Bachmann Spectrum 2 10 2 uneven running.

Bunst

Hello everyone,

I'm having some problems with a bachmann spectrum 2 10 2 I purchased second hand a while ago. The locomotive runs quite unevenly during slow running. Its not related to dirty track or electrical issues. The jerking motion leads me to believe that the issue is more likely mechanical or something along the lines of the driving wheels being out of quarter. During slow running the locomotive has a noticable forward and backward momentum change as well as a side to side rocking motion.

My end goal is to eliminate the jerking and restore smooth low speed running.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to accomplish this?

Welcome to the Forum...

Hav your check the drive to make sure there isn't any binding of the wheel and side rods? DC or DCC?

Welcome to the Forum...

Hav your check the drive to make sure there isn't any binding of the wheel and side rods? DC or DCC?
So the locomotive was serviced and oiled. The wheels free float to allow the locomotive to traverse tighter curves. The set up is DCC.

After I oiled it the running was definitely smoother.

Any other ideas?

It's Bachmann, so it being wobbly is just a bit of a given. You can find Bachmann steam that are perfect, but it's far more common to find a wobbler, at least in N scale. The only solution I've ever heard is oiling, which you've done, and sending it in for service. The thing with Bachmann is that they don't actually service anything, they just send you a new one. If you get lucky, the new one is better than the old one.

I have had good and bad running Bachmann locos. Worst was their Climax it was sent back to the factory 5 times. Since nothing at Bachmann ever gets repaired I started with the two truck which was exchanged with the three truck, then the two truck, the three truck and finally, again, the two truck. Then I told them to keep it this time and exchange it for their little 0-6-0 Porter engine. I was out about $200.00 when it was all said and done! However, I felt better knowing that the Climax was a real lemon! If you are a steam affectionado, your choices today, are pretty limited!

Also, I don't remember Bachmann ever having a 2-10-2 locomotive they were selling. They do have a 2-10-0?

Going with HO American Steam, we are limited to four manufacturers, Bachmann, Broadway Limited Imports and MTH. If your a HOn3 guy you have Blackstone. Yes, there are Brass imports; but, they are well priced! What I'm saying is, the Pickin's are slim!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Bachmann, so it being wobbly is just a bit of a given. You can find Bachmann steam that are perfect, but it's far more common to find a wobbler, at least in N scale. The only solution I've ever heard is oiling, which you've done, and sending it in for service. The thing with Bachmann is that they don't actually service anything, they just send you a new one. If you get lucky, the new one is better than the old one.
Right. Must be something mechanical though. Super loose tolerances or cheap motors/gear boxes?

I'll pull it apart again. I have some replacement motors coming for a brass alco I purchased a while ago and I'll check the slop in the drive train to see if I can figure out where it's coming from.

Still sounds like one or more drivers could be out of quarter. NWSL used to sell a quartering jig and a wheel puller. Don't know if the new ownhave any or will have, but you could contact them. I'm not that familiar with Bachman steam locos. Are the siderods between each set of drivers separate pieces, or a single piece? If separate, you might try removing the motor gear, and rolling the locomotive along a piece of glass by hand to see if you can feel any binding in the drivers.
I had similar problems to NP2626 with a three-truck Climax. It makes an excellent shelf display model! :(

Yep, out of quarter. I HATE plastic 'choo-choo's' for that reason. I re-quartered ALL my Bowser loco's and all my brass until someone 'borrowed' my Brazelton Auto-quarter and never returned it. Thats $175 I'll never get back. Of course that was 2003.

Back