Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the drug hydroxychoroquine safe? So today I called the pharmacy to refill one of my wife's drugs she been taking for years to help with her rheumatoid arthritis. Little did I know it's the drug they use to cure corona virus hydroxychoroquine and their out of stock every where. I called her doctor and she said, it may also be helping her from getting the virus. How safe is this drug? It has to be safe because my wife has a heart problem and she been taking it all along. Gov Cuomo says it's unsafe and should only be dispensed in hospitals. That's probably why there's none available in NY. It's being sent everywhere else?
George

It was approved for the virus on an emergency basis by the FDA on March 30.

Here is what WebMS says:

It has been used a long tie for various things and is quite well known.

For the media coverage of The Plague: If it bleeds, it leads. There's no viewership of "good news" stories, so no advertising dollars, and no ratings, which correlate to advertising rates. Since there's no money to be made from telling anybody anything good, you're not going to see any news outlets covering it.
Not entirely true. Our local news station does three back-to-back 30-minute shows from 5 to 6:30 during the week. Since the shutdown, the Friday 5:30 show is devoted entirely to good news. Plus, they try to end every show with something upbeat. It's not much, maybe, but there's not much to cheer about, these days.

McLeod, I'm the same way. I enjoy looking at the pictures and I read all the posts, but I'm lousy at replying, commenting and liking. The gang here are all great friends, and incredibly talented. Myself, I'm a crusty old bastard with no talent and only the most basic tabletop layout and virtually no knowledge of real trains. I'm almost (that's "almost") embarrassed to post here, but the older hands have gotten used to me, by now, and I exist on (and abuse) everybody's sufference. Btw, in case you haven't heard, I'm the group's token atheist; I don't pray for anybody or anything, obviously, but I do send good wishes (I also don't mind if folks want to pray for me: I'll take help wherever I can find it).

George, hydroxychoroquine is safe, taken as prescribed. The problems I've been hearing about seem to involve people ODing. It's also not definitively shown to be effective for C19, and the doctors prescribing it are grasping at straws.

Can I get someone to model this?

FB_IMG_1586208432796.jpg

George: My wife takes Hydroxycloroquin Sulfate 200 MG for her Rheumatoid Arthritis, and has been doing so for over five years. She takes one dose/day. It's safe...but causes some nasty side effects. Brand name is Plaquinol, which is still made and available, but expensive, so Medicare D providers and Managed care insurers don't want to pay for it.
As far as how it works on the Corona Virus, most information is anecdotal and inconclusive. It was originally used for Malaria, and the primary producer(s), are in India. India began to hoard the drug, in case they had a major outbreak, so they stopped exports to the rest of the world. According to CNBC or Bloomberg, the exports have begun again. :rolleyes:
The State of New Jersey, has prohibited pharmacys from selling Hydroxycloroquin Sulfate to anyone not taking it for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, or other similar Auto-Immune disease. Only Hospitals can dispense it to Covid Patients.

BTW: Today is the first day in weeks that Coumo wasn't on at Noon on NBC4, or ABC7. :)

Curt: The track plan looks very workable. Like it. That mine kit looks like a challenge.

Paul: Nice photos!

Karl: No problem with PRR photos.

Greg: Like your wiring.

Guy: If all you ate all winter was tree bark, you's look likee that deer also. ;)😏

Willie: I look forward to your railroad photos.

Burlington Bob: Happy to hear your Walmart order for pickup is working well. Here, it doesn't work. Supposedly, the workers at the local Walmart are all getting sick...although that may just be a rumor. We have been going to Stop and Shop around 0800, every two weeks. Works for us. Name of the game here is to avoid going out when possible.

Today, I trimmed the grass along the fence line, and turned over and broke up the dirt in the veggie garden. Pretty much ready to plant.

PC Frankford Junction.jpg

Late in the PC era, thw crews shift at Frankford Junction.

We went to Walmart yesterday to restock a few things. We all wore masks. Several workers had masks on, but most didn't. About 20% of the guests/shoppers did have masks. We even scored a 6-pack of TP (we were not there for that as we have a couple packs at home but decided to get our 1 pack yesterday so we can keep up with use and keep a few packs ahead of 0). The store had most things except the cleaning products were mostly bare, and except for the one case of TP and a small amount of paper towels, the paper goods racks were empty. A few other scattered things empty but most things had some. (Didn't check rice). They had signs saying they were limiting entry, and had "aisles" set up outside to do so, but when we got there, I guess they were not at the limit as we walked right in.

We also stopped at another grocery store (Kroger affiliated). Most stuff except TP, cleaning items, etc were readily available.

We also had to stop at the post office. We saw lots of masks -- mostly on patrons -- one or two on workers. When we got there, no one was in line, and we were there for an appointment, not the retail line, and waited about 10 minutes for our appointment. Several people came in and left during that time -- about 1/2 with masks. When we came out the retail line was like 12 people long. A few masks in the line.

People are starting to take this more seriously. A week ago when I did our restock Walmart run there were a few masks, but in the minority. This time there were a lot more masks (still minority but twice or more as many).

Unfortunately, a clueless candidate for Congress trying to get signatures had at least one signature gatherer out going door-to-door yesterday (in my neighborhood -- who knows how many others in other neighborhoods). In direct defiance of the Salt Lake County stay at home order, and against guidance from the Lt Governor (who oversees elections) as well as the guidance given to candidates by both parties. This clueless guy had no mask (he did have gloves, which do nothing) and refused to leave the neighborhood when asked by almost everyone he went to. And teh candidate has been asked on Twitter, on his FB page, and through his campaign website about it and has ignored it and been silent...

George, hydroxychoroquine is safe, taken as prescribed. The problems I've been hearing about seem to involve people ODing. It's also not definitively shown to be effective for C19, and the doctors prescribing it are grasping at straws.

It has not gone through all the trials to "show" it is effective. That takes a lot of time. But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from doctors around the world who have had good success with it in helping people turn the corner. That is not "grasping at straws." Some day, after this is all over, someone will do a study or whatever, get it peer reviewed, and we'll know a lot more of the scientific details.

It has not gone through all the trials to "show" it is effective. That takes a lot of time. But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from doctors around the world who have had good success with it in helping people turn the corner. That is not "grasping at straws." Some day, after this is all over, someone will do a study or whatever, get it peer reviewed, and we'll know a lot more of the scientific details.
Point is, it's not the Magic Bullet the Orange-in-Chief has claimed, and its efficacy is almost entirely anecdotal. At best, it appears to have a little palliative effect, but no observed curative properties.

Btw, one of my nephews is a psychologist at the VA in Dayton, and three weeks ago predicted we'd be in Italy's position in about a month. According to both him and my wife's infusion nurse, the medical literature is far more pessimistic about the pandemic than the mainstream media. What you're seeing on the news, then, isn't just "If it bleeds, it leads."

Point is, it's not the Magic Bullet the Orange-in-Chief has claimed, and its efficacy is almost entirely anecdotal. At best, it appears to have a little palliative effect, but no observed curative properties.

Btw, one of my nephews is a psychologist at the VA in Dayton, and three weeks ago predicted we'd be in Italy's position in about a month. According to both him and my wife's infusion nurse, the medical literature is far more pessimistic about the pandemic than the mainstream media. What you're seeing on the news, then, isn't just "If it bleeds, it leads."

I am not sure I have seen Orange Man claim it is a magic bullet. At this stage of the game, there is ONLY anecdotal evidence, and that shows it as more than palliative. We are in this for the long haul.

Greg, the picture of Bill the Cat reminds me of the time when I worked for AMAX Coal Co. We had a big break down and us welders got the brunt of the work. It was hot, dirty and lots of grease. We also had a big box of rags that the company bought for clean ups..........for machinery and workers. Well, at break time we gathered round to clean up by wiping grease and dirt off with the rags before washing up. One of the other guys was wiping his face when one of the others started laughing. It only took a few seconds before everyone was laughing and Buck realized we were laughing at him, but didn't know why. He about died when he saw that he was wiping his face with a well used and LARGE pair of men's boxer shorts!

Needless to say, there were a LOT of comments made for a long time about that! It didn't help that his brother-in-law was also one of the people that saw the incident. His B-I-L was also one of the guys who worked hardest at keeping it going! Those were the good old days!

I am not sure I have seen Orange Man claim it is a magic bullet. At this stage of the game, there is ONLY anecdotal evidence, and that shows it as more than palliative. We are in this for the long haul.
""It could be based on what I see, it could be a game changer. Very powerful. They're very powerful."

Meanwhile, we have anecdotal evidence for a lot of things: ghosts, ufos, all kinds of alternative medicine, esp, telekinesis, astrology... By all means, do the clinical testing, but don't give anecdotes the same weight as clinical results. For one thing, we're seeing the same kind of "panic acquisition" of these drugs as we did with toilet paper, with the result that those who have an established and demonstrated need for the drugs are denied. That is irresponsible.

""It could be based on what I see, it could be a game changer. Very powerful. They're very powerful."

Meanwhile, we have anecdotal evidence for a lot of things: ghosts, ufos, all kinds of alternative medicine, esp, telekinesis, astrology... By all means, do the clinical testing, but don't give anecdotes the same weight as clinical results. For one thing, we're seeing the same kind of "panic acquisition" of these drugs as we did with toilet paper, with the result that those who have an established and demonstrated need for the drugs are denied. That is irresponsible.

That is not claiming its a magic bullet. And there are "very powerful" reports of people making recovery with its help. And lots of reports of it seeming to have little or no efficacy. It is hardly to be compared with "ghosts, UFOs, all kinds of alternative medicine, esp, telekinesis, astrology"

It will take years of research, most likely, to learn the truth. But at the moment, we don't have the time to scientifically 100% validate it with controlled double blind studies and extensive peer reviews. Since the drug is relatively well known, and low risk for short durations, properly administered and overseen by a doctor, and in some cases seems to have helped, then we should probably look at and use it where appropriate. And it will give us lots of data to use to determine how much efficacy it really has.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! Just making a quick drive-by post with the latest update from my neighborhood.

Been staying home except to go to the supermarket, and then I try to get in- and out of there as quickly as possible. I still have the surgical mask that my primary care doc's office gave me during my March 17 appointment, have started wearing that any time I shop. 80% of other people in the store were also wearing them when I went in today.

I've put a moratorium on any further ballasting, as well as any other type of mrr work where I normally use 91% ISO to break surface tension. I have one pint-sized bottle of ISO left, ~2/3 full, and I'm conserving that for use in wiping down doorknobs and refrigerator doors, and anything else I touch when I come home with groceries before I've had an opportunity to wash my hands. Haven't seen alcohol, hand sanitizer, or anything related to cleaning/sanitizing on store shelves for the past month. I suppose supermarkets are now becoming the #1 venue for new COVID19 infections since people can't really go anywhere else outside their homes.

My 24yr-old daughter who is an RN, decided to move out of our house for good a few weeks ago, probably to protect the rest of us. She works at Carroll Hospital Center (not far from where Karl lives), and she already has 2 COVID19 patients on her floor. So she's now on the Front Line of the battle.

Y'all stay well, stay safe & stay sane! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back