Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ya I ordered one more transfer caboose......yup I did a MOW UP/MP in that MOW green color. This will be my 3rd one!

MP #7502.jpg

I gotta tell ya these cabeese are really awesome and full of details.

I have been looking to purge some of my older cabeese...... to purge and upgrade some of them with the new detailed ones that are out there. I may have about 26 in total but when all is said done I will have about 12 or 14 of them.

I am actually looking for a 4th (transfer caboose) one as well. Which I will disclose later.... :cool: as to what that will be.....

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It is now 27*F with a few clouds and a 1mph ENE wind in my town 10mi west of Baltimore. Hunkered down for the next winter storm that's suppose to start at ~4:00am; snow blower gas tank is full, and I also test-ran the generator in the event we get ice instead of snow.

Didn't do any mrr stuff today, SWMBO and I went to Ash Wednesday evening Mass since we were prevented by icy roads from going to any of the Masses last weekend. And now I'm replying to threads here [well I suppose you could possibly call that an mrr activity?]

Willie and the rest of you guys in TX - looks like you'll get some temperature relief by the weekend, though I'm sure it'll be a while longer before life can return to normal for everyone there...

Karl - I also need to invest in some of those stationary rollers, they'd come in real handy when I want to clean my wheels.

Garry - I'm glad you got safely back to KY ahead of the next storm. Was your house ever without power during your absence?

Guy - I have 4 of those Genesis GP9's factory-painted in the B&O Enchantment Blue w/Yellow scheme, and they're my favorites in the roster. They came equipped with Tsunami decoders, but I plan to swap those out with ESU's at some point.

Tom-O: Glad to see that your son's situation in TX appears to be improving. Your grain complex structures are lookin' good!

Tom-C - the detail on that 53ft trailer is really over the top!

Well it's time for me to go now, 5:30am comes awfully quick - and since I work remotely, I can't use the snow as an excuse! Goodnight y'all...

Burrrrrrrr, the Hobo is back, slightly frozen but back. The power went off at 2:00 AM Monday and didn't return until about 2 hours ago. Have no idea what a ROLLING BACKOUT is. I got some 7 pages to catch up on, so I see you tomorrow,
Chet - Get well soon

STAY SAFE AND WARM

LATER

Good morning....Coffee Flo while I type. Thanks for the likes on the trailer, they did a nice job on them.
James- Those transfer cabooses are nice. I got 3 myself 2 CSX and a Chessie System. I added a couple of workers to one for a high and wide train. I cut the tool handle off of one and did a little touch up paint to make it look like he's holding a coffee.
IMG_2332.jpg
IMG_2331.jpg

Good morning y'all. It is cold, dark, and wet.

Enough about the weather.

Flo- I need coffee and a big ol plate of bacon to warm up please. The coffee shop seems to have done a fair amount of trade yesterday. I'll be in the corner catching up. Oh, I am feeling generous this morning so make sure that everyone who comes in today gets a heaping helping of bacon, on me. I'll foot the bill for coffee too, but if they want booze in it they gotta pony up for it.

i'll be back.jpg

Good morning....Coffee Flo while I type. Thanks for the likes on the trailer, they did a nice job on them.
James- Those transfer cabooses are nice. I got 3 myself 2 CSX and a Chessie System. I added a couple of workers to one for a high and wide train. I cut the tool handle off of one and did a little touch up paint to make it look like he's holding a coffee.View attachment 124921View attachment 124922
Looks like he's holding a beer... I'm not really sure how to make it look any different, even though I have a stainless steel coffee mug. Maybe that's why people have been looking at me funny when I've taken a sip of coffee while driving.

Good morning y'all. It is cold, dark, and wet.

Enough about the weather.

Flo- I need coffee and a big ol plate of bacon to warm up please. The coffee shop seems to have done a fair amount of trade yesterday. I'll be in the corner catching up. Oh, I am feeling generous this morning so make sure that everyone who comes in today gets a heaping helping of bacon, on me. I'll foot the bill for coffee too, but if they want booze in it they gotta pony up for it.

View attachment 124923
Aren't you Bach yet?

Good Morning from Southern Oregon, land of moderate weather, you guys in the nations mid section---wowie, zowie!
Flo, I'd take Jesse up on his offer of a blanket of bacon and coffee to go please.......
I've been away for a while, just catching up on other things going on, house, family, life! I'm not retired yet (one of the things I'm currently working on,) so I don't have a whole lot of time for computer stuff, which I'm not very good on anyway..........
Everybody's projects are looking good, great stuff! Makes me yearn to work on my layout room, but to tell ya, I am just not that sure I will be able to keep this house when I do retire.......Im working on it though!
Alright, moving on..... a couple of summers ago a buddy and I made a trip to the far (east side) of Nevada on a camping trip. On one of our days exploring around, we came across an abandoned farm house, always a place of interest to look around. Sometimes good luck does happen, just up the road was a guy feeding cattle, so we went up there to talk to him and see if he new the owner of the farm. He did know the owner, it was him! Nice guy, we asked about looking around the place, do some metal detecting, he had no problem with that....awesome!
We did find some things 'tecting but that is not for here, what I wanted to show is what I had found in the kitchen of the house under a piece of curled up linoleum on the floor, from The Saturday Evening Post dated September 21, 1946
IMG_20210205_151932803.jpg

Here is the full page, and three other pages.
IMG_20210205_151922302_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210205_151901022.jpg

IMG_20210205_151528299.jpg

IMG_20210205_151518735.jpg

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY-----STAY SAFE!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 21°, possibly going up to 32° later today. We seem to be holding out OK on this sixth day of deep freeze. Still have five gallons of unopened drinking water left and it's possible that the rolling blackouts have stopped. Last night, we had power from 5:10 until 8:10, three hours on after just an hour off. I went to bed shortly after and I don't know about overnight, but every time that I took a bathroom break, the power was on and it's on this morning. Cannot tell if it's back on for good because the electric provider's website has not been informative at all. They just keep the statement from the state's energy grid up that explains the what and why of the rolling blackouts. All plumbing is frozen solid as a result of the water company's failure to provide enough pressure to even keep faucets dripping. Things won't thaw out until Saturday at best although it will get above freezing for a few hours Friday. Mid to upper 60's starting Tuesday. I am already on my plumbers wait list although he can't give an ETA yet. Heck, if I am lucky no pipes will burst since the water slowed to a trickle and the freeze-up was slow. The new beer fridge on the back porch worked well.
1613649412281.png

The plan is right now to head to Dallas to my daughter's home tomorrow and do laundry and shower up before returning home tomorrow evening. Important to keep the fire going. The dishwasher is full, but we still have plenty of utensils to last another week except spoons which I will wash in melted snow and rinse in some of the drinking water. Wood burning stove has done it's usual remarkable job in keeping the whole house warm so I was able to use one of the supplemental electric heaters to help the ones in the train shed to at least keep everything just barely above freezing out there. I moved these photoelectric LED pathway lights from the porch, inside to provide some light that works better than candles.
IMG_5676.JPG

During the power outages in the daytime, we've been busy doing a difficult jigsaw puzzle, at night we play strip poker with large readable cards in the reduced light.

Poached eggs and a lot of bacon (if Jesse left any) with my OJ this morning. I don't drink coffee so I'll pass on his offer for that.

Thanks for all of the likes on the sporadic postings over the last week.
Thanks also for all of the well wishes from all forum members during this unusual weather issue that we're experiencing. It too will pass.

Needless to say, I miss the train shed, although I went out there for about 20 minutes of train running yesterday while we were still in the blackout mode during an on phase.

Can't comment on all of the posts from the past week, but a few stand out.

Tom O - Sorry to read that your trip to the islands was a bust. There will be another opportunity soon.
Hughie - In your area, I see that my childhood buddy and classmate for 9 years during the 60's, Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale opened up his furniture stores as warming centers for Houstonites. He had previously done so during hurricanes Harvey and Imelda. I just noticed that the Wikipedia article about him no longer has his interest in race horses documented.
Jim - I am actually about 65 miles north of the DFW area. As such, we were spared the ice and only got snow.
Karl - Glad to read that the recovery is going well.

I am going to sign off now, and monitor the rolling blackout to see if it really is over. Everybody have a great day, Stay warm and safe.

Greetings.

We're a balmy 16° F in NE Indiana this morning with light flurries. Enough to make me wish for a vacation in Cancun. But, I'll settle for a cup of dark roast and a cookie.

No Train work yesterday. I seem to be on Little Soviet Dudes kick right now. I've got about 80 of them to put together. And that's like laying track. I'd rather do anything else in the hobby. So I persevere and go while I have momentum in the unwanted task.

Hoping Willie, Hobo and the rest of the Texas contingent stay warm, and don't get too stinky waiting on the weather to warm up and everything to thaw out.

Need to word some words. Introducing a Pixie Air Force Colonel to the story. I had to message a real USAF colonel to ask questions about what he'd do in situation X (finding a dead body).

Stay warm everyone!

Just found out that the reason that we had power all night was that the local water company worked something out with the power company to leave our grid on long enough for them to refill their nearby overhead tank and get everybody's water pressure back to near normal. No estimate on how long. While I know that the tank about 1.25 miles south is in our grid, I don't know if the one NE is also. Still won't do me any good with the frozen pipes right now. I guess that eyesore on the southern horizon finally did us some good!

James- Those transfer cabooses are nice. I got 3 myself 2 CSX and a Chessie System. I added a couple of workers to one for a high and wide train. I cut the tool handle off of one and did a little touch up paint to make it look like he's holding a coffee.View attachment 124921View attachment 124922

That's awesome! Nice work on the workers! :cool:

Flo, more coffee please. Also a fresh round of bacon, but this time add a couple of scrambled eggs with cheese and some buttered toast please. Two slices will be fine, I'm trying to lower my carb intake so just add an extra pound of bacon. 🥓

Patrick- I did encounter the USO and thankfully lived to tell about it. However it appears to be gone again to wherever it came from and it is uncertain when, or if, it will return.🤷‍♂️

Willie- Good luck with the water pipes, hopefully damage will be minimal. Remember when it took computers ten minutes to boot up after a normal shutdown? Scary to think about how long a reboot took when not properly shut down. 😱 Nice beer fridge.

Karl- You saw it too? 🛸

Garry- Glad you made it home safely.

Toot-
i'm back.jpg

However, I am not musically talented enough to be Bach.

So ya I ordered one more transfer caboose......yup I did a MOW UP/MP in that MOW green color. This will be my 3rd one!

View attachment 124916

I gotta tell ya these cabeese are really awesome and full of details.

I have been looking to purge some of my older cabeese...... to purge and upgrade some of them with the new detailed ones that are out there. I may have about 26 in total but when all is said done I will have about 12 or 14 of them.

I am actually looking for a 4th (transfer caboose) one as well. Which I will disclose later.... :cool: as to what that will be.....

Great looking. I have been close to pulling the trigger for a Milwaukee Road transfer caboose from Fox Valley. Best prices I have found are at Lombardhobby.com

I would turn into my free lance RR.

TomO

Howdy ...

Sherrel, Willie, and IB Ken ..... Thanks for commenting on my post about driving home.

Ken.. ...... I'm pleased to say the house did not lose power.

Jerry ... I like the old Chevy truck advertisement you posted. .... I have similar looking Chevy tricks at my lumber yard.

36755040906_e173370f74_b.jpg

Everybody: ..... Have a good day.

Burrrrrrrr, the Hobo is back, slightly frozen but back. The power went off at 2:00 AM Monday and didn't return until about 2 hours ago. Have no idea what a ROLLING BACKOUT is. I got some 7 pages to catch up on, so I see you tomorrow,
Chet - Get well soon

STAY SAFE AND WARM

LATER

Mr. Hobo

glad you have the power back. You were out longer then our kid in Austin. Got his electricity back back around 10:30am on Wednesday out since 8am Monday. He also never got into the rolling part either. Now though no water or sewers for him.

TomO

Well good morning everyone from Wisconsin.

Thanks for the comments on my postings and the good lucks to our son in Austin, Texas. What a mess, but he said he’s fine and will learn to be better prepared. He hoped the state officials have learned from this unless they really want the immigrants from California to take over. He is scared for his electric Bill.

I posted I had put the ladders, cages and landings together for the grain bins. I then lost interest, hopefully today.

These 4 showed up from a friend in Fort Worth. I am starting to adding rolling stock from others freelance railroads.

Be safe
TomO
B2A8EF4E-5453-4489-8CAB-91455834B409.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back