Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaz you brought up a good point a few days ago about Amazon.

You have to evaluate each purchase and do a little digging. Sometimes there are other sellers for the same item that has considerably lower prices.

Amazon prices can vary widely from day to day.

Now I will have a spare mouse and keyboard.

I just got roped into buying a Logitech gaming keyboard for my grandson. Put some fancy lights, a clever name and blue clicky switches and charge 10 times more than a Microsoft keyboard. I can't wait to see what "Blue clicky switches" are!

If he had asked for that in the first place I would not have bought another for me. In his defense, his mom said she would buy the gaming keyboard, but.... She just bought a new car.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 45°, going up to maybe 60° later today. That will be nice. Another cold front tomorrow and then back into the upper 50's - low 60's for another week. Rain in the forecast for this morning, but right now it is really widely scattered and very light. It just might not make it any further north than Dallas/Ft Worth. Man! You guys who live in those sub-zero locations have to be crazy. I will be in shorts and tee shirts for most of the next week, I hate bundling up! Takes too long and then I can't move.

Update on my wife's recent knee surgery; It's been five weeks and she is doing some unaided walking around the house without the cane. Two weeks ago, I put the walker back into storage as well as the handicap shower chair. The toilet seat riser is still there, so I am still having to use the other bathroom when it's too cold to pee in the yard. Country living that saves on septic tank usage!;)

Scrambled eggs and bacon with another slab of dragon meat today Flo. A tall OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks to all for the many likes on yesterday's posts. Too numerous to mention, but you all know who you are.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was warmer and I was able to do some modeling. I touched up the paint on a few more of the Chinese figures and changed the ethnicity of a couple. View attachment 138398
That's glare on the pants of the second figure from the left.
I also changed the hair color on a few. They all come with black hair to begin with.
Also because I couldn't resist, I started one of the kits that I received for Christmas, a Walther's campground kit.
View attachment 138399
This looks vaguely familiar. Don't I have the exact same kit under the Busch name?
View attachment 138400
The answer is yes! It is exactly the same kit, just in a Walther's box. Not a problem as it will look better with four trailers plus a few more that I already have. On the plus side, the Walther's instructions are in English instead of German!
View attachment 138401
However the German instructions have much clearer pictures and diagrams.
Somewhat simple kit.
View attachment 138403
First trailer ready for weathering.
View attachment 138402
It also comes with a lot of campsite accessories like tables, chairs, campfire, office etc.

Tom H - Following up on your question regarding painting figures. The two main brushes that I use are a Meedon 4/0 and an eBoot 5/0.
View attachment 138393
View attachment 138394
View attachment 138395View attachment 138396
I like the eBoot better, my wife bought those for me from Amazon. The Meeden also came from Amazon but they aren't as fine a quality, but someone gave them to me and I use them.
The craft paints that I use are primarily Deco Art and Apple Barrel as that's what's available at both Hobby Lobby and Michael's near me.
Other modelers paints that I use are Tru Color and Badger, but both of them generally require two coats as they are too thin for brush painting.
Smudge - I have never gotten any "spam" E-Mails that I could track back to this site.
I would have to ask my brother where in the Emerald Isles my family actually came from. Three of my four grandparents were born there and all came over as young children around 1905-1910.
Patrick -

Probably not a bad idea at any age. Start with anything manufactured like boxed mac & cheese, most bagged chips or pre-prepared dinners. Then reduce high carb stuff like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. Moderation is the key with most things. One example is that I substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, although the gravy could nullify that. I use almond flour in gravy with some success.
James - I have no experience with Polymeric sand, but it looks interesting. Too late for me to try it as I have enough ballast to complete all of my trackage already.
Greg -

That was pretty much a rite of passage back in the day.
Tom O - An Irish wake is one way to get over the discomfort of a root canal.

Today is Elvis Presley's birthday. He would have been 87 if he hadn't self-destructed.
Looks like I was wrong about the rain, as I now see drops dripping off the roof, it has also turned very foggy which may be the cause of the drops.
Everybody have a great day and stay safe.
Glad to hear the wife is improving, I am frustrated on how mine goes ok a couple of days then do nothing wrong and the knees griefs me,but in general pain has dropped off enormously and I had a laugh with the physio saying if I did not do the exercises enough I would tattoo a chicken on my arm, she had all my sympathy,as do you as I know my other half has gotten stuck with a load that I usually do.

Well I figure I can make a quick post before bed. Made it out to the LHS today. Scored some more hoppers. They were cheaper at the LHS than on ebay do I figured why not?
IMG_20220108_181345589.jpg
That's all I have for now. Y'all have a good night. I'll stop later when I get a chance.

Figgered out how to get most of my apps and photos over to the new phone, but I've been chugging twisted tea si I better quit while I'm ahead.
Mebbe tamara I will try to take some pitchers.
Maybe not, cuz the damn thinh came with a micro usb cabble, but no charger. Hows one supposed to charge it up??

I hate punctuation : I am appallingly lazy;I hate going back and correcting my English;I hate word checker; "I did consider going for an even longer sentence; grammatical errors don’t bug the hell out of me. In real life I can talk for some time without taking a breath, count your mercies lol.

One thing I do suggest is hitting RETURN a tad more often. From my days in newspaper school, we learned that study after study showed people stop reading far more often with a solid grey block of letters.

One of the reasons I write in short one or two idea paragraphs. (Really just a sentence or two, but, with how long Jazz can weave a sentence, I don't want to use that word).

The gaming blog I'm the editor for has a bunch of military types and educators. Give them an excuse to write and I'll get a three-paragraph 2000 word story. Twenty return line-break insertions later, and we've got a story that our readers might actually make it to the end of.

To keep readers interested, you don't have to write shorter. You just have to give them a "park bench" to rest their eyes on every couple of lines.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Even though I've been lurking and "liking" what many of you have posted, I don't think I've made a detailed post here since Wednesday (1/5). Seeing lotsa good photos and topics, but I just don't have time to go back and cherry-pick any post to reply to directly right now.

Haven't really had any activity in the trainroom because I've been in a bit of a slump, possibly because of all the Covid drama that has engulfed my family since the week after Christmas. I still have an annoying cough that prevents me from being able to sleep in a lying-down position, but otherwise I'm in good health. At least now my daughter in NYC has recovered from her Covid episode, and is anxious to get back to her teaching job and resume a normal life.

Finally learned my Covid PCR test result: negative, as I expected. And I discovered the reason why it seemed to take forever for me to get it: An over-zealous filter on my Gmail account was deleting every message that had a PDF document attached to it! I had created that filter because I'd inadvertently landed on a mailing list of some academic website for architecture and structural engineering professors to publish their treatises, and the "From" address always read "PDF from <insert any name>", so I set up the filter to delete any message whose sender name started with the words "PDF from ".

Apparently the filter interpreted that to mean it should nuke any message that contained the word 'PDF' anywhere - address, subject line, or message text - didn't matter. (BTW This also explains why I never received some Amtrak tickets I bought online a few week before Christmas!) Needless to say, I deleted that filter - but now I'm back to getting all those unwanted emails from the academic site. Guess I'll just have to keep deleting them as I find them, since trying to un-subscribe from that list has had no effect.

We're supposed to be getting some freezing rain in the morning, so we went to the Saturday "vigil" Mass in order to just sleep-in and avoid driving on Sunday. Maybe this will be the perfect time for me to get back out to the layout and try running a few trains...[?]

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good morning from Nova Scotia!
I am just enjoying my coffee while catching up on the news and the forum, busy past work week. Lots of snow to clear again today and just getting the fire started and waiting for daybreak before heading outside.
Looking forward to getting some more foam down today.
Hope you all have a great day !

Gary....I didn't realize you lived in Nova Scotia! I thought you were in Alberta for some reason. My eldest nephew Ethan is studying at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia. He is working on his Masters and a 4th book to publish. Kid is smart. He writes Sci-Fi. I think one day one of them may end up being a script for a movie.....I can only hope then he can take care his dea o'l Uncle James 🤣

Figgered out how to get most of my apps and photos over to the new phone, but I've been chugging twisted tea si I better quit while I'm ahead.
Mebbe tamara I will try to take some pitchers.
Maybe not, cuz the damn thinh came with a micro usb cabble, but no charger. Hows one supposed to charge it up??
Ouch I think that was a choice thing,you need a plug that takes a usb cable,be aware we bought two of these plugs which it turned out do not automatically turn back on after a power outage and need you to remember to go manual turn them back on, so much for modern technology lol

Gary....I didn't realize you lived in Nova Scotia! I
That is awesome! My boys go up St F X every now and then as they have friends up their as well, it’s a beautiful small town to visit. Both of my boys have gone to Dalhousie, my youngest is on his last semester now with his Chemical Engineering degree.
I enjoy going up that way as there is a small race track not far from their that I like going to every summer.

After Covid is done, and you are ever up this way, don’t hesitate to drop me a line for a coffee or a cold one !

and PS, good morning
E4548A51-F071-4F28-8FDF-33BFEA7236A1.png

Last edited:
If anybody's interested, the pet hospital is named Banfield. We have been customers since 1999, and have paid $35 a month for their wellness plan since that time. We went with them not because we felt they were the best, but because they had locations nationwide, and we needed that because we traveled a lot. I'm sure everybody here can mulitply 35 times 23 years, and figure out how much money we've given them. But they want ALL the money. Especially the last two months' payments for the current contract. Obviously it will be pure profit for them, because we have absolutely no way to incur any further care.
Bugger that, borrow one of your neighbours animals that could do with some treatment, vaccine shots, anything.

I like 2 and a half men Charlie sheen was much better,and when the replacement and some of the pc correct kit hit in I watched it a lot less as some episodes made me wince, humour in programmes nowadays can make me wince.

Did anyone like ghostbusters 2, I saw five minutes turned it off,and how Thor could play the part I have no idea I felt so sorry for his character, still I am sure he pocketed a big fat pay check.
As a woman I am sick of seeing films originally played successfully by male parts, redone for women with appalling acting and cringy updates, pc correctness has ruined a lot of films,humour is humour and unless directed as a specific person, then who cares about race,colour sex, blah blah blah it just annoys me,no wonder so many films bomb nowadays.
I think the idea is to appeal to a "wider audience" and get away from stereotypical roles (yes, I used spellchecker), But I agree with you, people forget that humour, especially, is subjective to the context of the time it was performed, Jim Davidson (google it people) and his character "Chalky" and Alf Garnett (I forget the name of the sitcom) spring to mind, very un-pc by todays standards, but at the time...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back