Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh a green felt cover and lay on top,we could all throw ideas how you can do a magician whip the table cloth off back to table and how to get sone bang for your buck on a layout, I. Like this because so many people have this exact issue.

What options do you have

track wise
building wise - if any
and green fluff for scattered bushes so you can scoop them up quick, and do you have access to horse hair
a green felt cover could cost money, an old green table cloth, or an old grubby one with sone green dye, do not do it in the bath tub but in a bucket.
a piece of cardboard that you can fold then add paper which you paint a pale blue
some soil, real soil very dry for a light scatter by the tracks
a few twigs, not for trees you cannot ground them but just a small wood pile
do you have any figures, or almost appropriate cars 🚘 a four wheeler or two likely the best choice
ok a start,and if you have stuff we can up the game, but we are looking for something that goes in a cardboard box, so you can get to it all fast and tidy it fast, and you can let any kids help pop it out on the table.
We can even look at a broken down little shack.
Last but not least do you have any solid piece of old packing foam we can cut a couple of gentle slopes, hills out of for the edges.

I think this a great project making a basic layout set, this could go on a dining table for a short while, you just need to ensure no mess once you withdraw, thus the other half has no reason to be anti about the odd play time.

weetabix roof, on a card base, thin plastic building, painted windows,basic scratchbuild, we just need to know how high or low to aim for.
I have all kinds of stuff! Accessories, buildings, cars trucks, rolling stock and much more.
I have all kinds of stuff with no original boxes. My thought was store those things with no boxes under the table. I'll use what ever strikes my fancy. 😉
I thought I could just use a green table cloth over cork or just plain cork.
I'm not interested in doing scenery, I have near zero creativity or artistic ability. I have not and don't plan on building anything from scratch.
I'll be happy with tracks and trains. Anything more will be a bonus.

Thanks for thinking of me, its very kind of you.

Correction, starts May, covid permitting, one match a day, if you get a chance, catch a game, you might be surprised.
When I still had cable, one of the throw-in channels in my sports package was a channel called "Willow", which showed Indian (and other Commonwealth) Cricket games 24 - 7. Never quite grasped the finer points of the game, but used to be amused by the Umpires. International competition between India, Australia and New Zealand was serious business, very formal. Same with South Africa.

I survived my excursion to ShopRite, second week of "Can-Can", and they are way behind in restocking shelves...Only three checkers opened. Enough canned soup and pasta to last the rest of the year. There is a reason we don't shop there on a regular basis, even though they are the closest. And it's not price...

Going to spend some time in the train room in a bit. Updated tracking indicates mt package may make it from Queens to My front door, by tomorrow, (instead of Friday.
I'll have to look for them the next time I go to the Trader Joe's near me. It's actually difficult to buy unsweetened shredded wheat, (bite size), other than private label. "Shreddies" used to be made at the old "Ranger Joe" factory near Thurlow Yard, and the folks at Nabisco used to send care packages. Now, that brand is only available in Canada. Plenty of sweetened, bite sized, name brand product available, but unsweetened is hard to find.

Capitol Limited #6 WT August 1959.jpg

B&O Capitol Limited in Washington in 1959, while it was technically still All Pullman.

I worked in an IT deparment, In the city of London,as a secretary to the head of department, anyone caught telling someone to turn computer off and on to sort a problem did not last long,and one where the woman could not find the off button because the electricity was off is now an urban legend, I saved my bosses bacon not long after I started as the directors wanted to use the old video conferencing and everyone was clueless, but I. Knew how to use it so I monitored the international call, and too one tech support with me to teach them how,staff turn over was so high I ended up training four, so I wrote out a how to do it, not long after they found the manual,which proved I knew the system pretty well. I did back up log calls on help desk, and helped with various small software jobs,but had no qualifications or overall knowledge just small bits here and there as required to help. I was dandy on how to use the printers and photocopiers etc that were controlled by the pcs, and my boss often sent me out to show a secretary how to use the kit,or occasionally cover for the top bosses,always being told anything strategic I saw about the group or companies was to be swiftly forgotten when I went back to my job.
We did have one outage issue which drove our team bonkers, I mentioned to my other half and he came for a drink at the pub a day or so later and pointed out to them that either or both were possible a) the heat on either side of the building or b)the lift, it did turn out the lift was the issue,but they had to move the servers and make a single room with basically a faraday cage,and when it came to bonus that year I got a good one and my boss said that although I had earned my bonus it was bumped to reflect the invaluable help my other half offered, a year or so later they had a problem with the NT servers and one of lads came and asked if he would solve that, and he did. They did ask if he wanted a job,but he was a,easy well paid and looking to get out of hid area as he said every man and his dog was moving in as training became cheaper, he side stepped into a better area and sort of done that since,it gets to be a smaller and smaller part though. he once worked for a well known computer company and when he left and took his qualifications with him they lost their Microsoft platinum and had to quickly train several people to get the 19 qualifications replaced, I think it took them over a month lol, this being in the days when those skills were not 99 a penny.They did not advertise the fact.…..quick wave to Troy :D
At home if I touch or change a setting I would never hear the end of it, hell I’m lucky to get near the tv remote…sniggers.
I count two returns in there?

IF there hadn't been a :D next to my name, I would have scrolled on by. I skim read when the text is like that, and would have never noticed.

Well, Howdy There internet people, and those without computers.

It's Troy again.

A few updates:
Brain kicked in at 2:30 am... I started 3d print going right before bedtime - after it failed twice before. Brain said to go check on it.

At 12 inches tall, he's a tad big for my N Scale layout, but he's kinda cute

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.55.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.56.05 PM.png

The hat and body are two separate files. Body took 29.5 hours. Hat took 17 hours and two false starts.

While I was up, I outlined the last five chapters in the latest book. Now I just need to write them.

After a morning nap to catch back up with sleep, I headed to the grocery. I knew we were low on pancake syrup, and I wasn't sure which one to get? Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.56.16 PM.png

gotta run. those chapters aren't writing themselves.

Good from Wisconsin. It is cold +2f degrees but -18 with wind chill. The winds are steady at 13mph but gusts are into the high 20’s. Not a nice day out with those winds.

Trying to fix a brass bed and 2 of its posts. The round balls on top were leaning to the side and I have pulled them off. Now I am cleaning old epoxy from the bolts and will see what I can do to salvage this. Bed was purchased in 1976 right after our wedding. Was used nightly until about 2008 when we replac3d it and moved it to the guest quarters.

Trains this morning and maybe some this afternoon. I have a dietitian appointment along with Terry to re-learn how to eat. My blood glucose levels have been all over the place lately and yesterday I had my 3rd low glucose level event this January. I normally might have 2 or 3 a year. Time to learn again. Lots of factors go into diabetes management and my lack of sleep is a major cause but eating can be fixed quickly, so Terry is coming along to learn also.

Terry was looking through the Wisconsin business news. One of my brother’s companies in Marshfield Wi got sold to Exact Sciences here in the Madison area. He never mentioned it as the deal was signed New Years Eve. Doesn’t close until February so maybe he didn’t want to jink it. I sent him an email as it’s 4am on Maui and he is usually up now. No response yet. I hope he helps out the 2 nieces and nephew as he can’t do anything else with the money.

Enjoy the day
TomO

going to be building pulp loads over the next couple weeks. With 3 more pulp cars arriving today per USPS tracking I think I am at 44 or 45. I think 30 removable loads will work out. On the layout 12 will suffice. I plan to weather and sell the rest.

53FDB719-2498-4DF7-9C03-8459632364A4.jpeg

When I still had cable, one of the throw-in channels in my sports package was a channel called "Willow", which showed Indian (and other Commonwealth) Cricket games 24 - 7. Never quite grasped the finer points of the game, but used to be amused by the Umpires. International competition between India, Australia and New Zealand was serious business, very formal. Same with South Africa.
The IPL is nothing like you've seen before, cheerleaders, music, smoke flares, and the crowd makes more noise than at a Superbowl game.

Sorry to hear you are blue. Many of us have affection for the fallen flags. The good news is in our worlds we can have any road name. In my mind CSX, Chessie and the B&O are all operating. Same goes for Conrail, Penn Central and the PRR, even the New York Central!

I forgot to thank you for the information about Mag wheels, I never put that together, now I know. 😁 Magnesium - Mag Doh! My favorite was the Keystone Classic.
I'm sorry you have the blues, but look on the bright side, at least no ones calling you Pappy Smurf 🤣

Well, Howdy There internet people, and those without computers.

It's Troy again.

A few updates:
Brain kicked in at 2:30 am... I started 3d print going right before bedtime - after it failed twice before. Brain said to go check on it.

At 12 inches tall, he's a tad big for my N Scale layout, but he's kinda cute

View attachment 138638View attachment 138639

The hat and body are two separate files. Body took 29.5 hours. Hat took 17 hours and two false starts.

While I was up, I outlined the last five chapters in the latest book. Now I just need to write them.

After a morning nap to catch back up with sleep, I headed to the grocery. I knew we were low on pancake syrup, and I wasn't sure which one to get? Any suggestions?

View attachment 138640

gotta run. those chapters aren't writing themselves.
Go for the low sodium version, for your blood pressure.
while you’re shopping, grab an extra case of TP, you’ll probably need it after a round of pancakes.

Afternoon All,

Started out with a couple of small outside chores then MOH decided "we" needed to go to Sams Club. It seems like we bought more for daughter than ourselves. At least she will reimburse us (pet stuff). In the train room I gave the walls (interior) a coat of Tamiya flat black acrylic paint. Tomorrow I'll put a coat of A&I on the exterior walls.

Sherrel- I'm right there with you about computers. That's funny.

Joe- Nice job on the paint removal. Nice 1:1 photo. Talking of shredded wheat, my dad likes it fried in butter...shudder.

Jaz- Very nice modeling. I really like the thatched roof ( not sure if it's called that). Love the dogs.

Toot- Sad news.

Karl- Nice layout shot.

Jerry- Congrats on retirement.

Patrick- I have not put together a Westerfield kit, but I believe they are resin kits. I have made 4 F&C resin kits. They are a whole different thing from kits like Accurail. They have excellent detailing. My best advice is go slow and be meticulous. You will most likely need to purchase trucks, wheels, and couplers separately.

Willie- Nice photos.

Tom- I hope you and your wife feel better soon.

TomO- NIce 1:1 photo.

20220111_142433.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, I gotta pay attention to the time these stupid auctions end. I misread that it ended at 10:39 PST. Since all previous auctions had been in the evening hours, it turned out to be 10:39a PST so the auction ended while I was at lunch. Last minutes bidders took them higher than I wanted anyway. So I lost again...

Good news is more money for the train show in 4 weeks (Feb5&6). But then I'll probably forget...

Good Morning all!

28F and somewhat clear. Still have about 18" white on the ground. Weather guesser says light snow today, then none in site for for a week or so with temps above freezing for the next week .. we will see.

Computers - are they not the spice in life? Ya either love or hate them; although you use them in some form or another each and every day. When I was at FMFPAC just before we merged with CINCPAC we had an Sperry ( Univac ) 9000 for communication. No disk drives, had card, paper tape reader, mag tape and a modem. Modem spec'd at 300 baud and was half the size of todays normal refer. Want to transmit stuff? Had to set rocker switches ( Binary ) for that, Read mag tape, nother code entered. When we merged with CINCPAC, they had a Sperry 1004 - that one you had to power it down, then swap out a 3ft x 3ft wirewrap board to transmit, then put the other back in to receive. They were constructing a new comm center with an RCA Spectra 70 - the thing would probably almost fit in your house. Had multiple disks, tapes, mass storage unit and printers AND a real console you could sit at and start ( and end ) programs. The mass storage unit was the fun one, had mag cards about 4" by 14" kept in slots. Was something like 100 slots, with 10 or so cards each. Cards held about 2K each, you do the math. Kept 12 - 15 guys/gals busy during a shift processing 5 to 10K messages a day. CINCPAC had all service branches and of course being USMC I got to start at the bottom again. They upgraded to LDMX when Sperry bought out RCA and the thing was called an LDMX 7045. Machine like it was featured on the original Andromeda Strain. Got to CINCPACFLT a couple of times to help with crypto and some coding. The first time there I got to see a really early Univac. Don't remember the model number just now. It was a wall of metal with the console in the middle and 2 doors, one the right and one to the left. You actually went inside to do repairs/upgrades. Had about 15K tubes and was really quite warm. The used it to cool some of the base using heat exchangers. I guess doing all that started me in the computer business - coding at first, then hardware followed. Code was Assembly and Cobal D. Didn't do RPG as it made no sense ( still doesn't ) to me. Besides solder, Assembly is still my favorite programming language. Had a Hawaiian GS12 ( i think ) that taught me Cobal and I still use one of the error strings he used - 'search no find'. I am surprised that I don't remember his name, but I can still see him wading through pages and pages of source code.

Enjoy your day!
When I first started college I temped in the holidays,usually reception with and answering telephones, I was always polite, rang first thing Monday for work,on time,if I hated a job I asked to be replaced Friday,never walked off a job,told them asap if sick,this all led to me getting the cream jobs,one time I was sent to Pinewood Studios and there switchboard was a really ancient dolls eye which was museum standard, you had wires in your hand to connect the calls and if you accidentally rested the metal on the edge you could hear both ends chatting.

I have all kinds of stuff! Accessories, buildings, cars trucks, rolling stock and much more.
I have all kinds of stuff with no original boxes. My thought was store those things with no boxes under the table. I'll use what ever strikes my fancy. 😉
I thought I could just use a green table cloth over cork or just plain cork.
I'm not interested in doing scenery, I have near zero creativity or artistic ability. I have not and don't plan on building anything from scratch.
I'll be happy with tracks and trains. Anything more will be a bonus.

Thanks for thinking of me, its very kind of you.
You and my brother both, he likes his train set as was his childhood one, and barring his antics with the cat food in a wagon, I believe his Roman soldiers a classy large set of metal painted bunch with loads of working weapons catapults etc are not above hitting the mat at the same time, I do not think he has damaged any of the train set, artistic ability is not a requisite for this hobby, and we all do our own thing, it was he who gifted my the dr Dalek,cyber men and others, he gifted me the airfix animals, and when in charity shops if he sees manuals or stuff he is not above adding to my collection,he did once under supervision help name a credible tree,but he said it was fun at mine but he had no intention of repeating it at home, horses 🐴 for courses,and we are all entitled to enjoy our hobby as we prefer, and I loved your polar expresss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back