Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, Everyone! It's -5C here at 7:00am on this bright, sunny morning in Winterland. Supposed to warm up to a snow melting, slush generating +12C later in the afternoon.
The start of the warm weather always triggers the wife into spring cleaning mode; so she's already told me part of my day involves vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning windows. So, I'm just going to put the boots into it, and get it done so I can do hobby stuff this weekend. The wife has some kind of really weird 'clean' sickness, but, I don't mind, because it's way more comfortable living in a squeaky clean environment. She does most of the work anyway, with a firm belief that I'm not capable of doing it properly.
Thankyou for all the likes and comments on my RS3 post: Gary, Tom, Ken, Jerome, Chet, Boris, Patrick, Karl, Willie, Flip, Chad, George, Bob, Sherrel, and Greg! :D Ha,Ha! I wrote them all down so that I could get it right!!

Oh well! The wife just flicked the lights on/off, meaning it's time to make a move. I'll leave you with this coal mine picture of Lovett, Alberta, taken in 1915. I worked on this same spot maintaining 70-ton electric heavy haulers, 82 years after this photo was taken. I like the bunkhouse up there. Might just scratch build one.
GTP_Lovett1915.jpg

All Have a Great Day!
Guy

One of the benefits of this current crisis, no cash tolls, all electronic even for those without an EZ-Pass. They send photo tolls to those without an EZ-Pass. It's beyond me why any Marylander does not have an EZ-Pass. The transponders are free now and you even get a small discount. With the commuter plan it's a significant discount.

No matter how little traffic, there is always some donkey trying to pay cash in the EZ-Pass lanes!
Louis- oh, how I do not miss toll roads/crossings.

Louis, one of the things most overlook about higher taxes is the benefits that most often come with them, but sadly, not always. In many of the lower tax states, services are not nearly as user friendly as they are in the higher taxes areas. On line services, or "one stop shopping" in a brick and mortar facility are much harder to come by in many lower tax states. Some of the scant services are by design, to make it harder to access services that a person may be due. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact that has been admitted to by more than one state as this pandemic puts a strain on some states barely extant social infrastructure. I complained about the taxes I paid in Illinois, but they did make most things easy to do when it came to state required transactions. The old saying is usually true, you get what you pay for!

Good Morning All. Clear and 46°, quite a change from yesterday. Mid-70's today, upper 50's tomorrow, and then at least a week of mid-70's returns. Rain possible over the weekend.

Sausage patties and a pair of sunny-side up eggs for me this morning Flo.

Thanks as usual for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Sherrel, Patrick, Bob, Louis, George, Chet, Guy, Garry, Chad, Phil, Karl, Joe, Jerome, Curt, Hughie, Ken, Tom.

Out in the train shed, the cleanup project continued. I have cleaned and vacuumed all of the rail ROW, just lagging behind on the structures. Moving on to the next block out front.
04-15-20 012.JPG

The unfinished structure in the center is a real concern right now. I started it in the old train room, but packed everything away before finishing it. I haven't been able to find the box with the rest of the kit. I'd like to just replace it with another structure but it is an oddball width and I don't have anything that matches. The bank on the corner is a Heljan kit.
04-16-20 001.JPG

Next to it is part of an IHC series of Houses of Yesterday, or maybe Stores of Yesterday, this one is Rita's Antiques.

04-16-20 002.JPG

Chet -
Willie - Good photos again as usual. Can't wait to see how you detail the area.
Not on the schedule for right now. Presently I am just going through and tidying up, I don't know what the next project will be yet. Rehabbing the initial structure was just a whim at the time, needed doing and I am glad to have gotten it out of the way. But it did slow the progress of the overall cleanup project.
Guy -
I see you have a few sports cars on the layout.
I have many more than I should. Years ago, I picked up a lot of 5-packs of vehicles from my local Walmart that were distributed by Malibu International. Those sets were heavy on sports cars, but were inexpensive at the time. They're well done but were pulled off the market because I believe they were infringing on another manufacturers products. I don't know all of the details. Too many of them are also convertibles as well. If I had 100 additional pickup trucks, I would be happy. In this part of the globe, convertibles were popular for the era that I model.
James - Wow! 147 outlets! I thought that I had a lot with 52.
Joe - I am also thankful for getting less junk mail. I am sure that our rural carrier is happy as well.
BTW, understand the stimulus payment is officially being called a "Rebate", so that the proceeds are not taxable....no actual proof of that, just saying...
You are correct sir.

Speaking of population density, my rural county's population density is 44/sq mi. That helps explain why there are still no confirmed Covid-19 cases here. Social distancing is easier. Local hospital is making 8-10 tests/day.

Everybody have a great day.

Louis, one of the things most overlook about higher taxes is the benefits that most often come with them, but sadly, not always. In many of the lower tax states, services are not nearly as user friendly as they are in the higher taxes areas. On line services, or "one stop shopping" in a brick and mortar facility are much harder to come by in many lower tax states. Some of the scant services are by design, to make it harder to access services that a person may be due. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact that has been admitted to by more than one state as this pandemic puts a strain on some states barely extant social infrastructure. I complained about the taxes I paid in Illinois, but they did make most things easy to do when it came to state required transactions. The old saying is usually true, you get what you pay for!

The taxes at my cabin that I consider to be high especially when we don't have trash pick, no local police (just the Sheriff), no salt used for secondary roads other than stop signs, hills and curves, volunteer Fire Department, 27 bed hospital, no street lights, weird zoning enforcement, no fire hydrants, voluntary med services... just to name a few of the lacking services, but I love being in the woods and the wildlife on city life.

What's worst is that we pay school taxes on vacant land....!!!!

Greg

Good morning America, how are ya? It's 48° with a high of 63°. We've had FROST the last two mornings! It could be worse..........in Illinois, they're calling for up to 6" of SNOW! We did have a few snowflakes in Cookeville Monday or Tuesday, but nothing stuck. We're ready for warmer weather.

Getting little things done and trying to decide which way to go, third bedroom/trainroom or trainshed. Train shed would cost more and take longer and be more work, but does have its advantages along with some disadvantages. Time will tell. I'm thinking the third bedroom will win.

Love the updates, pictures and stories. I read and enjoy all of them! I've got to run. Looks like I'll be able to burn some of the lead tree I cut down. I don't remember who, but someone asked about using the wood for wood working. Nothing big enough for anything other than some wood I'm going to save to try on my wood lathe. I've only got a Delta mini lathe, but I'm going to try some eventually.

Got to get busy, so everyone stay safe and six feet away!

Okay, Good Morning Everyone....sunny and cool in Wisconsin.

Going down to the train room soon. Not sure what I plan to do today, but the train room is my hide-a-way on on today being March 67. Stayed up late last night watching the depressing late night news about the economy, job loss, the fact that Kohls department stores may shut their doors (headquartered here in my Village) and the Virus.

Guess I need to run some trains and clean up the room.

I like doing bench-work and wish I could start construction on the layout expansion area. I need to find or design a track plan and I think I may have found one I like that has possibilities.

That's all for now....

Greg

#######################

Saxeville Junction.JPG
A early photo of what's called Saxeville Junction on the C&MN Railroad. Since this photo was taken additional scenery has been added along with details. How about that unweathered yellow flat car! It sure stands out in the crowd.

9:15 am and 34F. I saw a few flakes falling though it is supposed to get up to mid 40s today and mid 50s tomorrow. Rained yesterday. We had a cold front come through a few days ago and it was 29F when I got up 3 days ago, 27F the next day, 43F yesterday, and 34F today. It had been much nicer.

Anyway, Utah is friendly with most things you need to renew -- I've been able to renew my DL, CCW, business registrations, etc all online and with minimal fees (did CCW last night for $20). Pay property tax etc also all online. The city business license is not but it is a simple form to send back -- this year they did not even charge a fee for home-based business license -- just return the form to confirm you are still in business.

Good morning.

Good morning gang!
37 and sunny outside, heading to 50. Then rain for Friday and Saturday. Better get the lawn cut while I can today, by Sunday it will be a jungle.
But 1st, COFFEE! ☕😀
Oh and.....
View attachment 46652

Karl .... Actually, that my be good advice when we consider in what country are most model trains are manufactured. 😏

WIllie ... Those old IHC and Heljan building kits can make very nice models. ... Good work.

Greg .... I like your scene.

Louis .... I like today's Lionel photos.

Last edited:
Good morning. 19 degrees with what looks like about 5 inches of snow that fell over night. Supposed to be at 65 degrees by Saturday. No need to plow I guess.

93409461_760947640976988_7208864016607739904_n.jpg Are you keeping your social distancing ???? Sure will be nice to get back to normal (some day).

Terry
- Why can't you use the truck until the new part comes in? You must have a target on your back.

Karl
- There is one key word in the cartoon. the word is ALL. You can always leave some change laying around.

Joe - Now that's a good photo. That GG-1 is sweet. Have to laugh at your statement about the grocery stores. When I was working in trucking, we brought produce into Stop & Shop, Giant Foods and many other distribution centers on the east coast. Hated going into Jessup because the freight rates out of the area sucked.

Guy - Great old photo of the mine.

Bob and Louis - My gripe about higher taxes are how we get stuck paying to the high school. They just had to build a new one because of all of the newbies moving into the area, and not only is there a new high school, but they have to have their own athletic program and football field. We are stuck paying for both schools even though we have no kids in school. Our taxes went up just over 30% in two years, all due to the schools. The wife and I both are drawing Social Security. What a crock of BS.

Willie - Adding the small details do come when all of the building are in their final positions and when you manage to find the time. Looking good.

Gotta get out of here and give the dog a bath. She really need a grooming bad but needless to say, the groomer is closed.

Here's an old photo wheh I finally got the pond pun in on the last piece of empty real estate.

thumbnail_20190611_103057 (2).jpg

Later

We are stuck paying for both schools even though we have no kids in school. Our taxes went up just over 30% in two years, all due to the schools. The wife and I both are drawing Social Security.
In Texas, school property taxes are frozen when either spouse reaches 65. If you improve the property, then they can revalue it though. In addition, you can file a permanent deferment on all property taxes until either you sell the property or all owners die. Then the accrued taxes are collected either from the sale or the estate.

Good Morning All. Clear and 46°, quite a change from yesterday. Mid-70's today, upper 50's tomorrow, and then at least a week of mid-70's returns. Rain possible over the weekend.

Sausage patties and a pair of sunny-side up eggs for me this morning Flo.

Thanks as usual for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Sherrel, Patrick, Bob, Louis, George, Chet, Guy, Garry, Chad, Phil, Karl, Joe, Jerome, Curt, Hughie, Ken, Tom.

Out in the train shed, the cleanup project continued. I have cleaned and vacuumed all of the rail ROW, just lagging behind on the structures. Moving on to the next block out front.
View attachment 46655
The unfinished structure in the center is a real concern right now. I started it in the old train room, but packed everything away before finishing it. I haven't been able to find the box with the rest of the kit. I'd like to just replace it with another structure but it is an oddball width and I don't have anything that matches. The bank on the corner is a Heljan kit.
View attachment 46658
Next to it is part of an IHC series of Houses of Yesterday, or maybe Stores of Yesterday, this one is Rita's Antiques.

View attachment 46659

Chet -

Not on the schedule for right now. Presently I am just going through and tidying up, I don't know what the next project will be yet. Rehabbing the initial structure was just a whim at the time, needed doing and I am glad to have gotten it out of the way. But it did slow the progress of the overall cleanup project.
Guy -

I have many more than I should. Years ago, I picked up a lot of 5-packs of vehicles from my local Walmart that were distributed by Malibu International. Those sets were heavy on sports cars, but were inexpensive at the time. They're well done but were pulled off the market because I believe they were infringing on another manufacturers products. I don't know all of the details. Too many of them are also convertibles as well. If I had 100 additional pickup trucks, I would be happy. In this part of the globe, convertibles were popular for the era that I model.
James - Wow! 147 outlets! I thought that I had a lot with 52.
Joe - I am also thankful for getting less junk mail. I am sure that our rural carrier is happy as well.

You are correct sir.

Speaking of population density, my rural county's population density is 44/sq mi. That helps explain why there are still no confirmed Covid-19 cases here. Social distancing is easier. Local hospital is making 8-10 tests/day.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie- is it just a bad camera angle or is Rita’s Antiques leaning like the Tower of Pisa?

Gov Evers just extended his Safer At Home EO TIL 5/26(day after Memorial Day & urged people to not go to their 2nd homes or cabins Up North. Dairyfest is usually held the weekend after Memorial Day, as a kickoff to June as National Dairy Month. This puts that in jeopardy of rescheduling/cancellation. Dairyfest is one of the major civic events for Marshfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back