Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

A cold 5° and breezy this morning, with wind chill at -12°. Some schools have closed buildings and everyone is online school today and probably through next week. Temps for this weekend dropping to the -5° to -10° with wind chills in the mid -20's to -30's. Here???? I knew it would be a cold day in hell when I turned 60...LOL We're under wind chill warnings through Monday and a winter weather\blizzard warning tomorrow through Monday. Depending on which weather model you choose to believe, we're either going to have 2-4" of blowing snow or 8-12" of blowing snow or a tropical heat wave. Personally, I'm choosing the heat wave...The snow and cold are a hoax. 🤣

At least I already have Monday off, but depending on the weather, may be out Tuesday as well. My sister is moving mom to a new care home this weekend closer to some of us, so no more trips to the U.P of Michigan. Mom is going to be 200 miles north near Kansas City, where I have another sister living. She and her boys, along with another nephew in the area, will be able to at least be closer.

Justin: Condolences and prayers for your family. It's never easy to lose a loved one.

Good morning y'all. It is 36, feels like 29, and is wet with more rain predicted through Tuesday. Percentages are: 60, 100, 60, 50, 50. I'm thinking that I may have to add boat construction to my list of services provided. We have one day of sun predicted next Wednesday, followed by another 80 percent chance of rain on Thursday.

Flo- Coffee please. If this rain does not let up soon, I may require a little Bailey's in it before long. I'll also have a mountain of bacon and a bagel please.

Patrick- Send some of that heat wave this way. I'm not ready for summer by any means, but it would be nice to walk across my yard without sinking into it.

Justin- Prayers of peace and comfort for you and your family today.

Terry- Good luck on your commute.

I will join everyone in the excitement for Friday, but my days are being to blur and Friday has no real meaning today. It does however mean that I was blessed enough to wake up and pop in for a visit.

According to the tracking gurus at Amazon, my rail joiners have arrived in Lancaster this morning so they should be in today's mail. That will be nice. I am going to try get some time in on the layout today, even if it is only to run a few trains around. I am excited to get my roadbed in place, but I am also dreading taking the track apart in order to put it down.

I am also reconsidering my plans to add a truck scale. I know a lot of things on my layout are not, and will not be, period correct but I am looking for some degree of realism. And I just don't know if having an on-site scale would have been something found at a freight depot in the 70s. Anyone have any advice on this?

While I have not made any real progress lately, I have been perusing the interwebs for detail parts for my buildings. I have come to the conclusion that I could get myself into some real trouble on shapeways.com. So many nice things there, so little money in the budget.

Ok, coffee and bacon are ready, time to claim my spot.

Y'all have a blessed day. I'm going to lurk for a bit.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 21° with no precipitation here this morning. We may see the sun for a bit this afternoon. That freezing rain and sleet never made it this far north yesterday. Disaster yesterday for the Dallas/Ft Worth area and southward though. 100+ car pile-up in Ft Worth killed six people. Maybe we'll hear from GeeTee this morning with an update on conditions down south around Austin. NWS forecast did not change from yesterday to today, probably because none of them got on the roads to go to work. Still predicting snow Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday with lows Monday around 0°. I haven't seen weather like this since 1989. By this time next week we'll be in the 50's. Meanwhile I have gathered all of the potted herbs around the garlic tub and will cover them beginning tonight..
Preparing for the delayed weekly grocery trek today, wonder if the shelves will be bare. We don't need TP, bread or water so we're probably good. After we saw the accident reports yesterday, my wife chose not to go to work and I wasn't even going to attempt to go south to Kroger. Turned out that it didn't make any difference since the precipitation didn't make it there

A big pile of scrambled eggs and another pile of sausage patties over here this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's scenes; Chad, Tom O, Patrick, Tom, Rick, Chet, James, Justin, Karl, Dave, Guy, Curt, Phil, Lee, Ken, Sherrel, Gary, Jesse. And also to Joe & Hughie (among others) who reacted to the weather maps

Very little time in the train shed yesterday. Too chilly and no modeling. I did run some trains though.
More from the archives. My very favorite build, Jack's Back Yard from Bar Mills.
01-28-18 009.JPG

01-28-18 008.JPG

01-28-18 007.JPG

01-28-18 006.JPG

01-28-18 005.JPG

Guy - Great story regarding the cookies and muffins. You deserved them although I know that you did the good deeds without expectation of reward. Reminds me that I need to double check that I have a set of cables in the car. Not for me as I got a new battery last August, but in case I come across others.
Jesse -
Pretty sure the ground rodent got his prediction wrong. I see no winter, only rain.
I am seeing just the opposite here. Winter is usually waning around this time and I usually have a third of the garden planted.
Garry - Good luck with reaching the neighbors, hope that you can get through. My SIL lost her power over in Cookeville TN earlier in the week. I think that they are a few (maybe many) miles SE of your home.
Hughie -
Pipe busting weather in this part of the world.
While that's always a concern for us being on a pier and beam foundation, my greater concern is actually the outlet in the field where my shower/washer/dishwasher water drains. Periodically running some hot water usually takes care of things, but the 0° coming up may cause a temporary problem. The other issue in the past is the "S" trap under the shower.
Tom - Good news about your wife. Hope that she continues to improve.
Greg - You'll be really pleased with the ScaleTrains locomotive. I am really pleased with all nine of mine. Good luck with your decision to rebuild or not.

Wife's 71st birthday is today. I guess that I should see what she wants for her birthday dinner
Everybody have a great day. Stay warm wherever you are. Be a safe citizen.

Willie- Must be that global warming/climate change/whatever they are calling it this week thing. Whatever it is, I'm sure that is somehow our fault and the world is going to end in another thousand or so years if I don't give up my gas vehicle and steaks. 🤷‍♂️ Happy Birthday to your wife. Y'all enjoy your dinner tonight. I was supposed to be taking mine out tonight, as her birthday is Sunday, but I'm not sure if that is still the plan or not.

Good Morning all 12 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo Coffee and a Blueberry Muffin with lost of butter. Like Willie it’s just to cold to run the trains in the garage.

Justin. Thinking of you this morning so here’s a some Weaver O scale Boxcars and other rolling stock I have on my O scale layout for you.
Be safe and careful today crew.
688AFD70-CD8D-4E7A-807B-1C335F909B32.jpeg
5D5C8D7F-8E73-45E5-9431-04FC196C5C93.jpeg
C54D6FBC-AF27-4983-BE98-B14E79D549B2.jpeg
52E66D96-770B-40C1-A490-B64662647C94.jpeg
7BB101D0-FD93-470D-A4F0-82E8E6D4A776.jpeg

Morning!
It's still hovering around -14°F this morning. I suppose that wouldn't be so bad, if the wind chill didn't make it feel like -35. I was already outside at 6:00am to start the truck and unplug it for the wife; that wind cuts right through the pajama's.
Think I'll have macaroni salad this morning, just because there's so much of it left-over from yesterday. Since I'm alone today, I'll just eat like I'm a bachelor.

A very warm Thank-you for the many likes received on yesterday mornings post! ☺ It makes me very happy that you enjoy my little on the run notes.

Dave - That's a fine looking home you are putting in. I suspect that the whole construction and preparation adventure is giving you considerably more anxiety than you are letting on here in the shop.

Curt - Interesting schematic and control boards. - Looks very deep!

Very cool layout photos from Lee, Chet, and Willie. I study those photos to get ideas on how to proceed with my own layout.

Karl - Can you correct factory applied numbers and lettering without damaging the factory paint? The newbee's in the crowd would like to know what you have planned for 763.

Today's photos describe a tank-car make over that I would like to attempt.
I have 3x of these Walthers Trainline BCOL tank cars, all the same road number. These were purchased due to a more reasonable price compared to the more appropriate tank cars:
02-12-2021.jpg

I would like to convert them all into something that looks similar to this:
02-12-2021 (1).jpg

The biggest issue that I see is the short dome height of the Walthers car. My plan is to cut the dome off an old Life-Like tank car, and fit it onto the Walthers car to raise up the dome; if it fits.
I'd also like to change the ladder and break wheel on the model car. In my mind, doing all that would bring it fairly close to a good conversion.
Might just be a dream, but, I don't much like the high prices demanded for new, quality tank cars. So conversions might be worth the effort.

Anyway, I'm yapping too much again. Time to sip some more coffee and do something else with my mouth.

Have a good one!

Good morning from chilled So. Central Wisconsin. It is warmer now at -1f degrees then the -4 when I got out of bed at 6:30 but the wind chill was only -12 now it’s at -18. Crazy.

That is quite the incident in Dallas/FW and six dead is terrible. The son texted from Austin yesterday said they had a nasty accident down there.

The grandkids will be here at 9 to swim. The daughter will then head over to pickup my curbside grocery pickup. The dinner tonight will be the Friday Shrimp Fry, I am ready for that.

Train plans are more of the grain complex build. I have the music playing and will read a book after the kids leave.

TomO

Icy this morning never got above freezing yesterday . 25,000 without power in Austin ,some I35 overpasses closed , but not too bad ...so far,

Sunday and Monday is when it gets rough . Meanwhile freezing rain followed by more freezing rain followed by

Sunday
A slight chance of rain and snow after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 36. North northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Night
Occasional snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 17. North wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Washington's Birthday
A 40 percent chance of snow before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. North wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 11. North wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.

Followed by more freezing rain Tuesday night ...followed by even more freezing rain Wednesday.

Predictions right now call for 4-6" of snow by Georges 's Birthday.

P.S. I would have taken another pic but it looks just like the last one ...the icicles are just twice as long. Haven't heard any branches busting...yet.

Good morning ...

I just looked over all of your recent posts, and it is good to read about various activities and events.

Justin ... In your case , the word , good, is not the right choice. Your post is very sad. Apparently, all of the Coffee Shop Patrons feel your grief. I can tell you are well liked here. Praying for you today.

In my previous post, I said I was concerned there may be weather related problems back at home. Our neighbors checked on our house, and all is okay thankfully. They did not drive on our icy road. Instead, they walked though the icy woods following deer paths to get there. We owe them a favor.

everybody, have a nice day.

WOW - Lots to try and catch up on. Morning All! We are at the low of 52 degrees and expected to be only 58 later on with "misty" and possible showers. Interweb says we received one - one-hundredth of moisture overnight? I would like to know how they can measure that?

GUY - Wish I could send you a couple of Red Caboose tank car kits that I have. I have had them for years and will never come around to building them - 8k amd 10k models.

WILLIE - Happy Birthday to Arlene - because I am not there - you will have to buy - lol, LOL, LOL! 😁

FLO - PLease just leave the coffee pot when you pass by with Jesse's bacon - maybe I can"lift" a peice or two?

Yo Flo! I will me nice hot tall cup of coffee. Tell Mel to spill that Kahlúa in there and don't skimp on it!

I will take Steak n eggs scramble with swiss cheese n shrooms and with 2 slices of toast. Splash a little Tabasco on the eggs please!

That'll warm me up!

Ya so the consensus is for today and thru the weekend as everyone is posting...... it's COLD COLD COLD COLD!

I am going to burn wood all weekend. A 3 day weekend so light my fire baby burn burn burn lol!

II hope to get the rest of the lower shelving up and install the LED lights this weekend. We shall see how that goes.

On another note I bought 3 bags of wooden HO scale RR ties already weathered/stained. It wasn't cheap, I spent 40 bucks and there is like 1,500 per bag I think it was. I should have it in a week. I bought these for scenery and not actually laying track. I wanted to do a couple of realistic loads and such and have a few "haystacks" around the layout when I get to doing scenery and such.

Ya'll have a good day!

bought 3 bags of wooden HO scale RR ties already weathered/stained. It wasn't cheap, I spent 40 bucks and there is like 1,500 per bag I think it was. I should have it in a week. I bought these for scenery and not actually laying track. I wanted to do a couple of realistic loads and such
Wow! - That sounds like 4500 finished ties! - As soon as I read that, I had a picture in my mind of me cutting 1/8"x1/8" spruce sticks in half length wise, like I did to get some ties a couple of weeks ago. I'd have 4500 ties in about 5 years doing it that way. So, 40 bucks might not be so bad!

Very little time in the train shed yesterday. Too chilly and no modeling. I did run some trains though.
More from the archives. My very favorite build, Jack's Back Yard from Bar Mills.
View attachment 124672
View attachment 124673
View attachment 124674
View attachment 124675
View attachment 124676
Nice! The junk makes the scene. I was talking with Brett Gallant at Sierra West Scale Models the other day, and he told me that probably 70% of the cost of his kits is in the detail castings.

Wow! - That sounds like 4500 finished ties! - As soon as I read that, I had a picture in my mind of me cutting 1/8"x1/8" spruce sticks in half length wise, like I did to get some ties a couple of weeks ago. I'd have 4500 ties in about 5 years doing it that way. So, 40 bucks might not be so bad!

I will post the bags as soon as I get them! Thanks for the break down. I wasn't sure what was a good deal. I really didn't want to spend the time making them when I had so many other things to do like getting the layout ready to lay track 🤣

EDIT: Here are the bags I purchased (1) bag has 250 ties; bag (2) has 1,000 and bag (3) has 2,500 ties so I stand corrected 4,000 ties total. Each bag are various sizes which is perfect for what I want to do.

1613146838306.png

Last edited:
Happy Friday! Ever hear that phrase "I saw it in a window and I had to have it"? The heavy work on O'Neill's is pretty much done. After I get the welding shop together it will be mostly building stairs, platforms, and painting a gajillion detail castings. For my next build I'm thinking this: It's a small repair shed. I don't know about you but the initial rush of opening up a kit like this and looking at the goodies is a big part of the experience for me. This won't be a large build but it will make a very detailed scene. Can't wait. Check out those castings!

Logging & Tractor Repair Shed Kit Box.jpg
Logging & Tractor Repair Shed contents.jpg

SWSM Logging & Tractor Repair Castings.jpg

Good Morning all! It's 39 with a "feels like" 31. And the real cold and possible snow comes Sunday and Monday.
I did manage to pour some Woodland Scenics water yesterday. Maybe a second pour this afternoon.

Justin - Prayers and condolences

Willie - Jacks looks darn good. That's a Bar Mills? Oh and wish the missus a happy birthday

McLeod - Could be an interesting project.

I am still working out some of the scenes for the layout. I need to finish the river before to much can be done on that end of the table.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back