Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerome went to the arts and crafts back in the 60s. Now it's more of a tourist trap area. Trinket shops and cafes along with a couple ice cream shops. Bikers rally up there on occasion then head on west to Prescott for the ride over the Mingus Mountain.
My sister lived out her hippy era there in the early 70s, found her hippy husband there and moved down into the valley to Cottonwood. Still lives there now, happily married to the same guy.
I have been to Cottonwood to operate on Verryl Fosnight’s Wyoming Division monster sized layout a few Februarys ago. Like 1000’ main lines. He has or had then 2 guys on the payroll to build and maintain the layout.

wyomingdivision.org

TomO

Justin, that's where my lack of soldering skills came into play. I ended up using Walthers Goo, while substituting Midwest lumber for the metal L girders. I always wanted to try the Chemical and Potash building and separate annex, but was afraid it wouldn't go well. That kit just screamed heavy industry. Of course, that was many years ago, and I have much more experience, so today my results should be different.
I took all my Suydam metal kits and put them in one box. I have about 6#s of parts from many kits. I had planned some day to kitbash.

TomO

Good morning Everybody!

Booster shot was no big deal, thank God. Sore arm was all I have to deal with. The more I use the arm the better it gets. The first two shots put me on the couch the entire morning following the shots. I had no work scheduled for this morning, but I always have options.

Time to get busy.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning Everybody!

Booster shot was no big deal, thank God. Sore arm was all I have to deal with. The more I use the arm the better it gets. The first two shots put me on the couch the entire morning following the shots. I had no work scheduled for this morning, but I always have options.

Time to get busy.

Have a great day Everybody!
Louis, options are good.

TomO

rail issues, popped out of the tie plates
824B5497-4418-4B00-8534-9145C297AD67.jpeg

Good morning from Nova Scotia!
I am just enjoying my coffee while catching up on the news and the forum, busy past work week. Lots of snow to clear again today and just getting the fire started and waiting for daybreak before heading outside.
Looking forward to getting some more foam down today.
Hope you all have a great day !

Good morning from Nova Scotia!
I am just enjoying my coffee while catching up on the news and the forum, busy past work week. Lots of snow to clear again today and just getting the fire started and waiting for daybreak before heading outside.
Looking forward to getting some more foam down today.
Hope you all have a great day !
I keep trying to convince the spousal unit that a move to Nova Scotia would be good for us as a retirement plan.
- You've got the ocean (it's the North Atlantic, but still a really big pond)
- There is civilization there, with more than a stray moose for scenery
- Only a short drive to get to woodlands or mountains for hiking (there are mountains in that part of Canada aren't there)
- Weather isn't any worse than the US Midwest, and probably better for most of the year
- Her mother's maiden name is Scott... I mean, you can't get any more Scottish ancestry than that... ;)

I have been to Cottonwood to operate on Verryl Fosnight’s Wyoming Division monster sized layout a few Februarys ago. Like 1000’ main lines. He has or had then 2 guys on the payroll to build and maintain the layout.

wyomingdivision.org

TomO
If you're interested, I made a 3-part documentary video of the Wyoming Division MRR. I've been there quite a few times for op sessions and then we did this video in December 2020 with only assistant operators in the building to help with shooting the video. Verryl started with 8 guys on the payroll to get things started but then trimmed it down to two guys, Allen and Lenny to continue the scenery and maintenance of the railroad. He hasn't hosted an op session now for at least 18 months due to the virus.

Last edited:
Decided this morning that I wanted to spend some track time running a HO train round my layout, but would first have to remove the slight dip in the track that seems to cause a issue with the HO, (the OO gauge has no problem, probably because they have D tension locks), So took out the few pieces of track and replaced them with single Flexi-Track, that went well, sort off, had to raise the track and turnout, that wasn't a problem till I tried to check the turnout motor, it wouldn't work, the arm was jamming against the housing, seems the screws are too short and when screwed down the housing fouls the arm, release the screws and the motor moves, so I need longer screws, but I don't have any that will fit the housing. Ended up using some plasti-card screwed to the board, and then screwed the motor to the plasti-card, not pretty but will work for now, think I will change out the Hornby point motor with a Peco one.

point.jpg

Time for Coffee I think. :)

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 45°, going up to maybe 60° later today. That will be nice. Another cold front tomorrow and then back into the upper 50's - low 60's for another week. Rain in the forecast for this morning, but right now it is really widely scattered and very light. It just might not make it any further north than Dallas/Ft Worth. Man! You guys who live in those sub-zero locations have to be crazy. I will be in shorts and tee shirts for most of the next week, I hate bundling up! Takes too long and then I can't move.

Update on my wife's recent knee surgery; It's been five weeks and she is doing some unaided walking around the house without the cane. Two weeks ago, I put the walker back into storage as well as the handicap shower chair. The toilet seat riser is still there, so I am still having to use the other bathroom when it's too cold to pee in the yard. Country living that saves on septic tank usage!;)

Scrambled eggs and bacon with another slab of dragon meat today Flo. A tall OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks to all for the many likes on yesterday's posts. Too numerous to mention, but you all know who you are.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was warmer and I was able to do some modeling. I touched up the paint on a few more of the Chinese figures and changed the ethnicity of a couple.
IMG_0150.JPG

That's glare on the pants of the second figure from the left.
I also changed the hair color on a few. They all come with black hair to begin with.
Also because I couldn't resist, I started one of the kits that I received for Christmas, a Walther's campground kit.
IMG_0152.JPG

This looks vaguely familiar. Don't I have the exact same kit under the Busch name?
IMG_0153.JPG

The answer is yes! It is exactly the same kit, just in a Walther's box. Not a problem as it will look better with four trailers plus a few more that I already have. On the plus side, the Walther's instructions are in English instead of German!
IMG_0155.JPG

However the German instructions have much clearer pictures and diagrams.
Somewhat simple kit.
IMG_0157.JPG

First trailer ready for weathering.
IMG_0156.JPG

It also comes with a lot of campsite accessories like tables, chairs, campfire, office etc.

Tom H - Following up on your question regarding painting figures. The two main brushes that I use are a Meedon 4/0 and an eBoot 5/0.
IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG

I like the eBoot better, my wife bought those for me from Amazon. The Meeden also came from Amazon but they aren't as fine a quality, but someone gave them to me and I use them.
The craft paints that I use are primarily Deco Art and Apple Barrel as that's what's available at both Hobby Lobby and Michael's near me.
Other modelers paints that I use are Tru Color and Badger, but both of them generally require two coats as they are too thin for brush painting.
Smudge - I have never gotten any "spam" E-Mails that I could track back to this site.
I would have to ask my brother where in the Emerald Isles my family actually came from. Three of my four grandparents were born there and all came over as young children around 1905-1910.
Patrick -
Gotta start looking at a different menu as the cardiologist wants a bunch of stuff we usually cook, cut from the wife's diet. In truth, probably won't hurt me either.
Probably not a bad idea at any age. Start with anything manufactured like boxed mac & cheese, most bagged chips or pre-prepared dinners. Then reduce high carb stuff like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. Moderation is the key with most things. One example is that I substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, although the gravy could nullify that. I use almond flour in gravy with some success.
James - I have no experience with Polymeric sand, but it looks interesting. Too late for me to try it as I have enough ballast to complete all of my trackage already.
Greg -
my Grandmother handed me a Whiskey and sweet soda and said its time for me to have a drink in your Grandfather's honor. My first hard liquor!!!
That was pretty much a rite of passage back in the day.
Tom O - An Irish wake is one way to get over the discomfort of a root canal.

Today is Elvis Presley's birthday. He would have been 87 if he hadn't self-destructed.
Looks like I was wrong about the rain, as I now see drops dripping off the roof, it has also turned very foggy which may be the cause of the drops.
Everybody have a great day and stay safe.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown! Takes me an hour to read all the musings after half a day away!
Howdy there folks! We are starting the day at 49F and looking for 64F sometime this afternoon with mostly sunny!
Before I forget -
GREG and TOMO - Those are beautiful photos - I mean like you are standing right there!
GREG - I have always liked the way you have details (junk) in the creek and on the embankment. I wonder if you could find, or make, some beat up - say five gal buckets to add?

After my sleepless night last:eek:- I managed to finally move around enough to pack and put up a few boxes of Christmas after looking an hour for the tape machine (never did find it - Spousal Unit refuses to place it back in its dedicated spot) :(
After the great hunt I moved on to taking the lights off the hedge bushes out front along with all the extension cords involved - took apart the lighted snowman and reindeer and boxed them up (not sealed with tape) :mad: ....
then moved on to putting air in the garden cart tyers and moving one load of firewood around back, but stopped there as had to clean out and sweep up the area before stacking. Another 20-30 loads should finish the job - gasp! I stopped there, fed the pups (who were annoying me - (after all it was a half hour past their usual feeding) which made me hungry as well. Made myself some chicken soup with mostly leftovers and a 1/2 cup of rice to mix with it - turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. I sat down to eat and watched the show 2 and a half men (125 episodes recorded) -- I think that is one of the funniest shows ever made - wife hates it. I only watch it when she is not here! I Really don't think it is as good after Charlie Sheen left? I fell asleep within a very short time and slept 10 hours, unheard of for me, and only had to make one head call :), again unhead of in the last 7-8 years?
Still have numerous items on my list - better sit back and think about them some more?
Another cup please, FLO!

Good Morning!
It's still horrifically COLD! It's the wind that makes it so bad; the wind cuts right through ones clothing.
Plus I'm still shovelling snow daily. We have lot's of snow this year. The snow piles are getting so high, I can hardly lift a scoop of snow to dump it on top of the pile. I need to add a couple of feet to my height. - If it keeps snowing, I'll have to hire a machine to push the piles further in and get me some piling room.

The threat of mandated vaccinations is upon us here in Canada. My thoughts are, that the smart people are getting the vaccinations to protect themselves and they're families; and the less smart people just arn't. I'm almost leaning toward not mandating the vax, in the hope that not doing so will help to decrease the surplus population of idiots. I guess the authorities are more worried about the heavy toll being placed on our ICU situation, though.

For the rest of the month, I will be playing parent for my 4x small g-kids. Playing parent is far more responsibility than being a grandfather, and I'm not looking forward to it. This is something I didn't anticipate; I made the mistake of thinking I had entered into retirement. Now I need to put some more wood on the internal flame, and keep going for a-bit. It's worse for me now, considering we are in a pandemic. It's difficult for me to find enough to do to keep those kids busy, and it's too cold to play outside. Although, I suppose we will be building a snow-fort very soon.

I need to get going. Before I leave, I'll drop a few local rail photos on the table. Can't remember if you've already seen these:
CN 2300_ES44DC_05-10-2021 (1).JPG

YardSE_10-07-2020 (3).jpg

CNstageing_09-26-2020 (12).JPG

I don't know if I'll be coming in anytime soon, with the g-kids under my care. Have a great day, though, and I'll see you soon enough!

Tom, I could not agree more, options are always good!

Willie, I'm glad to hear of your wife's progress. Tell her I think the Cowboys are the good pick for the NFC Championship. Their secondary is as good as anybody's, if not better. The front seven is no push over either. The quarterback does not get the press of Rogers or Brady, but he may be the best game manager of all. They could be in the Superbowl if their defense keeps taking the ball away from the other teams.

Christian, nice rolling stock!

That's all folks. 😁

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 45°, going up to maybe 60° later today. That will be nice. Another cold front tomorrow and then back into the upper 50's - low 60's for another week. Rain in the forecast for this morning, but right now it is really widely scattered and very light. It just might not make it any further north than Dallas/Ft Worth. Man! You guys who live in those sub-zero locations have to be crazy. I will be in shorts and tee shirts for most of the next week, I hate bundling up! Takes too long and then I can't move.

Update on my wife's recent knee surgery; It's been five weeks and she is doing some unaided walking around the house without the cane. Two weeks ago, I put the walker back into storage as well as the handicap shower chair. The toilet seat riser is still there, so I am still having to use the other bathroom when it's too cold to pee in the yard. Country living that saves on septic tank usage!;)

Scrambled eggs and bacon with another slab of dragon meat today Flo. A tall OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks to all for the many likes on yesterday's posts. Too numerous to mention, but you all know who you are.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was warmer and I was able to do some modeling. I touched up the paint on a few more of the Chinese figures and changed the ethnicity of a couple. View attachment 138398
That's glare on the pants of the second figure from the left.
I also changed the hair color on a few. They all come with black hair to begin with.
Also because I couldn't resist, I started one of the kits that I received for Christmas, a Walther's campground kit.
View attachment 138399
This looks vaguely familiar. Don't I have the exact same kit under the Busch name?
View attachment 138400
The answer is yes! It is exactly the same kit, just in a Walther's box. Not a problem as it will look better with four trailers plus a few more that I already have. On the plus side, the Walther's instructions are in English instead of German!
View attachment 138401
However the German instructions have much clearer pictures and diagrams.
Somewhat simple kit.
View attachment 138403
First trailer ready for weathering.
View attachment 138402
It also comes with a lot of campsite accessories like tables, chairs, campfire, office etc.

Tom H - Following up on your question regarding painting figures. The two main brushes that I use are a Meedon 4/0 and an eBoot 5/0.
View attachment 138393
View attachment 138394
View attachment 138395View attachment 138396
I like the eBoot better, my wife bought those for me from Amazon. The Meeden also came from Amazon but they aren't as fine a quality, but someone gave them to me and I use them.
The craft paints that I use are primarily Deco Art and Apple Barrel as that's what's available at both Hobby Lobby and Michael's near me.
Other modelers paints that I use are Tru Color and Badger, but both of them generally require two coats as they are too thin for brush painting.
Smudge - I have never gotten any "spam" E-Mails that I could track back to this site.
I would have to ask my brother where in the Emerald Isles my family actually came from. Three of my four grandparents were born there and all came over as young children around 1905-1910.
Patrick -

Probably not a bad idea at any age. Start with anything manufactured like boxed mac & cheese, most bagged chips or pre-prepared dinners. Then reduce high carb stuff like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. Moderation is the key with most things. One example is that I substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, although the gravy could nullify that. I use almond flour in gravy with some success.
James - I have no experience with Polymeric sand, but it looks interesting. Too late for me to try it as I have enough ballast to complete all of my trackage already.
Greg -

That was pretty much a rite of passage back in the day.
Tom O - An Irish wake is one way to get over the discomfort of a root canal.

Today is Elvis Presley's birthday. He would have been 87 if he hadn't self-destructed.
Looks like I was wrong about the rain, as I now see drops dripping off the roof, it has also turned very foggy which may be the cause of the drops.
Everybody have a great day and stay safe.
Glad to know you other half is up and about, next thing you know she'll be chasing you round the house, 'cause you forgot to put the trash out 🤣 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back