Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if not Chrome directly, it is based on Chromium, which is a Google based open source software. New Edge is usually a revision or 2 behind Chrome.

Thank you Patrick!

Good Morning All. A cooler 76° and clear except cloudy on the NE horizon. No comet again today, but today may be the last day for morning viewing anyway. Still avoiding the elusive triple digits here, only 97° yesterday. Absolutely no wind during my walk this morning, the 87° pool felt quite good upon returning. No rain in sight until September. It's been staying up in Patrick's area lately.
Looks like Texans are taking the face mask precaution seriously, all stores and restaurants are displaying signs on their doors that state that one is required now. Compliance was 100% at all of the places that I visited yesterday. The Wine Store even had a box of masks at the door for customers; I got one even though I already had one on. My wife took two! Of course these aren't N95 masks but they do offer some protection. Dollar General, which doesn't have automatic doors, had their doors propped open so customers didn't have to contact them. I saw several other establishments doing the same thing.
Tomato crop is waning here, I only picked a dozen yesterday after none on Wednesday. Still have quite a few though. Current guesstimate is about 300# so far this season. About three dozen have managed to escape to our two daughter's homes. Surprisingly the squash crop is still producing, despite the heat and grasshoppers. Sadly though, I have made so much salsa and spaghetti sauce that I am down to about 15# of onions still left. Time to dig through the bottom of the freezer for any leftover chopped onions that I froze last year, and save the whole ones for onion rings.

Sausage omelet and French Toast for me this morning Francine. Of course a cool glass of OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress and tour: Guy, Jerome, Chad, Sherrel, Patrick, Garry, Chet, Phil, Curt, Justin, Tom.

Yesterday out in the train shed, was another odds and ends day. I resumed vacuuming the streets and dusting vehicles and structures.
Here's a view down the street leading from downtown Ft Wish through the light industrial district, facing north into town.
07-11-20 014.JPG

Then I spent an hour tracing that stray wire in the top of the picture. It is not even supposed to be on this side of the backdrop, it was simply draped over it to get it out of the way when I worked on the scrapyard side earlier in the Spring. After much tracing because I never marked the wiring at that particular terminal strip that it came from, I got it connected where I had originally intended; maybe I had pulled it loose at some point?
Back to the layout. Immediately South of the Coffee Distributor and plumbing supply warehouses, there's a liquor store.
07-16-20 016.JPG

This is a Grandt Line Section House which I like as a small liquor store. The wire on the ground in the rear is for interior lighting which is also on the "round tuit" list.
Next to it is an oil distributor.
07-10-20 015.JPG

This is another Walther's kit known as Richland Oil. I believe that I have seen parts of this kit on Chet's layout somewhere.
Continuing south we come to some more small businesses.
07-10-20 016.JPG

Joe's Radio (CB's which were popular once) is made from DPM wall sections and Import Motors is another Walther's kit. The closeup shots of both were not in focus so I'll try again today. The result of opening an adult beverage before picking up the camera!:cool:

Joe - Speaking of Covid testing, when we were at the orthopedic doctor Monday, wife asked if she had to get a Covid test before outpatient surgery, He said no, not unless you have symptoms. He also related that since he had no symptoms, he couldn't even get tested!
The CDC is under fire for changing positions numerous times to appease the interest screaming the loudest.
Maybe that's why the reporting is now the responsibility of the HHS. I posted a link yesterday regarding the CDC director blaming vacationing northerners for the spike in the Sunbelt. Interesting thing here is that the State of Texas is now reporting that the spike in cases in Houston, seems to be related to the large protests held there recently. Surprised that a liberal bastion like Houston has admitted that.
Mike - That is one neat Shapeways street sweeper. Thanks for the link.

Today is National Lottery Day. Looks like I won since I didn't spend any money on any lottery, never do.
Everybody have a great day.

It's just getting light out here where we are expecting 90 for a high today!

TERRY - Sorry to say, but the State needs your money in order to pay for the slaves that you never had!
(Seriously, sorry you are on such a carousel)

WILLIE - Nice pictures of your Empire! I like the 'Import Motors' and the tank farm!

Good Morning, Everyone! 55F here with a cloudless blue sky; expecting to get a high of 70ish. There was a whopper of a storm that blew through last night, dumping a lot of rain in a hurry. I'm hearing there was some flooding, here and there. Just the usual summertime stuff.
My home will never flood, as I'm high and sitting on about a hundred feet of sand. The lower town, down by the rivers, is definitely sitting on a flood plain. It is the reason that I never looked at the less expensive property down below, and bought on the hill.

Willie - Every morning, I look forward to your wonderful posts. I'm consistently surprised how extensive the layout is. It's easy to tell by today's photos, that dusting such a large layout must be an ongoing issue.
I really like the Import Motors. There is a very similar building here in Mayerthorpe, the next town over. It is an automotive repair shop. That town looks like it might be going ghost; the main street is boarded up for the greater part.

I have not heard of a single case of Covid in my small town. Haven't even heard of a case in the entire MD of Woodlands. It is business as usual for the most part. Makes me think that our town is just a satellite, apart from the civilized world.

Today's photo has nothing to do with modelling; and everything to do with a real pain in the rear. It's a photo of the Little Red Tractor that came home after 20yrs away. It's my tractor, that I bought new and used in business in the mid-90's, mowing lease roads and MD road right-of-ways. It made me a lot of moola at the time.
Now it's come home, because the fella I sold it to went bankrupt, and couldn't deal with it. So he gave it back to me. Now I have to fix it, and sell it again. And it is in ruff shape, after being away for twenty years.
I'm thinking that I might fix it, and put it back to work. Why not! Nobody bugs you on a tractor!
IMG_8736.JPG

Anyway, I suppose that's enough wasting you're time!
Have a great day, everyone!

Howdy everybody .

Willie .... You are creative. I like the little liquor store and the Import Motors. Nice work.

Guy .... Interting story about the tractor. Sounds like you have a project to take care of.

I'm leaving shortly for an appointment with the oral surgeon. Tooth extraction and bone graft so I can have implants. I'm having major dental work while also going to numerous medical appointments for various issues. ..... It never quits. Well, eventually, it will, but I don't wish to talk about that.

Everybody ..... Have a nice day !

GUY - The Tractor Doesn't look too bad on the outside? Actually, The tyres look very good - certainly not 20 years old!
Good project - after all it is summer up there and good temperatures to be working on metal objects outside - not when it is 20F below and your fingers stick to the wrenches!

GARRY - Good luck with the teeth. I solved that problem 20 years ago with dentures - broken a couple plates trying to eat things that I should not have - a couple of $500 repairs and I learned that lesson.
Just to let you know that I missed seeing your usual FINE Photos of your layout - good thing we have Willie working?

I guess that they finally put the fire out on the Marines water taxi!
After 4 days of fire - I wonder if the ship will be seaworthy once more?

I guess that they finally put the fire out on the Marines water taxi!
After 4 days of fire - I wonder if the ship will be seaworthy once more?

Sherrel: That was a nasty fire. I suppose the future outlook for the BHR will be determined once it cools down sufficiently. My guess is the scrap line.
The Wasp class is too small to efficiently accommodate the new generation aircraft the Marines are using. Aircraft carriers are particularly vulnerable to fire.

Guy: Your tractor project looks like a challenge. Good luck with it.

Tooth extraction and bone graft so I can have implants

Garry: Good luck with the dental work. Implants are better than straight dentures, especially full plates. Not sure how much titanium, I want to add to my chemistry. They may be on my horizon at some time.

Interesting thing here is that the State of Texas is now reporting that the spike in cases in Houston, seems to be related to the large protests held there recently. Surprised that a liberal bastion like Houston has admitted that.

Willie: Interesting how different things are down in Texas. When it comes to testing, one needs to display symptoms for any other medical situation, and have a script otherwise you don't get one. Covid should be no different. Up here the politicians, and the media have decided that testing is the solution, and some want mandatory testing each time we venture out the door. Much of what we have to contend with in jersey is Risk Management or Murphy's egotistical whims. He thinks he is still an omnipotent executive at Goldman Sachs. (He sorta reminds me of another prominent egotist).
We are expecting some traditional summer weather, beginning Sunday, and already the media is cranking out the hysteria, and determining when we should be allowed to leave our homes. Everything here is a freaken overblown crisis.

Nice selection of layout photos too. Keep 'em coming.

Good afternoon from the So. Central portion of Wisconsin. Spent an extra night in Illinois but home now. Hot and humid, worst tomorrow wit heat index to be over 100. Nice pictures from all, thanks for sharing. I have not visited the layout yet since we have only been home a hour or so. Have a bunch of little projects to do but no ambition yet. The picture below is the programimg, experimental area for the layout. If I want a continuous run, I add the bridges left of the Railbox. Enjoy your day. TomO
A19EDB34-BDAD-4008-899B-28224E89AA42.jpeg

Good evening.
I think I've calmed down enough to talk about the issue with the returned license plate.
I got another letter from them, in which they doubled-down. I now am required to pay their fees for not keeping insurance on a truck I don't own until they find the license plate, I also am being told I have to drive to Raleigh for a hearing. And I am being charged a fee for the hearing.
Is Murphy demanding overtime pay yet, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back