20210612_165647.jpg
20210612_165720.jpg
20210612_170252.jpg
20210612_170253.jpg
20210612_170254.jpg
20210612_170312.jpg
20210612_170944.jpg
20210612_170950.jpg

Good evening Shop Dwellers, just letting everybody know that I ain't dead yet!;) Gonna have to make this quick though...

I've been in "deep-sea-diving" mode the past week, using every minute of free time available so I could finish hanging the layout curtains. Technically the "hanging" part was finished on Tuesday, but when I did a final review I decided to make use of some of the leftover landscape cloth to cut out sections that were slightly longer than the ones I was replacing [to gain sufficient overlap], and to convert the ones leading to maintenance openings into "ribbon" style, so I wouldn't have to detach a full sheet if I ever need to get back there to fix a derailment. I spent most of Saturday doing that, then made a trip to Home Depot to get ~50 stainless-steel 11/4-inch outside diameter washers and spent up until ~7pm hot-gluing those to the inside bottom corners, to make the drapes fall more "naturally". As of now, I can consider that project done and move on to the next one: Installing 10 new 4ft LED light fixtures to properly illuminate the trainspace.

I see from a quick glance that a lot has been happening in here, and many excellent photos shared - sorry I don't have time to stay and comment on all of them but I need to get to bed soon since tomorrow is Monday and I ain't retired yet either...:rolleyes:

Chet - glad to see you got Molly's new companion safely home!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good evening gang

Ken, just like you I aint dead yet either. Spent most of the day yesterday wrenching on the grandsons 4 wheeler. Got it running and the garage cleaned up, took it for a ride around the yard 2 or 3 times, ann good. Took it for a blast around the block, ran great, til the last 100 yards or so when it seemed to lose power. shut it off as it was close to "date night". Today it will start, the die, and thats it.
After doing the lawn today and tilling up and seeding a section in the back yard where grass has never grown I was done.
I did get to the workbench this evening and made a little progress on the final Midland engine.
L8ter gang@

Went to LHS yesterday (Scale Model Supplies, St. Paul) and looked at a few things. Got some paints and did a mental inventory. They have a really nice selection of rolling stock, both RTR and kits. Great selection of paints and 'raw' materials (styrene, wood, metal) for modeling. I have my eye on this:

View attachment 128923

But I have heard that they are intricate models and tough to complete without breaking some of the finer parts. Does $18 seem a good price?

Does each model railroader have a particular style of car with which they infatuated? For me it is probably ice bunker reefers. Can't explain why, I just think they are the cat's meow.

Steve,

BRanchline boxcars/reefers aren't too hard, but definitely require some patience and care with glue. The heavyweight cars of theirs are the real challenge. I've done a boxcar or two, they're actually pretty nice.

As for particular cars, my collection seems to suggest I like grain hoppers. Good thing I stick with a granger railroad (and I work in the grain industry!). I have about 60 grain hoppers total, from a variety of model makers and decades. I have 20 of the old standby Roundhouse/Athearn kits all the way on up to the latest release of ScaleTrains, ExactRail and Intermountain cars. I have about 40 of those.

As I'm in the 1970's, when I put all of them together I end up with a very colorful hopper train, which I call Disco Inferno.

1.jpg

As for my frustration over MILW #156, my contacts in IRM have told me they aren't in a position to do anything. I'm seriously wondering if I should give Mervis a call and plead my case.

Good Morning!

She's gonna be a scorcher today! Supposed to hit 75°F in the searing sun, and be even warmer tomorrow. It never seems to be just nice for very long here. A person is either freezing or being cooked here in the north, and to get it to stay 60° with a bit of haze for any length of time seems to be a wish. The earth is not in the perfect spot in the solar system.

Willie has been posting some really good photos of his wonderful, lush garden. - I'm not sure if these photos of my Canadian patch of dirt will make him laugh or cry. We have a limited time to grow anything around here, and I'm thinking it had better get with it if it wants to survive.
In defense of my environment, though, this will grow very quickly over the next few months, and be lush and green come August. Here's the photo:
View attachment 129004
We have lots of butterflies, like this Swallowtail I took a photo of yesterday:
View attachment 129005
There was also an American Goldfinch in full breeding plumage snooping around the garden yesterday. Just couldn't get him to sit down long enough to get a photo. Darn modern electronic cameras arn't fast enough.

Tom - Nice sunset photo! - It's too warm for a fire. Fires are relaxing to sit beside, though. I find fires very friendly if one is careful with them.

Tom in Wis. - I see you have the same dilemma that I have when you take a great shot of a rail-bridge; no train! That's a very good photo of the bridge, none-the-less.

Jaz avalley - Thank you for all the modelling photos. Wonderful work done there, and photos add huge interest to posts.

Train photos! I'm going to make today the blurry train photo day!
I was driving when I saw a train crossing the road and heading to the staging yard.
View attachment 129006

The truck was turned around, and I tried to beat the train to the yard. Not much luck with that; the train was moving too fast.
I did manage to get a couple of shots of the lead engine and the 2nd as it was moving through the yard, but, those photos were taken through the only available hole in the tree-line. The train was moving fairly quick through the yard, as well, which caused the blur.
View attachment 129007

Suppose that's all the discussion I can add today. - I need to get outside a turn off the lawn sprinkler before it gets too hot.
Thanks for all the likes on my simple posts; and thanks for posting everyone!; especially the ones who take the time to post photos!

Have a good one!
And I appreciate your garden photos Willie was making me feel inadequate lol, although my bumper strawberry crop is starting so I have sone consolation I’ll go take pictures.

Morning all,

Clear and 70° this morning in Doo-Dah. Hopefully it stays quiet this morning. I need a break from the weekend 😄

Looks like the pool is still leaking, so now to find it. Garage door broke a hinge and still not sure how that happened, so I'm off to Lowe's later to get one. It never seems to end.
Got the trim fill in place on all the doors and the trim installed on 2. I had my handy battery powered brad nailer which would figure the battery died. So I got put back until it charged. I was too cheap to buy a second one at the time I bought the unit. I did get a second battery yesterday as I found I needed some more material, and got one at the local hardware store. Now to get the new trim cut and placed. Boy bought a new storm door for the front which has to be installed, but that can actually wait a bit. Should be pretty simple only taking me 3 times longer than it should as I'll have tools I need in 3 different places across town. Oh, for the simpler times when the kids all lived at home and I only had 1 house to work on...

Good morning global modelers. Earlier then normal for me. Flo, cinnamon bread French Toast this morning please with a sugar free or diet Dr Pepper. No, no bacon or ham this morning, ty. Yes, the chemical sugar free syrup.

it is 63 in the land known as the frozen tundra. Heading into the low 80’s and the deck today is cool and damp. Therefore after testing the deck I am in the love seat sideways in the big room. Terry is still sleeping, another 45 minutes usually and therefore the TV is off. The skies are perfectly blue and the breeze is at 2mph but not nice enough for the shaded deck. Hopefully in an hour or so!

Life interrupts things and we never made it yesterday to Spring Green and the drive inn. Terry changed her mind and we stayed home. Maybe today. We are plotting out a trip. We are thinking from home to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan to Duluth, Minnesota. Started checking the weather and schedules and we would need to do it starting Wednesday the 16th to the 21st. I have to be in Arizona on the 23rd. Or do it when I return. We have 1.5 days to figure it out.

I spent most of yesterday either on the south deck or the north decks and maybe more of the same today. The modeling bug has not hit me and has been missing for some time. However, the buying spree continues. A few more grain cars from a Facebook group. I am approaching the layout switching limits for rolling stock. Last night I pulled 9 cars off for sale as they are beyond my era and hadn’t seen much switching, so off they go. I have a goal of 50 pieces of rolling stock that are in switching use on the layout. I am at 38 when deducting the above mentioned 9. I have 2 of the 3 planned unit trains started but because those are run throughs they do not count against the 50.

Have a great day
TomO

Greetings all.

Kitchen is ***Mostly*** back together. Tile guy wanted to wait until Monday earliest before we set the heavy range and Refrigerator. We have a Blue Star gas range, 4-burner. Thing is built like yon proverbial battleship. Very heavy, but man, what a cooker! He will come tomorrow and help move those back in . Tempted to leave the fridge out in the garage, as SHE wants to replace it, but delivery dates are out there for almost everything. So I think we will move it in. Not too hard.

Wimped out last night as I actually had time, and capacity to wire up the Turntable and give it a try. But opted to sit with HER on the couch and watch TV. I did get her anklet fixed, which was nice.

Today I have a 'date' with my dermatologist. Last time we got together, she took a literal pound of flesh from my back. So she'll give me the once-over and I hope for a clean bill. Then this afternoon, am playing golf in an outing featuring vintage clubs. Don't know much about it, other than should be a benefit for Veteran programs. Hopefully I'll be back home in time to put power to the table tonight.

It will be nice to do something other than kitchen-related. Thankfully the heat and the dry put the lawn into shock, so don't need to cut. But as Patrick said, there is always something.

Cheers and God bless you all, ----Steve

Morning all,

Clear and 70° this morning in Doo-Dah. Hopefully it stays quiet this morning. I need a break from the weekend 😄

Looks like the pool is still leaking, so now to find it. Garage door broke a hinge and still not sure how that happened, so I'm off to Lowe's later to get one. It never seems to end.
Got the trim fill in place on all the doors and the trim installed on 2. I had my handy battery powered brad nailer which would figure the battery died. So I got put back until it charged. I was too cheap to buy a second one at the time I bought the unit. I did get a second battery yesterday as I found I needed some more material, and got one at the local hardware store. Now to get the new trim cut and placed. Boy bought a new storm door for the front which has to be installed, but that can actually wait a bit. Should be pretty simple only taking me 3 times longer than it should as I'll have tools I need in 3 different places across town. Oh, for the simpler times when the kids all lived at home and I only had 1 house to work on...
If the pool is leaking, why not dump in a couple of gallons of Stop Leak?

Good Morning!

It's likely to be one of the warmest days of the summer so far, reaching the up to the 80's. Kinda the wrong day to start building a new back-yard deck that I've been contracted to build for a local customer. I'll have to get started on the construction, though, because a promise is a promise and promises must be honored at all cost.
Once I get building, I'll probably be disappeared from the computer for a-bit. That's ok, because I need a break from this machine, anyway. I need to get that deck built, and I always work alone, so it will be tough on me.

James - I gotta say; that's quite the 35 acre train set. You must be stoked that you live so close to it. - As I was reviewing the photos, I was looking if I could see Sherrel in there somewhere. He was noted driving one of those type of locomotives in a very cool recent photo.

I can't hang around as I have to gather tools and make a move on the deck construction. Can't enjoy too much coffee, either. Who knows if there will be a convenient place to pee on site, and I might have to wait until coffee break.

I'll leave you with a few photos of HO rail cars I've purchased recently. I paid $19.00cdn for each shipped, which is about as good a deal as one can expect in the northern environment. These are Accurail with metal wheel sets and I don't know what kind of couplers, because I'm inexperienced. I was told the couplers are upgrades, along with the wheels sets.
Railcar_06-13-2021 (1).jpg

Railcar_06-13-2021 (2).jpg

Railcar_06-13-2021 (3).jpg

The LNE car needs some repair, as the walkway is loose and the break wheel is damaged. Both require some weathering.
I believe these will fit nicely into my desired early 60's era on the layout. I picked that time period, because it was the best time of my life; a period when folks could actually say they were free and could truly believe it; and when you could go to the store with the front door of your home unlocked. - Plus, I like GP-7's and 9's along with RS-3's.

Enough yap, I gotta go! Have a good one!

Summer has finally arrived here. It is supposed to reach a 98 degree high today and sneak into the 100's tomorrow.

CHET - Little, new Doxie sure has some pretty color to her. Daughter that is here and on her way to Japan later has a miniature smooth hair Doxie - he is 9 YO. Daughter's husband should be here in a couple days with their two pups; he overnighted in Monroe, LA, last night - I asked him if he was going to try and see the "Duck" guys!

We sure have not heard much from CURT, nor PHIL lately. I hope things are fine with them.

I hear the kids starting to move around! They spent 6 hours in the pool yesterday - they may have started growing gills by now?

Quick coffee, FLO ... I better see what they are tearing apart before the house comes tumbling down?
Later ...

Hello again. The sounds of freedom just buzzed the homestead. They didn’t look to high up as I could see the pilots and I could definitely feel the 3 flights of 2 each. F-16’s fighter jets

I was too slow with the iphone camera so this is from the Wisconsin National guard website. In 2022 these will be the F35’s instead of the olderF16’s.

TomO
3EEE1FA5-8CD2-418D-A11C-22517F4F08AC.jpeg

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 77° on the back porch. Only supposed to get to 93° today after 96° yesterday. Pool is at a perfect 82°, but I have a bit of an algae issue right now. It will take another day or two to correct, and unlike Patrick, I have no leaks yet this year.
It's time to resurrect my "spider stick". It's a piece of scrap 1" x 2" about 30" long that I wave around in front of me as I walk through certain areas of the estate, to clear the tenacious webs that a certain brownish-yellow spider adds to the landscape every night. I don't quite know what type it is, I don't think that it is a brown recluse spider though.
Ground is still too saturated to mow, except in the places that I have already mowed, so that's still off. I spent time yesterday spreading sulfur dust around to control chiggers. I haven't noticed any, and I am the first to get bit, but my wife claims that she got bit. Sulfur is cheap and she'll feel better seeing it spread around. I think that she actually got an ant bite. I spread sulfur two years ago and it's effects usually last 4-5 years. It doesn't kill them, but it deters them from coming around.

Just a BLT for me today Flo. Make it a diet A&W root beer to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Sherrel, Tom O, Guy, Garry, Patrick, Chad, Karl, Justin, Gary.

I only did some minor work in the train shed yesterday, as I was enjoying the pool for much of the afternoon. For all intents and purposes, I have finished Woody's Country Mart except for final assembly of the front porch. I am awaiting the replacement dry transfers to allow me to complete the signs.
IMG_6583.JPG

I also completed the left side with the flower trellis, hose, dolly and overhead light.
IMG_6582.JPG

I am about to do some minor touch-up painting later today.

Guy - Garden looks nice. I do realize that our growing seasons don't overlap. In two months you'll be covered in green while I am faced with brown dried up vegetation. That spinach in the foreground is ready to go. I don't know about you, but I just pick the outer larger leaves when we want some, and the rest of the plant continues to grow.
Chet - The only real rest areas in Texas are on the Interstates, and they are scarce. But there's a Dairy Queen in every small town. Congratulations on the new addition.
James - That looks like a really neat place to visit.

Gotta go now, everyone have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
Guy - Garden looks nice. I do realize that out growing seasons don't overlap. In two months you'll be covered in green while I am faced with brown dries up vegetation. That spinach in the foreground is ready to go. I don't know about you, but I just pick the outer larger leaves when we want some, and the rest of the plant continues to grow.

We have THREE seasons here that I have divided up as follows:
Almost Summer .... Summer .... Almost Winter!
1623684435385.png

Howdy ....

Everybody: ..... Has anybody heard from Curt lately ? ? I miss seeing him here. Last I heard, hi mother was very ill, and we have been praying for her.

Willie ..... Your country market look very good !

Tom ( Cambria ) .... Nice sunset .

Chet ..... I'm glad to hear your trip was successful. Congratulations on your new addition (Olivia)

Sherrel and James ..... I like your photos of large scale model railroading out doors. My father's hobby was live steam and he operated with 1 1/2" to the foot scale.

Everybody : ...... Happy Model Railroading.

Hello Shop Dwellers, we've got 78*F and calm under threatening skies, possible T-storm looming on the western horizon.

The "likes" on my brief Sunday evening post are very much appreciated: Tom of Cambria, Hughie, Troy, Sherrell, Guy, Rick, Steve, Patrick, Gary, Tom-O, Karl. I went back as far as page 14 to catch up on the posts, don't really have time read the entire week's worth.

Today was a full work day for me, so not enough free time left over for any meaningful progress in the trainroom. Probably just as well, I think I need to decompress a bit from my week-long layout drapery marathon.

Tom (Cambria) - I actually saw a sunset yesterday that looked almost as pretty as yours in my front yard yesterday. Tried to snap a photo with my cellphone camera, but the vivid colors got all washed-out to pale yellow so I didn't even bother posting it.

Steve - your kitchen looks great! And congrats on tackling the plumbing challenge - that's always been my Achilles Heel as far as handiwork goes.

James - I bet all the kids love seeing that Burro crane in action! Does it actually have a working hoist and clamshell bucket...or does it just sit and "look purty?" Inquiring minds want to know...

Guy - I really like those Accurail outside-braced wood boxcars! Accurail is one of my favorite manufacturers, their competitive pricing and quality make them what I consider to be the "Blue Box" of modern times. All of my auto rack cars are by Accurail - that was the only way I could afford to build a roster for my auto assembly plant [lol]!

...oh crap, that storm is closer than I thought - gotta get off NOW!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back