Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only ill effect was that I couldn't lift my left arm for two days after the first injection.
The same hare for me, JOE! AND the second only gave me a tender/sore spot about the size of a silver dollar.

In other news, Son's wife - who works for Boeing in Phoenix - received her ultimatum - get the shot or be let go by Dec 9th.

TERRY -- Hope you start feeling better real quick!

Still struggling with this contraption but am slowly making progress.
I have learned that my largest roadblock is understanding the geek terminology.

A Beautiful day in the Southwest! 80 degrees for a high with a minuscule breeze and clear skies!

Be careful there. The vaccine does nothing to stop you from bringing the virus back with you. They've found the viral load the same between those with vaccine and those without. The difference is, at least for a few months, the vaccine may help you bear the virus more easily. So be careful and take all the pre-cautions you would take not being vaccinated, like mask, distance, sanitizer, etc.

Actually, I'm finding more nuanced evidence that indicates otherwise.

I took the opportunity to tweet at Dr. Monica Gandhi about what studies were showing for exposed but asymptomatic vaxxed peeps potentially shedding the virus.

She replied!! :eek: Made my day, if not month! :cool:

She's in the midst of tweeting info about the FDA advisory panel votes and recommendations on Modern and J&J boosters, but said she'd go into more detail later. She did a quick boost of a piece from a couple weeks ago by Dr. Joseph Allen in the Washington Post about metrics the CDC is using to be over caution with flawed metrics. He hot links to a bunch of studies in his opinion piece.

The key differentiation to shedding active virus in quantities large enough to harm others seems to be a breakthrough infection. Not one the body fights off early on and no symptoms appear.

BUT - we are still early in the lifespan of this (now) endemic. The science will continue to evolve as more and nuanced data comes in.

And, that's why I got my booster. I want to be responsible to those I come into contact with. I mask where appropriate, but try not to unless I know the rules require (airports and planes, hospitals, etc), or if I'm around those with compromised immunity. I'll try to limit contact with others for a week after I return. Delta shows up in about 5 days so a week should be good.

What I like about Dr. Monica is she seems realistic about the endemic and personal risk and responsibility. I truly believe that most of the country is close to, if not already in the phase where you takes your chances with your choices. But, if you don't want to vaccinate, don't hang around those who can't do so, or who have compromised immune systems.

0610.jpg

Good morning Everybody!

Vaccines, i got mine, covid and flu, glad I did. Yesterday while doing my exercise (delivering for Amazon) three little ones (3-7 years old?) ran up to me as I delivered a package to their Mom. Still no covid vaccines for young people under 12. I was also wearing my mask, properly. On one hand I hate the mask! On the other hand, times like this I'm grateful for the mask, so I wear it. You never know when people will invade your space.

My thoughts, if you are not worried about protecting yourself, do it for others. If for nothing else to give them a little peace of mind. I hope my mask and my "I'm vaccinated" pin on button do just that. Personally, I think the vaccines and masks do much more than provide peace of mind.

Willie, I think we have the same chair, only mine looks even worse, but it is so very comfortable! Its in my private office and I'm not replacing it until it is no longer comfortable. I did put a throw blanket over it.

Time flies...

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning all! 65 heading up to 74 degrees. Supposed to be a rainy day.

Good news and bad news from yesterday. Good news is I got invited to a second interview for the job I applied for. The bad news is that I have to be at work during all the available interview times. I emailed them hoping for a different day/time and waiting to hear back. More bad news, I already lost my favorite assistant store manager and now I found out my awesome department supervisor is being transferred to a different part of the store. I'm not happy about that but not much I can do. Really hoping for a different job now since the best reasons to stay where I am are going or gone.

The dog is mad at us. My wife took her out for a walk and she snuck off long enough to find something awful to roll in. Came back stinking to high heaven, so she was force to take a bath. Like most dogs, she hates the bath and is now mad at us for forcing it. She'll get over it I suppose LOL

Another long day at work today I'm sure. Really hoping I can get a job that will let me not be on my feet so much. 8-9 hours of walking on concrete a day is making my feet hurt all the time.

Ok, enough griping. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 67° on the SFW estate. It won't get much warmer today and around noon, a wicked norther blows in and will rapidly drop the temperature to 45° overnight. Cooler temperatures through mid-week.
Despite getting nearly 3" of rain Wednesday, I checked my pond yesterday and it is still empty.
IMG_7922.JPG

As I posted, I didn't see any runoff the whole day.
I was able to make another successful weekly grocery trek yesterday. Two stops, Kroger for my normal shopping activities and Target for paper goods. Contrary to what I have seen on TV, and the sad tale of Tom O's shopping trip, there were no shortages of any kind on the Kroger shelves. Prices were higher all over the place. At Target where I normally purchase all paper goods (plus a few special items), the paper towels were about 70% full and TP about 60% capacity. No limits were posted. Only time will tell. I always considered the time that I go to either place has a lot to do with stock levels.
No change in the patient, my wife. Nurse and PT were both by and no issues. Boredom is setting in, she actually went over three hours with the TV off!!! Of course having back to back appointments might have had something to do with this.

Thanks to all who commented on or liked my progress post, or was it the worn chair?; Tom O, James, Hughie, Garry, Chad, Christian, Joe, Patrick, Jaz, Rick, Sherrel, Louis.

A BLT sandwich this morning Flo, with extra bacon. I'll take an apple juice to go with that.

I was able to make some progress out in the train shed yesterday. I finished up 11 more crates and the second fire escape. I also tested putting window glass into their frames. I could cut 70 pieces of styrene for the individual sashes, or just cut 35 pieces and cover the whole unit with one piece. So I checked that possibility out first since it would be easier.
IMG_7928 (2).JPG

Looks OK to me even from close up, so I will go with the single piece.
Assembled the last wall in place.
IMG_7925.JPG

I have a squeeze out of Walther's Goo that I will fix today. The result of the tight fit.
A few more shots of the completed walls and docks.
IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

Painting the tops of the walls and installing windows/doors is next. After that, the roof with it's details and applying the signs before weathering.

Terry - Hoping that you get over your reaction soon.
Joe - Well expressed rant yesterday. I agree with every word.
Ken - Are you able to consider taking time off for an interview?

Everybody have a wonderful day. Today is National Boss's Day. It used to have more meaning to me when I was actually a boss. Or El jefe (pronounced hef-ay in Espaniol). Stay safe everyone.

Morning all,

On late as I had to stop at Menard's when they opened, to pick up the rest of the cabinet parts that were missed the other day. I get off a bit earlier today.

48° and cloudy this morning going for a high of 64°, then about 40° overnight. I have yet to turn on the furnace. Supposed to get as high as the upper 70's by the middle of next week, when supposedly another front comes through. It is the middle of October, so not unexpected.

Not sure I'm going to get much done this weekend as we're going after the youngest granddaughter so mom and dad can work on the house. Then on Sunday, the oldest granddaughter has her 9th birthday. The party at our house where the parents of the youngest pick her up. I have a lawn to mow, help the neighbor lady fix a gate, clean up the house and then party and clean up...and church. Wife wants to go to Hallmark to pick up some preordered ornaments. I think I already have this year's Lionel train. I do have the whole series and some of the extras and specials.

Oh well, my be back later. otherwise everyone have a good weekend.

Got lucky yesterday at Costco

No, not that kind of lucky... Jeesh... can't take you gents anywhere...

I was looking to pick up a brisket flat. I'll tackle a whole brisket once I get the flat dialed in.

Last flat I got was in the $45-ish range for a 5 lb one. I wanted to go bigger this time, and was shocked when I saw the pricing. AND it looks like it jumped midday. I was shopping before noon. The flats that were out were in the 7 lb range. A few up to 9 lb. The one I got was at $9.19 per pound.

Other flats, right next to it were $11+ per pound. With the same Cook-by date on them.

Ugh... Cows are getting expensive...

Me likes Sancerre! ! ! !

It is the "Day of Days" [pardon the cheap BoB allusion] - - - We have 20+ Greek students coming tonight for home-made pizza. Yep, 20+.

WIfeykins plans to have the first two pizzas out at 6:45 and will produce 2 more every 15 minutes. I bought a case of Italian CHianti and 6 bottles of Sauv Blanc and two cases of beer. A costco size tub of Tzatziki and one of Hummus and a bunch of Naan bread for dipping. Putting a somking butt kit out front - policing the back yard for dog-mess and then mowing.

Lots of work to do, and will be a long day. But one of said Greeks has a most pretty girlfriend - so there is some payback!

Should be fun, but tiring. I'm getting to dang old for this. - - - - Steve J

Good Morning! Good morning from a place where it's 6:18am and 28F outside with a thick skiff of frost on everything that's not indoors.

MIA for awhile, not because anything is wrong. More like I was just not doing anything railroad related. Not modeling, not playing with a layout, and not taking rail photos. All those things are exactly what the forum is all about, so I feel I've got no business popping in if I'm not practicing what I preach.
I suppose I've entered into a wee bit of a depression, probably brought on by all the bullshit one has to wade through these days. For my own well-being, I retreated into the forest for awhile, and allowed all healing 'Nature' to do her work in making me come back to life.

Then, yesterday, I happened to be walking past the CN yard here in town. Low and behold, there was an oddly colored engine parked there. So out comes the camera from the safety of my vest pocket.
The thing about the local yard is, there are power poles everywhere. Engines are not parked with an artsy photograph in mind, so pictures are always going to have a pole or two in them.
CN 3934 was parked in an unusually horrific spot. She was crowded in by other engines and a fence line that wouldn't allow me to get good photos on the right side of the sun. Plus, there is always the poles strung with ugly wiring.
Here's a couple of shots of the engine parked:
CN 3934_10-14-2021 (1).jpg

CN 3934_10-14-2021 (2).jpg

I cannot reconcile that paint-job in my mind, but, I have not researched it either.

I observed to the east, that a line of railcars was left on the mainline tracks. So, I figured they were going to move that train sooner or later, and decided to hang around the area.
It didn't take long, about 1/2hr. Then they started to move; and I was taking photos all along.
Here's a couple of shots of the engines moving down to pick up the railcars, and then returning with the train:
CN 3934_10-14-2021 (3).jpg
CN 3934_10-14-2021 (4).jpg

In that 4th photo, the engines are bringing that long line of open hoppers to the local staging area, where they will drop off the cars. The engines will then pick up whatever loaded train is sitting in the staging yard, and begin the journey east to Edmonton.

This is first time I've seen that type of open hopper come into town. There were two types, both of which I took photos of as they moved past me.
CN 3934_10-14-2021 (5).jpg

CN 3934_10-14-2021 (6).jpg

I'm not sure what the plan is for those hoppers, but, they are definitely larger than what is usually brought in to carry gravel.

Well, there's my post for awhile. Can't say I will be coming in again any time soon. Think I'll grab the rifle and head out for a hunt. But, I'll be back, as soon as another interesting train comes by, or the snows come and I get to modeling again. That's going to happen sooner than later.

Everyone have a great day! And I really mean that.

Morning from the West where it is 55F and looking for 85F later on under clear skies!
It has been in the mid 40's a couple of nights and I had to light the furnace just to take the chill off when I awoke.
FLO -- I'll have the blue plate special this morning. Patrick seems to like it!

Nothing much happening around here to get excited about except just watching this State discriminate decline into a large pile of rubble! What's next? Oh yeah, let's ban all gasoline-powered lawn equipment and off-road thingys.

I am wondering if the powers to be are going to tie the VAX to unemployment and welfare payments? By rights, if they can mandate it for workers, then it should be tied to the folks on the dole too!

I better quit - not in a good mood today! TERRY -I pray that you are better today? KEN - Good luck with the interview and job hunt. Willie - Glad that Arlene is bored .. it means that she is better .. I think? STEVEJ - hope the party is a success ... sounds like a few frat parties I was involved with? GUY .. Good on you! Wish I could join you in the woods for a couple of days!
TomO - sorry to hear of the horses' plight! Working with the shelter here has opened my eyes as to how barbaric humans can be to defenseless animals and discard them like an empty beer can.
Ya'll take care .. BBL

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where Mother Nature reminds us she is still in charge. Our high for the day might be 49f degrees with rain and high winds. I believe She is trying to clear the trees of all leaves. Next week there will be days in the 70’s and strangely enough we have not had a frost yet. That normally occurs in the 1st 2 weeks of October.

guy of the north, welcome back, we missed you and the pictures.

Willie, glad that Arlene‘s recovery is heading in the right direction. That has to be tough were they operate to get you ready for the next operation.

SteveJ, does this group still contain the possible SIL or was he ejected a while ago? Have fun, rest later

Patrick, good luck at Menards a place I avoided until Covid for over 35 years. Had a incident with John Menard in a sale meeting where I voiced my displeasure at one of his demands to placing our products in his stores. Stupid me thought I could win that one, I didn’t.

Troy, have fun with the brisket. If it’s good the price won’t matter.

Christian, great pictures again, thanks. Never have I been a fan of wine, just never have found the right taste for me.

Thanks to all who have commented on my writings, pictures and memes. I pretty much have stopped posting at MRH forums, the Railwire and Atlasrescueforums. So this and the Railroad-line.com forums are it. Gives me more time in the day and you guys are much better informed then the other places. I am also starting to cut down on Facebook. I really like HO Shelf Layouts on FB as it is photo intensive with some good to great modelers. I should drop the 9 Facebook Buy/Sell groups I belong to because I have started to buy excessively again when I really had gotten to numbers of rolling stock that was manageable. Oh well it’s a burden I will have to live with.

We have a UW Womens hockey game on TV at noon to watch, they are in Duluth, Minnesota a trip we had planned to take but Covid isn’t reducing in Northern Wisconsin so over night was out. Also, Terry had planned on 10/15 to fly to Maui but that changed this week. She will fly to Burbank with me on the 23rd, overnight in Pasadena with my sister and fly out after a day or 2. I will join her on Maui the 1st week in November.

Some progress yesterday on the weathering projects both the concrete at the Paper mill and the pulp cars.

NHL, tried watching opening Tuesday night the Toronto/Montreal game. The 1st 2 periods were in French but the 3rd period was English. I try to avoid ESPN but have read good things on their coverage. Watched the Hawks/Colorado game for 5 minutes on Wednesday as I am a Hawk fan. I know 5 minutes doesn’t make a season but the Hawks are in worst shape then I imaged. Finally last night, the early games were blacked out on my streaming channel and at 10 last night when I checked they were playing all the early games but since I knew the scores turned that off. I completely missed on purpose the Tom Brady show and Eagle NFL game on Thursday night football.

Have a great day
TomO
E2E65D3F-301A-498C-84FC-39086011939B.jpeg
567F2332-4CC0-4605-AE99-6DA15EB252D4.jpeg

Christian: After TWO bottles of Vino - I hate to tell you what my track might have looked!
I hope you had a couple "stick loaves" to go with the wine? I used to hit the local bakery before getting on the crew bus with a garbage sack full of "sticks" to bring back for the family here!
I miss those days!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back