Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad - looks like your driving philosophy is the same as mine! On roads where the LEOs can setup radar, I don't go more than 9mph above the posted limit. And I've always tried to avoid being the pack "leader" when traffic is moving faster than that [typical in my area]; of course, once in a while the car in front of me will change lanes and I'll suddenly find myself in the leader spot and have to slow down accordingly. Along these lines, I once saw a comical bumper sticker that was probably geared more toward safety than avoiding a ticket, it read: Drive it like you stole it!
Totally agree, Ken. Usually I tried to stay in the middle of the pack. When I would lose the leader or become the tail end, I’d have to slow down to the speed of traffic. Another sticker I’ve seen is “I’m it speeding. I’m qualifying”.

JAZ - Love the Beatlebug! My best friend in HS had a VW bug same color as your pic. His father was a single parent in the Army stationed in Germany. Rod was the only kid in my class to have a car - and there was only one other boy a couple years older who had wheels! We about ran the wheels off that little car. It would be four of us crammed into it sliding around the curves on gravel roads - we collected bottles, scrap iron, and anything we could find to put gas in it! Lots of memories!
Sherrell - funny you should mention that: My very first car was a 1967 VW Beetle in dark green! I put over 150K miles on it, driving to all of my favorite train-chasing spots throughout Maryland, PA, and WV. Here are two photos, the first is the prototype parked in the background when I shot this group photo of my friends at the B&O Riverside Shops in Baltimore [faces intentionally blurred]; the second is a 1:87 model that I hand-painted to resemble it, parked on my layout. Both photos are excerpts from larger images so they're somewhat grainy...

TheGangAtRiverside.gif
HOscaleVW_OnLayout.gif

The model is going to be my "wheres Waldo" object that will appear in many of my layout photos, since that vehicle was always very close by during my railfanning days...it was "a part of me."

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 55.
Ignoring myself to take care of my wife seems to be catching up to me. More later.
Don't let that happen or there will be no one to take care of her. Make sure that you are taking vitamins and meds, drinking plenty of fluids and getting some nutrition and rest. Who cares if you forget to shower occasionally? The medical teams will take care of Marie in your absence. They only get paid if she lives; sorry to be so blunt there.
My heartfelt best wishes and my prayers are with you in these trying times.

Good Morning gang!

Happy Thursday to one and all!

Terry, I have to agree with Willie on this one, Don't forget to take care of yourself. We will keep the positive thoughts and prayers coming.

Sherril, I thought you would like my book suggestion!!

Time to work, BBL

Morning Peeps: A chilly 43 this morning loking for 68 later on with mostly sunny! It is supposed to be in the 80's by Saturday - I'll welcome it!

FLO - Good Day to you as well -- I'll have the breakfast steak with eggs up, potatoes and lots of gravy, please! I'd like a DP to drink - NO MORE COKE PRODUCTS FOR ME!

Nothing RR today - I have to get out to the MIL's place and help my BIL try and finish the wiring on the RV. Still have not found anything that makes the fuel pump go "Oink"!

As Karl said, BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 53°. Porch is wet so it must have rained last night. It's too dark to accurately read the rain gauge just yet, but it looks like 0.8". Verified by the Weather Underground station around the corner. Perfect timing for the garden. Speaking of the garden, I spotted flowers on a number of tomato plants yesterday...won't be too long.
Since today is technically the last day of the tax season, my wife's contract with H&R Block is over. She has a lot of clients booked for today so I am postponing the weekly grocery/beer trek by a day. They offered her a continuation contract for 2-3 days a week at a drop in pay from #33/hour to $15/hour and she chose not to accept it. Her office's loss since she is the only EA (Enrolled Agent) at her office who can do many types of difficult tax returns. They are going to have to send those clients 32 miles away to an office in Denton instead! The continuation contract also does not include the percentage bonus that the regular contract has, and is for only four hours a day. Just not worth it!

Dreary morning today Flo, maybe a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a large handful of bacon will brighten things up.

Thanks for the likes yesterday on my slow project progress; Joe, Sherrel, Karl, Garry, Hughie, Justin, Gary, Ken, Guy.

OK, out to the train shed and yesterday's progress. I did get all of the scuppers and downspouts made, painted and attached to the AC contractors shop/office.
IMG_6021.JPG

I also touched up some of the concrete coping along the top of the walls. For the windows, I simply attached black construction paper to the inside of the walls.
I made some other invisible progress on the cleaning project, vacuuming the track and some surrounding areas.
Continuing on with the photo tour of the town of Vernon, the next batch of pictures shows the businesses lined up on the other side of Main Street, which faces the main line and part of a passing siding.
IMG_5981.JPG

The initial structure is a backdrop building representing the local newspaper's office and printing facilities, it's made from DPM modular wall sections.
IMG_5977.JPG

Partly blocked by the school bus is a small florist shop made from a sub-kit to a Pikestuff kit.
IMG_5978.JPG

This photo also shows a small Bar Mills laser-cut wood structure of Louie's Cigar Store.
Moving further south is Tina's Tick-Tock Shop. A clock store which were common before the days of Walmart and Target.
IMG_5979.JPG

This is a Smalltown kit. I don't remember whether it was actually a clock shop or not, but that's what I made it. Early Smalltown kits came without interiors or signs which many now have.
Lastly on this block is Saulena's Tavern, another laser-cut kit from Bar Mills.
IMG_5980.JPG

This block is incomplete since I have no more suitable structures that will fit the narrow area. That's one reason that not all of the landscape is complete. It's on the project list somewhere.

Jaz -
How did I miss the naked man on a motorcycle?! I love motorcycles :p.
It wasn't a recent post. We have a Coffee Shop visitor who is on what we hope is just a temporary hiatus, named Beady. He had quite a history of posting edgy but amusing photos. Believe me, you couldn't see the motorcycle underneath the overabundance of flesh.
Ken - My first car was a used '61 VW. Bought it in '72 for $400 just after getting married. Had to get rid of it in '78 because my seven-month pregnant wife didn't like getting up at 5 in the morning to give it a push to get it started any more. Found out from the new owner later that it was just a disconnected wire that neither me or a mechanic was able to find.
Karl - I liked the book suggestion.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and continue to socially distance.

Good Morning!
Sun is just coming up, revealing a cloudless blue sky at 32°F. It's gonna be a beautiful day.
I will be heading downtown sometime today, to see if I can get a few photos. I don't want to waste a day like this.

Back in the day, I drove a VW beetle around as well. Mine was a blue 1972 model. It got passed onto my little brother when I bought a 1970 Mustang.
My first car in history, though, was a 1963 Corvair that looked exactly like this:
63 Corvair.jpg

I pumped gas at the local ESSO after school to get that car. I was the only 16 year old who had a car among my group of close friends. We would bomb around all over the country side in that car. Lots of fun!

Friends, I'm going to repost a couple of images showing the two different Conrail blue, ex-LMS (Locomotive Management Services) C40-8W's that are now operated by CN and patched 'IC'. At this point, I'm not sure if CN or IC owns them, but, I'm leaning toward Illinois Central as being the actual owner.
I'm trying to track down the histories of these two engines. - Both engines were built in 1994 on the same order for LMS, and were operated as LMS 729 and LMS 739.
Here is a borrowed photograph of CN 'IC' 2466 in a prior life, as the original LMS 739:
LMSX 739_CN 2466.jpg

I'm not any kind of a researcher. I just find it interesting to search a-bit; how did a blue locomotive working for CN come to be in my small town?!

Here are photos of the two different engines I've caught in town at different times:
CN 2456_C40-8W_12-25-2020.jpg

CN 2466_C40-8W_04-07-2021 (1).jpg

I feel very fortunate to have gotten photographs of those two engines as they passed through this little town in the north. Very good luck!

Thanks for the likes on my posts; I don't list names, but, you know who you are.
I'm truly sorry to hear of the health and hospitalizations happening during this time. God's mercy with that.

I'll have a toasted sausage sandwich and a coffee, and then I have to get on with it! Have a good one!

Good morning from Austin, Texas where we are at the son’s place. 63f degrees heading to 71 but cloudy. At home in Wisconsin it might hit 50. The trip today has been delayed and the flight is now scheduled for 2pm. The son is currently staying at the hangar he keeps his planes in. Up the stairs into what would be parts storage or office. He has roughly 2500sq. ft and it looks good, skylights no windows though. He has a lease to own on the hangar and there are 3 others he knows are living there. It is loud at times. He has property east of Austin but the contractors are crazy busy. He has stopped looking at pre-owned housing as much of it has to remodeled anyway, so he designed what he wants. It looks nice.

When we got here yesterday morning he asked if we were hungry. Terry said yes, they both love brisket and Terry said Freemans. He laughed and said too late we needed to be in line already. We ended up a place that had great BBQ but damn if I can remember the name.

Terry, the folks have told you above but I agree, you have to take care of yourself.

Driving, I grew up learning to drive on the expressways of Chicago in the 60’s. The high school driving instructor did the classroom stuff per the book. But towards the end of the actual driving lessons pulled our driving group of 3 aside one day and said he will show us how to really drive. He did it to all his groups. Other then dad who basically taught me defensive driving first the instructor he showed us talking why defensive the whole way that day. For the next 2 weeks we all got behind the wheel and had to explain as we drove what we saw and what we were going to do. I have driven all over the USA, Germany, Ireland, France and Italy. I think the Italians were the worst I have driven alongside In Europe. While I have been in Great Britain I never driven there. Overall though, totally the worst drivers worldwide were in Mexico City with Bombay second. I think Wisconsinites in the USA feel the most privilege on the road, they seem to want to push you aside. Most of the other places in the USA west of the Mississippi the speeds and the inattentiveness are the craziest. These were all business trip related and I do not miss that traveling.

Maui is a 5 hour time difference from Wisconsin. I will post occasionally saying hi but later in the day. Keep the great pictures going Boris, willie and guy. Everyone be healthy and safe.
Tom

Good morning, y'all. Another cloudy, wet Jersey day.

Willie:
Not for nothing, the contract Block offered your wife was insulting... She was right to turn it down.

Terry: Yes, definitely take care of yourself, or you will be of no use to your wife. This is physically and mentally taxing, and you aren't getting any younger either. Prayers and good wishes for both of you.

Guy: I always liked the Corvair...

Thanks for the replies.
The problem right now is my teeth. I’ve let them go, and put off regular appointments, but in the last two weeks I’ve managed to break two, along with stuff I needed done, but put off.
Imagine my surprise when I tried to make an appointment with the dentist, and discovered my employer had removed me from the dental plan. So I’m uninsured.
Trying to figure out what to do now, since dental work ain’t cheap, and most of our savings have gone to take care of my wife's difficulties.

Chad - looks like your driving philosophy is the same as mine! On roads where the LEOs can setup radar, I don't go more than 9mph above the posted limit. And I've always tried to avoid being the pack "leader" when traffic is moving faster than that [typical in my area]; of course, once in a while the car in front of me will change lanes and I'll suddenly find myself in the leader spot and have to slow down accordingly. Along these lines, I once saw a comical bumper sticker that was probably geared more toward safety than avoiding a ticket, it read: Drive it like you stole it!
My other half drives like he owns the road,we were coming back from picking my youngest up from the railway he was doing the limit and a red deer walked out in front he swerved I got a good look at the deer as we wizzed past luckily no oncoming traffic as we were in the oncoming lane,he did an escape and evade course,and can make you wonder if you just peed your pants,his motorbike used to do over 150 when the speed cameras could only detect upto 152 miles, he was once stopped after a chase by police by more ahead of the two bikers,and was asked,is the runway not lon enough for you wing commander, then when he realised he was in the forces was given a get out of jail,but told if caught in the next 3 months they would book him regardless,he could pull a wheelie on his 750 Yamaha although he needed a 20+ stone passenger, not me I hasten to add I was Half that weight in those days.

I beg to differ. They are much more orderly drivers and adhere to common practices. There are jerk and bad drivers everywhere and the manly, arrogant businessmen in their BMW/Mercs are one case of that [in Germany], but I never regularly saw, in all my driving in Germany, the careless lane changing (especially without signaling), weaving in and out of traffic (on a regular basis), the regular driving in the left lane by slow drivers who refused to move over, the clueless drivers unaware of their surroundings, etc. Stuff we see every day here. I won't say I never saw any of that, I just never regularly saw that.

I can list a ton of German driving faults and problems, but they don't outweigh the entitled clueless driving in the US.

Btw, you don't need an international license in Germany. After 1 year of driving there on your US license, you need to get a German license (which can be as easy as getting an official translation of your US license, taking an eye test, and paying a fee -- depends on which state (US) or country you have an existing license in) . If you were there as military, special Status of Forces rules apply with a military Certificate of License. I have a German license somewhere in my packed away stuff :) The German license never expires. But when I go I drive on my US license, as a visitor, as I don't want to get any points against the German one in case I get blitzed by a photocop for something.

Your mileage obviously varies from mine in this issue. Which is fine. My whole point is that they make unlimited speeds on the Autobahn possible as a whole country and one reason it works is that the drivers are better trained and act more responsibly (overall). (unlimited speed in some stretches -- more and more stretched get speed limits as traffic volumes go up as I understand it).
As a UK driver who has driven over loads of Europe, I have seen sone dodgy driving,the habit of having W different name/numbers for roads,so you can accidentally follow one instead of changing motorway is a pain,but I hate the French the most,they photograph you on the motor way and off and if you have speeded it works you out and fines you,the French tend to stop and eat at a motorway restaurant,total rip off prices,but. Cheaper than a ticket,and they will park their cars anywhere,ignore one way roads and stop and walk away on one lane back roads in the city leaving you stranded,their cars are also the most beat up,I was once outside a famous restaurant - I cannot remember the name, but a rolls Royce and another expensive car were parked outside,a beaten up mini french plates tried parking between them it hit the rolls Royce then the other car before finally parking at 9p degrees and walked off! if the pavement is free they will drive on that,the French are proper maniacs. `most other Europeans are reasonable, with just occasional nutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back