Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, I was hoping for an update on the prime rib, how was it?
Paul - Oooops! Sorry for the lack of an update. It was delicious and more delicious. Too bad you couldn't make it. I cooked a six pounder so there was enough for everybody who might have come. Sadly no one here but me and my wife.
Leftovers used to be hard to do, however one did it, the meat always cooked past the medium rare stage. Then I discovered a fantastic way to preserve its integrity. Slice the amount that you want and slip it into a Ziploc bag, ,remove as much air as you can and seal it. Set a large skillet on the stove and heat water to 120Β°. Submerge the bag and leave it for no more than 5-7 minutes. I usually turn the heat off after a minute or two. Heats without cooking unless you leave it in too long. I also have to place a pot of water on top to keep it submerged since I can't always get all of the air out.
Bon AppΓ©tit!

train.jpg

Been a while since I was at Camden Station. Quite a while. The last time I was there was when we brought the Chessie Steam Special to town and did a couple weekends of trips out of the station. At that time, nobody wondered why it was called "Camden Yards". Except for the then relatively new Aquarium, that part of town was still kind of rough.

Karl- That blows.

Part 2 of that, a.k.a. I got this!

There is a silver lining to this cloud. I did manage to fix it. See, like my father before me, I am a tinkerer and a packrat. Both traits served me well here. Rummaging through my part bin and comparing the "surviving" stanchions, I found that Athearn BB long stanchions were a perfect match for the brass ones, but they would not take solder. Removing the remains of the others had shown a guide hole for rach that fit the Athearn part. Now before anyone has a tizzy about putting Athearn BB parts on a brass engine, calm down. This loco has been decorated for a fictitious road, and will be run mercilessly by the owner and his 12 year old daughter. This is no museum piece. Frankly the Athearn parts are an upgrade, as this engine is NOT what I would have expected out of Overland. Really, it only had a 4 wheel pickup system til I got ahold of it and it's a noisy as a BB Athearn. Anyhow, before and after pics, plus the stanchion remains are in order. Enjoy. I'm gonna have a cold one!
IMG_4099[1].JPG
IMG_4100[1].JPG
IMG_4102[1].JPG

BOB said, "A couple of comments. If you're making a longer post, with a lot of pictures and interesting info, don't be afraid to start a new post just for that."

Nice, BOB, but we all know that LOUIS just likes to play with the "Post reply" button!

Hey, as long as he posts, I won't complain. But if anyone gets inspired and wants to create another thread. The software does support multiple discussions at once. ;)

I only wish I had paid more attention when I was young. The Amtrak GG1 train was unforgettable seeing it fly past up close.

Back in the late 70's, I was heading north to Vermont for a ski trip. A friend was driving a monster 1960's station wagon, 3 rows, roof rack, and maybe even the fake vinyl wood siding, LOL. We were watching for trains on the way, and some place in Connecticut or something, I saw a GG1 in the station. We stopped on the side of the road and admired it, and then it departed. I said "Hey, see if you can keep up with him!" He looks at me and says "Are you kidding, this thing has a V-8!" Well, he did manage to keep up with him but he was totally shocked by the acceleration. When we got to about 80 mph, he couldn't believe it. It was like 2 AM, so we drove along at 80 for a ways until the tracks split off from the road. Would have made a great video, but the primitive camcorders back then were out of reach of college kids, and besides, they certainly couldn't shoot at night.

I won't be posting everyday for awhile; just don't like posting without photos. Activities will be limited to pushing the like button.
I will be reposting my prototype photos in the railroad forum, though. Actually, it will be nice to have them all in one spot.

So, I'll leave the shop for now. But, I have to post some photos, or I wouldn't be me. Some of this car is re-runs, some is not. I just like the car; its been sitting there all winter doing nothing, and its older than me.

Everyone have a great day! See you soon.
Guy

Thank you so much for all the photos you've posted. Stop by when you get a chance, hit like, post a comment, whatever. Of course we'd welcome more of your photos, but you can still post without them. Don't be a stranger!

Good evening all. Wow, I missed check in and now I have 10 pages to catch up on. Well today April 43rd we are preparing for State of Texas to re-open. Harris County requires face covering while the surrounding counties do not. Governor says face covering couldn't hurt but won't require or recommend it. Cats and dogs can get it but unclear if they can give it back. Antibodies may or may not protect you from re-infestation. Now Pepcid might be the cure. My head is about to explode .......... maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'm so confused.
Nothing new from the train room. A few locals ran yesterday.

Good evening.

Louis, B Bob, Willie, Guy, and anyone I missed: .. Thanks for commenting on my post with photos of my layout construction. Also, thanks to everybody who "liked" it.

Anybody who is considering building a new layout should consider the ability to relocate a layout in case you move. Design the layout accordingly.

Toot .... A Karl said, that HO caboose letted for Burlington is junk. CB&Q cabooses did not look like that. You are not an "idiot".

Everybody ...... Have a nice night !

Toot .... A Karl said, that HO caboose letted for Burlington is junk. CB&Q cabooses did not look like that
Oh, I knew it was junk, I figured they put all the oversize rivets on it to hopefully make it look not so. I am an idiot, 'cause I once bought, in a Proto 2000 box, an Alco PB dummy, for $20, just viewing it through the window. On opening at home I found a piece of rubbish with trucks that only had 2 axles each and plastic wheels. My cheapy went in the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back