Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Widow, that is my kind of superhero!
1641765696776.png

And it was a great movie!

Women make almost everything better and they can do may things better than men.

My wife is my favorite superhero, she never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out this morning going to breakfast and feeling bloated until just recently, and I didn't even eat all of it. Then the wife and I took Dad to get a winter coat and a couple of flannel shirts for his trip to Ohio next month. I had no energy for modeling today so I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Thank you all for the likes on my photo yesterday.

Smudge- I have done something similar several times...sigh.

Justin- Nice set of hoppers.

Karl- Can you charge the camera through your computer via USB cable?

IB Ken- I'm glad your daughter is doing better.

TomO- I sympathize with your change of plans. Great photos. The spread over the rails look realistic but I imagine makes it hard keeping cars on the track.

Joe- Nice photo.

Sherrel- Best wishes for your family.

This is a video that shows how you fire up a steam locomotive. It's long at 37 minutes but I was fascinated by it.

I hope everyone has a good night.
In the vid,that was my job for a while, back breaking it was too, but one of the best jobs I ever had, so much, I didn't get paid to do it either. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

I've tried watching hockey on tv and just never could quite get into it. So hard to follow along because the game is so fast paced. Doesn't help that I don't know the rules. I think I'd like it if I knew what the heck was going on.
Seeing the game in person versus on TV are completely different. I love the game especially the NHL and NCAA Womens game. If you go the 1st time go with someone who can explain the game.

TomO

I agree, a game is a game, it's meant to be interesting, but above all FUN, too many people take it way too seriously and get annoyed/angry if they don't win, I have no time for them.

I went to an organised "sports day" years ago, took part in the three legged race for a laugh, (I only have one), and we won the race, (I took my prosthetic leg off and gave it to my partner), she ran the race, some people took it as cheating and got very upset.

I didn't make it any better when I pointed out that nowhere in the "rules" did it say the rest of my body had to run the race as well, it was a laugh, nothing more. 🤣 🤣
Although I guess it was not in the spirit,I would have burst out laughing,and awarded her the win if she ran fast enough,and yes it is supposedly in fun so some needs a chill pill.especially in front of kids.

Good morning from what will again be the frozen tundra area of Wisconsin. Temperatures are dropping to single digits and wind chills will stay way below 0 for later today and all of Monday. A couple great days for modeling but having already been cooped up it maybe not enough.

I watched parts of the Dallas/Eagle game while moving from the train room to the TV area. Good game before 1/2 time. I missed the Dallas scoring explosion in the 2nd half. Still don’t understand Mike formerly of Green Bay keeping his QB in so long.

TomO
View attachment 138451View attachment 138452View attachment 138453
Some excellent shots

Yes Jodie Whittaker as Dr Who, NO, scripts are a mish mash of god know what, but the scriptwriters are all women, no disrespect intended but they make her look like a mixture of all the Dr's rolled into, which she is supposed to be, but not all at the same time, and at least give the girl a script that doesn't make her look like she has dementia. Jazz, I think your thinking of the Dr's "daughter"?
Female James "Jane"? Bond, NO, a woman could carry a similar role, and there have been some kickass movies/TV series with leading women Jessica Alba in Dark Angel for one, Nikita for two, it's just because James Bond is white, suave, a womaniser, and bloody British and before the days of PC. Yes they do have to move with the times, but don't say 007, just not right.
My ex was South African Indian, most Saturday's was Bhangra night, disco with Indian music (but during the day) never seen so many LGBT in my life, but all hilarious and never had a problem with any of them, I was straight, they weren't, never an issue, even now, some I am still friends with .
Ah your right the daughter my bad,and Bollywood I love Bollywood films, singing dancing comedy/love stories they so make you smile and wanna dance, I don’t mind woman leads I embrace them we are as good as guys any day of the week,I hate stealing established roles especially when they are not as good as the original I just end up thinking you spoilt this is in oh so many ways. I did love Sarah Jane spin off though.

Seeing the game in person versus on TV are completely different. I love the game especially the NHL and NCAA Womens game. If you go the 1st time go with someone who can explain the game.

TomO
Having been conned into watching cricket, too slow. Football, in my experience too cold, thank god for hot pies and soup.I prefer rugby, I have no idea who is winning I just like the butts,there used to be a great blond he ran like poetry in motion and would throw himself to the ground after running with the ball when they cheered I got it totally ……grins,

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks for all the positive responses to my Saturday post.

It's been a dreary winter Sunday in my corner of the world. Kind of appropos, since we performed the melancholy task of dismantling the Christmas tree. I remember how my youngest daughter would cry about this when she was little, and we would explain to her that if it was always Christmas all year 'round, the real holiday wouldn't be as special as it is. With that task accomplished, today marks the start of the Winter Doldrums for me.

Karl - Glad to see you're getting comfortable with your new iPhone. I still have the same Samsung Android smartphone that I've had since 2016, and will keep using it until the battery is no longer able to hold a decent charge. It's usually between 60-70% when I plug it into the charger at bedtime.

Joe - Microsoft occasionally nudges me to install Windows 11 on my laptop, but I'm going to try to hold off until the next build when all the bugs that users are finding with this first release have been remedied.

On the topic of 'puters, today I laid my old ASUS laptop to rest, after cleansing it of all my personal files and data. It had served me well ever since November 2016, but its performance had become pathetically slow as of late. I don't know if that was due to failing hardware or an excessive number of processes that Windows 10 has a tendency to spawn - probably a mix of both? I'm giving it to a local friend who has a hobby of refurbishing old computers, maybe he can keep it out of the landfill for a few more years.

I did manage to spend some time in the trainroom today, but not running trains as I had planned; I felt compelled to fix a few things that have been bugging me for the past few years, one of which was the roof on my roundhouse. I never permanently cemented it to the structure because I wanted to be able to remove it if I ever needed to rescue a stalled locomotive from its interior, and since it consisted of 3 separate pieces glued together, they gradually warped over the years. So I cut a single solid sheet of 1/16-inch thick Evergreen styrene into the needed shape, and it fit like a glove! Now all I need to do is paint it dark gray like the original roof.

Another problem I decided to tackle was to replace the dark green on my steel mill switchers with black, so they would match my Iron Belt road units. Since I'm only actively using 3 of them, it shouldn't take too long for me to get them all repainted. I managed to get the first one done, and I can already see a major improvement - orange and black looks a lot more "industrial" than orange and green [IMHO].

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Geezo criminey, tryin to scroll down the pages here and all these adds keep stalling the scroll. Do they really think that interupting someone's internet reading is a way to sell a product?
Marketing meeting for XXZY product. Hey boss, I have an idea how to get our adds in front of people. Have our programmers write the software so our add pops up on a persons screen when he's reading something else on line. Welll that's an excellent idea Billy. Everybody should just love to read about our cheap garbage instead of what they where looking for.

Evening folks!

I've not been in since 7 pages ago, but, I've been baby-sitting 4 G-kids.
Today, a 4yr old asked me why I was all 'wrinkly'!! Gave her the generic answer, though I did wonder what she was talking about. I can't see any wrinkles looking out from the inside.

Just dropped in for a coffee. The temporary sitting job is extremely taxing, and makes for a very long day. Add to that, the longest cold streak since 1969, and I seem to have lost enthusiasm for any modelling. The present conditions are a real moral beater.
My rooftop satellite dish is buried in snow, so the TV don't work. - It's going to be a loooong winter.

Glad to see it's so active in here, though! Well done. Have a good one!

Figgered out how to get most of my apps and photos over to the new phone, but I've been chugging twisted tea si I better quit while I'm ahead.
Mebbe tamara I will try to take some pitchers.
Maybe not, cuz the damn thinh came with a micro usb cabble, but no charger. Hows one supposed to charge it up??

the charger you had one your old phone should work just fine (as long as it takes a USB-C cable). If your older charger is olde style USB A you can buy a lightning cable with the older USB A on it.

if IBM had gone the way of apple, with proprietary parts and software?

well, they did. The IBM compatible market came because people were able to reverse engineer the BIOS. Before that they had IBM kind of compatible and the test was if it ran flight simulator. IBM didn't do anything to open up their architecture. People just worked at it until they had broken the BIOS and had compatible code.

Apple's hardware was no more proprietary than IBMs. Apple used industry standard CPU chips from motorola, and industry standard bus and (most) ports (ADB pr Apple Desktop Bus being the only real proprietary port)

I don't know who they are, but they don't have black hair.

I can almost guarantee that they have dyed their hair. The "tea color" hair is very popular in Asian cultures. And pretty much every one I have met with that color, it is not natural. Granted, most of my experience is with Korean and Japanese, but I have also met Chinese with the hair color.

Not saying it is impossible that they have that color as a natural color, but I would bet dollars to donuts it is dyed.

Word Perfect Office, is reasonably priced, and I don't have to renew each year, to maintain my files.

Who runs WordPerfect now? And do they actually make updates with new features etc? Or are they just milking the old codebase for all its worth from the lawyers and PhDs who use it?

I have nothing against WordPerfect and don't use Word myself (being an Apple person I just use the Apple word processor "Pages") but I worked at WordPerfect from 93-94, about 18 months, and had friends who continued to work there for a while, and it seemed that they were no longer modernizing it and still using the old 80s based technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back