Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd forgotten my phone charger at work so had turned off the phone Sunday evening. The notification came just after that so they did notify us. I'm probably 1 of 400 or so that didn't get the memo and actually came in.

My boss's boss just came by and said I can work on train stuff today but probably not tomorrow.

I still can't understand the run on toilet paper. The virus is a respiratory problem.

The problem is not that you need the TP for direct bodily consequences of the virus itself. The perceived problem is that if we all get quarantined -- can't leave the house -- stores are not getting regular stocks as the workers are not there -- and you run out of TP, you will be in trouble and a lot of hurt. So the TP run is based on the fer of not being able to buy it if needed due to quarantine / lock-down. (We did not run out and buy a lot of TP -- we already had sufficient and I picked up a small amount a few weeks ago as a buffer before the general run started).

Went to the world's largest Costco on Saturday. It is the Costco Business Center in Salt Lake City. About twice the size of a normal Costco. They were limiting people going in to a slow but steady stream, and inside it was less crowded than on a normal Saturday. We had a 35-50' long line to wait in to get in and it took 10 min or so. They had gotten a restock of water and it was not pandemonium. People were well behaved. They were limiting it to two cases per member. We bought one just in case there is a local evacuation in the future and we need some water for the road, but otherwise the store had most things. TP was out, as was ground beef, and a few other items. Plenty of nitrile gloves and fresh meats (except the ground beef). Plenty of milk, cheese, etc.

Here is some solace: There was no run on the whole lamb carcasses and plenty to be had by all...

4tmLNbYjTrSR12WrNSBcEw.jpg

Chad - Here's something that could interest some people.

thumbnail_89851333_10157106653530954_2369252295759.jpg

Just for giggles, yesterday my wife went onto Amazon and did a search for toilet paper and found a lot of people gouging. 8 rolls for that bargain price of $30 with delivery sometime in mid to late April. Chances are that you may want to take a crap before that.

Jerome - That turntable was scratch built out of brass. It was given to me by a good friend, Pete Ellis, when he built an addition to his train room. It is powered by a player piano motor.

Mikey - I am pretty picky about the vehicles I collect. I model 1957 so there is nothing newer than that. There are a couple of Oxford Diecast that I can pick up. There is the 54 Pontiac in tan and the 58 Cadillac in red. I do have these two in another color.

thumbnail_20200201_090356.jpg

thumbnail_20190902_105122.jpg

My parting photo for this post.

89855004_10163054101125277_379457912470241280_n.jpg

Later

Hi, again.
I just got back from a shopping trip to the local stores. It surprised me to see how void of product the shelves are, and there are limits to the number of left over items one can buy. I was told people are driving out from the city, 2 hrs away, to see if our small town has anything left. I picked up a 40lb bag of white rice at a premium price, just as a back-up in case armagedon is here. We are good for a month or two, anyway. And I have lots of ammo and fishing hooks. A nice thing about my area is that you can go to a fishing hole and not come across another living soul.

It pleases me very much to see all of your layout photos. This is the type of adventure I aspire to achieve. My hopes are to begin construction of my own layout very soon. Think I'll call it the 'Whitecourt-Kaybob Western Leg'.

Mikey - I did try out your alcohol/marker wash idea. A very welcome idea, indeed. Thankyou.

Just now, I'm glueing on the foam track bed, so it's all weighted down in dry time. Might paint and prepare a piece of track this afternoon; unless the wife wants to go fishing.

All have a great afternoon!
Guy

Afternoon All,

Did some chores around the house then put 2 coats of paint on the door repairs. It locks into another swing out door (similar to French doors). The wife decided that since the other side lower locking bolt was sticking (not locking) that it would be a good idea to try to hammer the latch down busting the latch off:mad:. Of course then it took about 30 minutes to jerry rig the latch so it would work.

Garry- It will be interesting to see what you do.

Sherrel- Happy 29th Anniversary.

Willie- Neat looking kit.

Chet- Jon my friend (gets paid for building layouts) volunteered to do a initial track plan for me, so that's what I'm waiting on. I have been purchasing supplies and structures that I will need. Great layout pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Already almost quittin' time.

Once I got the VPN links created and tested, I've been working on "unbricking" some Windows 10 laptops. It happens when the college kid hire to do facility maintenance does IT stuff and doesn't follow the directions. So the administrator account doesn't get turned back on and the computer loses its connection to the domain. Then no-one can get into it. Since we retired the machines from service 6 months ago, it wasn't a bad thing that these machines were "bricked", that means they're as useful as a brick. I'm cleaning Windows 10 off the machines and completely refreshing from scratch. A little time consuming, but very usable laptops for people who "need" to work from home.

Glad several found my joke about Doritos funny, I stole it from my cousin's facebook page this morning...

Good Afternoon Everyone...overcast and cool.

I noticed that my printer ink was running low and with the deadline for tax filing is coming, I wanted to be sure that I had back ink cartridges on hand when I print my taxes. I didn't want to go out into the world, but I needed the ink. When to four stores for the ink since three stores were out of stock. I think a lot of people are working from home and are stocking up on their home office supplies. I was amazing when at Costco the number of people with carts full of water, toilet paper and snacks. Everyone was driving their vehicles like crazy!

Yesterday, I had a very productive day working in the layout room. Finished three more ore cars and started on five more Taconite cars either patching them or adding my CM&N logo on the cars. Painting the couplers, wheel sets, truck side frames and testing the cars for coupler action and height. Once the Taconite cars receive their final Dullcote application, I'll air brush some light earth along the sides of the cars for weathering and perhaps a wah of black to bring out the cars' details. I'll either have 12 or 24 Taconite cars.

I did look for the under the track Kadee uncouplers in the Pine River Yard. Found one above coupler and finally found one under the track uncoupler. Some body (Me) installed the under track coupler under a turnout!!! I did remember that I installed that Kadee uncoupler and used a really strong adhesive. I changed my mind on the track plan and the uncoupler ended up under the turnout. I didn't want to do a lot of demo to remove the uncoupler since I used super strong plywood as the sub-road bed. I tested the uncoupler and it works just fine for both the normal and diverging routes of the turnout. It will be easy to find the uncoupler for uncoupling cars before they enter the yard area.

The uncoupler's location is a hard reach to make any changes so it stays put. Not a recommended practice by the NMRA. This area known as Pine River Yard and is a switching puzzle and should give an operator fits until they know the tricks of doing switching movements. It may take two switchers to work this small yard, but it has several long spurs. I enjoy switching as well as main line running.

I ran that troublesome SD-39 for three hours without a problem.

Has anyone tried sharpening Exacto blades???

Beady: I like your posts and the Mrs. wants a pair of earrings like in your photo.

Love that stock market.

Wife is cancelling her trip to California for the four day wedding. I'll take her rail fanning instead.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

Good evening, y'all. The good news is that the on air people from Channel 2 were back on the air today, the four day quarantine is over.
BTW: WTF is so Politically Incorrect about Quarantine???? I really don't understand this insensitivity to everything, eh? Perhaps they are not literate in the English Language???

Stop and Shop will open special for us old farts over 60 beginning Thursday, from 0600 to 0730. Got my list ready. Too bad the "WineOLand" next to ShopRite doesn't open 'till 10:00. Confusion: Media reported New Jersey established a "Curfew" prohibiting folks from being out after 8:00 PM or 20:00 as you prefer. Then the Governour stated that it was NOT a "Curfew", just a suggestion for those not required by employment to be out after dark...

Oh, and the conspiracy theories...Take note, and while you are sequestering yourself, (love that word), write a screen play about this...

Seriously, My grandfather died of the Spanish Influenza, back in 1918..Our family doesn't even have a clue where he was buried, so things have been worse. The two fatalities due to the COVID-19, locally, are from the same family, apparently it spread at a family gathering. that just shows how easily it's spread. My wife is terrified,because she was at either the Hospital or Nursing home, several times last week and may have encountered someone infected...Unlikely, but the thought itself is frightening.

For those of you concerned about the toilet paper supply, my model railroad seres the model Scott Paper plant that makes toilet paper and paper towels, and tissues. We have an extra crew called to cover the demand for empty box cars.
RDG RR 1926 Train from Scott paper.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Middle America, Your Toilet Paper Re-supply is enroute to your local Grocer as we speak!

I did some work on the module today, it involved bench work risers. Maybe by the end of the week, I will have something worth showing.

Beady: Where can I order those ear rings. The wife's birthday is next month

I miss hockey...

For Garry and other CB&Q Fans... The "Denver Zephyr" on the approach to Chicago.

CB&Q Denver Zephyr August 1968.jpg

Slightly off topic, but a Shout out to the Bureau of Fire in Chester Pa (My old Department) for containing this fire within 30 minutes. It was a three story single family twin residence, about 100 years old with exposures on both sides. No Information on the photographer, but this was excellent photography. Went 3 Alarms, two minor injuries to Responders, Occured at 2321 on Friday 13.
1108 Kerlin Street 3-13-2020 2321hrs-2.jpg

1108 Kerlin Street 3-13-2020 2321hrs-3.jpg

Good morning. It's cloudy and 44.
My wife was off the breathing machine, and almost back to normal yesterday evening. The doctors are trying to figure out what happened, if and when it will happen again, and what to do to either prevent it recurring or treating it effectively if it does.

Morning all,

Hopefully it will be a little less crazy today. City closes the senior center and City hall to the public at close of business today. My co-worker asked if that meant we can be at home...Sorry IT is here, in the office, as we may need to restart actual servers or equipment and the Network Administrator needs to be here instead of home for his own sanity. While I can work from home, I'd rather not.

Currently 42* and cloudy this morning in Doo-Dah. Supposed to get in the middle 50's and rain this afternoon. I saw my peach trees are starting to show some color on the buds, so they will be blooming about the middle of next week. After the huge amount of peaches I got last year that broke a lot of the branches, I'm gonna limit the amount each tree has by selectively removing many of the tiny peaches before they can really get started. I just got to get past any late freeze first.

A different GN Car:

gn90g.jpg

bnsf971: Good news on the Mrs.

BOB: Thanks for updating the software. My waiting for the server to respond issues seem to be a lot better since!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back