Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
As this is single truck drive I'm not sure the drive spline would fit, plus it has a wierd mounting unlike the Athearns, so I doubt changing the drive truck as well would work either, but thanks, it's certainly worth taking a look at.
I was suggesting replcaing the entire frame and drive. you'd have a better, more reliable drive, easier to find parts in the future.

Afternoon All,

Did a couple of chores then added "window glass and sashes" to the front office. After that I painted the sidewalk that the office sits on. Lastly, I glued the office 4 walls together and clamped them. Of course, I'm missing 2 of my lightweight clamps. I think a friend of MOH has them buried in her hoarder house somewhere. It'll be easier and quicker just to go out and buy 2 more. I'm starting to feel bad with a scratchy throat, stuffy head and fatigue. I'm almost positive it's not Covid since I was just tested negative. I have the 3 jabs + the flu shot.

Thank you for the likes for the photos yesterday.

TomO- WOW! 2 turntables, that means you're turntable rich:D. Nice layout scenes.

Troy- I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Ken D&J- Nice looking rail car.

Steve- I hope your wife feels better soon. I don't know if it was on here or not, but I read somewhere that the current flu is taking 4 weeks to get over.

Willie- Nice start to the barn.

Smudge- I really like jagerschnitzel. I started eating it as a teenager in the FRG in the early 1970's. Dad was stationed with an air defense unit there then.

Karl- I look forward to seeing a video of your new RS3.

Gary- That's what I did with my rail crane and snowplow.

Guy- Thank you. I'm interested in how you are doing your roads. Does the grit stand out when glued down or is that face down?

Joe- You should post progress photos. We love photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon from Wisconsin. Just came in from a short walk. 20 degrees feels like 18. Both rather warm for what we experienced earlier this week. But it felt cold as it seems damp out. Not sure if we get the snow the TV guys were predicting. 3” in Wisconsin is nothing but the media tries to rile everyone.

Put one of my 3 ProtoThrottle online for sale around 11am. Sold it in under 10 minutes and had enough offers I sold a second one. Since I am thinning the herd, mainly rolling stock, the Throttles fit into the scheme of eliminating things. No need for 3 as we have not held a operating session since 2/2020 and Terry when she joins me can use the remaining one. I can use the ESU controller. I am ok with it.

31-0 Tampa Bay with 4 minutes in the 3rd to go. Sad Eagles team.

TomO

Afternoon all,

Spent a good chunk of the day yesterday blowing up a bridge and then rebuilding it, only to rethink it in the middle of the night. I'll post pictures tomorrow and maybe steal some ideas.
It was cold and snowy yesterday. We amassed a whopping 1/3" of powdery light snow. Took 8 hours to accumulate that. Fortunately, we didn't get the rain ahead of it, so other than other than the cold wind, roads were good.

Grandson with Covid doing well. No fever, but isolated to his room. Poor kid has an X-box, Nintendo Switch, 42" tv, Legos, books, etc. He's doing ok...lol If only I had that much in my room if I quarantined. Mom puts his meals on a tray outside, and he puts the empty tray out.

Kind of a sleepy day today. Not sure why I'm so tired, but gotta have one periodically. Off tomorrow for the Holiday. Wife has to work for 3 hours as the daycare is closed, but they decided to use 3 hours tomorrow and Wednesday to have staff meetings.

Avery nice day today. Got up to 30 no wind and full sun, the calm before the storm. Clouds moving in ahead of the storm made for a nice sunset.
IMG_4701.jpg

Hi again, folks!
I'll be away on the childcare job all week, so I'm posting twice today!
I'm interested in how you are doing your roads. Does the grit stand out when glued down or is that face down?
Curt - Thankyou. The grit of the sandpaper is face-up. There is 3 coats of paint on it; spray-bomb primer and two coats finish brushed. With all that paint, I can't see the grit anymore. I can feel it, though.
The sandpaper asphalt is an experiment, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It looks ok, but, I believe it's going to be difficult to keep clean. It already attracts dog hairs that arn't easy to get off. The grit grabs onto stuff. I'm happy with it at this point, though.
Here's a photo of the glued down and final painted effect:
Layout_01-16-2022 (1).jpg

Not sure if I'm going to redo the front sidewalk with a different material. I'm taking a chance that the balsa wood sidewalk won't stand up. I'm going to think on that.
Anyway, those are the colours I'm using. Asphalt is 1 part charcoal and 3 parts rust-oleum country grey. Sidewalk is rust-oleum 'Aged Grey'. If I use that sidewalk, I intend to finish it with a light application of artist oils; probably green, yellow ocher and burn't sienna. - I'm a complicated person.

Plus, I need some real dirt. Don't know how I'm going to go down to the creek and get dirt in the winter.
Dirt will be used to edge the asphalt/sidewalk meet line, and I want the parking lot and alleys in real dirt. Dirt has suddenly become a valuable resource.
I suppose that until I can secure proper 'dirt', I'll put together buildings. Six or seven more are required for this module.

When I get talking, I can sure flap-on, eh! I'd better grab a coffee and do something else with my big mouth.
Have a great week! I'll be acting as a set of monkey-bars for toddlers to climb on.

Blast and B'garn!!!

Bought some Caboose throws for my Micro Engineering C70 ladder system TOs. Got the ones with several choices of attachments to hook to various manufacturer's TO throwbars, including ME. But it does not fit. so was carefully using my pin vise to drill out the hole. I have an old TO that went kerflooey so used that for a test run. Perfectissimo!! So went live action. Thinks to myself, "I am fresh, let's do the toughest reach TO first." Hilarious results ensue.

Except not. Put pressure to the pin vise and the bloody throwbar BREAKS!! Breaks! And breaks such that the throwbar no longer holds the point rails, nuch less in gauge. The TO is now useless and must be extruded and replaced. Unless someone has an idea on how to fix it. And of course, there is not one left in the universe. And least not that I have yet found. I'll run by LHS Tuesday and check [ugh] Ebay. But now, time for a whisky. Maybe two.

Steve J

On a better front - got the track glued down that will be combo program track and fill track for the eventual coaling tower. That went well. I will wire it up this week via a on-off-on DPDT toggle so that I can isolate and select it for program or track power.

Cheers all!

I'm starting to feel bad with a scratchy throat, stuffy head and fatigue. I'm almost positive it's not Covid since I was just tested negative. I have the 3 jabs + the flu shot.
Curt: Contrary to "popular" opinion, there are numerous "bugs" flying about. Take care, and be careful...they all show similar symptoms.

On a better front - got the track glued down that will be combo program track and fill track for the eventual coaling tower. That went well. I will wire it up this week via a on-off-on DPDT toggle so that I can isolate and select it for program or track power.
Steve: That reminds me, I need to set up a program track ASAP. Somewhere close to the power supply. I just don't like programing on the main.

Put pressure to the pin vise and the bloody throwbar BREAKS!! Breaks! And breaks such that the throwbar no longer holds the point rails, nuch less in gauge.
Steve: Been there, done that. Last time I drilled out the throwbar, I used the Dremel, and supported the bar from the bottom. with a wedge. For some reason, I exert less pressure from the power tool, than I do using a pin vise. BTW, At least one internet supplier, I forget who, has ME switches on "pre-order", so apparently they are planning to produce more.
The points don't have to be in gauge. They just have to move to make contact with the stock rail.
Ken: This is true, but that doesn't resolve Steve's broken throwbar problem. I changed one on an Atlas C-83 switch, but ME Code 70 is a bit more delicate.

We escaped the snow, it's now 34°, and raining with a stiff East wind. Temperature is projected to rise throughout the night, with tomorrows high temperature occurring after midnight. Now, they are saying the rain will last most of the day tomorrow. Doesn't matter, I'm not planning on going anywhere.

So I tried out the Broadway Limited loco, not sure where the brand sits with you guys as far as quality, but from my perspective think these guys have found a buyer for life, really love that loco. Smoothest runner I have ever had by far…. Unfortunately I think I have to update to a better DCC system, thought this EZ Dynamis would be perfect for me, but seems pretty limited and not of the greatest quality. Gonna seriously limit further purchases until track is running, have everything to get it done except track bed, save up for a better system. Anyone think one brand of controller is better than the other let me know pros and cons so I can decide and set a goal on the cash I need to purchase, please and thanks😉

So I tried out the Broadway Limited loco, not sure where the brand sits with you guys as far as quality, but from my perspective think these guys have found a buyer for life, really love that loco. Smoothest runner I have ever had by far…. Unfortunately I think I have to update to a better DCC system, thought this EZ Dynamis would be perfect for me, but seems pretty limited and not of the greatest quality. Gonna seriously limit further purchases until track is running, have everything to get it done except track bed, save up for a better system. Anyone think one brand of controller is better than the other let me know pros and cons so I can decide and set a goal on the cash I need to purchase, please and thanks😉
I've only got 1 BLI Loco, a reading T1 in AFT livery.
BLI_4-8-4_RDG_American_Freedom.jpg

Runs and sounds as good as it looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back