Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shop Dwellers, temp is maintaining at 33*F - just barely above freezing - hope it goes back up like they're predicting and not back down, otherwise the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow will be ICE.

Chet - sorry to hear about the Covid, got you on the prayer list!

Willie, Hughie, GT and all you guys down South - hope this freak winter weather doesn't cause too much harm or hardship for you, I know some of you used to live farther north but all lot of the natives in your part of the country have never even been exposed to stuff like this!

I finally succeeded in getting the drill holes properly aligned, so I was able to get the rest of the grabirons installed on the F7 shell today. To faithfully reproduce my target prototype, I also needed to drill a few holes for studs that could support a short access walkway on the engineer's side:

Stewart_F7_WalkwayStuds.jpg

In the prototype photo, there is no visible underside bracing supporting the platform - it looks as though it was slid thru a narrow slit in the body. Hopefully these studs will remain hidden at most photo angles.

After the walkway, I tackled the remaining grabs on the right front area of the cab. I was 95% done when I shot this photo - I still needed to install the brakeman grabs over the pilot:
Stewart_F7_WalkwayWithGrabirons.jpg

This is about as close to prototype appearance as I could get with the materials I had on hand. I must have broken a half-dozen #80 drill bits, and hissed a generous amount of nautical jargon, before all was said and done!

...and that's about all I have for tonight, just wanted to be able to share what I was able to get done over the weekend. Good night and stay warm!

the phrase is “Great White North”
Actually, it was referred to as the 'Great White' decades before Bob & Doug began producing their historical documentaries highlighting Canadian culture.

Take off you hoser!
The proper pronunciation in Canadian is 'Take off, eh! Hoser' or 'Take off hoser, eh!'. Either is acceptable on a beer drinking day of fishing on the ice, or a hockey game on a frozen swamp.

Willie with all them motorcycles.....all you need now is an HO scale orangutan! Then do an "Every which way but loose" scene! 🐵 🤣

Here ya go Willie! I found Clyde! Now all ya need is Olympia Beer!

Morning all.... 1-2 inches of the white stuff spread across the Fort (NE Indiana).

Temp 13° F so far

Probably another 7 inches to fall tonight. I need to go clear the crap off the patio and walk so I have room for the rest of what comes in tonight.

I foresee a bunch of shoveling in my future....

No train time last evening, but I did put together another 7 of the 8 on Uncle Joe's WWII Army. Not sure if I'll be basing these for Barbarosa in the countryside, or Stalingrad. We'll see as things progress.

Good morning.....Government holiday today,need to rest up snow later into Tuesday ,8-10" will keep me busy. Coffee Flo need to enjoy this one tomorrow will be on the go.
Chet- Get well soon.
Willie- So much for global warming, better snow then ice though.

Morning all,

- 10° this morning with wind chill of -27°. Too darn cold. Need a gallon of coffee this morning just to get started. Took the wife to work. Everything shut down but the daycare she works at.

Lost power for 1.5 hours overnight. I was worried it would be out longer. At least we're warm. Gotta get the snow blower running in a little bit. Not going to be as fun as New Years, something about 40° temp difference. It was 31° back then with no wind.

Good morning. It’s raining and 30. It warmed up and cooled off several times over the weekend, so there isn’t a lot of ice around. It’s supposed to make it up to 38 later today, which should take care of the rest, just in time for more.

Good Morning all. 1 degree in the Ozark Foothills. We got about 4” of snow last night with maybe up to 10” before it’s done. Took today off staying in. Flo. Grits and Raisin Toast. When I woke up this morning found the 2 more Chicks has hatched possibly one more might hatch today. Stay warm and safe.
1A92F577-89A8-4FCE-952E-E9A4AFC8D57A.jpeg

Let's try this again.

It is cold, cloudy, and we have a chance of continued wet stuff failing from the sky. I'm beginning to feel like Bill Murray. Not even sure what day it is, if in fact they are changing.

Flo-More coffee and my usual plate of bacon please. Still undecided on a larger breakfast yet.

Willie- Not sure about the effects of the Arctic blast. It may rain. It may snow. It may be 80 degrees. I live in South Carolina where the weather is made up and the forecast doesn't matter. I'm not too upset about the damage. Better now than after fully detailed. Besides, a) it's only cardboard, I'm not really out much, and b) I was already thinking of redoing both anyway. I decided the roof style didn't really match the era I want the building to be from. I am hoping to acquire a shed for the purpose of railroad activities only, but time will tell. What I am really eyeing is the loft in my MILs barn. It needs a lot of work to be ready, but that barn has me chomping at the bit. Bottom level would hold all of my cars and the loft would provide much needed real estate for my railroad to expand.

Chet- Hate to hear that you caught the virus. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Patrick- Happy very belated birthday.

IBKen- Every time the weather guessers mention the s word, our grocery stores run out of bread, eggs, and milk. Not sure why this folks panic and think they will get snowed in or something. I was born and raised in the south, Florida originally, but I just don't get it. Congrats on the grab irons.

Troy- Nice miniatures. Always was intrigued by war gaming, but never had the time to get into it.

All you guys with snow- keep that 💩! We're already floating down south, we don't need icebergs too!

There was no railroading activities yesterday, so no news to report there. I did figure out that my new glasses were delivered on Saturday. The weekend was rough. I put trash on the curb Saturday thinking it was Friday (thankfully they were running a day behind) and when I checked the status of the last gift I had ordered for my wife's birthday yesterday, I saw it had been delivered the day before (which I thought was odd for a Sunday, but whatever). Somehow I tried to cheat myself out of an entire weekend, but still had the weekend. I think all of this rain is starting to make me crazy. I don't know what day it is anymore. To get back on track, happy about the glasses. I can once again see after 2+ years without them. Never could put together enough money to buy new ones, and when I could There was always something more important to spend it on. Now I just have to get used to having them on again. Happy to see, annoyed with them sitting on my nose all day.

May or may not work on the layout today. We are planning to go out to the mall to walk around today. We both have major cabin fever from being cooped up too long. Planning to do a nice dinner as soon as we can arrange things for our son to spend the night at grandma's house. We don't get many nights like those, so looking forward to it. There will be no railroad activities that night either.

Y'all have a blessed day. I'm going to see if I can scrounge up another cup of coffee.

Mornig from the West! Starting the day at 42 and heading for 63 with partly clear sky. This is about average for our "winters" - usually our cold comes between now and the middle or so of March. Thankfully only a couple days of 32 and below which usually warms up to 50-60 during the day.

I'm probably not making much coherent talk since I need my "jolt" of caffeine to get started.
I see that JESSIE did not order his plate of bacon this morning, so FLO, let me do the honors today!
Here you go Jessie, have some of my bacon - leave me a few and I will join you in the corner?

Better run and deposit the trash barrels out to the curb - recycle one is full - the others I may just leave alone.

Ok,
Ventured out enough to run the snowblower, so the driveway is clear, just in time for another 1-2" of snow the weather guessers didn't predict. But what are you gonna do.

Took the daughter and grandson to his dr appointment due to bad roads. I can get around as I spent a lot of windshield time in winter areas with work over the years, so you get a better handle on winter driving. Just remember what you've learned over the years.

Hope you folks from Texas stay warm.

Well we woke up to 7 degrees and about 6” of snow on the ground. Thankful we still have electricity (our house is all electric). Told the wife to remind me to be thankful when we get the next electric bill from our Coop. Been a little worried about whether our new heat pump could handle this cold based on things we have been told about them not working well in extreme cold. So fold it is holding temp right on the thermostat setting.
Well, Flo I will take a refill on that coffee now. Nothing else as I had an early bowl of cereal - trying to save energy and avoid those rolling blackouts.

Good morning. Holy cripes do I have some catching up to do. I am glad this place is so active.

Thanks for the comments on my posts and pictures.

Chet, above all stay positive, good wishes to you.

I love the pictures of trains real and models. Pictures of the white gifts from above are fine but really seem out of place coming from southwestern USA. The son texted a few times yesterday as the freezing rain fell in Austin, Texas yesterday as his agave plants got covered in ice. They are seriously worried about pipes as it was 10f degrees with a wind chill of -5 a few minutes ago.

I finished painting the grain bins yesterday and promptly dropped one. I will fix it this morning and hopefully I can add the ladders and landings this afternoon.

Have a great day
TomO

Good morning everyone. Doing this from the phone this morning since we are experiencing rolling blackouts since 2:00 this morning. Up until the last one, they have been 45 minutes off and then 20 minutes of power. We're not in sync with the ISP, so no internet. 2 degrees outside and 5" of snow. I feel sorry for the neighbors with electric heat while I'm warm.
That's it for now.

Good Morning everyone...very cold again and snow approaching for tomorrow maybe 2 inches and then maybe 4 inches...who knows until it stops snowing.

Spending the morning waiting for the roofers and cruising the web and emails. I got an NMRA email that has links to various topics and layouts. Thought since the Corvid has many of us home-bound, you can watch some model railroading videos. The video are linked and the side bars has some links to equally great layouts. These layouts demonstrate that switching layouts can be as detailed and as much fun as a massive home layout.

I found this older video of Eric Brooman's Utah Belt and I didn't realize how large the layout actually was and this video is a showcase of his work. I like the rock work and weathering of his rolling stock.

My back has improved so I just may venture down to the layout tomorrow. Just a few minor pains when I move wrong or try to pick something up off the floor.

I spent the night dog sitting for Riley. I sleep in a recliner in the den next to Riley's crate to keep her company and she's active after a few hours of sleep and then tries to climb up and join me. I finally gave up and the little critter slept at my side from 1:00 AM until she woke me up at 7:00 AM. Montanan is so correct that the Doxies like to be with people and cuddle. BTW Riley likes the re-runs of Law & Order - SVU.

So much for today...................

Stay warm and dry.

Greg

#####################

PS: Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a puppy from tearing up their Potty Pads???

News just announced they're starting the rolling blackouts here. Not sure how I'll be affected as the town I live in generates it's own power. Might explain the 1.5 hour outage this morning. Taking us off the grid. That's a usual sign we're off the power grid. Buy it when it's cheaper and generate it ourselves when it costs more or emergencies.

Afternoon All,

Started out over at Mom's helping helping her then coming home to do some chores. After lunch I got some MRR time and ballasted about 5 ft. of track that on one side has 3 tracks, the other side has 4. There's also 5 T/O's in the section. I ballasted this section because the IR sensors have to placed in the ballast and I'm not sure about exact placement yet.

Jesse- What part of SC do you live? I lived in Summerville 79-81 (Navy) and my wife grew up in a town close by called Jedburg.

Greg- Glad your back is doing better. Nice videos.

Chet- Hope you're feeling better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back