Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Sorry to just drop off. Family situation has kept me busy.
Dad is on comfort care, meaning no more measures to keep him here, so it's just a matter of time. Covid restrictions will keep us from him. Mom is ok so far. She will be going into assisted living here on an emergency basis. Once again Covid is keeping us from taking her with us.

My route through Wisconsin usually takes me through Eau Claire, Wausau, Rhinelander, Eagle River and into Michigan. I'll try to run back through Ladysmith, where they have some nice equipment at points around town. Monday put me behind, as freezing fog between Des Moines and Albert Lea put me about 2 hours behind.

Patrick, are they worried about him infecting you, or you infecting him? If they are worried about the latter, my thought is, what difference does it make to possibly speed up the inevitable? It would be better for him to be around his loved ones at this time.

Here's the answers to most if not all of your questions.

First up the tie guage : Homade from 2 pieces of ME flex hot glued to 1/2" foil back foam.
Tie_Guage.JPG

Next the spikes , 40 year old ,aged to perfection , Perfect brand spikes , at least I think they're Perfect , it has been 40 years.

spikes.JPG

Ties are taped with masking tape on the gauge , pulled up and glued down with Titebond on to grey matboard. Rails are then hand spiked

Spike_close.JPG

Lastly the ties about $6 for 750.

Raw_ties.JPG

So far I have done 3 no8s code 100 and 4 code 70 no 6s, The code 70s are BK Enterprise kits that I got ridiculously cheap >$2 for about 15 or so.

Patrick, are they worried about him infecting you, or you infecting him? If they are worried about the latter, my thought is, what difference does it make to possibly speed up the inevitable? It would be better for him to be around his loved ones at this time.
Worried about us spreading to other patients. There may be a change as they are going to move him to a local care home, which has different rules for this type of end of life.

Afternoon All,

My Mom is being discharged today. She was treated for blood clots in her lungs and she has a mass on one lung. The hospital was supposed to do a biopsy today but decided to discharge her instead. :mad: I haven't been able to go to the hospital because I've been fighting a bug for 2 days now. Once I'm better I'll get together with my parents about what's next for Mom. I see a pulmonologist in her very near future.

Joe- Great pictures.

Patrick- I'm very sorry to hear about your parents.

Willie- Great details. I have been temporarily assigned to 2 carriers in my career (Kitty Hawk & Coral Sea) for sub exercises. My boat at the time (USS San Francisco SSN-711) was selected to go to San Francisco for Fleet Week (late 80's). We were moored at Alameda NAS with a modern carrier on the other side of the pier. You could barely see the top of our sail from the pier. The brow was at a very steep angle. The pier was huge compared to what I was used to as a submariner.

Chet- Really nice photos.

Mikey- Interesting machinery. I remember seeing the flight deck footage of the Forrestal fire in boot camp during our firefighting training. I'll never forget about a Chief that was running towards the fire with a large CO2 extinguisher. Just as he got to the flames there was a huge explosion and he was gone.

Terry- I met my wife at NAF Wash DC (on Andrews AFB). I had just reported to my first shore duty. We stuck with it and both of us retired from the Navy and have been married 42 years now.

James- I'm glad the surgery went well.

Tom- Interesting critter.

Karl- Very nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello Shop Dwellers, I'm back - or should I say my own laptop is back from the shop with a fresh new Windows 10 op system. Got it back yesterday afternoon, then spent the next several hours restoring my backed-up folders and reinstalling my non-Microsoft apps. Everything is pretty much back to normal, except for one thing I neglected to include on my checklist: Exporting my Chrome "favorites" to a file where I could import them back later. So I'm going to have to rebuild my list of links one-at-a-time. Certainly not a disaster, but still an annoying inconvenience.

Ken: Never knew that. My wife's father's family is from Reading, her paternal grandfather worked for the Reading Company. I prefer the solid green to the yellow - green schemes, and both to the OD Green scheme. I recall the resentment toward the Reading, when they were using nice new Green Scheme SW1001s, while we had mostly grungy PC SW1s to work with.
. . .
Yes indeedy Joe! My wife did her 3-year medical residency at St. Joseph Hospital in the northern downtown area of Reading (can't remember the exact address), we had an apartment in West Wyomissing, and I commuted between there and my I/T job in Maryland. IIRC, I had to pay state income taxes to both PA and MD during that period.😒

The picture below is from a unknown unmarked photo. I am going to try to convert a HO scale aTV to this as Herzog goes across almost all rails in the USA.

Judging by the front cowl It looks to me like an older model Kubota RTV-X with the optional A/C cab that's been customized with rail running hardware and a box in the bed , and then painted white, https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/brochure-sheets/rtv-x-series.pdf?sfvrsn=415f5c9a_8 .

Unfortunatley Kubota doesn't make them in HO scale , just full scale and 1/32.https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defa...ota_toy_catalog_2017_v6.pdf?sfvrsn=3527ed22_2

Well I went to work today and told myself I was going to work only four hours lol that didn't happen. Left after 7 hours....and I am paying for it as I am very sore now. Tomorrow I may have to stay home. We shall see how I feel when I get up. Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and such.

I am happy to have been chosen for the COVID-19 vaccine tests! I am one of the first chosen to try out the Russian vaccine, and was given the first of 4 shots just this morning. Other than a slight sting to my arm and some redness at the injection site, I am not feeling any side effects aи не было уменьшенного диапазона движения или боли в моей руке. Я с нетерпением жду борьбы с этим diesease с помощью моих русских Comrades!

I am happy to have been chosen for the COVID-19 vaccine tests! I am one of the first chosen to try out the Russian vaccine, and was given the first of 4 shots just this morning. Other than a slight sting to my arm and some redness at the injection site, I am not feeling any side effects aи не было уменьшенного диапазона движения или боли в моей руке. Я с нетерпением жду борьбы с этим diesease с помощью моих русских Comrades!
You haven't got the accent quite right yet. Learn to slur your words a bit more. Wasn't able to translate

Less see dum dum dum blah blah blah ah here we go ...side effects include increased resistance to cold , and sudden urges to join a collectivized farm or commune.

Morning all,

No new news yet. They are supposed to move dad about mid-morning. Once they have him settled, we may be able to see him. Mom is getting used to the idea of moving. I don't think it has completely hit her yet.
I will be leaving in the morning in an attempt to get ahead of bad weather.

prr: Hope your mom is ok.

Greetings all!

Kind and positive thoughts to those dealing with Covid issues in their families right now. I fear this may not be the end of it on this forum for a while.

Coffee only, Flo.

Waiting on the wife to shower, so I can my turn. She gets first crack at the hot water, since her commute from the front room, down the hall and into her home office is so long. ;) But, she makes the big bucks.

I'll be off to Target for a grocery run after that. Try to go as early as possible to avoid excess shoppers.

The past few days, I've hit 3,000 words a day on writing. I *May* get the book finished tomorrow morning. I'm that close. Then it back to the beginning for the spit and polish.

Oh, and an online gaming session of our favourite WWII game, Bolt Action, on Saturday. Get together with friends from California via Skype and Roll20. We do it virtually through the Roll20 map and move the icon system.

I think the shower's open. Gotta run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back