Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet shop dwellers, and those who read all the way through Jazz's posts, hearing their grammar teachers in their minds, and go about mentally inserting line breaks, punctuation as needed, and the occasional smiley face, lest Sister Mary-the-mauler and her ruler of doom strike out again for confusing semi-colons and comma usage.

It's Troy again.

Had a fun time running the tourney yesterday. Had Two people call off for positive C-19 tests (or going to get one). One new gent made it in but was fairly new to the game. I paired him with an experienced player who has a good way of teaching about him. Unfortunately, he was running a min-maxed force and wasn't skilled enough to play it well.

That's the problem with min-maxed lists (maximized for a certain ability/effect/play factor, while minimizing other liabilities). There is always a hole in the planning, and there is always a counter. The teacher's list was an ad-hoc thrown together last moment to help balance the good vs bad guy ratio. And it was exactly the counter to that force by sheer accident.

The second game didn't go much better for the poor chap.

He, unfortunately, decided to call it a day.

And, I was playing "ringer" or Gumby in the tourney. I had to fill in to keep all the # of opponents balanced. I never played to win, just to challenge and make the other guy earn the victory.

Which put me at the bottom of the list. Unfortunately, neither the gent who left early, nor the real participant directly ahead of me in points wanted the totally awesome Better Luck Next Time trophy.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 5.45.45 AM.png

So, I'll put it on my memento shelf. I may have to make up another, without a date, and perhaps a wooden spoon. Since a lot of miniature wargaming comes from our British friends, here's the Wikipedia piece on the origins of the Wooden Spoon award. Trust the Brits to come up with an excellent name for a bad award.

MIL news isn't much. The wife and her sis took MIL around to see three assisted living facilities. They're leaning toward the one closest to our condo.

But, they need to get MIL into an attorney for asset management, will updating, medical power of attorney etc. The current paperwork has the third sis listed for PoA, and she lives in Texas, not Indiana. She hasn't lived her for over a decade, so time to get the local daughters on the paperwork.

I'm back to writing today. Nose to the grindstone. I should probably take down the tree eventually. But it can wait. We've got a condo in our complex I walk by on my sojourn, that just leaves their tree up year round. They just unplug it from about now, then plug it back in around thanksgiving.

As a woman I am sick of seeing films originally played successfully by male parts, redone for women with appalling acting and cringy updates, pc correctness has ruined a lot of films,
I agree with this Jaz, just doing for the sake of doing often doesn’t work. In my opinion, their is too many replays and not enough originality at times. Having the new James Bond having to be a woman for example, is it really necessary if this happens ? I will boycott intentionally.

Well, howdy there internet shop dwellers, and those who read all the way through Jazz's posts, hearing their grammar teachers in their minds, and go about mentally inserting line breaks, punctuation as needed, and the occasional smiley face, lest Sister Mary-the-mauler and her ruler of doom strike out again for confusing semi-colons and comma usage.

It's Troy again.

Had a fun time running the tourney yesterday. Had Two people call off for positive C-19 tests (or going to get one). One new gent made it in but was fairly new to the game. I paired him with an experienced player who has a good way of teaching about him. Unfortunately, he was running a min-maxed force and wasn't skilled enough to play it well.

That's the problem with min-maxed lists (maximized for a certain ability/effect/play factor, while minimizing other liabilities). There is always a hole in the planning, and there is always a counter. The teacher's list was an ad-hoc thrown together last moment to help balance the good vs bad guy ratio. And it was exactly the counter to that force by sheer accident.

The second game didn't go much better for the poor chap.

He, unfortunately, decided to call it a day.

And, I was playing "ringer" or Gumby in the tourney. I had to fill in to keep all the # of opponents balanced. I never played to win, just to challenge and make the other guy earn the victory.

Which put me at the bottom of the list. Unfortunately, neither the gent who left early, nor the real participant directly ahead of me in points wanted the totally awesome Better Luck Next Time trophy.

View attachment 138444

So, I'll put it on my memento shelf. I may have to make up another, without a date, and perhaps a wooden spoon. Since a lot of miniature wargaming comes from our British friends, here's the Wikipedia piece on the origins of the Wooden Spoon award. Trust the Brits to come up with an excellent name for a bad award.

MIL news isn't much. The wife and her sis took MIL around to see three assisted living facilities. They're leaning toward the one closest to our condo.

But, they need to get MIL into an attorney for asset management, will updating, medical power of attorney etc. The current paperwork has the third sis listed for PoA, and she lives in Texas, not Indiana. She hasn't lived her for over a decade, so time to get the local daughters on the paperwork.

I'm back to writing today. Nose to the grindstone. I should probably take down the tree eventually. But it can wait. We've got a condo in our complex I walk by on my sojourn, that just leaves their tree up year round. They just unplug it from about now, then plug it back in around thanksgiving.
Pity, being awarded the Wooden Spoon, is now considered quite prestigious in some circles, attitude being "I came away with something rather than nothing".

Good to hear your MIL is considering the move closer, we all need family around.

Hope the writing goes well, if not "train time" 😊

Pity, being awarded the Wooden Spoon, is now considered quite prestigious in some circles, attitude being "I came away with something rather than nothing".

Good to hear your MIL is considering the move closer, we all need family around.

Hope the writing goes well, if not "train time" 😊
In the case of gaming tournaments, I know I'm not a top-tier player. I'm nowhere near competitive enough.

For our tournament, I purchased several candy bars and cookies and used those as prizes for Wargaming BINGO. I made cards with many of the results players might achieve. Such as rolling a FUBAR (if you know the term, it's not a good thing). And some good results (destroying your enemies tank, or ranging in your artillery in one go instead of 3 or 4 turns).

Players that scoffed at the idea were seen checking their BINGO cards at the end of the games before they turned in their scorecards. I needed the scorecards ASAP... but Bingo took precedent over figuring out who their next opponent was.

So, that's the type of mentality I go into a gaming tourney with. I'll make put-put-put motor sounds as I move my tank. Or yell a Monty Python RUN AWAY! When I roll bad and my troops do a ... um... strategic withdrawal.

For me, coming in last is more a badge of honour, based on the idea that I was probably having fun losing the games in ways that made the games fun for opponents. If I don't win, did I at least have a good game that encouraged my opponent to play his/her best while enjoying the process?

In the case of gaming tournaments, I know I'm not a top-tier player. I'm nowhere near competitive enough.

For our tournament, I purchased several candy bars and cookies and used those as prizes for Wargaming BINGO. I made cards with many of the results players might achieve. Such as rolling a FUBAR (if you know the term, it's not a good thing). And some good results (destroying your enemies tank, or ranging in your artillery in one go instead of 3 or 4 turns).

Players that scoffed at the idea were seen checking their BINGO cards at the end of the games before they turned in their scorecards. I needed the scorecards ASAP... but Bingo took precedent over figuring out who their next opponent was.

So, that's the type of mentality I go into a gaming tourney with. I'll make put-put-put motor sounds as I move my tank. Or yell a Monty Python RUN AWAY! When I roll bad and my troops do a ... um... strategic withdrawal.

For me, coming in last is more a badge of honour, based on the idea that I was probably having fun losing the games in ways that made the games fun for opponents. If I don't win, did I at least have a good game that encouraged my opponent to play his/her best while enjoying the process?

I agree, a game is a game, it's meant to be interesting, but above all FUN, too many people take it way too seriously and get annoyed/angry if they don't win, I have no time for them.

I went to an organised "sports day" years ago, took part in the three legged race for a laugh, (I only have one), and we won the race, (I took my prosthetic leg off and gave it to my partner), she ran the race, some people took it as cheating and got very upset.

I didn't make it any better when I pointed out that nowhere in the "rules" did it say the rest of my body had to run the race as well, it was a laugh, nothing more. 🤣 🤣

Just received a new Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 keyboard and mouse. I ordered it from Amazon only yesterday. It's was actually sold as used, saving me over 25%. Anytime Amazon offers a used item I choose that. So far of the dozens of used items I have bought all have been new "open box" items rather then used.

Never mattered how much money I made, I always pinch pennies. I try not to buy cheap junk, but I try to buy everything cheap!

Thinking of cheap junk, the $100 Android 11 10inch tablet I bought from China works great, I love it! It has better battery life than my Amazon 10inch HD tablet, I got that cheap as well. Did I mention I'm cheap?

Maximize profits and minimize expenses. The way I see it, if I'm not making money, I'm losing money and I don't like to lose money!

I needed a new keyboard because my grandson's keyboard on his gaming computer failed and he helped himself to mine. Fortunately I have three other PCs and even more laptops. I could have gone to my parts shelf, I'm sure I have something that works, but I'm spoiled by these Microsoft 600 keyboard and mouse combos. I could have just bought the keyboard but I actually saved $1 buying the used combo and now I have another spare mouse.

You may ask why I have 3 PCs, redundancy, if one fails I have another. I built the third pc from spare parts I have accumulated. Its actually lighting fast with the new/used solid state hard drive from Amazon. Why I have so many laptops is another story. I had a run of broken laptops. I even sat on one! I bought replacements and finally repaired the others. Now I'm not sure how many I have, a half dozen, maybe.

My son only runs state of the art PCs. He works at home for Northrop Grumman. His home office looks like something out of Star Trek. He has three curved monitors side by side. The set up would drive me nuts, but he needs it. He gives me his old PCs, 2 years old tops. My son also built my grandson's state of the art gaming PC. Bruette Computers may be dormant, but the legacy lives on.

That reminds me, I promised my friend I would put together a PC for him after the new year. His old PC failed back in October and I gave him a laptop until I had time to put something together for him. I'm not overly generous. Its much more gratitude than generosity. This friend bought the first PC I ever built. He helped kick start Bruette Computers and I will never forget it. He normally would not accept a gift, but he had a run of tough luck since he had a stroke, he is stable now, thank God. We go back to the days when we were headbanger street rats. Him and I could stand back to back against anyhting. He was built like a defensive tackle and I was built like a defensive end. We were like thunder and lightning. Now we are broken down old men, we can't even stand for long. Thank God we are still here.

My wife and daughter both have flu like symptoms from the shot. My 89 year old mom is fine, no symptoms from the booster. She was cooking
and cleaning her apartment when I called to check on her! I feel fine, I just keep falling asleep since I got home.

Got to give me grandson this keyboard to put back on the PC in the family room.

Have a good night Everybody!
Bruette - I believe as you do - ifn I am not making money, I have to be loosing it. I try to get stuff as inexpensive as I can. Inexpensive - better word for CHEAP. Save $15 on something, that can go for something else. Lunch is my main excuse; or a couple of Mochas. As to computers, I started on mainframes ( 360's, 370's and Spectra 70 ) in the early 70's, then IBM pc's in 87 - were not any clones then! I have always been a fan of the real IBM keyboards with actual mechanical switches that give tactile feedback. I can type much faster on them. Lately I have been using a Dell QuietKey which has good finger feedback as the IBM's are tougher and tougher to find. Heck, both come apart easy and you can run either type keyboard through the dishwasher if needed as long as you get all the water out before you plug them in ( shaking works, then in the oven at 170F for 1/2 hour or so ). I too have multiple computers around the house. At the price I buy the used computers it makes it easy to have multiple locations, then I don't have to go to the dedicated computer desk whenever I want to do something. I refuse to fight with the wife or kids just to use one. My go to box is a Dell Precision Workstation and have t3500, t5500 and t7500's, with dual screens; usually 24", although I do have two with dual 32" screens. I do buy new hard drives for them. Have a 17" Dell laptop and its screen is just to small to open my usual 3 or 4 applications at one time and be able to see everything. On top of that, I can't get any keyboard speed out of it - fat fingers I guess.

Good morning gang
Whatever I did last night after chugging a few did the trick, as the I phone is now useable .
27 with freezing rain today, a good day to stay in the basement. Maybe I’ll try the camera on this thing later. Supposed to be pretty good.
BBL

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Here it is still foggy from yesterday and a very mild 55°. That will change in about two hours as a stiff norther will be coming in, dropping the temperature all day to a low of perhaps 26° by morning. Then a rapid warmup for a week or so. Yesterday was miserable with drizzle early turning to a thick fog the rest of the day, despite warming up to nearly 60° by sunset. I had to remove glowing coals and ash from the heater since it never got warm enough during the day to let the fire go out. It takes 18-36 hours to go out completely anyway. But it had to be done to clear the air intake.

A pair of giant breakfast burritos today Flo. Sausage, egg and cheese with spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks for the many likes for yesterday's post regarding the figures, camping trailers or the paintbrush info; Smudge, Sherrel, Guy, Louis, OB Ken, Tom O, Mikey, Christian, Joe, Karl, Hughie, Patrick, Gary, Dave, Tom, Curt, Rick, Chad, Jaz, James.

It was a mixed day yesterday out in the train shed. I started by completing the second camper and some camp tables and chairs. Here they are with a couple of the other campers that I will be using in the completed scene. This part of the layout is still being used as a storage area as seen in the background. The main line and passing siding are functional but not yet painted and ballasted.
IMG_0158.JPG

The American flag is my own detail, the three trees came with the kit.
I also assembled the office. It can't be seen in this photo, but there are shelves along the back wall that I will add knick-knacks to.
IMG_0160.JPG

I also started some new figures. This time it is some unpainted ones.
IMG_0159.JPG

Very early stages with just two colors so far.
Then I ran trains and all modeling ceased.

Louis - I passed your thoughts on to my wife, before she watched the rout last night. We have a friendly rivalry with one of my son in laws who's from Jersey about 20 miles from Philly. He stopped watching the game at half time.
Who's the picture of in your post #601?
Amazon prices can vary widely from day to day.
I have found that they can differ depending on whether i use my desktop or my wife's laptop at the same time. I also have found them less expensive when I look without logging in as a Prime member.
Smudge - I am glad that my wife is making a quick recovery from this surgery. I am able to wean myself from several tasks like making her coffee and that damned ginger/lemon concoction every morning. She won't be chasing me since I have always been able to outrun her. It still remains to be seen whether or not she returns to work as a tax preparer this year. While the money is nice, we really don't need it. After all, she is 72!
Mikey -
Willie- That is because everyone in China has black hair. lol
Yeah! I figured that out last year when I got my first set. I initially also thought that the little bun on the top of their heads was part of the Oriental hairstyle, until I realized that it's actually a poorly done sprue trim job. This years batch is much better quality-wise.
Patrick - As I understand it, many hackers make very small purchases to see if you are paying attention before making the big one. My bank and also my credit card company always cancel disputed charges. They both also call if a charge is being made outside my known geographical area. I also call them ahead of out of town trips to let them know where I am going and for how long, so their computer doesn't flag that usage.
Jaz - Sorry to read that your knee is not healing faster.
Karl -
Whatever I did last night after chugging a few did the trick, as the I phone is now useable .
Beer, is there anything it can't do???

Today for those of you who might live in some major metropolitan areas, is No Pants Subway Ride Day.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Well I figure I can make a quick post before bed. Made it out to the LHS today. Scored some more hoppers. They were cheaper at the LHS than on ebay do I figured why not?
View attachment 138433
That's all I have for now. Y'all have a good night. I'll stop later when I get a chance.
i look at eBay and just chuckle. So much of the gold priced items on EBay are available elsewhere online or a the LHS if you have one. You just have to search.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back