. All that still pisses me off but I am getting closer to letting it go, just not there yet.

Yesterday was a wasteland of too much TV football. I now have watched in this 17 days of 2022 more NFL football then I most likely had totally combined for 2018-2020. Sorry Texans but I rooted for Mike McCarthy to do well in season but against the “boys” yesterday. Always good to see Jerry Jones upset. But in a good old American tradition it was the referees vault. Pathetic excuses for stupid play calling and …

Time on the layout was minimal yesterday as I put some items up for sale on Facebook and they moved very fast. 2 of my 3 ProtoThrottles are gone but because today is a Postal Holiday they will ship tomorrow. 1st time ever, PayPal is holding my payments until I post tracking numbers or 2/6/2022 whichever comes 1st. I got 4 $70.00 payments but the ones over $400 each are being held. I am sort of pissed but nothing I can do except follow the requests. Sold one of 2 old forgotten brass steam locomotives. The second one I have to open up and see why it didn’t work. Probably gummed up gears from dried lube. Maybe today. Finally regarding sales, i had 6 remaining Athearn BB GP35’s I have tried to sell on and off for years. Yesterday, a modeler reached out and asked if I still had them, yep. He made a great offer on 4 of them. The other 2 May go into a railroad museum. Both are BB bodies and 1 has the Athearn drive, the other has a Hobbytown drive that when working well could pull a bumper off a truck. Strange day selling yesterday after such adry spell since Christmas.

Hopefully some games with the kids today and then slot car racing. No pool as the re-filling process ended last night and the water temperature at 6am this morning was at 60. Plus it needs filtering. It’s a salt water pool so it will warm up rather quick but not enough to be used today.

Njoy your day
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back