Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's clear and 59.
I've had an interesting couple of days. First, I was reminded that many people have no idea what six feet looks like. I've had to settle for "arms'-length" at work. One customer insisted I use a mask and gloves to touch his car, then proceeded to get in my face during his orientation.
I then got to deliver a travel trailer to its permanent mooring near Asheboro. Afterward, I stopped by my cousin's place to wish him and his lovely bride a happy Nascar Day. When I told him about some of the antics of my customers I've had to deal with, we decided for me to just wave through the window, as both of them are getting "up there" in years, and considered high risk.
Morning all. Happy Saturday! I still have a ton of windows, detailing, and minor work to do but I'm down to three cars left to paint. I'm starting to feel that rush you get when you can see the end of the project coming. Gotta be careful though, because that's when you are most likely to make mistakes! Thanks to all who have offered compliments or comments. Hopefully this will help someone out if they ever decide to do anything like this.

Karl: Nope, no pre done glazing! But fitting windows for this car will be easier than you think. I just use clear styrene, paint it on the inside with a mixture of Tamiya clear blue and green, then cut a piece large enough to fit inside the car from bottom rail to bottom rail. I'll show a photo of this when we get there!

Garry: You're a lucky man! Growing up in PA and living in WI I never got to see any of this growing up. Now and then on my various trips to CA I do get to see what's left of some of the railroad's physical plant, and I've been to some museums where various equipment items are preserved. Other than that, most of my experience with the SP has been through it's well documented history.

Here is the results of yesterday's decal work. I've fiddled with decal methods a bit. On a couple of cars I'd lay down the stripes, blot excess water, and let them dry before flooding with Micro-Sol. I found that this way requires multiple passes and lots of revisiting with a pin or #11 blade to get rid of air bubbles. I get the best results by letting the water stand . then flooding with micro-Sol while everything is still wet. You do have to keep an eye on things more this way, and correct any drift that may happen if the decal should float. That doesn't happen often but it's something to be aware of. Note the smaller COSF lettering on the sleepers. I was sweating how the name was going to have to be cut up to fit in between all of those little upper berth windows, then I found photos of the actual car. One reason the books are essential!

View attachment 113335
"City of San Fransicso"...

Other than being a sleazy character herself, she and her team sure brought down the crime rate there. I know that there were some questionable and heavy-handed tactics involved but they worked. It's a shame that Stephanie and Catherine let things reverse as badly as they did.
BTW Has Catherine reported for jail yet?
Like so often happens she was in the right place at the right time. O'Malley started the crack down on crime. Now she claims credit for stopping the "stop and frisk" programs. The Supreme Court of Maryland stopped it and she opposed stopping it!

Just another bullshit Politian with an alternate version of the facts. Combine that with constituents that don't read the news paper and here we go again!

If Dixon wins the Democratic Primary, maybe, hopefully Baltimore will have it's first Republican Mayor since Theodore Roosevelt McKeldin left office in 1967. But I doubt it.

In my book, honesty and integrity trump ideology, no pun intended.

She is not in jail yet! Can you believe the Judge gave Pugh an extension until the end of May?!

What is worse than stealing gift cards meant for underprivileged kids for Christmas? Who does that?! Shelia Dixon and she was convicted for it! But her cronies in the prosecutors office plea bargained it down to a misdemeanor. I'd rather have Marion Barry. Smoking crack with prostitutes is not as bad as stealing from Santa Claus.

Relax, this is not about politics, it's about lying criminals.

Complaining about crooked politicians is still politics, you're just splitting hairs.

DARN - Just cannot have any fun?
The problem is finding a non-lying one!

Say, Buddy, You Got Any Toilet Paper?
Pacific, Missouri somewhere in the past.

SLSF #4024 with doghouse.jpg

Howdy ....

I do have one more photo I took of GTW 1776. It is in Pontiac, MI with the Santa Claus special for employees.

36605295092_a236c5edcc_b.jpg

Sherrel .... LOL .... I think it is called a doghouse and not an outhouse.... That is great news about your being cancer free for 5 years !

Willie .... It looks like you are making lot of progress with a scrap yard.

Boris .... We are similar to you and your wife regarding the virus. We have been hunkered down for 9 weeks. Eventually, however, we must get out for medical and dental appointments. My hair is way too long now.

Last edited:
Good Sunny, Cloudy, Sunny, Cloudy...Warming-up Morning, Everyone! It is going to be a wonderful day, and I'm even hoping it will rain because I fertilized my lawn yesterday.
Up at 5:00am looking out the window expecting to see wet ground (weather-man said so); nothing! I wish they could fire weather forecasters as easily as they can fire a hockey coach. They have millions of dollars worth of equipment, and still don't know. A grasshopper is a better indicator of weather conditions.

Sherrel - It's wonderful to hear the news is so favorable. Good for you!!

Willie - I did not weather that tractor. The model is part of the WS Auto Scenes series, and is packaged built and finished. I'm collecting stuff because I hope to have a town maintenance department on my future layout, and that means road construction equipment is required. I took a photo of what I have so far to be placed in the scene. I intend to scratch-build a maintenance shop.
Toys_05-16-2020.JPG

Anyway, that's all I have for today! Except to thank everyone for the likes on my last post: Thank you for reading it!
Have a Good One

Complaining about crooked politicians is still politics, you're just splitting hairs.
politics
[ˈpäləˌtiks]

NOUN
  1. the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.
    "the president's relationship with Congress is vital to American politics" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    government · local government · affairs of state · public affairs · diplomacy · party politics
    • the activities of governments concerning the political relations between countries.
      "in the conduct of global politics, economic status must be backed by military capacity"
    • the academic study of government and the state.
      "a politics lecturer"
      synonyms:
      political science · civics · statecraft · statesmanship · polity
    • activities within an organization that are aimed at improving someone's status or position and are typically considered to be devious or divisive.
      "yet another discussion of office politics and personalities"
    • a particular set of political beliefs or principles.
      "people do not buy this newspaper purely for its politics"
      synonyms:
      political views/beliefs/leanings/sympathies · party politics · political alliance
    • (the politics of)
      the assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society.
      "the politics of gender"
Technically you are correct, In that criminal activity would be considered devious.

Forgive my transgression.

Good morning, y'all. Suddenly got warm yesterday, hit 87° and remained sunny most of the day.

Willie: The view of the Junk Yard from the cab is great. Armed Forces Day, has become sort of a forgotten celebration. In the immediate post WW2 and Cold War era, it was a more noteworthy event with open houses at all the bases, and exhibitions at other locations.

Sherrel: I'm happy you shared your good news. You are so right, that your survival took so much out of you, but I'm sure you would agree, that alternative obviously, would be worse...

Louis: I imagine you will somehow manage a more permanent display to run your trains. They are no fun, sitting in the box, and the floor is not as inviting as it used to be.

Alan: Those cars are outstanding. I look forward to a video of the train once complete.

I share Alan's interest in passenger trains, although my era of interest is much later in time, [mid to late 1960s], I want to begin working a passenger car project as soon as my current expansion is completed.

Freehold Station.jpg

Trenton and Red bank Gas Car pauses at Freehold NJ PRR station around 1960. Service lasted until 1963. Station still stands, housing a convenience store, and serves several NJT bus routes. The CNJ station was two blocks to the East. The railroad is still active for about two miles to the East, , and intact to the connection with the Southern Secondary at Farmingdale. The portion between Farmingdale and Sea Girt is gone, and partially converted to a trail.
Main St Freehold by Don Wood 1957.jpg

photographer Don Wood took this photo from Freehold station, in 1957 of the farewell to steam excursion operated to commemorate the end of the PRR steam era in Jersey. Downtown Freehold is not at all different than it was 63 years ago. Because Freehold is the seat of Monmouth County Government, there are numerous restaurants and other businesses still thriving. Note the $0.24 price per gallon at the gas station down on Hudson st.

One customer insisted I use a mask and gloves to touch his car, then proceeded to get in my face during his orientation

Terry: yesterday, someone on the local FB page was pontificating on why we shouldn't wear gloves. her reasons struck me as absurd, but like your customer, their perception is their reality. I wonder how many folks were infected because they chose to follow mis-information?

I wish they could fire weather forecasters as easily as they can fire a hockey coach.

Guy: Really! It would probably be just as futile.. Bad source information, and cover all bases forecasting doesn't work for a Weatherperson any more than bad hockey players hurt coaches longevity. Yesterday, all we heard about was afternoon and evening severe thunder storms. Nothing materialized.
Today was supposed to be sunny, it's not! Ray Shero brought in a bunch of bad or under motivated players. He General manager. is now the Devils EX
General Manager. Unfortunately, Lonnie Quinn is still the CBS 2 Weatherman.

Eventually, however, we must get out for medical and dental appointments. My hair is way too long now.

Garry:
Fortunately, my remaining hair grows so slowly, that I normally have it cut about every 60 days. I'm only a month overdue. The only time(s) we have been out since March 12, has been four trips to the supermarket and pharmacy, and two trips to the doctor(s), and one trip to the vet. Monday, I go to two different doctors, so two separate trips, two separate masks, and pairs of gloves.

Now that they have opened up the beaches, parks and golf courses it will prove interesting to see how much of a spike in infections we see. As far as I'm concerned, let the others to be guinea pigs. We will stay home.

New Jersey offers what they call the "Senior Freeze', which supposedly freezes tax rates at a base level for homeowners over 65. catch is that the computation includes all income, including income excluded from state taxation. The published threshold, this year is $95k. The catch is that the maximum income for eligibility always gets reduced to something like $60k in July when the budget is approved, knocking most people out of consideration. So for the sixth consecutive year, I'm going through the motions, just in case...

Frankford & Oxford 4 Alarm 5_15_2020_4.jpg

This Four Alarm fire occurred yesterday morning in Philadelphia. Shows some of the difficulty fighting a fire from under the Market Frankford Elevated Subway line (which remained in service). Fire took out half a block, commercial and residential structure(s).

E7s wait for motor to cut off 3-7-64 SA.jpg

Back to South Amboy, where it's 1964, and E7s have replaced Baldwin Sharks on NY&LB Passenger trains. Power sits below Church St, waiting for Motor to cut off.

Well, it looks like the weather forecasters got this one right. It's been raining since just after sunset last night and there's water standing all around the SFW estate. There's 2.5" currently in the rain gauge, pool has been overflowing all morning, my pond is full and the trek out to the train shed is sloppy at best. On the bright side, this is exactly what we need to drown all of those newly-hatched grasshoppers that I have been seeing all week while I mowed. It looks like we have another 4-6 hours before it stops!
View from front porch.
05-16-20 014.JPG

So much for grilling tonight! :(

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours visiting a couple of MRR friends today so no workbench time today.

Thank you for the likes on the building.

Louis- Nice controller and nice photos.

Joe- Thank you. Nice photos.

Mike- That sounds like a great food. We have a local Cajun restaurant but it's food is hit or miss.

Sherrel- Great news.

Alan- More great cars.

Willie- Thank you. I like photos of long lengths of track.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Checking in quickly again. The computer has been off and still unable to get forum updates on the phone. Was out mowing the lawn for the first time this season and managed to harvest the dandelion crop at the same time. NASCAR will be running at Darlington tomorrow. Nice to see them racing again.

As of next Monday the state of Montana will have everything back to normal. The last few restrictions such as gyms and bowling alleys will open. The one and only place with any restrictions is Costco with their face masks. From what I understand the manager isn't very happy with that. We'll start shopping there again when the face masks are no longer needed. From what I understand we were the least affected state. I do feel bad for those still having to put up with restrictions.

Some really nice photos have been posted. Hard to pick a favorite but I think Sherrel came up with the best.

Curt - That is one sweet looking building. Nice job.

Alan - I glazing supplied for that dome car ?? Looking good. Like the video. That's gonna be a sweet looking train when it's done.

Sherrel - Did you feel the earthquake the other day? I understand that the main road between California and Los Wages was shut down. Saw some photos and the road looked like it could use a little repair work.

97913884_1243290092714137_7308973253236621312_n.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back